Arrow (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quiver was pretty heavy on the supernatural side - something not all that common in GA. Even considering the whole DC Mythos. That being said, I DO think it was decent, considering it was a 'Resurrection' story line. Certain tie-ins, and the placing of where certain characters (i.e. Hal) does allow it to make sense...

As for what to read after Year One, that depends on what you want for flavor. If you want the feel of Arrow, then read Grell's run in the eighties. Longbow Hunters is a good place to start (also the first appearances of both Shado and Eddie Fyers, if I recall correctly).

Grells run through issue...was in the 60s, I believe, basically ran as a 'mature' title and stayed away from the majority of the main-stream super heroics. Very down to Earth, gritty, etc. Can't remember all of the stories, so I couldn't say how well the they stand up to the test of time.

Yeah, I wasn't too big of a fan of Longbow Hunters mostly for that reason. I also felt the ending was a bit rushed. I will say that I loved the artwork, though.

As for Year One, I liked that a lot.

Green Arrow works as a more gritty street-level character, especially an older Ollie, which is what Grell was doing, I loved it.

Green Arrow works as a more gritty street-level character, especially an older Ollie, which is what Grell was doing, I loved it.

I agree and I'm sure Longbow read great back in the 80's but reading it in 2013, it's a little cliche with it's grittiness in the same way that find a lot of Frank Miller's stuff is from that time.

It's not cliché because AT THE TIME it wasn't very common. If they tried to do it today, then it might be cliché.

Can anyone tell me some of the best TPB's involving Deathstroke? I really like the character and would like to read some stories with him heavily involved, whether he is fighting Green Arrow or Batman it doesnt matter.

Can anyone tell me some of the best TPB's involving Deathstroke? I really like the character and would like to read some stories with him heavily involved, whether he is fighting Green Arrow or Batman it doesnt matter.

Green Arrow-Crawling From The Wreckage

I didn't read all the posts, so I don't know if anyone recommended Jeff Lemire. He's doing some stellar work. I recommend you pick up his The Kill Machine graphic novel.

pickups
3Du1Dat.jpg

pickups
3Du1Dat.jpg
I got Longbow Hunters and Year One (new white cover edition) on FCBD.

LH was pretty good and Y1 is also good so far. I'm also looking forward to Smith's Quiver (new edition in a few months).

I got Longbow Hunters and Year One (new white cover edition) on FCBD.

LH was pretty good and Y1 is also good so far. I'm also looking forward to Smith's Quiver (new edition in a few months).

missing Hunters Moon and quiver..

First Green Arrow comic I got was Year One about 4 years ago. Loved it. I also got Longbow Hunters after I saw the reviews, I thought it was okay. Only read it once, Year One I read a couple of times.

Jeff Lemire's current run on Green Arrow has been awesome! I love what he has done with Count Vertigo. I buy the graphic novels... So I'll be waiting awhile for Lemire's next GN.

I really liked Lemire's first arc. His second, about the Outsiders, lost me a little bit. However he expanded on Green Arrow's mythology and introduced quite a few new characters and adversaries, leading into the next arc. I'm more interested in that new arc.

I really liked Lemire's first arc. His second, about the Outsiders, lost me a little bit. However he expanded on Green Arrow's mythology and introduced quite a few new characters and adversaries, leading into the next arc. I'm more interested in that new arc.

Yeah, I have yet to read his second Arc revolving around The Outsiders. Just waiting for the GN... Which will be a couple of months. Wish they didn't take so long with releasing them.

I'm definitely going to check out "Quiver" and "Hunter's Moon" asap... I've been meaning to get Quiver for the longest time. The last graphic novel I bought was Lemire's "Green Arrrow: The Kill Machine" a few weeks ago.

if I ever find out how to post a picture properly in here I'll show you my GA collection...just ordered a lot of stuff, in a mont's time it should be pretty big (already read most of it digitally but yeah, I'm the kinda guy who wants shelves full of comics ;) )

some collection from someone from reddit

x0YL6wx.jpg

M3wawmS.jpg

YJeYUd0.jpg

vLU75dq.jpg

UTd160U.jpg

7bBKsYl.jpg

xqiXn0o.jpg

My goal is to own every Green Arrow graphic novel/trade paperback ever published. That seems to be less than 40 in total; I already own around 25 now. :word:

Really, I had no idea getting into this character would be so accessible and comfortable. Sure, there are hundreds of single issues out there not collected into trades, but if you want to get familiar with the trade paperbacks, it's an easily attainable goal. There are trades on Amazon for like $3.50. Batman, Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man - forget about it. There's not enough time or money in your life. Green Arrow is one character you can tackle with no pain.

So far, I have read:

Year One
The Longbow Hunters
Hunters Moon
Arrow: Vol. 1 (Based on the show)
New 52: Vol 1 - The Midas Touch

I really had no idea I would end up loving this character so much. I think part of it has to do with the fact that his origin/character is sort of ever-changing, and the variety is so wide it's kind of a different interpretation whenever you go to read something else. I like that. Some things you'll like, some you won't. Most of the time, Superman or Spider-Man are EXACTLY who they are without any change for 60+ years. Green Arrow has a fresh approach for every new era, it seems.

Anyway, I made a breakdown of what I believe to be a well-rounded list of EVERY trade paperback you can buy. If this is wrong, let me know!

MISC:

Green Arrow: Year One
Arrow: Vol. 1
Arrow: Vol. 2
DC Showcase: The Green Arrow
The Green Lantern / Green Arrow Collection

MIKE GRELL:

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
Green Arrow: Vol. 1 - Hunters Moon
Green Arrow: Vol. 2 - Here There Be Dragons

RELAUNCH (Beginning with Kevin Smith's Run):

1. Quiver
2. The Sounds of Violence
3. The Archer’s Quest
4. Straight Shooter
5. City Walls
6. Moving Targets
7. Heading into the Light
8. Crawling from the Wreckage
9. Road to Jericho

LEADING INTO "GREEN ARROW / BLACK CANARY" (Continued):

1. Road to the Altar
2. The Wedding Album
3. Family Business
4. A League of Their Own
5. Enemies List
6. Big Game
7. Five Stages

LEADING INTO "BRIGHTEST DAY" (Continued):

8. Brightest Day: Into the Woods
9. Brightest Day: Salvation

NEW 52:

Green Arrow: Vol. 1 – The Midas Touch
Green Arrow: Vol. 2 – Triple Threat
Green Arrow: Vol. 3 – Harrow
Green Arrow: Vol. 4 - The Kill Machine
Green Arrow: Vol. 5 - The Outsiders War

Last edited:
My goal is to own every Green Arrow graphic novel/trade paperback ever published. That seems to be less than 40 in total; I already own around 25 now. :word:

Really, I had no idea getting into this character would be so accessible and comfortable. Sure, there are hundreds of single issues out there not collected into trades, but if you want to get familiar with the trade paperbacks, it's an easily attainable goal. There are trades on Amazon for like $3.50. Batman, Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man - forget about it. There's not enough time or money in your life. Green Arrow is one character you can tackle with no pain.

So far, I have read:

Year One
The Longbow Hunters
Hunters Moon
Arrow: Vol. 1 (Based on the show)
New 52: Vol 1 - The Midas Touch

I really had no idea I would end up loving this character so much. I think part of it has to do with the fact that his origin/character is sort of ever-changing, and the variety is so wide it's kind of a different interpretation whenever you go to read something else. I like that. Some things you'll like, some you won't. Most of the time, Superman or Spider-Man are EXACTLY who they are without any change for 60+ years. Green Arrow has a fresh approach for every new era, it seems.

Anyway, I made a breakdown of what I believe to be a well-rounded list of EVERY trade paperback you can buy. If this is wrong, let me know!

MISC:

Green Arrow: Year One
Arrow: Vol. 1
Arrow: Vol. 2
DC Showcase: The Green Arrow
The Green Lantern / Green Arrow Collection

MIKE GRELL:

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
Green Arrow: Vol. 1 - Hunters Moon
Green Arrow: Vol. 2 - Here There Be Dragons

RELAUNCH (Beginning with Kevin Smith's Run):

1. Quiver
2. The Sounds of Violence
3. The Archer’s Quest
4. Straight Shooter
5. City Walls
6. Moving Targets
7. Heading into the Light
8. Crawling from the Wreckage
9. Road to Jericho

LEADING INTO "GREEN ARROW / BLACK CANARY" (Continued):

1. Road to the Altar
2. The Wedding Album
3. Family Business
4. A League of Their Own
5. Enemies List
6. Big Game
7. Five Stages

LEADING INTO "BRIGHTEST DAY" (Continued):

8. Brightest Day: Into the Woods
9. Brightest Day: Salvation

NEW 52:

Green Arrow: Vol. 1 – The Midas Touch
Green Arrow: Vol. 2 – Triple Threat
Green Arrow: Vol. 3 – Harrow
Green Arrow: Vol. 4 - The Kill Machine
Green Arrow: Vol. 5 - The Outsiders War

I had the same goal (collecting all GA Trades) but I've gotten so into it that now I'm also collecting single issues (for the moment the important ones or just shorter arcs, but yeah, I already see myself spending money on some old Detective Comics to get to the GA backup issues ;) ).

That said, you're missing some of the lesser known trades.
There is

-The Poison Tomorrow (a GA Bats crossover from the 80s or 90s by O'Neil)
->I'm actually not sure if it's a trade or just a one shot but in every case it's just one book (I've ordered it but haven't recieved it yet)

-Batman: The ring, the arrow and the bat
->this one has a misleading title! These are O'Neil stories (more or less canon, they kinda mix the Golden age stuff with later things and have their own take on certain established things, but continuity in GA is always a bit tricky) that show how GA met GL (so the first story is without Bats!) and later how GA met Bats.So you see, it's a GA trade.

-The Wonder Year-> it's Grell's take on the origin (so an older version of year one). I don't own it but I've read it. I don't like it too much. Compared to the rest of Grell's work it's somehow cheesy. But if you aim at a complete collection it should be included.

-Justice League: The rise and fall special-> other misleading title, this is a pure GA (first part) and Roy Harper (second part) story dealing with the aftermath of Cry For Justice.

-The 3rd Volume of Arrow is already available.

-Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood (no idea if you intend to collect stories without Ollie Queen but this is the only Trade with Connor as main character (it's not from the time where he was the only GA it takes places somewhere after Ollie's resurrection).

-As a part of the Jack Kirby Omnibus series there should be a volume dedicated to GA (but I'm not sure how many of those stories the Showcase collection already has).

Maybe I've missed some. Don't know.

In any case, to understand GA and some of the concepts in some of the trades i recommend owning Identity Crisis (establishes his rivalery with both, Doctor Light and Deathstroke) and Cry For Justice (heavily leads into Rise and Fall and the storylines in Into The Woods and Salvation are also connected to the aftermath of that). I know, most people here hate those two stories but they're important to the character. ;)
Oh! If you make an exception to the only trades rule get Green Arrow 96-101 from the 90's. That's the arc that ends with Ollie's death.

I hope this was of some help. Good luck with your collections folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"