Green Arrow series in the works at The CW - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/cw-...drama-from-greg-berlanti-and-marc-guggenheim/
Green Arrow Drama From Greg Berlanti And Marc Guggenheim Nears Pilot Order At CW
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

The CW is finalizing a deal for a pilot order to Arrow, an hourlong superhero drama based on DC Comics’ Green Arrow. It is written and executive produced by The Green Lantern co-writers Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim and Fringe and Vampire Diaries alum Andrew Kreisberg. I hear that David Nutter is interested in directing the project, which takes the comic book character, created by Mort Weisinger and George Papp, and sets him in a new world with an original story that is not based on the comics, published by DC Entertainment. Arrow, produced by Warner Bros. TV and Berlanti’s studio-based Berlanti Television, was developed by Berlanti and Guggenheim who came up with the story and then brought in Kreisberg to co-write the script with them. Kreisberg, who has comics experience, having written DC Comics’ Green Arrow and Black Canary among other books, previously worked with Berlanti and Guggenheim on their ABC drama Eli Stone.

First introduced in an 1941 edition of More Fun Comics, Green Arrow is a superhero dressed like Robin Hood who is an archer using trick arrows, including glue, net, tear gas and even kryptonite arrows. His secret identity is billionaire Oliver Queen. This marks the character’s return to the CW where it was a fixture on the Superman-inspired Smallville for several years. Portrayed by Justin Hartley (below right), who is not attached to Arrow, Oliver Queen/Green Arrow was introduced in a 7-episode arc on the show in 2006, with Hartley joining the series as a regular in 2008. Also serving as a bridge between the two shows would be Nutter, who directed the pilot for Smallville.

Developing a series based on a DC property to succeed the recently departed Smallville was a priority for the CW this development season. “We’re looking next year to do a superhero show if the right superhero comes to be,” CW president Mark Pedowitz said at the summer TCA. In addition to Arrow, the network has in contention an adaptation of Deadman penned by Supernatural creator Eric Kripke. This is the CW’s second pilot order this season, following the pickup of mystery drama Cult last week.

Arrow would mark the second pilot order for Berlanti and Guggenheim so far this season. Earlier this week, Fox greenlighted Guilty, a legal drama penned by Guggenheim and executive produced by him and Berlanti. Berlanti, Guggenheim, Nutter and Kreisberg, who serves as co-executive producer on Syfy’s Warehouse 13, are with WME.
Not sure I like the sound of this. A Green Arrow series would be great, but given how GL turned out with two of these guys behind it, and how awful Berlanti's attempt at superhero television (No Ordinary Family) was, this could be worrisome.

Plus, I was really liking the sound of Eric Kripke doing Deadman, and I really doubt they will have room for two comic book series if this works out.

Not sure I like the sound of this. A Green Arrow series would be great, but given how GL turned out with two of these guys behind it, and how awful Berlanti's attempt at superhero television (No Ordinary Family) was, this could be worrisome.

Plus, I was really liking the sound of Eric Kripke doing Deadman, and I really doubt they will have room for two comic book series if this works out.

I still think the script from berlanti for green lantern was much better than the finished product. This show has a lot of potential if done right.

Oh, that post was months ago. I've definitely come around since then.

Glad to hear it's been picked up. Can't wait to see a trailer. :up:

Great to hear its officially picked up. Can't wait to see some photos/previews.

We probably won't get trailer to probably comic con. When I would hope they have a panel or screening of pilot. And would be in production for series. Since it will probably start series shooting early july, and like other hr drama shoot within 7-8 days per episode.

They tend to come out with trailers for upfront week.

Can't wait to see the trailer for this!

True but we don't get to see those all the time.

Picked up? Awesome :)

I am glad this is picked up.

P.S Is Ollie just going to be called Arrow instead of Green Arrow on this show?

I would think we will see both. Ollie/folks who know who he is probably will call him green arrow, and police/press will probably just call him arrow. Is it that bad if he isn't fully called by all green arrow. Heck I don't read ga books but don't most heroes/villains just call him/other archers arrow... for eqvualiant archer.

I really have no faith in this at this time. Time will tell if I'm proven wrong

Nice to see that the Green Arrow series will be picked up on the heels of his successful appearances in Smallville, but this will be in a different continuity. Also, they changed from Star City to Starling City.

Arrow_1332177012-3615852_640w.jpg

IS this the first image of Green Arrow?

Yes it is. It's been posted for the last few months.

Very thankful this has been picked up. I'm thinking the Moniker "Arrow" could be the one Ollie starts using himself when confronting criminals. But because of the green in his costume and the arrows, maybe descriptions of him from the criminals he confronts and the people he saves will be picked up by the media and ultimately become his public name. Especially with Dinah's (why are they sticking with her first and seemingly only "called by" name being Laurel by the way?) father wanting to bring him in, you can imagine a lot of witness statements reading "Then this arrow shot out of nowhere and hit the guy in the hand. And you know what was weird about it? It wasn't just black or wood - it was green. What did he look like? Well it was very dark, and most of him was in shadow, but I could see a green hood and what looked like a green jacket, but I can't be sure."

Ya we don't know how all things will turn out yet. And stuff like dinah going by middle name and star city name change. Could be stuff altered from pilot to series for all we know. Or its just stuff they wanted to change. Not all changes are bad.

Robin hood is most often associated with a green outfit so I think most people will initially say a robin hood like character.

I wonder if any promotion for the show will be tied to TDKR this summer. Probably wouldn't be a bad strategy.

Would be nice. But how often has wb/dc don't promos in films for upcoming tv shows. We likely will just get a slew of photos from pilot, and series shooting. A couple promos. And then things in mags and then when show is close to lauch have amell, and others do press things and maybe appear on certain talk shows live with kelly, connan, etc....

Stephen Amell said he saw a 5 minute trailer. I don't imagine they made it just for the people in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"