Gotham City

Nolan's Gotham in TDK and TDKR are reflective of the thematic aspects they presented and the character of the city. Definitely one of the best aspects in each film, regardless if it's not accurate from the comics.

That was the least of their problems.

Well, yes, but I'd argue it actually was a notable problem, at least for Batman vs Superman. The one movie that specifically plays up a contrast of location, and it. . . doesn't. Visually distinctive Gotham and Metropolis wouldn't have saved the movie, but the change in underlying mentality which caused said indistinguishability? Would have helped, a lot, because the same mindset that caused this problem, IMO, also caused a number of other more serious problems.

Hopefully here, the director plays up the visual identity of the city. Not necessarily in a Burton-esque grotesquerie, but just. . . even in the real world, cities have unique images and identities. New York is not Chicago is not Los Angeles. You can make Gotham look like a real world city, and also distinctive, just by choosing which city is your template and what elements of the city to emphasize.

I'd like a combination of real locations but using bigatures and special effects to give it a distinct identity and personality. If it were me I'd want a gigantic city bigature to shoot with for the skyline shots. Blade Runner 2049 did this.

Gotham was boring in the nolan movies too. I'm liking the rumors about it being filmed in London though. Should have plenty of gothic architecture there.

I dunno. I'm rather apprehensive about them using a European city to double for Gotham. London lacks the verticality of an American big city. It doesn't have the early 20th century skyscrapers that define American metropoli and which are such an important part of the depiction of Gotham in the comics. Also, I would think at the street level it would take a lot of work to change London to Gotham. All of the street signs and traffic signals need to be changed. You need to avoid all of the roundabouts, etc. There are a lot of small details that separate a North American vs a European city. The difference is immediately noticeable.

CTJkPBB.gif

giphy.gif
667ffe721c37efa33f730699a70ccda4.gif

Just because they're shooting in London doesn't mean they're not just going to be on a soundstage.

Nolan's Gotham in TDK and TDKR are reflective of the thematic aspects they presented and the character of the city. Definitely one of the best aspects in each film, regardless if it's not accurate from the comics.

Gotham from the comics looks like a modern American city. That was actually the standard before Burton.

Just because they're shooting in London doesn't mean they're not just going to be on a soundstage.
Oh really? The way it was being reported in multiple threads here made it sound like they are doing location shooting in London. If its just soundstages.... great! Phew!

Oh really? The way it was being reported in multiple threads here made it sound like they are doing location shooting in London. If its just soundstages.... great! Phew!

Idk all I heard was that they were filming in London, nothing about whether it’s on location or soundstages...

Idk all I heard was that they were filming in London, nothing about whether it’s on location or soundstages...
A lot of times filming on soundstage is more based on tax benefits the city may offer. Plus with the prevalent use of green screen and special effet these days you could turn almost any city into an american city.

(I'm going to re-post this here since the Matt Reeves thread is 600 pages deep and counting. It's more relevant to this thread anyway.)

Here's some Gotham-esque concept art for The Order (PS4) by Joey Studz. Looking at his website I noticed he did a lot of the concept art for Reeve's last movie WftPotA. I can imagine him having a significant role in defining the look of Reeve's Gotham.

shot_160_vista_web.jpg

world_sketch_3_hi_res.jpg

the_order_a.jpg

the_order_b.jpg

(I'm going to re-post this here since the Matt Reeves thread is 600 pages deep and counting. It's more relevant to this thread anyway.)

Here's some Gotham-esque concept art for The Order (PS4) by Joey Studz. Looking at his website I noticed he did a lot of the concept art for Reeve's last movie WftPotA. I can imagine him having a significant role in defining the look of Reeve's Gotham.

shot_160_vista_web.jpg

the_order_a.jpg

the_order_b.jpg

Bit too Victorian London for me, but that’s some lovely artwork. Very Bloodborne.

The absolute best aesthetic for Gotham in this movie can be summed up using two words:

Blade Runner.

shot_160_vista_web.jpg

the_order_a.jpg

the_order_b.jpg

I would go with a look like this for 2021 Gotham

My preference would be to use a real city ala The Dark Knight Trilogy but shoot it/light it in a much more overtly stylized way. Not a fan of a full on Gothic CG construction.

I was just reading a little about Darren Aronofsky’s plans for Batman: Year One back in the day and saw he was planning to film in Ciudad Vieja, Montevideo. I thought that was really interesting. Would’ve created just as different a look for Gotham as Glasgow will in this film.

It was a mixture but I think they were primarily using the WB Leavesden studios just outside London and the massive air hangers in the Cardington Sheds.

However, we know there’s also been plenty of location shooting as they were spotted in the centre of London, Glasgow and were just about to head up to Liverpool before filming was halted.

I was just reading a little about Darren Aronofsky’s plans for Batman: Year One back in the day and saw he was planning to film in Ciudad Vieja, Montevideo. I thought that was really interesting. Would’ve created just as different a look for Gotham as Glasgow will in this film.
Looking at that i agree. But I definitely like the Glasgow vibe better for gotham

Gotham was boring in the nolan movies too. I'm liking the rumors about it being filmed in London though. Should have plenty of gothic architecture there.
Nolan shot in London too. Especially for Rises. He also shot in Glasgow.

It was a mixture but I think they were primarily using the WB Leavesden studios just outside London and the massive air hangers in the Cardington Sheds.

However, we know there’s also been plenty of location shooting as they were spotted in the centre of London, Glasgow and were just about to head up to Liverpool before filming was halted.
Ohhh we know. Haha. Those posts were from last summer long before the actual shoot. I guess this thread has been dead for a long time...

I loved the way Gotham looked in BB, felt less enthused with TDK where Gotham was just Chicago, and didn’t care at all for Gotham in TDKR where they used so many disparate locations that it lost any identity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"