Green Lantern: The Animated Series - Part 1

Great series finale. A little rushed, yes, considering the runtime. All things considered, though, I couldn't have ask for a better ending for this series.

You know, I never thought about Aya not having the guts to kill living beings, but in retrospect, it makes perfect sense. She could have kill Hal, Kilowog, Razer or any other living organism when she had the chance, but she only stunned or severely crippled her opponents.

Last week, after the mention of Aya going to the beginning of Creation to stop living organisms from existing, I was wondering if this episode would ever shown the Hand of Creation seen in the JLU episode "The Once and Future Thing". And I was not disappointed! Not surprised, considering Bruce Timm's involvement in both series. :woot:

And like others have said, it was nice to see the show end on a positive, hopeful note with Razer searching for Aya. And the Blue Lantern ring chasing after him was a very nice touch. In a way, this was his and Aya's story, so it was nice to see him receive a bit of a happy ending. After all the hell that he's been through, he definitely deserved it.

On a related note, it would be nice to see Razer get his own comic series or something like that. He's such a well-rounded character that I think he could hold his own in a spinoff. It would be nice to see his exploits as a Blue Lantern.
Even though I am sad to see this show end, I am just glad that this series got some much needed closure. Other shows broadcast on CN that have been cancelled usually left things wide open and never got the chance wrap up their storylines, so this series' finale was a nice change of pace. It tied all loose ends, while still leaving it a little open ended. I was very satisfied.

Bruce Timm, if you ever happen upon this particular post, I just want to say, thank you for creating such a great, entertain, exciting, emotional and well-written series. I may have only been new fan of Green Lantern before this series started, but watching this series just reaffirmed how much I love this character and its universe. Much respect.

All in all, I've enjoyed this series. It was cancelled before its time, but at least it went out with some dignity. A great ending to a great show.

And so I say, good night, sweet prince.

...Was that the same hand or similar hand from the time traveling episode of JLU?

t8xYKaa.jpg

Hand of Creation
(from "Justice League Unlimited", season 1, episode 13 [Once and Future Thing, Part 2])

1563870-hand_of_creation_super.jpg

Hand of Creation
(from Green Lantern, Vol 2 #40)

Yes, it's the same hand. Actually, the Hand of Creation originated in Green Lantern Vol 2 #40 in the mythical story of Krona and his obsessive quest to see the origin of the universe. Ancient legend had it that no one may know the secret of the origin of the universe lest there be a great disaster. Krona disregarded this legend and proceeded to construct a machine that would allow him to break through the temporal barrier and witness the beginning of time itself. Consistent with the legend, Krona’s machine exploded the very instant he arrived at the beginning of time,fracturing the universe and creating the Multiverse in the process. This was a Pandora's Box type of tale and is considered a classic as to why it is consistently illustrated in the comics as well as in animation.

Last edited:
What a great ending. The stuff with Aya was so moving. I love her voice and design. This show was amazing!

I liked this finale better than YJ's, it was more moving and satisfying. The last couple of scenes made for a more proper ending, Razer flying in open space was cooler and less frustrating than seeing Darkseid for nothing (unless a DVD movie is done!!).

Just watched the finale. I can't believe it's over. :(

This show was so incredibly good, that I honestly feel that after it was all said and done, I preferred it to Young Justice.

It was an interesting ending to a show, I learned to care very much about. The characterizations were spot on as in any Bruce Timm work, arguably Hal isn't the savior but Razer was, everything about this last episode had to do with "hope", and getting it re-ignited.

Overall a great series, and a great season finale. However, the lack of Yellow Lanterns, Parallax alone just tells me what this show could have been.

It's a sad day in the cartoon world, when two of it's best are now gone.

The ultimate crime of this series' cancellation is not being able to show Sinestro getting the yellow ring and having Ron Perlman go all out as the evil founder of the Sinestro Corps.

That was such a great finale. Sad that that there won't be anymore, but that was about as satisfying an ending as one could ever hope to get, imo.

I hope there's a blu-ray release of this series at some point. As much as the style of animation bugged me at first, I quickly grew to find it quite beautiful and would love to be able to own it in HD.

i have to say and i am man enough to admit it i cried like a little girl!that &^%$#was sad! sad as hell!Aya sacrificing herself the way she did.that you are never alone and i will always be watching over you. for personal reasons that hit wayyy to close to home!A great great ending but sad as crap. i really dug the blue ring chasing him too! that was awesome!

This series was fun, in spite of it's reckless devotion to all thing Geoff Johns.

It's a shame we don't get to see John Stewart again and eventually even Kyle.

Ahhhhh!!!!! I knew a blue ring was gonna go after Razer at some point! Ahhh! I ****ing hate you Cartoon Network!

So Razer turns into a Blue Lantern? Because he has "hope" in finding Aya? I was thinking he might get the pink ring because of his love for Aya. lol

Can a Lantern wear and use two rings at once? So for example, Razer would have hate/rage to fuel the red ring and hope to power the blue ring.

What would happen to the blue ring once he finds Aya and doesn't need hope anymore? Maybe hope for something else?

I'm really going to miss this show. I didn't cry like a girl, like BlackVulcan, but I did get choked up with all the Aya and Razor scenes.

. I didn't cry like a girl, like BlackVulcan, but I did get choked up with all the Aya and Razor scenes.
HEY!!! Real men can cry too!
[YT]pjlw4Edt-e8[/YT]
"ole yeller" and when artificial intelligent robotic chicks gives their lives for their rage filled boyfriends!:cwink:

Bring the show back. :(

[YT]G517qah4VvE[/YT]

Bring the show back. :(

[YT]G517qah4VvE[/YT]

The Blue Lantern oath perfectly sums up Razer's character arc on this show:

"In fearful day, in raging night (Starting out as an young, angry rookie)
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite (Razer and Aya's romance)
When all seems lost in the war of light (Aya's turn to evil and eventual death)
Look to the stars, for hope burns bright" (Razer's search for Aya, hoping she is still alive somehow)

It's like a writer on the show one day read the Blue Lantern oath and thought, "Hey, why don't we base a character off of this?" :woot:

Agreed, but while we're on the topic, since you seem to know your GL stuff, a question: What GL comic arcs would you recommend that weren't written by Geoff Johns? I've read most of his big stories, including Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War and Secret Origin. But the only GL story I've read that wasn't from Johns was Emerald Dawn, and I didn't care for that one too much, but I am definitely interested in getting some other writers' takes on the universe. Any standalones/arcs/collections you'd recommend?
Edited-

I have not read too much before geoff,most of the green lantern i have read off and on was really in the justice league comics from years ago.I am slowly catching up or will be catching up on stuff before Geoff.
A FEW i could recommend you reading is
Green Lantern: Mosaic,

Darkstars and beyond

and

Cosmic Odyssey.

I have not read the last two yet,but the first one was really good and all three the main focus is John stewart.

Green_Lantern-_Mosaic_issue_18_%28A_Guardian_Arises%29.jpg

John Stewart as the mortal Guardian of the Universe, Master Builder

There is Zero Hour: Crisis in Time

Zerohour_perez.JPG

Parallax (Hal Jordan, center), about to recreate the DC Universe in his image. Also pictured (clockwise from upper left): Time Trapper, Metron of the New Gods, Extant, the Spectre, and Superman. Art by George Pérez, from Green Lantern Gallery #1.

Last edited:
Awesome, I was hoping for a good John Stewart story. Thanks for the recs, mace! :up:

The Blue Lantern oath perfectly sums up Razer's character arc on this show:

"In fearful day, in raging night (Starting out as an young, angry rookie)
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite (Razer and Aya's romance)
When all seems lost in the war of light (Aya's turn to evil and eventual death)
Look to the stars, for hope burns bright" (Razer's search for Aya, hoping she is still alive somehow)

It's like a writer on the show one day read the Blue Lantern oath and thought, "Hey, why don't we base a character off of this?" :woot:

I wouldn't be surprised if the parallel was intentional.

Sad this both shows really deserved a third season. It would have been nice to see the other human GL's and Razor in his new suit as a Blue Lanter. I'm guessing it would have been less militaristic and more along the lines of Hal's or the other Blue Lanterns.

Then during the mid season when Hal and Kilowogg are in trouble Razor shows up in his Blue outfit to help them and they are all like:wow::wow: "Dude! Looking good!"

Heck no. I've lost the patience for drawing over a decade ago. I always rage after 1 failed sketch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"