Gotham City

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Astro13Zombie, Dec 2, 2018.

1. TheGuy

TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave

Nolan's Gotham in TDK and TDKR are reflective of the thematic aspects they presented and the character of the city. Definitely one of the best aspects in each film, regardless if it's not accurate from the comics.

Brother Jack likes this.
  2. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Well, yes, but I'd argue it actually was a notable problem, at least for Batman vs Superman. The one movie that specifically plays up a contrast of location, and it. . . doesn't. Visually distinctive Gotham and Metropolis wouldn't have saved the movie, but the change in underlying mentality which caused said indistinguishability? Would have helped, a lot, because the same mindset that caused this problem, IMO, also caused a number of other more serious problems.

Hopefully here, the director plays up the visual identity of the city. Not necessarily in a Burton-esque grotesquerie, but just. . . even in the real world, cities have unique images and identities. New York is not Chicago is not Los Angeles. You can make Gotham look like a real world city, and also distinctive, just by choosing which city is your template and what elements of the city to emphasize.

Kirk Langstrom likes this.
  3. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

I'd like a combination of real locations but using bigatures and special effects to give it a distinct identity and personality. If it were me I'd want a gigantic city bigature to shoot with for the skyline shots. Blade Runner 2049 did this.

C Prometheus likes this.
  4. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

I dunno. I'm rather apprehensive about them using a European city to double for Gotham. London lacks the verticality of an American big city. It doesn't have the early 20th century skyscrapers that define American metropoli and which are such an important part of the depiction of Gotham in the comics. Also, I would think at the street level it would take a lot of work to change London to Gotham. All of the street signs and traffic signals need to be changed. You need to avoid all of the roundabouts, etc. There are a lot of small details that separate a North American vs a European city. The difference is immediately noticeable.

5. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Maybe it's for certain regions of Gotham.

6. Invader Joker

Invader Joker Registered

7. thebatfan5194

thebatfan5194 Registered

Just because they're shooting in London doesn't mean they're not just going to be on a soundstage.

8. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

Gotham from the comics looks like a modern American city. That was actually the standard before Burton.

Brother Jack and TheGuy like this.
  9. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

Oh really? The way it was being reported in multiple threads here made it sound like they are doing location shooting in London. If its just soundstages.... great! Phew!

10. thebatfan5194

thebatfan5194 Registered

Idk all I heard was that they were filming in London, nothing about whether it’s on location or soundstages...

11. Random490

Random490 Registered

A lot of times filming on soundstage is more based on tax benefits the city may offer. Plus with the prevalent use of green screen and special effet these days you could turn almost any city into an american city.