Best Harry Potter Movie?

Secret_Riddle said:
prisoner of azkaban is the shortest harry potter movie at 2 hours and 21 minutes.

I was dragged to see that in the cinema:( the best thing about harry potter is the website counting down till emma watson is 18, lol

Cyrusbales said:
I was dragged to see that in the cinema:( the best thing about harry potter is the website counting down till emma watson is 18, lol

lmfao i gather your not a fan of potter then.:dew: :ninja:

Secret_Riddle said:
lmfao i gather your not a fan of potter then.:dew: :ninja:

I think they're pretty good childrens films/books, but when you have grown adults raving about them, it's like "dude, you have so little knowledge of cinema if this is what you class as a good film" and so on.....

Cyrusbales said:
I think they're pretty good childrens films/books, but when you have grown adults raving about them, it's like "dude, you have so little knowledge of cinema if this is what you class as a good film" and so on.....
So a film has to targeted for adults to be good, now? I'm really not seeing it. Good is good, no matter who the target audience is.

Sloth7d said:
So a film has to targeted for adults to be good, now? I'm really not seeing it. Good is good, no matter who the target audience is.

I myself would go as far to say that the last 2 Harry Potter movies havent been children films, theyve just starred children. They deal with a lot of mature themes and have scenes that are to mature for children. Most little kids I have talked to only like the first 2 Potter movies. The Potter films are great, like you said and if some people arent willing to accept that then their own ignorance towards the whole Potter universe is really showing.

Sloth7d said:

it's good for a childs film, as it challenges children more than they're used to, and has more cineematic content than childrens films usually do. But when compared to the broader spectrum of films, then it fails miserably.

Sorry if i wasn't as clear before:)

Cyrusbales said:
it's good for a childs film, as it challenges children more than they're used to, and has more cineematic content than childrens films usually do. But when compared to the broader spectrum of films, then it fails miserably.

I disagree actually. I think the cinematography in the last 2 Harry Potter movies is excellent. It has opened up a lot of doors for fantasy films, and the writing and sets are great. I actually know more adults who like the last 2 Harry potter movies and the most recent Harry Potter books then kids. I think that LOTR and Harry Potter are the reason so many fantasy movies are coming out now and they have set a very high standard. You should understand this especially since your an independant film maker. They pretty much brought a whole genre back.

Cyrusbales said:

Thats still not true. Because a great movie like say... E.T. can easily outshine something like American Pie or even a classic like the LionKing can be better than a movie like the Grudge. My point still stands. Good is good, no matter what.

Secret_Riddle said:
I disagree actually. I think the cinematography in the last 2 Harry Potter movies is excellent. It has opened up a lot of doors for fantasy films, and the writing and sets are great. I actually know more adults who like the last 2 Harry potter movies and the most recent Harry Potter books then kids. I think that LOTR and Harry Potter are the reason so many fantasy movies are coming out now and they have set a very high standard. You should understand this especially since your an independant film maker. They pretty much brought a whole genre back.

that's the whole problem, the film is generic, it fails to challenge much, by employing all the generic conventions of the genre. The only doors it's opened up are money gateways, all the studio's are jumping on the bandwagon to make money, not film. These films are not made because somebody wants to make them, but because people can make money off of them.

I like Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire about the same.

I thought Chamber was the best, everything just worked in that movie for me and there wasn't too much that was taken out.

POA is very close to the best, but I feel a few very important parts were cut or shortened. The trial of Buckbeak was barely mentioned, the stuff with Scabbers and Crookshanks and feud between Ron and Hermione was also barely mentioned, both of these are important parts of the books that set up the ending. Also not telling the origin of the Maruaders Map sucked. If they kept that stuff in and it would really only add about 10-15 minutes to the run time would have made the movie far and away the best.

Sorceror's Stone was servicable, didn't do anything really spectacular, but was a very solid movie. Some very bad effects, but overall it worked.

Goblet of Fire I feel was the worst, it just moved way too fast. Especially the first 45 minutes or so, with the opening feast, schools and Moody arriving at the same time. There's also Dumbledore's infamous charge at Harry which was totally out of character. Only showing one trial in the Pensieve. I wasn't a big fan of the maze either, also why were the Weasley's in the upper deck for the World Cup? They're supposed to be in the Ministries booth, not to mention the whole World Cup sequence was waaay too short and chaotic. I feel everything that was in the movie was done very well, the dragon and black lake sequences were amazing, but there was just too many changes, cuts and the pacing just sucked.

amazingfantasy15 said:
I thought Chamber was the best, everything just worked in that movie for me and there wasn't too much that was taken out.

POA is very close to the best, but I feel a few very important parts were cut or shortened. The trial of Buckbeak was barely mentioned, the stuff with Scabbers and Crookshanks and feud between Ron and Hermione was also barely mentioned, both of these are important parts of the books that set up the ending. Also not telling the origin of the Maruaders Map sucked. If they kept that stuff in and it would really only add about 10-15 minutes to the run time would have made the movie far and away the best.

Sorceror's Stone was servicable, didn't do anything really spectacular, but was a very solid movie. Some very bad effects, but overall it worked.

Goblet of Fire I feel was the worst, it just moved way too fast. Especially the first 45 minutes or so, with the opening feast, schools and Moody arriving at the same time. There's also Dumbledore's infamous charge at Harry which was totally out of character. Only showing one trial in the Pensieve. I wasn't a big fan of the maze either, also why were the Weasley's in the upper deck for the World Cup? They're supposed to be in the Ministries booth, not to mention the whole World Cup sequence was waaay too short and chaotic. I feel everything that was in the movie was done very well, the dragon and black lake sequences were amazing, but there was just too many changes, cuts and the pacing just sucked.

goblet of fire truly is an overstuffed book though. Like order of the phoenix is longer but i still always felt more was going on in book 4 which is why alot of stuff was cut.

My two fave books are the first and fourth, and those are my fave movies aswell.

Outside of Nostalgia I get kind of board with the first one.

3rd, and 4th are my favs

I've only seen the first two movies, though I do plan on seeing the others. That being said, I voted for Chamber Of Secrets. I just love the atmosphere, the grimness, everything about it. It really is a great movie.

Cyrusbales said:
that's the whole problem, the film is generic, it fails to challenge much, by employing all the generic conventions of the genre. The only doors it's opened up are money gateways, all the studio's are jumping on the bandwagon to make money, not film. These films are not made because somebody wants to make them, but because people can make money off of them.

Christ. Who. Cares?

You are ****ing high maintenance.

Are there any spectacular setpieces in Order of the Phoenix, or is it mostly dialogue and wizards fighting each other with pointy sticks?

terry78 said:
Are there any spectacular setpieces in Order of the Phoenix, or is it mostly dialogue and wizards fighting each other with pointy sticks?

It has a huge action finish, actually, in the Ministry of Magic, with a curtain that acts as a portal between life and death.

Secret_Riddle said:
goblet of fire truly is an overstuffed book though. Like order of the phoenix is longer but i still always felt more was going on in book 4 which is why alot of stuff was cut.

I'm not saying there wasn't stuff that could be easily cut, the blast ended skewrts, SPEW were things that didn't need to be in the movie. I just felt the 4th moved too fast, there were no small scenes, it just moved from set piece to set piece. Also it doesn't seem right that the longest book is one of the shortest of the movies.

The series has improved every time, so GOF is my fave,

although, HBP is now my second fave HP, book so I can't wait for that one either.

Another thing that annoyed me about GOF is not mentioning the cash prize from the tournament and giving that money to the Weasley's which is a big part of the 5th book.

amazingfantasy15 said:
Another thing that annoyed me about GOF is not mentioning the cash prize from the tournament and giving that money to the Weasley's which is a big part of the 5th book.
I assume they wanted the movie to end on a somber note what with Voldemort and Diggory being ix-nayed, so cash would probably contradict what they were trying to do.

Well, one of the big reasons Harry gives the money to them is he feels everyone's gonna need some laughs with what's ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"