• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Comics Gwen Stacy or Mary Jane?

CBG

Sidekick
Joined
Sep 11, 2006
Messages
3,142
Reaction score
0
Points
31
We all know that Mary Jane is Peter's wife for years and years now. We know that he loves her and her him.

But then, there's Gwen Stacy.

No one can really forget their first love, and the same applies for Peter. In addition, Gwen Stacy died in Peter's arms against the Goblin on the infamous bridge. Ever since then, Peter always carried her memory.

Yes, we know Mary Jane and Peter are married. But there are at times, when Peter would think of Gwen. In House of M, Peter's 'wish' was granted -- a life AND family with Gwen Stacy.

If Gwen Stacy was alive (and Peter wasn't married to MJ, to make the decision easier) , who would Peter ultimately choose to love?
 
Well, he would have stayed w/ Gwen obviously.
 
If Gwen showed up right now? after he had been un-married , and if MJ was still alive? I'm not sure he'd choose Gwen. Not after years of marriage to MJ, and ( I regret to bring it up ) after Sins Past, Gwen has some SERIOUS explaining to do.
If it was back in the days when she was alive, he would have picked her no doubt.
 
I wonder how may times a thread w/ this title has appeared in this forum since 2000... I bet it's more than 10.
 
Gwen equates to uncle ben. They represent the path that being spiderman helped destroy. Easier to mask the pain(house of m) then remember it. Pete loves mary jane more then gwen.
 
Dangerous said:
I wonder how may times a thread w/ this title has appeared in this forum since 2000... I bet it's more than 10.

Yeah.

And it's always "Gwen vs. MJ." Or "MJ vs. Felicia." Ever notice that no one ever starts a "Gwen vs. Felicia" thread? :p
 
He could have chosen Gwen when her clone was around. He could have, but didn't. He realized that his feelings for her were no longer the same. He went home TO BE WITH MJ.

That was his decision right there. No need to speculate about it here.

Gwen's dead. Rightfully so anyway, she was a boring character.
 
CBG said:
We all know that Mary Jane is Peter's wife for years and years now. We know that he loves her and her him.

But then, there's Gwen Stacy.

No one can really forget their first love, and the same applies for Peter. In addition, Gwen Stacy died in Peter's arms against the Goblin on the infamous bridge. Ever since then, Peter always carried her memory.

Yes, we know Mary Jane and Peter are married. But there are at times, when Peter would think of Gwen. In House of M, Peter's 'wish' was granted -- a life AND family with Gwen Stacy.

If Gwen Stacy was alive (and Peter wasn't married to MJ, to make the decision easier) , who would Peter ultimately choose to love?
Well, thanks to the "sins past"arc we'll be lucky if he doesn't kill Gwen all over again.
 
Gwen's dead. Rightfully so anyway, she was a boring character.

Actually, there is one remaining clone of Gwen that is still active. However, she wanted to live her life for herself. She's in the same limbo like Kaine and Threnody.

Well, thanks to the "sins past"arc we'll be lucky if he doesn't kill Gwen all over again.

Ughh. . . Sins Past was horrible. . .
 
MJ, but lately theyve been like screwing with it and going on and on about gwen, like ever since spider-man blue, which was good, but it was also retarted...they made it seem like he loved dead gwen more then his wife...stupid.
 
Venomfan said:
MJ, but lately theyve been like screwing with it and going on and on about gwen, like ever since spider-man blue, which was good, but it was also retarted...they made it seem like he loved dead gwen more then his wife...stupid.

I disagree.

In my eyes, it was a story about revisiting your first love, that one you never quite get over. That doesn't mean that he loves Gwen more than MJ, it just recognizes that there is still a part of him that DOES love Gwen and will ALWAYS love Gwen (although not necessarily more than MJ and not necessarily romantically). That's just IMO, though. I could definitely see someone at Marvel looking at SPIDER-MAN: BLUE and going "Hey, isn't it obvious?! Pete is in love with Gwen! Gosh, I've got a great idea..."
 
USMC said:
He could have chosen Gwen when her clone was around. He could have, but didn't. He realized that his feelings for her were no longer the same. He went home TO BE WITH MJ.

That was his decision right there. No need to speculate about it here.

Gwen's dead. Rightfully so anyway, she was a boring character.

Yes, yes, and yes.
 
God these threads are getting ridiculous, if it matters that much just use the search button.
My thoughts on the subject:
You never forget your first love, but it's the last one that matters.
(yeah I know that's from The Last Kiss, so sue me.)
 
121 was a great issue and I hope they never bring her back....yeah I know about the clone, but that doesn't count.
 
At the very least, we ought to mark a specific calendar date- say every six months when this debate will come up again.

And it's Gwen, by the way.
 
You can't go back and recreate the innocence of first love... and for Peter it exisits in that place in time that he will always remember as special.

BUT with all that Peter has lived through since Gwen died -- especially sharing a MARRIAGE with someone to whom deep love and shared experiences has tightly BONDED him -- there is no going back.

If some convoluted story brought back Gwen and separated him and MJ... and if somehow he had a choice between them... there is no way he would let MJ go.

Things turned out the way they did for a reason.

Like others have said, there have been many threads on the subject. These posts have more detail:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9493517&postcount=10

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9512320&postcount=30
 
Ah. Sorry about creating another topic. My mistake.

How do I close the thread?
 
Well.. If we're going to have this debate every few months or so, let's stop re-treading the same tired arguments.

Gwen is NOT Peter's "first love". First loves are just that. They're the first experience of having a connection to someone, and by their nature, don't last. You grow apart, get interested in others, or are simply too young to make a serious commitment. Not the case with Peter and Gwen. Betty was Peter's first love. Gwen was his real, true love. Had she not died, they'd still be together.
 
captivated, you are my hero, both of the posts you linked to were awesome, but i especially liked the 2nd one, where he is kinda talking to gwen on the bridge...go MJ, actually both were great cuz no i have lots of reading off that spideykicksbutt site u linked. pete and mj are awesome
 
Well, we all know that if Gwen stayed alive that Pete would still be with her. Everyone involved at the time always say that the original intention was for Gwen to marry Pete, it always was.

But then Gwen passed, and that was one of Peter's greatest lessons, and defeats.

Peter turned into the man he is today in large part because of Gwen's death. Saying that, same did MJ, and it brought them closer.

There's no point debating it, yes, Peter would've given it his absolute best shot with Gwen if she didn't die. And MJ would've stayed as the silly party girl for much longer, but you know what? Gwen died, and everyone were forced to become much more mature people because of it.

And it all lead to the great union of Pete and MJ, which I am happy about :)
 
The thing is, nothing really changed with Gwen's death, at least not for the better. MJ became a very boring character. Everything that the writers liked about writing her was lost. Removing the fun and funny nature of the character killed her. And Peter hasn't become a stronger character over the years. He's become an idiot.

And one other point. For the most part it appears that people who say that Peter is better off with MJ are simply saying this because she's the one that was there when they started reading. Not per se because she's actually the better complimnet to Peter as a character.

Oh. And the Madgoblin thing is way overrated and flawed.
 
Dragon said:
The thing is, nothing really changed with Gwen's death, at least not for the better. MJ became a very boring character. Everything that the writers liked about writing her was lost. Removing the fun and funny nature of the character killed her. And Peter hasn't become a stronger character over the years. He's become an idiot.

And one other point. For the most part it appears that people who say that Peter is better off with MJ are simply saying this because she's the one that was there when they started reading. Not per se because she's actually the better complimnet to Peter as a character.

Oh. And the Madgoblin thing is way overrated and flawed.

Well, each to his own. While being sucky for Pete, I think Gwen's death, (as sad as it was,) was one of the best and most mature things for the Spidey mytho's. It's made his world that much more 'real' to me compared to any other hero.

And Pete's become a twerp since he was written very out of character from joining The Avengers onwards imo... After Sins Past, no one hired can seem to write him. Aside from Aguirre-Sacassa that is.
 
wolvie2020 said:
Well, each to his own. While being sucky for Pete, I think Gwen's death, (as sad as it was,) was one of the best and most mature things for the Spidey mytho's. It's made his world that much more 'real' to me compared to any other hero.

That it did. For about 5 issues. Then it was right back to where we were before. As I've challenged folks here before: What real change did Gwen's death create in Peter? Yes- it's easy to say he bacme more "mature" because of it. But show me actual examples of this. Show me what he learned from Gwen's death. Show me choices he's made post Gwen's death that he wouldn't make pre-Gwen's death (That is, that reflect maturity, he's made loads of stupid decisions after Gwen died).

And Pete's become a twerp since he was written very out of character from joining The Avengers onwards imo... After Sins Past, no one hired can seem to write him. Aside from Aguirre-Sacassa that is.

It was long before Sins Past that Peter became an idiot. One of his darkest moments IMO is ASM #375 when he bent over for Venom. In fact in pretty much every arc featuring Venom or Carnage Peter was a totally fisted. Written properly Peter Parker would never do such a thing. But Marvel, dollars signs flashing in their eyes turned their flagship character into a ***** just so they could make money by turning Venom into a "hero".
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"