Guardians Of The Galaxy- User Review Thread. SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' started by TeeKay, Jul 21, 2014.

?

Rate the Movie

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

He didnt seem to show any pain, more anger that Drax had laid hands on him. I see what you mean about him taking Drax more seriously after that though, but I thought that was just because Ronan had gotten bored at that point.

I just they would have shown that if Drax was sober he would have been a threat to Ronan, especially without Ronan having the gem. It would have been easy to portray as well, just have Drax land one punch that sends Ronan flying, then after that Rona just beats him by dodging his punches.

They could still have had the scene at the end of Ronan manhandling Drax in the ship as Ronan had posession of the gem at this point.

At the start of movie he accross as bad-ass, it was just later in the movie he didnt. From Knowhere onwards he just didnt seem that poweful, even Korath was throwing him about in their fight which just shouldnt happen in my eyes.

Apart from the prison scene he didnt really live upto the name Destroyer. And as someone who is something of a rarity on here, i.e a big Drax fan, I found that a little disappointing.

2. Enriquespy Registered

I'm late to the party, having just seen the film today...

Man, that was awesome!!!

3. Imperviousone Registered

Took my kids this weekend. I would say that the movie was entertaining and there's certainly a lot of potential. Was hoping my kids would like it more, but they were kind of "meh". I wanted them yelling "I am GROOT!" all weekend, but we didn't get that. I enjoyed the film and thought the effects were great.

My only critique/concern would be that - the movie is kind of like the "anti-avengers" in how it is constructed. Its a team-up, but instead of getting to know each character - they're kind of thrown together and it felt a little strange (maybe fitting for the movie).

Where the Avengers benefits from pretty deep history/pop culture awareness for all of the characters (even Hawkeye), these characters are new to 90% of the viewing audience.

Instead of individual films building to GotG, I hope future films explore each of the characters indvidually. They all have awesome backstory potential, that was really only glossed upon.

I hope this is where future films go. I gave it a solid 7 with awesome future potential.

4. Zimmy Registered

Finally saw this yesterday.
    I loved everything about it, the tone, the special effects, acting, cinematography, and most of the action.

My only let down?

The fight scenes were awful.
    The Gamora fight scene with her sister looked like it was going to be epic in the trailer.
    In the movie, about 2 seconds of arm blocking.
    I have no real sense what makes her (or Drax for that matter) a top assassin.

It looks to me that Scar Jo's Black Widow would wipe the floor with both of them based on the movies I have seen.

I would plead that for the sequel, they hire a fight director.

5. SlamAdams Registered

Loved the movie. Pratt and Saldana were excellent. Rocket and Groot kicked ass. Drax was surprisingly funny. Ronan was pretty fierce. Second favorite Marvel Studios flick by a slim margin. The ending battle scene was awesome. The soundtrack was absolutely phenomenal

6. Imperviousone Registered

This I agree with - Nova Corps were awesome.

This too, I agree with.

7. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Did anyone else totally geek out when Rocket said 'das't' at one point in the movie?

8. SlamAdams Registered

I don't think I noticed. I missed a few lines because people were laughing pretty loud.

9. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

^Yeah Rocket definitely says it, it was either on Knowhere or on the Milano, definitely in the 2nd half of the movie. Hope in the sequel someone says 'flark' or 'flarking' now!

10. fixxxer ...goes to 11

Most Bangaloreans speak English, but a few have some difficulty exactly following foreign accents. So, in some theaters, English movies are subtitled... in English. I personally find the subtitles annoying, but if it's (inadvertently) helping the hearing impaired, I'm OK with it.

Um, long story short... I can conclusively confirm "das't". :)

11. BrollySupersj Howard, Fine, and Howard

Finally saw it tonight. Excellent excellent film. Great humor, awesome action, and little bit of emotion. Loved every second.

12. DarknessOfDeath Rebel Scoundrel

Loved this movie. My only nit pick would be the fight scenes - there could have been more to them but other than that, I loved every min of it.

13. Joeyjojo72 Registered

In the wake of TWS, it's understandable that the bar has been raised on fight scenes. My guess is all MCU films going forward will reflect a higher standard when it comes to hand to hand choreography.

14. antdogs Registered

saw this on saturday was awesome movie.. MCU is killing it

15. CyclopsWasRight Well, he was.

So I saw this today, finally.

I hadn't watched anything after the first trailer as I was going to see it since I loved the 2008 DNA run and it was based on that and I wanted to save as much for the cinema as possible.

However as time went by I didn't have that anticipation to go see it.

Y'know how when you have an online order coming and you have that excitement of waiting for it to come and unwrapping it when it does, whereas if you have something delivered and leave it a week and open it you lose the anticipation and excitement?

Well I was really pumped around the first teaser and trailer time then my anticipation withered over time, I probably should've watched more to keep up that excitement but I've found trailers and clips to give too much away these days and I didn't want that with this. I hadn't even heard Rocket speak until the movie

Once the movie started though I really got into it and when it got to the footloose scene with Gamora I was in love.

I worried that it would be overrated considering the crazy levels of hype it received but In the end it really wasn't.

This truly was a fantastic movie. Enormously fun, funny but with the right kind of comedy unlike Thor 2, sweet and heartwarming at times, action packed with a little romance

The design was brilliant with the colourful characters, spaceships and so on

I worried that I wouldn't like Starlord. In the first trailer he came across as a arrogant jerk type and from what I remember of Starlord he wasn't like that. Pratt seemed to play the character like an immature frat boy, not a character I can get behind but in the end he was funny, arrogant yet lovable and a great overall character.

I was never really looking forward to Gamora, she was the least anticipated Guardian for me but she really shown and earnt a great deal of like. My favourite character was probably Rocket then Groot them Drax then Starlord. Loved the way Drax was essentially a big softie and the way he spoke with the reaction to it was hilarious

I loved that the Guardians were the lowly, the suffered, a collection of pained individuals who've gone through **** and had found friendship when they thought themselves not capable, was really a great message and theme for the movie.

The music was great, almost a character itself and the way they tied it back to Peters Mum was fantastic.

The villains were the weakest part, as they have been with nearly every MCU movie. Nebula was cool in the Darth Maul sense, a badass who doesn't get much story but oozes cool. Ronan was the typical power hungry despot, he wanted to avenge Kree but we never really get the details on why, the dance off scene was quite out of the blue and while silly at first it ended up quite amusing

While the comic was funny I wasn't sure of the tone, I thought maybe it'd end up being a parody.
    I generally like my superhero movies serious. At least serious in a sense that the movie is taken serious but can still include it's of comedy at the right beats. I didn't think this movie would be as sweet and heartfelt as it was, the comedy was well-written and delivered with impeccable timing and most importantly didn't interfere with the dramatic or sad or heartfelt moments.

I hadn't seen the movie but with everyone going on about who Starlords dad was I was expecting it to be a huge plot point and while it wasn't huge huge it was pretty big in the end

The hand holding bit and friendship moments were a bit schmaltzy toward the end, but still good

The big final battle sequence has become a cliche of the MCU but In this case I felt it had more personal stakes to it, the team were essentially uniting to be the good guys and protecting something bigger than their own materialistic interests and that added it of weight to it

I'd give this movie a 9.5/10 easily tieing with X-Men Days of Future Past as the best of this years superhero movies and easily the best MCU movie.

I really hope that going forward they keep this separate. What made it so great other than it being expertly made was that it was separate and not centred around the avengers like every other MCU movie. I don't want to have to watch an avengers movie to see Guardians or watch an avengers movie to know what's going on in a Guardians movie

Favourite scenes/moments

• Yondu getting to show off the wand/arrow thing was awesome
    • "We are Groot"
    • Groot taking the battery thing while the team plan, to take that last
    • Groot dancing at the end, yes it was hilarious
    • The characters getting their moments to talk of their background sufferings
    • Gamora and Peter on the terrace
    • The Collectors Handmaiden trying to break free, she's a great British actress, shame she didn't get much to do
    • Most of the characters meeting while fighting trying to get Starlords Bounty
    • Groot giving the flower to the ittle girl

#340 CyclopsWasRight, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  16. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Knew I heard it!

Great review.

17. Casius--J Web Master

I watched this on Wednesday and I loved it! 9/10 for me!!

The cinema was jam packed, there were no seats left which is incredible. Why? Because I live in Spain and movies here are usually dubbed into Spanish. Only one or two local cinemas show them in original languages. I hate dubbing so of course I watched this in English, I thought perhaps the cinema would be full of English/Other europpean holiday makers but nope, they were almost all Spanish! Everyone was laughing throughout and they seemed to enjoy it. Some even clapped at the end which is very rare over here lol.

18. CyclopsWasRight Well, he was.

There wars only about 20 people in my theatre. 3/4 Men

19. Slushy Registered

After the much anticipated wait, we had arrived and I was so ready for this!

Having never read the source material before, I really didn't know what to expect, but the mystique is what had me so excited to watch all this time. The movie starts off on a downer then after the Marvel logo, sit back, strap on your seat belt, and get ready to go on the cinematic ride of your life.

The best way I could describe it was Farscape on steroids or The Avengers: Outer Space Edition or half Shoot 'Em Up / half Hangover. Whenever there wasn't any fighting or shooting or stuff blowing up, it was joke after one-liner after funny moment. I couldn't stop laughing, I was in damn near tears as Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon took turns trying to one up each other in making the viewer roll in stitches.

Chris Patt played the likeable a--hole who doesn't give a fu** (a.k.a. Pine's Kirk) perfectly. Zoe Saldana was a green Columbiana. Vin Diesel was unrecognizable as Groot as he repeated his line throughout the movie, but even the giant talking tree had his moments.

Rocket's voice wasn't Australian or Jack Nicholson-like or just Bradley Cooper talking. No, he went with a
    New Yorkish
    accent which shocked the sh** out of me as I was not expecting it, but it worked.

The biggest surprise was Dave Batista. Physically imposing and fear invoking as Bane was yet Batista showed new fans and reminded haters why he made a name for himself to begin with: charisma. He held his own and left a memorable impression with his portrayal as Drax. My hat's off to him and the rest of the team for being variant in their personalities. It was like an RPG party.

Michael Rooker was a blue Merle Dixon.

Karen Gilllan as Nebula didn't get much screentime, but her character was just as impressive and beckons her return.

Lee Pace as Ronan was just Thranduil if he was an overpowered alien pharaoh.

My favorite part was Thanos. His name kept being dropped and while he only had 3 minutes of screentime, it took me out of the movie finally seeing one of my favorite Marvel villains coming to life as I sat in my chair exactly like this [​IMG] as Josh Brolin gave the bone chilling performance leaving viewers on edge with a haunting smile.

Its always a huge gamble to introduce aliens and other out of this world elements, but the writers did a great job helping those not familiar with the obscure property immerse themselves into this intergalactic free for all. The CGI was spectacular. The soundtrack was fantastic and introduced kids these days to what real music is in Red Bone and Marvin Gaye. The slow motion scenes weren't overdone. And there were even some serious moments to ground the over the top mayhem.

Marvel made their version of Star Wars. I know that's saying a lot, but I really didn't have much to complain about what I saw and this movie should be remembered for years and years to come by this generation of movie goers.

Everything just clicked. It was all magic. And while some may be disappointed with the climax as they were expecting more, it made sense and I was okay with it given the circumstances. It was like watching the swordsman scene from Raiders of The Ark really.

Guardians Of The Galaxy surpassed The Winter Soldier and rivals The Avengers. It was THAT good much to my exceeded expectations! The film even got a round of applause from my audience when the credits rolled.

Some nerds sitting behind me were saying how much of a great job Ron Perlman did as Thanos. :doh:I wanted to correct them, but chose not to. And after it was all said and done, there is no greater feeling than re-living your childhood and that's exactly what the post credits scene did to me. It was a wonderful reunion after almost 3 decades as nostalgia overcame me! The surprise cameo got a great pop from the crowd. Of course, some girl asked who that is and I turned around and yelled "That's
    The Fu**ing
    !!!" She knew who he was after I reminded her apparently and became just as ecstatic as I was.

As I left my theater, I already know I will never have that kind of whirlwind experience again. I'm hooked on a feeling and I want Guardians 2 already as the film leaves you on a cliffhanger for another fun filled adventure!

In short, believe the hype. This movie will blow you away. :wow:

20. halo10 Registered

HALO10 's review on Guardians of the Galaxy:

I admit for one that proclaims himself as a huge Marvel Superhero fan I actually I knew very little of Guardian of the Galaxy and the
    group in this film didn’t include two members that I knew (Vance Astro aka Major Victory, Mantis, Moondragon and Starhawk)
    and after seeing the movie previews , and myself so used to viewing serious hardcore Marvel films, I admit that was somewhat skeptical of this film,and consider a 50-50 risk gamble that this could be boom or bust.

But director James Gunn delivers a Marvel Superhero film hit that has zany and odd characters that includes an assassin Gamora (Zoe Saldana), a revenge-thirsty tyrant (Drax the Destroyer) an orthodox thief Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), who also self-proclaims himself as “ Starlord” .
    A smart-alec raccoon named Rocket (voiced portrayed by Bradley Cooper) and a naïve living tree named Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel).
    Not only does the very Young Quill suffer a traumatic loss in his life but he is abducted by a unusual force and forced into a
    criminalized way of living. Through his misdeeds involving an mysterious but powerful object called the Orb, he has
    endangered the lives of billions in the universe and despite his usual care-free spirit, now has come to grips that he must band together an unlikely group of misfits to save the universe.

As comically goofy and weird as Guardians of the Galaxy can be, it has surprisingly good fighting action sequences –very good fighting choreography as well as strategic planning, improvising on the run and firearm gun fight even aircraft- fighting.
    This also includes a very good screen write plot and story, the camera work was splendid, (no shaky camera shots) andthe flow and pace of the film is excellent.

It delivers an array of humor and comical lines throughout the entire film, yet tries to sustain some seriousness in its villainous aura.
    The art direction, and CGI special effects – The theater audience that I was a part of was so captivated amused in hard laughter with its comedy spots and one liners that it sometimes made it difficult for me to hear some of the finishing sentences.

Another area of amusement that brought a lot of pizzazz and appeal to the film was the selection of music scores and spots particularly with some 1970’s music. And ironically the music bits came from old Peter “ Starlord “ Quill’s old school collectionof audio cassette tapes from off his Walkman earphone headsets.
    The one minute I try to grasp Quills comical nature, the next minute he is displaying top notch fighting prowess that comes off pretty fast and impressive. He leads the charge for others to follow in this comedy/action mix.

And there’s no question that another element that obviously
    makes Guardian of the Galaxy stand out is its individual characters,from the two zany characters of Quill and Rocket, to the serious siders like Gamora and Drax the Destroyer and Ronan the Accuser.

Speaking of the humor, it is delivered in a massive array of spots and hard one liners throughout the entire film, yet tries to sustain some seriousness in its villainous aura (Ronan, Thanos, Drax, Nebula, the Collector, etc.)
    The audience which I was a part of was so captivated and amused in hard laughter with the film’s comedy spots and hard one liners that it sometimes made it difficult for me to hear some of the finishing sentences.

But the comedy and humor is so genuine- unlike the failed comedy in another Marvel film – ala Fantastic Four (see director Tim Story) this humor was indeed funny. Another area of interest and amusement that I thought brought a lot of pizzazz and flair to the film was the music selection spots, particularly with some of the 70’s music, in certain scenes.(Pinna Colado, Cherry Bomb, Come and Get Your Love, etc.) The timing of these music tip bits in particular scenes were brilliant. It was so well done that I never got the feeling that it was overly campy or too cartoonish like.

I admit for one that proclaims himself as a huge Marvel Superhero fan I actually I knew very little of Guardian of the Galaxy and this group didn’t include two members that I knew (Vance Astro aka Major Victory, Mantis, Moondragon and Starhawk) Glenn Close makes an cameo appearance as Nova Prime, but I admit that I did not get even the slightest interest in her role.

If there were any bit of flaws, I did think the movie trailers gave away too many of the better spots of the film, but perhaps that had to be surrendered to entice the potential viewers to the screen.
    I did think that not enough heart felt motions were brought to either the loss of Quill’s loved one and I got too much of rushed/filler impression of the Quill and Gamora romance. Dunno if Gunn didn’t think he could get enough juice squeezed from those two areas that would have interrupted the pace of the film.
    The ending and final battle wasn’t spectacular and classic but it is was quick and did deliver a surprise with a unforeseen tragic
    (that I admit that I thought was misleading and didn’t buy into it initially)

*Be sure to stay put to the end of the rolling credits – there’s 2 interesting (and amusing) bits at the very end (one with Drax and the other with the Collector which actually included another new Marvel superherothat may likely be in the sequel.

So DO believe the hype, ..Guardians of the Galaxy is odd but so wildly fun and entertaining – it’s written so well for all viewing audiences and a very uniquely brilliant blend mixture of top notch comedy/science fiction/fighting action and CGI special effects in a superhero film that I can’t imagine that’s been produced in similar fashion.

On a scale of 1 to 10 .. I’d give Guardians of the Galaxy an 8.0

21. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

Saw it yesterday...unfortunately because I've seen it a day after Rurouni Kenshin, I didn't feel that much greatness towards this movie...I guess Rurouni Kenshin has made me spoiled this whole summer with its 2 movies. But nonetheless, Guardians of the Galaxy is indeed a good, entertaining movie...My favorite was when Star Lord's dancing in an alien landscape at the beginning of the film, and...I loved Ronan, and also of course...Thanos! Overall I gave it B+ because it had lots of fun and entertaining even though I didn't feel a usual "Magic" I always felt when watching a Marvel Studios movie...I guess I have to watch it again later in BD (when I'm not surrounded and clouded with Rurouni Kenshin's hype) :)

22. Doctor Who KIDNEYS!!!

As I deliver this review, bare in mind I'm humming Redbone enthusiastically:

After my second viewing of Guardians of the Galaxy in IMAX 3D, it can be said this might be Marvel's best film to date... and it's hard to argue with that logic. It's the riskiest comic adaptation to present to the world who aren't familiar with the original comic series (always knew who Nova and Thanos were, but the rest was news to me when press release came out at Comic Con 2 years ago), and so gratifying to have enormous payoff.

Right off the bat, best soundtrack of the year and for a comic film: I mainly hate every new music artist who forgot what instruments and meaningful lyrics are, so to hear oldies I grew up listening to for a sci fi is refreshing. Marvel clearly loves Marvin Gaye, and RIGHTLY SO. The characters have a great amount of flesh on their bones to carry what is a typical hero's tale, but make them so relatable and fun to see interact with one another that you can't help but be distracted from it's simplicity... which HERE works! Props to an excellent cast and crew who brought this more to life than other Marvel characters who only dream to be so recognized, SPECIFICALLY the talents who are Pratt and Cooper. I was very worried about Batista as Drax, but he pleasantly surprised me. :yay:

The effects go without saying, if you have an IMAX nearby that's massive it only increases for the best affect possible. The only REAL problem we have here besides it's simplistic story telling is the antagonists. Ronan as well as Nebula deliver nothing honestly new to the table and are what I like to call "under seasoned." It isn't a huge problem, but when you have such a character richness to our heroes, the film could easily be a COMPLETE TRIUMPH with equally as interesting villains: minus Brolin's Thanos and Del Toro's The Collector... who are only just barely in the film. Glenn Close and John C. Rielly who're both great are very underused.

DO NOT BY ANY MEANS let this lead you to believe these are major problems; the film is flawed, but is filled with non-stop laughs as well as soul with tremendous characterization that you just end up falling in love with everyone. I said we'd be bowing down to this raccoon with our wallets and boy do I know how to guess em'! My heart lingered with Rocket who gave me genuine laughs, some misty eyed moments, and just upping how badass a talking rodent with enormous guns can be! Groot fans also have my respect... and Quill who might as well be the illegitimate son of Han Solo.

Is it perfect? No... but all the risks this film takes to being an oddball science fiction comedy that lands in the uniqueness of Star Wars and Fifth Element... It's just awesome! It gambles big and wins more at the end of the day: I will remain biased because Winter Soldier is nearly a perfect comic film and Days of Future Past will remain my favorite Marvel film for a great while... GOTG slides in in its own catagory that can't be compared to the rest of the Marvel franchise. It's its own best film, and there is no real other way to say it for me. Instant Classic: if you're not a fan yet, YOU WILL BE. See this epic immediately.

P.S. Stay for the credits, trolling has never been done so great. :woot:

23. T-Ray Registered

After months of delays, they finally decided to show this in my theater! Finally!

It was awesome, a true SF action adventure and the coolest movie of the year along with CA:TWS, IMO. Its Marvel's "The Fifth Element", that's how cool it is.

Good stuff:

- Story, while relatively simple, straightforward and predictable, was pure old-school SF fun. It had everything, drama, action, humor, and it was balanced well.

- Characters were well handled and each of the massive cast had their moments. Chemistry between the cast was awesome.

- The design! Oh my God, the design!

- Universe building.

- I got some of my favorite relatively obscure characters in live action (Yondu, Groot, the Collector, Ronan and Nebula), and they were awesome! Yup, there were a lot of changes to them, but I do not care, they still were awesome.

Bad stuff:

- Exposition was somewhat badly executed in couple of places.

Overall, I love this film. One of my most anticipated movies in the last couple of years and I was impressed. MCU Phase II is pure joy, a big step up from Phase I, and I hope that they continue this trend.

As a MCU movie: 10/10
    As a SF movie in general: 9/10

24. First Avenger Registered

One of the most enjoyable movie experience of my life. This movie is life.

9/10

25. Ramsay Snow Winter's Saviour

This was an immensely fun film. I enjoyed everything. Ronan was perfect in the film in that his super-serious attitude contrasted greatly with the comedic tone. Star-Lord was an enjoyable lead character and so were the others. The sad/emotional bits had more of a punch than other films.

Finally, this film stands on its own. I like those kind of films - there's a word for this but I can't remember what it is.

10/10