Harry Potter - The Complete Series Thread

I want to watch this, and selfishly I hope they call out JK on her TERF ways.

Also Rupert Grint deserves wayyyy more work than he gets

On another note: I rewatched POA the other day on a whim and my goodness, what a beautiful looking film.
I really wish that they had courted Alfonso Cuaron to direct another film or two in the franchise after POA. David Yates has directed every Wizarding World movie in the past 15 years and yet Cuaron is still the one that gets singled out for the amazing work he did on POA. That really says something.

I think he prefers to be particular in what projects he picks, similar to Daniel Radcliffe although he's been in a lot more stuff than Grint since HP ended. Grint also seems to be a very private person so he's probably more likely to avoid the limelight rather than take on movie after movie. I still enjoy seeing all three of them in anything considering they all could have easily retired after the series ended with how much they made off of them.

I want to watch this, and selfishly I hope they call out JK on her TERF ways.

They won't do that. But I'll take a good shunning. Especially after some of the stupid stuff older cast members have said. Embarrassing, the lot of them.

I really wish that they had courted Alfonso Cuaron to direct another film or two in the franchise after POA. David Yates has directed every Wizarding World movie in the past 15 years and yet Cuaron is still the one that gets singled out for the amazing work he did on POA. That really says something.
Sometimes I feel like it’s time to move on from Yates (as much as I enjoyed his Potters), but given that the bigger issues with Fantastic Beasts are on the page and the fact that their lead actor is… not overly engaging, I’m not sure it would make a huge difference.

The one kid actor I didn't expect to have a big adult career is Harry Melling who played Dudley.

Now he's in two Coen films, The Queen's Gambit and set to co-star with Christian Bale as Edgar Allan Poe. Good for him.

Sometimes I feel like it’s time to move on from Yates (as much as I enjoyed his Potters), but given that the bigger issues with Fantastic Beasts are on the page and the fact that their lead actor is… not overly engaging, I’m not sure it would make a huge difference.
I liked Yates's Potter films too but I can't for the life of me figure out why they gave him the keys to the whole franchise other than maybe he's a yes man who doesn't demand a high salary. I thought Mike Newell did just as fine of a job directing Goblet of Fire, even though I know a lot of people might disagree since it's usually viewed as one of the worst of the series, which I never understood.

The one kid actor I didn't expect to have a big adult career is Harry Melling who played Dudley.

Now he's in two Coen films, The Queen's Gambit and set to co-star with Christian Bale as Edgar Allan Poe. Good for him.
Yeah, he's been popping up in a lot of stuff recently. Meanwhile I'm still wrapping my head around Cedric Diggory growing up to play Batman. :o

I liked Yates's Potter films too but I can't for the life of me figure out why they gave him the keys to the whole franchise other than maybe he's a yes man who doesn't demand a high salary. I thought Mike Newell did just as fine of a job directing Goblet of Fire, even though I know a lot of people might disagree since it's usually viewed as one of the worst of the series, which I never understood.
Yates was cool with the streamlining and I get why they liked him after Order. But his style is so blah now. We need someone willing to spice it up visually.

The issues with Goblet to me go directly to the script. I feel like Newell himself did a rather good job. Just wish it was longer. Like Order, I feel like those two movies benefit the most from the TV extended cut treatment.

The 4Ks are 100$ on Amazon right now. Don't tempt me! :argh:

I feel like that choice was made right around the same time that Snyder was given dominion over all things DC, so… all in all, not a huge fan of the Kevin Tsujihara era.

I feel like that choice was made right around the same time that Snyder was given dominion over all things DC, so… all in all, not a huge fan of the Kevin Tsujihara era.
Their motto for that era might as well have been, "It's not quite who we wanted, but....ALL IN!!!"

Yates was cool with the streamlining and I get why they liked him after Order. But his style is so blah now. We need someone willing to spice it up visually.

The issues with Goblet to me go directly to the script. I feel like Newell himself did a rather good job. Just wish it was longer. Like Order, I feel like those two movies benefit the most from the TV extended cut treatment.
Yates gets a pass on the Potter movies because he didn't really need to do all that much. He started on the franchise right in the middle and it was a well-oiled machine at that point. The actors all knew their characters by then and Cuaron set the tone for the visual style of the series with POA. All Yates had to do was call the shots and he did a suitable job, but WB should have thought more outside the box when it came to launching Fantastic Beasts.

I know everybody says this, but I'd love for them to reboot the movies with a television show.

I know everybody says this, but I'd love for them to reboot the movies with a television show.
I'd take an animated full series that does the books from beginning to end. After that they can have their way with any daft spin off.

I doubt they'd reboot the series for the next couple of decades, if at all. Even though quite a bit of material was left out of films 4-6 in particular, they were still faithful enough that I don't think a reboot is really warranted.

If you dont mind digital, the 4K digital bundle is $60 at Vudu. The digital versions have Dolby Vision which was left off of the disc versions.
Thanks, but if I am paying that much, I definitely want the physical media. But thank you. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"