Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians Of The Galaxy- User Review Thread. SPOILERS!

There is actually quite a bit of Vin's facial structure in the Groot CGI creature, which is awesome.

As far as Vin's casting goes, I believe that HE approached THEM (Marvel Studios) about being involved in something, and GotG and the voice of Groot is what resulted from their conversation(s) with him.

I thought he was talking to them about something else, and then they were like "Hmmm why not Groot too?"

It'd be interesting to see if Diesel has any other roles in the future.

Weird - as much as I loved the film, I found Nebula to be underwhelming. Ronan they could have fleshed out more (I suppose) but I found him visually interesting and EXTREMELY intimidating, something the oft - compared Malekith just wasn't.

But Nebula.... I just found her to be a bit irritating, and not in a planned way.

I actually thought the opposite - that Malekith looked better and had more presence. The latter probably much due to Eccleston's voice and delivery that gave me the feeling of age in the character. Ronan's face looked a bit too much like just a guy in black metal make up and his voice wasn't that special or imposing in comparison, although I still found him to be very good so it's not a knock on him.

I didn't have much against Nebula in the movie other than that she was used a bit less to confront the heroes than I had thought.

I thought he was talking to them about something else and then they were like "Hmmm why not Groot too?"

Not according to everything I can find. He approached them about doing some type of project with them (rumored to have been a Phase 3 project), and their conversations with him ended up morphing into his being cast as Groot.

Weird - as much as I loved the film, I found Nebula to be underwhelming. Ronan they could have fleshed out more (I suppose) but I found him visually interesting and EXTREMELY intimidating, something the oft - compared Malekith just wasn't.

But Nebula.... I just found her to be a bit irritating, and not in a planned way.
Good thing she survived. It will allow her character more development in the sequel (hopefufully).

The trailers for this movie did nothing for me so I wasn't really excited until the word of mouth from critics and everyone else was raving about it.So I finally decided to see it ,and I have to say that this is an amazing movie,and my favorite MCU film by far.I loved every second of it.I didn't want it to end.

9/10

I really can't find much to complain about. Maybe the climax was a little rushed, but seriously, I loved this movie. Funny, touching, and plenty of satisfying action.

9/10.

Going in I was cautiously optimistic about GOTG. I didn't have complete faith in Gunn's work the way I have in joss' work.

But man did Gunn knock one out of the park. Best use of comedy in a comic book movie I've ever seen and some of the most genuinely emotional stuff too.

The biggest surprise was Drax, batista nailed it. Easily becoming my favorite character in the film in a movie full of good characters.

Amazing movie, 10/10.

GOTG goes on the highest tier of marvel films for me alongside Avengers and Cap2.

Still not sure which I would rank #1 though. That might take time to fully decide after some repeat viewings of cap2 and gotg once they are on blu ray.

If I had to find a weakness all I can say is I wished there was a better post credits scene.

Such a crowd pleaser.

I'm stunned. Actually, the opening alone had me on my butt, the way it starts, how emotional it is, it tells you everything you need to know: that GOTG is a special breed & that we're in Gunn's world. Peter on that planet, dancing to his tune, hilarious, unexpected, Pratt establishes himself in a few seconds as an iconic character, the integration of the title? genius.

It's so delightfully different, witty, SO sci-fi, practically everything is brilliant, perfect, the character beats between Rocket & Groot, the group dynamic, Drax, Gamora (although, no offence to Zoe (who is beautiful), Gamora is incredibly hot in the comics, but it's obvious why they couldn't present her this way on film (ie her outfit) ), the easter eggs (cocoon, COSMOOOOOOOOOOOOO with that great little moment btw him & Rocket), the representation of the world, Kyln, Xandar, etc, etc.

Just fantastic, this is by far (imo) the best Marvel movie, I love Cap 2, but this is on another level, it's just so different, so much fun. The VFX work is astounding: Thanos looks really really great, Rocket & Groot couldn't be more convincing, the dogfight over Xandar, etc, etc.

The soundtrack is such a brilliant idea & connective, emotional tissue, it literally makes the movie even better & it makes me so happy to see Gunn injecting his style everywhere in this baby, the humor, the sweetness, it feels so personal. The movie is beautiful visually, great job Ben Davis.

There are so many standout scenes (that dance number, oh my goodness ! baby Groot melting my heart, OH & that scene where Peter saves Gamora was BEAUTIFUL), this is just too good. Only complaint: Ronan is kinda meh, he works, but is underused, which is surprising considering his importance in the DnA run. Oh & Drax kinda felt really heavily underpowered to me, not sure Korath should be able to push him around like he does (although Drax destroys him afterwards) & most of all, he can't land one on Ronan, he's supposed to be really really strong in the DnA run.

James, you beautiful bastard. BOZHE MOI !

Last edited:
Finally saw this tonight, cant believe its taken me so long, but overall, loved it. Its a typical James Gunn movie, but also surprisingly faithful to the comics, especially when it comes to the gang themselves.

The humor was great, I dont mind there being that much humor in a movie as long as its good, still cant decide who was funniest out of Quill, Rocket and Drax. But what I like here, and people who me on here know my beef this TDW and IM3, is that unlike those movies, the emotional moments are given time to breath, there isnt a joke straight after, it comes quite a bit after, so overall I didnt have this complaint with this movie. The opening scene alone showed Gunn wasnt going to mess about when it came to this stuff, and it was welcome. You really got to feel the emotion of the moment, especially with some scenes with Rocket and a couple with Groot.

The action was decent, but not jaw-dropping, another common complaint I have with MCU solo movies, though the action here was better than most other MCU movies. I am just disappointed Ronan didnt get a proper fight, and Drax didnt really get one either, 2 very quick ones but that was it.

The character work though, is this films real strongpoint, and where Gunn excels, the way the team come together, the teething problems between a new group of friends, and then them coming together to save the day is nothing new in team movies, but its handled expertly here, and every character gets a moment to shine, and a moment to be heroic. All 5 of the team are awesome, it would honestly be hard to pick a favourite, I LOVED the interactions between Rocket and Groot, straight out of the comics. And Zoe Saldana was great as Gamora, tough, vulnerable and sympathetic all at the same time. Drax was surprisingly dryly funny, and had a backstory you could root for.

I do have problems, I didnt think much of the score by Tyler Bates, the same thing happened in Watchmen but his score was overshadowed too much by the songs, which were all awesome. I like the above poster thought Drax was a bit underpowered, he should have owned Korath no problem, and at least given Ronan a bit of a fight (honestly, how does he expect to take down Thanos when his punches didnt even phase Ronan?), I hope Kronos somehow gets involved in giving him a power-up.

And then there is my biggest, complaint, I am a huge Ronan fan, him, Drax and Nova are my favourite cosmic heroes, and not only am I disappointed a bit in Drax, but I am rather pissed off that they [BLACKOUT]KILLED Ronan after one freaking movie![/BLACKOUT]. That guy is THE most important Kree in the comics, it seems such a waste to do what they I mentioned in the blacked out txt.

Overall though, very satisfying, around the same level as Cap 2 for me, though I think I would rate GOTG a little higher because what I love about those characters in the comics they pretty much got spot on. 9/10.

I don't normally do this, but I actually did watch this film a second time in the theater. First time I've done that in a few years. And it definitely holds up on repeat viewings. I think this may be the best Marvel film.

I don't normally do this, but I actually did watch this film a second time in the theater. First time I've done that in a few years. And it definitely holds up on repeat viewings. I think this may be the best Marvel film.

I saw it twice in the theatre as well, and the jokes still held up during repeated viewing. I'm definitely getting the Blu-ray so I can watch it multiple times.

Finally saw this tonight, cant believe its taken me so long, but overall, loved it. Its a typical James Gunn movie, but also surprisingly faithful to the comics, especially when it comes to the gang themselves.

The humor was great, I dont mind there being that much humor in a movie as long as its good, still cant decide who was funniest out of Quill, Rocket and Drax. But what I like here, and people who me on here know my beef this TDW and IM3, is that unlike those movies, the emotional moments are given time to breath, there isnt a joke straight after, it comes quite a bit after, so overall I didnt have this complaint with this movie. The opening scene alone showed Gunn wasnt going to mess about when it came to this stuff, and it was welcome. You really got to feel the emotion of the moment, especially with some scenes with Rocket and a couple with Groot.

The action was decent, but not jaw-dropping, another common complaint I have with MCU solo movies, though the action here was better than most other MCU movies. I am just disappointed Ronan didnt get a proper fight, and Drax didnt really get one either, 2 very quick ones but that was it.

The character work though, is this films real strongpoint, and where Gunn excels, the way the team come together, the teething problems between a new group of friends, and then them coming together to save the day is nothing new in team movies, but its handled expertly here, and every character gets a moment to shine, and a moment to be heroic. All 5 of the team are awesome, it would honestly be hard to pick a favourite, I LOVED the interactions between Rocket and Groot, straight out of the comics. And Zoe Saldana was great as Gamora, tough, vulnerable and sympathetic all at the same time. Drax was surprisingly dryly funny, and had a backstory you could root for.

I do have problems, I didnt think much of the score by Tyler Bates, the same thing happened in Watchmen but his score was overshadowed too much by the songs, which were all awesome. I like the above poster thought Drax was a bit underpowered, he should have owned Korath no problem, and at least given Ronan a bit of a fight (honestly, how does he expect to take down Thanos when his punches didnt even phase Ronan?), I hope Kronos somehow gets involved in giving him a power-up.

And then there is my biggest, complaint, I am a huge Ronan fan, him, Drax and Nova are my favourite cosmic heroes, and not only am I disappointed a bit in Drax, but I am rather pissed off that they [BLACKOUT]KILLED Ronan after one freaking movie![/BLACKOUT]. That guy is THE most important Kree in the comics, it seems such a waste to do what they I mentioned in the blacked out txt.

Overall though, very satisfying, around the same level as Cap 2 for me, though I think I would rate GOTG a little higher because what I love about those characters in the comics they pretty much got spot on. 9/10.

Well, Drax WAS drunk during that fight

Yeah, I think people dont realize he drunk dialed Ronan and was hammered. He really didn't think things through and was in no shape to do what he thought he was going to do.

Saw this the other day and loved it. I wouldn't call it the best MCU movie. I still feel TWS has that spot but this is easily up there w/ The Avengers for me. The cast, action, comedy, emotional scenes were all top-notch. The only thing I didn't like was some of the dialog. The "What a bunch of A-holes" line from the trailer still bugged me and there were similar lines from the Nova Corps personnel that just seemed like it was written for/by a 13yr old. Also Ronan seemed flat to me, I'm hoping that what we witnessed wasn't his demise and he ends up in future films. Perhaps Thanos did something to extract him and torture him later or something. All in all, I'll definitely get this on Blu-ray.

This was a rare CBM where I actually enjoyed the third act the most. Usually, the required smashing and melodrama of the third act is a bit laborious, but this movie really hit its stride when the action picked up. Honestly, the first 45 minutes or so had me thinking, "Is this what all the hype is about?" But the characters kept me invested, and the payoff was nice.

This was a strange, beautiful movie that was definitely interesting and refreshing.

9-10
Plane and simple I loved the film! Thanos was KICKARSE, I heard there were nitpickers out there that thought other wise that I think need their heads examined.
The Celestial reference was AWESOME, I actually got chills when it was shown.
There were plenty of moments the whole audience was laughing, and they even CLAPPED at the end!

the only issue I had was Yondu not having a BOW

Well, Drax WAS drunk during that fight

Yeah, I think people dont realize he drunk dialed Ronan and was hammered. He really didn't think things through and was in no shape to do what he thought he was going to do.

I know he was drunk, but he actually got a few hits in on Ronan and they literally did nothing. Being drunk doesnt make you less strong.

Saw this movie a 2nd time last night and loved it just as much. Wow this was such a great movie - it had heart, plenty of laughs, and some really great action (the CG ship battles were amazing!) that was amazing in 3D. Groot and Rocket were some of the best scene-stealers ever.

Might have been mentioned before (or not), but anyone know who the brunette bombshell in the Nova Corps was? She was in two scenes with Nova Prime. Holy crap that girl was smoking, not sure why she didn't have any speaking lines, she just stood there looking amazingly hot. :hrt: There was another (blonde) bombshell at the end with the Nova Corps who also really stood out. Makes me want to know where the filmmakers found two amazingly hot girls to play Nova Corps members....

Edit: just found out on IMDB that "Nova Prime's Assistant" was played by Mikaela Hoover. Didn't see the blonde bombshell though....

Last edited:
As someone who's been in a few drunken dustups, it kinda does. :cwink:

Same here, and it didnt make my punches weaker, I just didnt hit many things with the exception of things too big to miss, like walls :yay:.

I once broke my hand on a lamp post whilst having a pissed up fight. For a while i thought i hit the bloke on the forehead (another really stupid thing to do anyway lol) but then found out from a pal that i actually hit a lamp post hahaha.

Fighting drunk of completely consumed by rage isn't the best way to go. It's why professional fighters are always taught discipline first.

I once broke my hand on a lamp post whilst having a pissed up fight. For a while i thought i hit the bloke on the forehead (another really stupid thing to do anyway lol) but then found out from a pal that i actually hit a lamp post hahaha.

Fighting drunk of completely consumed by rage isn't the best way to go. It's why professional fighters are always taught discipline first.

Ha ha, I have broken knuckles punching lamp posts drunk in my younger days, not something I would choose to do now but ten years ago did for some reason.

I mostly like the way the Ronan vs Drax fight went, it just bothered me that when Drax actually landed some hits, they didnt effect Ronan at all. Being drunk doesnt make your punches weaker IMO. Hence our two examples.

Yea i get what you're saying. I think Ronan did feel the last couple punches of that combo. He gives Drax a look that reminded me of the look Loki shot Rogers in Avengers. Like "actually, that hurt you ****er!" It then makes Ronan take Drax a bit more seriously, because up to that point he was basically just palming him off like he was nothing.

To be fair, I think Drax was pretty bad ash. But they were just showing that Ronan is truly formidable, that even the power house of the team is ineffective against him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"