Green Lantern question...

Chris Wallace

LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
Reaction score
Is it possible for the ring to make Kryptonite? Not just a green rock, but actual Kryptonite?

No. The ring can't simulate substances. Only shapes.

Although, can't the ring mimic different forms of energy. If so, it could duplicate the radiation emitted by Kryptonite.

Yeah I'm with wieg, I thought the the rings could produce Kryptonite radiation, like energy beams.

How complicated can it get? Because if you can make shapes then technically you could make parts to build something like a hyper death cannon or something.

Like the parts to a pistol and the bullet, altogether, he could make a lantern-fueled handgun.

The Lantern has to understand the thing they're creating to some extent. I think the rings will handle really technical details, but if the Lantern has no idea what Kryptonite's properties or physical composition are, I doubt he'd be able to make one. If the Lantern understands what kind of radiation the Kryptonite emits, though, I agree with wieg, they could probably just make a rock shape and have it emit that same form of radiation. Not quite Kryptonite, but close enough to get the job done.

I think the ring only can make shapes and is only limited by it's users so it can build anything. I don't think it has to replicate all the small parts of a "hyper death cannon". The GL could make it look like anything he wanted as long as he "imagined" it having the same effect.

I remember Kyle mentioning in Winicks run that John Stewart always made green constructions with every small detail inside because he was an architect and basically built it from the ground up in his mind. Kyles on the other hand where "empty" inside, but they still worked fine.

I think this is kind of a gray area. Because at the beginning of Emerald Twilight, Hal resurrects Coast City to the point where he can actually have conversations with dead people. Now, this may have just been a creation of his own delusions given his psychotic state at the time... or perhaps these were lifelike constructs that were created by the Parallax demon... but at the beginning of the arc, it states simply that the GL ring can do anything if the user wanted it badly enough. If that is true, then it wouldn't matter if the user actually knew the type of radiation kryptonite emits or not. I doubt Hal actually knew how to bring souls back from the great beyond... he just did it.

Did Lex Luthor ever get ahold of a GL ring? Because that would surely be interesting.

Hasn't kyle made kryptonite before in an older jla book? Superman went rogue for a bit? Damn who was that.

kiuju2k said:
Hasn't kyle made kryptonite before in an older jla book? Superman went rogue for a bit? Damn who was that.

I pretty sure a Lantern has used Kryptonite from a ring before, was it Kyle or Hal?

It was kyle... i have the book somewhere I remember reading it and being surprised that him of all lanterns made kryptonite. I know he did... why am I doubting myself?

In agreement with what's been said so far: the ring can make shapes that are simple, and complex if the user understands the mechanism he wishes to create. It has repeatedly been shown doing things beyond the simple creation of physical objects, though. For one thing, it obviously generates light. It has also emmited other things. The blind Green Lantern (or should I say the F-Sharp Bell) from the world of darkness used it to create soundwaves. The ring can analyze, communicate, and translate. I'm certain it's within its abilities to emit different frequencies which would mean different frequencies of radiation. A user with the proper knowledge could emit kryptonite radiation

Was it ever explained why the light is only green and not in color?

kind of. Green is the color of willpower, which is what powers the rings

you should read Green Lantern: Rebirth

I thought the answer would be simpler than this.

The Ring can do anything. Any limits are the result of the users lack of willpower or lack of imagination. Not only can a user who understands kryptonite radiation recreate those waves, not only can a lantern who knows the molecular makeup of kryptonite recreate the mineral, but anyone with a ring who WANTS Kryptonite bad enough can spontaneously make it appear. I'm sure Lex Luthor could do it... other than that he actually understands how kryptonite works...

I'm pretty sure that's not how the ring works. I doubt it can literally do anything.

I think the GL's have been depowered since Hal has come back and the GL Corps has reformed. When it was Kyle by himself, he was quite powerful and capable of feats GLs now wouldn't be able to do.

The Question said:
I'm pretty sure that's not how the ring works. I doubt it can literally do anything.
Correct, it's got tons of limitations. For one, it can't produce any color except green.

if it has created one rock of any kind before in it's past, then it could also create kyptonite. Again a little know how may be needed but still, a steel bar with varying chemical weighting of the composition is a highly complex thing, not everyone has the intimate detail in constructing it.

what i think actually happens is that the ring takes thoughts from your memory and makes a construct that looks like steel, act and feels like steel but isn't actually steel but the believer believes it to be what he asked for.

hence someone who knows what and how kyptonite should work should in theory be able to create it (especially since all rocks and living things emit radiation of one kind or another so the radiation factor should be a constant whether it's capable of producing specific types or not at all and in this case it seems that it can).

i'm not sure how it works though but isn't the effectiveness of the ring also require the recipitent to also believe. say superman wouldn't be affected by the ring if he truelly believes it's not kryptonite (i.e. it becomes a battles of wills)

there's a lot i don't get about the rings, like how more rings mean more power when it's based on willpower unless it gives the impression of bearing more power to the user hence actually increasing their will used.

If it's not actually Kryptonite, then it's not going to hurt Superman (or anyone, for that matter) the way Kryptonite would, weather they think it's Kryptonite or not.

Elijya said:
In agreement with what's been said so far: the ring can make shapes that are simple, and complex if the user understands the mechanism he wishes to create. It has repeatedly been shown doing things beyond the simple creation of physical objects, though. For one thing, it obviously generates light. It has also emmited other things. The blind Green Lantern (or should I say the F-Sharp Bell) from the world of darkness used it to create soundwaves. The ring can analyze, communicate, and translate. I'm certain it's within its abilities to emit different frequencies which would mean different frequencies of radiation. A user with the proper knowledge could emit kryptonite radiation
I really liked that story. Moore rocks.

its possible that somebody with enough knowledge of molecular composition and with enough finite control over the ring could make subatomic hard-light replications of the electron and proton formations.

No, they couldn't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but photons aren't smaller than atoms. Nor do they contain any of the materials that make up atoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"