Sequels Should Gwen Stacy Replace Mary Jane in 'Spider-Man 4?'

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
1. Having the focus on Gwen as the female lead would give a better, more proper time to develop her character (which "Spider-Man 3" failed to deliver upon). In "SM3", she was relegated to being purely the "other woman" in Peter Parker's life.

2. How much longer or where else can the filmmakers go with the Peter-Mary Jane relationship (other than them getting married obviously)? Especially after all of the drama displayed in the last two movies (i.e. Mary Jane almost marrying another guy, Harry forcing Mary Jane to break up with Peter, and the stuff with the symbiote).

3. It would be a deterrent (for the kids who would want to see the movie) for Kirsten Dunst going to rehab. Besides, Bryce Dallas Howard is far more beautiful than Kirsten Dunst anyway.

1. Having the focus on Gwen as the female lead would give a better, more proper time to develop her character (which "Spider-Man 3" failed to deliver upon). In "SM3", she was relegated to being purely the "other woman" in Peter Parker's life.

Which is all she was supposed to be. SM3 was Gwen's introduction to the series, nothing more.

No, Gwen Stacy will never replace Mary Jane in any freakin' medium. Get use to it forever!

The bottomline, Sam should have started with Gwen, letting her be killed by Defoe's GG in the first SM, that way we could have gotten MJ attempting to comfort Pete for his loss of both Uncle Ben, Gwen, and what happened to Aunt May... so over time, over the coarse of films, their feelings and attraction for another may began to fester, than maybe by Spider-Man 4 the two perhaps decide to seriously date, maybe get married by Spidey 6... also Sam may have had time to cast a better actress to portray MJ instead of Dunst if he didn't have to cast her for the first film in 2000.

Just my 87 cents worth of thoughts. :dry:

Raimi has said that it's likely Gwen will be in the next movie.

I'm sure she'll be in SM4, but replacing MJ, not gonna happen.

No, but she should definitely stay in the movies. We need somebody to fill the gigantic void harry has left for the supporting characters.

The bottomline, Sam should have started with Gwen, letting her be killed by Defoe's GG in the first SM, that way we could have gotten MJ attempting to comfort Pete for his loss of both Uncle Ben, Gwen, and what happened to Aunt May... so over time, over the coarse of films, their feelings and attraction for another may began to fester, than maybe by Spider-Man 4 the two perhaps decide to seriously date, maybe get married by Spidey 6... also Sam may have had time to cast a better actress to portray MJ instead of Dunst if he didn't have to cast her for the first film in 2000.

Just my 87 cents worth of thoughts. :dry:

It would have been weird if Tobey's speech in the beginning included Gwen Stacey instead of MJW. The mainstream audience only knows MJ and is barely familiar with Gwen... if not completely unfamiliar with Gwen pre SM3. Obviously there is no way Sony intended there to be six movie and could not have anticipated the success these movies had. They have to work in context with what they extablished here on out.

It would have been weird if Tobey's speech in the beginning included Gwen Stacey instead of MJW. The mainstream audience only knows MJ and is barely familiar with Gwen... if not completely unfamiliar with Gwen pre SM3. Obviously there is no way Sony intended there to be six movie and could not have anticipated the success these movies had. They have to work in context with what they extablished here on out.

I hardly think had Gwen been in Spider-Man, Tobey aka Peter Parker would have gave that particular speech. Come on... and the mainstream audience are very familiar with who Gwen Stacy is. Don't kid yourself.

The bottomline, Sam should have started with Gwen, letting her be killed by Defoe's GG in the first SM, that way we could have gotten MJ attempting to comfort Pete for his loss of both Uncle Ben, Gwen,

Isn't the first movie supposed to establish that Spider-Man is some kind of a...you know, hero? Killing both Ben and Gwen in the same movie, and both as a result of Peter, would have been overkill (no pun intended).

Raimi has said that it's likely Gwen will be in the next movie.

And Howard has said she would love to reprise her role in another movie too. I think it's a safe bet that she'll return as Gwen, since it was Laura Ziskin's idea to both introduce the character in SM3 and cast Bryce Howard in the role.

I hardly think had Gwen been in Spider-Man, Tobey aka Peter Parker would have gave that particular speech. Come on... and the mainstream audience are very familiar with who Gwen Stacy is. Don't kid yourself.

Maybe now... but ask anyone who Spiderman's first love interest was before any Spiderman film and 90% of them would have probably said MJ.

Exactly. ^

Which is why they went with MJ instead of Gwen Stacy in the first flick.

Maybe now... but ask anyone who Spiderman's first love interest was before any Spiderman film and 90% of them would have probably said MJ.

I disagree...MJ by far is the most recognized and popular, but most of the General audience knows that Gwen was Pete's first Love. The series that lead to her death is still one of the most talk about issuesin casual conversations; and in the mist of those discussions comes the verbiage of her being his first love.

Exactly. ^

Which is why they went with MJ instead of Gwen Stacy in the first flick.

No, that's not entirely true. Sam said himself in 2000, that he use MJ because she is most well known true... but also because she was the one that Peter actually married and that he didn't want to touch Gwen because of her fate.

Now like someone said, her and Uncle Ben dying in one film may be a little much; However I still think it would brought a lot more substance to Peter's character, as to why he believes so whole heartedly about "Great Power comes Great Responsibility" and sacrifice everything... his life, love, and sense of normalcy while learning to love again and the struggles of being more conscience about the those close to him.

I disagree...MJ by far is the most recognized and popular, but most of the General audience knows that Gwen was Pete's first Love.
No, that's not entirely true. Sam said himself in 2000, that he use MJ because she is most well known true... but also because she was the one that Peter actually married and that he didn't want to touch Gwen because of her fate.

You can disagree, but most people don't know who the hell Gwen Stacy is, you really have to be a faithful Spider-Man fan to know her. She's never ended up in any of the cartoons before the movies, video games, etc. Damn-near everytime you read a Spider-Man comic MJ is the chick looking back at you. Most people don't know that Gwen Stacy was Peter's first love, how could they, when all they see is Mary Jane in comic books and out?

Most of the General Audience who have some inkling of familiarity of Spiderman knows for the most part that Gwen was his first and MJ was his second... You are confusing his General Audience with either those who know absolutely nothing about Spiderman, which in that case, doesn't matter or those that may be of age less than that of a teen(maybe 12 and younger) who have not yet been expose to his history.

Here in the internet age, where info is prevalent, most knows and learn about it, be it blogs, forums, or google. Don't kid yourself. Gwen is well known. Many trades and website question in 2000 and 2001 why Gwen didn't, at the very minimal, get a cameo, just to show she exist.... hence the reasoning Sam gave for choosing the route he took. That was a topic of conversation back then.

No, I'm literally talking about the general audience not knowing who Gwen Stacy is. You can't go by the internet and trades (it's ran by geeks, lol), because more than likely they're familiar with Spidey's mythos. Grab the average joe on the street, and ask them who is Spidey's first love. They'll say the redhead chick or they'll name her. I blame Marvel for this, for killing Gwen Stacy too soon in the comic books, before people got a chance to know her. As I have said, it would have been better to kill her at least 15-20 years after her creation, then she would have been a bigger part of Spider-Man outside of the comic books.

It doesn't matter anyway because they can still kill off the character the right way and still give it emotion... just get Byrce back... though they may have to do it sooner than later b/c I doubt Byrce will return for the fifth installment if there is one... and I don't want a recast because then you just water everything down. I guess if they think they got long term value with a character like Gwen then just recast and start over 4-6... heck I wouldn't even mind and out right reboot of both Gwen and maybe Eddie down the line considering how poorly they were used in SM3.

I think sPider-Man 3 did a pretty good job of making me wish MJ bit the bullet instead of Gwen. She was overly *****y, victimized in the finale in almost the exact same way and where the hell did the singing crap come from? You sPent the last two movies establishing she wanted to act, Raimi, how the hell are you gonna screw up your continuity and only after three films? Did you really just need to turn her into a singing waitress to establish the jazzy moves of black-suited Peter Parker?

Let it go, take a breather and let it go...

MJ ain't being replaced or dying.

They also said the marriage would never end in the comics, but here we have Peter a swinging bachelor again. The relationship with MJ and MJ herself had been poorly handled in the movie. So I think few people would be heart broken over a change. There is no denying that Bryce was far more interesting and attractive than Dunst, and Gwen creates far more story opportunity than Mary Jane. Although granted the filmakers would likely take far too simplistic an approach to exploit them; just as they've taken far too simplistic an approach to the entire series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"