Green Lantern reboot ideas.

The time to build up to a big Sinestro evil reveal is over. They were going to do that with the last film but that failed.

If they reboot, the villain will be Sinestro. It only makes sense, why would they have another go at a franchise that failed so hard, only to use second tier villains? They will use Sinestro.

The time to build up to a big Sinestro evil reveal is over. They were going to do that with the last film but that failed.

If they reboot, the villain will be Sinestro. It only makes sense, why would they have another go at a franchise that failed so hard, only to use second tier villains? They will use Sinestro.
But the movie with Reynolds failed to establish that they are friends, Hal and Sinestro. For him to become a villain after barely knowing Hal (and only getting a small scene with him) makes its have less of an impact to reveal he is a bad guy. I don't know if people will get confused and think they copied the movie, but Emerald Dawn was a great way to do it. Just like Training Day, Hal is taken under the wing of a veteran GL after boot camp. The best friend of Abin Sur, Sinestro. During the coarse of working with Sinestro Hal befriends him, but then finds out he is actually a corrupt space cop. Maybe because of Training Day (the movie) it would be off limits. But that was the same plot as Emerald Dawn sort of. But I feel like to fully get the impact you need Sinestro as a friend for a time in the film. Of coarse the movies could establish that they became sort of friends after he became a villain. Like they would be friends, good friends, if not for them being on different sides. But I am not sure that would work so well.
2082643-gl3_empire_golgoth_10.jpg

Maybe he could be revealed to be the threat in the 1st film, but that might require Hal being away from Earth most of the film. They could go the Darwyn Cooke New Frontier route and have Hal become GL but stuck on Earth for the first film, fighting an Earth Threat like Black Hand or something. At the end he is called into space by the Guardians, and thats where he meets Killowog and then Sinestro/his new partner.

The movie needs to be rebooted, without retelling all the GL history the 1st film covered. Then it needs to re-establish Hal on Earth, Sinestro as a friend. And make the major threat in this new rebooted 1st film something simple and maybe connected to GL's origin so that the focus wont get split or taken away from Hal. Something like the Manhunters or Atrocitus, or even Sinestro.

Perhaps they could use the idea Wizard Magazine came up with. Where its like Training Day where Hal is under the wing of veteran GL Sinestro, but its revealed that Sinestro is actually the major threat he and Sinestro were investigating. In the magazine their concept was that Sinestro was wiping out the Guardians and GLs, to make himself leader. This would end up with Hal, almost on his own, having to stop Sinestro (we could even have Sinestro collecting rings like Hal did when he became Parallax.

Last edited:
But the movie with Reynolds failed to establish that they are friends, Hal and Sinestro. For him to become a villain after barely knowing Hal (and only getting a small scene with him) makes its have less of an impact to reveal he is a bad guy. I don't know if people will get confused and think they copied the movie, but Emerald Dawn was a great way to do it. Just like Training Day, Hal is taken under the wing of a veteran GL after boot camp. The best friend of Abin Sur, Sinestro. During the coarse of working with Sinestro Hal befriends him, but then finds out he is actually a corrupt space cop. Maybe because of Training Day (the movie) it would be off limits. But that was the same plot as Emerald Dawn sort of. But I feel like to fully get the impact you need Sinestro as a friend for a time in the film. Of coarse the movies could establish that they became sort of friends after he became a villain. Like they would be friends, good friends, if not for them being on different sides. But I am not sure that would work so well.
2082643-gl3_empire_golgoth_10.jpg

Maybe he could be revealed to be the threat in the 1st film, but that might require Hal being away from Earth most of the film. They could go the Darwyn Cooke New Frontier route and have Hal become GL but stuck on Earth for the first film, fighting an Earth Threat like Black Hand or something. At the end he is called into space by the Guardians, and thats where he meets Killowog and then Sinestro/his new partner.

The movie needs to be rebooted, without retelling all the GL history the 1st film covered. Then it needs to re-establish Hal on Earth, Sinestro as a friend. And make the major threat in this new rebooted 1st film something simple and maybe connected to GL's origin so that the focus wont get split or taken away from Hal. Something like the Manhunters or Atrocitus, or even Sinestro.

Perhaps they could use the idea Wizard Magazine came up with. Where its like Training Day where Hal is under the wing of veteran GL Sinestro, but its revealed that Sinestro is actually the major threat he and Sinestro were investigating. In the magazine their concept was that Sinestro was wiping out the Guardians and GLs, to make himself leader. This would end up with Hal, almost on his own, having to stop Sinestro (would could even have collected rings like Hal did when he became Parallax.

Interesting. I like that idea.

Found some Injustice concept art of John Stewart. Pretty sweet! Apparently Ed Boon has been teasing putting Stewart in the game. Nothing may come of it, as he's teased a few other characters and nothing has happened as of now.

Here's the concept art:

Johnconceptart_zpsda1006a7.jpeg

tumblr_mjufpvwtJr1rd1j5no1_r1_500.jpg

Don't have the reboot tread the same ground as the last movie. Start the movie, The Green Lantern Corps, with John, our lead character, waking up on Oa after a nightmare. The movie will essentially be an exploration of 'war', soldiers, camaraderie, responsibility, a clear mind vs a troubled mind, etc. (taking place after the first JL movie, where we were introduced to John, and his wound-up personality).

Bradley20Cooper-19.jpg

Due to Hal Jordan's disappearance, John is assigned a new loudmouther partner, Guy Gardner, and John shows him (and the audience) the basics, although John's ring seems to be 'malfunctioning'. Tomar Rae suggests that it might be psychological; that something is on his mind.

Sinestro especially gets ticked off at Guy, especially in contrast to John, who he admires; he praises John for his previous profession as a soldier; his sense of duty; etc.
XtdZq.jpg

Throughout the movie, John and Guy investigate matters surrounding the mysterious yellow lantern corps in their sector; chasing leads, interrogating aliens in bars, etc, etc. However, the two butt heads along the way and Guy Gardner heads back to Earth after having enough of John. We receive small snippets of John's past through flashbacks (atrocities in the war) and dialogue (becoming an architect, etc).

A lead brings John to Korugar, homeworld of the GLCorps leader Sinestro, where he discovers its enslavement, finding the missing Hal Jordan as well.
Korugar_City.jpg

Jake-Gyllenhaal-007.jpg

Sinestro wants John to join him, like he asked Hal, who refused. He explains that he merely wants to control things so that there is no conflict; Sinestro has lost things in the past due to war as well. John seemingly agrees, stating that he doesn't want any world to experience the atrocities of war. However, he secretly helps free Hal and the rest of Korugar. A rebellion forms to overthrow Sinestro's men on Korugar. Sinestro reveals himself as the leader of the yellow lantern corps, and orders them to attack Earth, as punishment for what John and Hal have done to his homeworld, 'dooming them to the horrors of war'.

Hal says he'll take care of Sinestro, while John heads back to Earth to defend it from the incoming Sinestro Corps.

When he returns to Earth, he searches for Guy Gardner in his home town, discovering aspects of Guy's troubled family/past. Seeing Guy able to overcome this inspires John to get over his own past. The two come to an understanding, and the two along with the rest of the corps engage in a massive battle outside Earth against the Sinestro Corps.

409648-122736-sinestro-corps-war.jpg

2f_156006_0_GreenLanternVol421BSinestroCor.jpg

Hal has an epic battle with Sinestro at the end on Korguar in front of the yellow central battery and Hal is forced to throw Sinestro into the battery, killing him and deactivating the Yellow Lantern Corps.

gl1.jpg

After the battle, John meets a distraught Hal again on Oa; Sinestro really was his friend on some level. John reminds Hal of the sometimes necessary cost of war; telling Hal (and himself, more or less) that "it's okay". Hal introduces John to Sinestro's replacement, Katma Tui, the leader of the rebellion on Korugar who John saved. John welcomes her to the corps.

Green_Lantern_Corps_Vol_2_60_Textless_Variant.jpg

Nice!

But something I would have, though, is instead of making Sinestro the villian in the 1st film, make him seem somewhat shady at times, due to him not wanting anyone knowing of Korugar's enslavement.

Also I would probably have Hal as the main Lantern, but definitely have John be the second main Lantern of the story.

Have Kyke be introduced in the sequel.

But something I would have, though, is instead of making Sinestro the villian in the 1st film, make him seem somewhat shady at times, due to him not wanting anyone knowing of Korugar's enslavement.

Also I would probably have Hal as the main Lantern, but definitely have John be the second main Lantern of the story.

Have Kyke be introduced in the sequel.

I too wouldn't mind Hal Jordan as the main lantern. However, I think it might be wise from a business perspective to give the franchise a new face with John.

Also, while I'd like a Sinestro build-up personally, I don't think it makes sense from a business perspective. Best to lead with your best foot.
(Plus, GL 2011's still there for a Sinestro shadyness build-up, even if it's not in continuity.)

Thus my answer is to have a Sinestro movie with John and Hal as the two main leads, ala Kirk and Spock (Gardner is more a supporting character, ala Bones in STID). They both have beef with the villain, but it's Hal and Sinestro who duel at the end (like in STID, it's Kahn vs Spock, not Kirk).

Last edited:
I too wouldn't mind Hal Jordan as the main lantern. However, I think it might be wise from a business perspective to give the franchise a new face with John.

Also, while I'd like a Sinestro build-up personally, I don't think it makes sense from a business perspective. Best to lead with your best foot.
(Plus, GL 2011's still there for a Sinestro shadyness build-up, even if it's not in continuity.)

Thus my answer is to have a Sinestro movie with John and Hal as the two main leads, ala Kirk and Spock (Gardner is more a supporting character, ala Bones in STID). They both have beef with the villain, but it's Hal and Sinestro who duel at the end (like in STID, it's Kahn vs Spock, not Kirk).

Thumbs up!

Chris B said:
1st Film
- Hal Jordan would still be the main character.
- I'd retell his origin.
- Good deal of emphasis on the space opera nature of the mythos. Though Hal's Earth-bound supporting cast would still be vital.
- Use the New 52 design but with the black gloves with green wrists instead of the all white ones. I'd also have it be an actual suit with some CGI touch-ups added later on.
- I'd use the Manhunters as the villains with Hank Henshaw as their Grandmaster. Albeit he'd have to be reimagined abit in order for that to work.
- I'd waste no time setting up Sinestro as the Big Bad of the franchise. He'd still train Hal, but I would reveal by the end of the film that he's corrupt. Maybe even show that he is the one who installed Henshaw as the leader of the Manhunters. The film would end with his banishment to Qward.

2nd Film
- Adaption of the 'Sinestro Corps War' storyline.
- Would be time to bring in one of the other Earth GL's, but I would limit it to only one of them as I think it could become too convoluted to have them all. I'd probably pick John Stewart.
- I would try and incorporate Carol Ferris' transformation into Star Sapphire here.

3rd Film
- I'm thinking a loose adaption of 'Blackest Night' could work. I'd be wary of having this one be about another indiviudal tapping into the emotional spectrum and creating their own ring and corps as an antagonist, but I think this story would be sufficiently different.
- Introduce the Blue Lantern Corps
- Maybe introduce Guy Gardner. It's just that I have a hard time thinking of a reason of why there are so many GLs from Earth that wouldn't come across as contrived in a live-action movie.

I'd still do something like this if it were up to me. Though I'm not sure if it would be congruent with a larger DCCU.

Do Warner Brothers dare to make it like a "TIH"? I doubt that, but it could be great with a kind of "loose sequel" in another style

I really want them to make another GL but its not going to happen unfortunately

You would think Kyle rather would be really easy to cast but I can't seem to think of anyone. I do really want a proper green lantern film but I guess we'll have to wait another 10 years or so

I still say GI Joe it.
Hal and John are cool, Hal dies/Parallaxes
Yellow Sinestro as the villain.Katma Tui. Xanshi. Mogo. Manhunters. Good times
Sequel bring in the Sinestro Corps ie Fatality, Arkillo, Lyssa Drak, Ranx, Yellow Lantern Gardner defects to GLs, Weaponers of Qward, Star Sapphire, build up Krona
Threequel Krona as the main/ultimate villain, Sinestro Corps teams up with GLC, as do Sapphires. Krona fields Nekron/dead lanterns/etc.

Basically adapt the War of Light into something manageable using the rest of the Green Lantern mythos.

The thing about this film is that, like X-men 1, the GL and all the characters and the Corp and everything requires so much backstory and exposition. If you reboot it you can run the risk of making it like the new Spider-Man film where its just retelling the origin. That is the only thing that would hold me back from wanting a total reboot.

The thing about this film is that, like X-men 1, the GL and all the characters and the Corp and everything requires so much backstory and exposition. If you reboot it you can run the risk of making it like the new Spider-Man film where its just retelling the origin. That is the only thing that would hold me back from wanting a total reboot.
Difference is the original didn't really handle the origin very well in the first place, well, how Hall got his ring is there, but the best parts with the sinestro buddy cop aspect and making Hal a likeable character aren't there. If the next film doesn't use Hal then most of you can bet that Stewart will be used as the main Lantern, he's the most requested one.

I agree they didn't do a good job setting stuff up that is important to set up from the beginning. Most importantly the Sinestro/Hal friendship.
I want a scene where Hal asks "Sinestro, were we ever friends?" and Sinestro says, "Thats the sad thing Hal, we always will be."
3172168-gl+friends.jpg

What I meant was all the explaining the concept. What Green Lanterns are, who the Guardians are, the rings and what they can do, who Hal is and what
he does, who Carol Ferris is and what she does, Oa, and the costumes being created by the ring, etc. I just mean, like in X-Men 1 where Charles Xavier
explains to Wolverine everything about the Mansion and his X-Men and Magneto, and like how the new Spider-Man retold the origin, the reboot could run
the risk of having too much to explain again, and it might be stuff that the audience already remembers from the first film (even though it wasn't good).
What I think could work is trying to retell the origin without going into over explaining detail about the concepts that seemed pretty well set up in the other
GL film. And like the Ed Norton Hulk, they could reboot it without rebooting it. I am just saying I don't want another movie where Hal find Abin Surr's
ship, gets the ring, goes to Oa and finds out what a Green Lantern is, and what the rings do (creating weapons with their mind) and how they work, and
all the stuff like that,

They could still do it in a way that is new and interesting I guess.

Last edited:
Let Hal rest in peace, he had his day.

Introduce John in the Justice League movie, then a do a prequel/origin movie by going the Jaded War Veteran route.

John having retired from the Marines, fed up from the horror and death of war. He returns to his old neighborhood with the goal of achieving his childhood dream of becoming an architect. With the renewed resolve of leaving the life of a soldier behind, he accidentally gets sucked into the biggest war our Galaxy has ever seen and is the last hope for the Mighty Green Lantern Corps. He must do what he promised himself he would never do again, take up arms and fight another war but this time as a the Emerald Guardian.

Using John might be the best way to reintroduce the GL corp without retelling the old origin (going over what was already established) but I still would like a good movie with Hal. Maybe Hal is used in the JLA film while John is in the GL movie.
And I want John to be an architect.

You would think Kyle rather would be really easy to cast but I can't seem to think of anyone. I do really want a proper green lantern film but I guess we'll have to wait another 10 years or so

I think Penn Badgley could do a good job.

He's already played a writer and a musician, so he think he's got the 'artist' stuff down pat.

he's only 26, and showed his acting chops recently in "Greetings from Tim Buckley". He's also gotten really muscular before.

penn-badgley-greetings-from-tim-buckley-premiere-portraits.jpg
gl-kyle2.jpg

penn-badgley-435.jpg

I also think he'd make a good Dick Grayson.
Penn-Badgley-is-a-single-man.gif

Last edited:
think i meant to post this here:
If I could just go into time and tweak and edit the movie, I would have changed things
only slightly.
Instead of Parallax being this big floaty cloud monster, he would have been this mysterious
thing that attacked Abin Surr's ship causing him to crash.
images

When Hector Hammond was examining the body he was infected like in the movie, he
goes through everything like in the movie with his father and Carol and his head growing,
up until the end, it would eventually be full on Parallax possessing him, like in the comics
with the yellow armor and sharp teeth.
Hammond_poster.jpg

greenlantern_psarsgaard_02.jpg

images

Imagine if Hector Hammond looked like this with the sharp teeth and armor.
1132195-hal_3.jpg

1871920-black_seed002.jpg

(Hal and Sinestro have more scenes together, to show their friends.)
images

3172168-gl+friends.jpg

Instead of Hal (alone) throwing Parallax into the sun Hal (with some help from Sinestro)
transports the Oa power battery to Earth and traps Parallax inside it.
1778344-impurity_restored.jpg

This leads to the possibility and the hinting at Sinestro maybe being corrupted by
Parallax (who is now connected to every ring and every Green Lantern, making
their rings weak to yellow and making each GL susceptible to possession) and turning
evil, or letting himself be corrupted. And becoming a Yellow Lantern for the next movie
like they did.
images

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"