• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Hasbro's Power Rangers Movie Franchise.

Power Rangers failed because they were probably hoping to get by on the nostalgia/superhero/reboot movie craze. Nostalgia for a once titanic mega franchise. A lot of people who watched it or were fond of it as kids were now adults and possibly had kids of their own at this point. Superhero property going for it. Potential for a diverse, multi-cultural cast. From a business standpoint it ticks all the boxes.

The script was way too minimal. There was barely any action in the film. Yes, you need to care about the characters and their story, but in a movie like Power Rangers, you need to actually show the Power Rangers.

The effects and production were rushed. The visuals and effects are low rent and you can tell. Most of the budget likely went to putting the movie together in like five months after they wrapped production.

Designs were uninspired. The zords look like garbage. Goldar looked like garbage. The putties looked like garbage. Not to mention, we barely see any of them and Rita at all. Rita needed some actual minions and monsters to insult and play off of too. Otherwise, it's mainly just Elizabeth Banks creeping around most of the movie on her own.

All this "you need to morph together and sync your emotions BS." I'm fine with morph taking a lot of training and control and focus. But it was a waste of time. You needed basically a midpoint action sequence so we can finally see the Rangers in action and fighting monsters. Maybe the Putties attack a town or factory and put innocents in danger. This is our first chance to see the team in action. Give them an early victory. Maybe they are still having trouble adjusting to the teamwork and their new abilities. Even in Avengers, while we had to wait until the end for the team to finally come together, we got to see them in action frequently before that final act.

Have the rangers morph when they first attempt to fight Rita, but Rita and her monsters/minion overpower them and Rita causes them to de-morph, leading to Billy's death instead of that pathetic attempt for an action sequence.

"No one" is a bit of a stretch. Something good to care about won't happen with Power Rangers with the general audience. It's based on a ridiculously silly TV show that I'm sure quite a few people have laughed at over the years.

Basically, you want a Power Rangers film that the GA will take seriously or be interested in you need to really amp up how serious it should be...which might then annoy the diehard fans.
Die hard fans would buy a serious take.

I'd never want a Power Rangers take to be Zack Snyder Batman v Superman. I wouldn't want ultra campy and goofy either. Just for example, I wish the 2017 movie didn't have a Michael Bay-style joke about a guy tasting the semen from a bull he thought was a cow.

The 2017 movie was clearly trying to be serious for the most part.

I didn't mind the film having a bit of a serious tone but the problem was the execution of things like from the suits to characterizations(especially Rita and Goldar).

The tone was a well balance of light hearted and seriousness but it definetly felt like a Michael Bay film without at least being action packed

The suits that probably had a total of about two minutes of screentime as I recall.

Had to be more than that but it definetly wasn't enough. Screentime of the first original film would have been nice but I guess it made sense as it was an origin story

Had to be more than that but it definetly wasn't enough. Screentime of the first original film would have been nice but I guess it made sense as it was an origin story

As an origin story it lacked balance. Spider-Man 2002 and Batman Begins are origin stories, and they don't wait until the final act to put Peter or Bruce in a costume.

I sometimes wonder if these old school properties that were very camp back in the day wouldn't be better off just embracing that campiness.

The design for the Zords were a let down for the 2017 film. I bought my godson the megazord toy and the power morpher (that was nonexistent in the movie) and I wasn’t even impressed by those either.

I did however like the sequence in the movie when they actually formed Megazord.

The design for the Zords were a let down for the 2017 film. I bought my godson the megazord toy and the power morpher (that was nonexistent in the movie) and I wasn’t even impressed by those either.

I did however like the sequence in the movie when they actually formed Megazord.

I didn't love it tbh. The formation took place in fire and we didn't see it.

Last edited:
One thing I'm concerned about with the hypothetical reboot is whether a potential Shattered Grid adaptation would come across as an Infinity War/Endgame rip-off.

It shouldn't. Story is different

Shattered Grid as a starting point would be a bad idea. It'd be like stuffing Doomsday and Death of Superman into the second film of your shared DC Universe.

Shattered Grid as a starting point would be a bad idea. It'd be like stuffing Doomsday and Death of Superman into the second film of your shared DC Universe.
I meant as something to build towards just like in the comics. And if and when that happens it would be compared to Infinity War and Endgame.

I meant as something to build towards just like in the comics. And if and when that happens it would be compared to Infinity War and Endgame.

I think it'd definitely be an option of something they can build towards. At the same time, you need to get a movie franchise off the ground first.

#2deep4me

Would the original designs have worked with the Iron Man type suits? Like a blend from the original movie suits and the new ones.

I'm thinking about the 2017 suits and I actually like the colors and style but the designs of the rest..not so much. I'm really curious how they'll do the new ones but I'm confident that the original movie suits can still work if modernized and tweaked a bit

They're not just true to the show designs but also overall better and cooler looking imo

what-happened-to-the-cast-of-mighty-morphin-po.jpg

power-rangers-1995-movie-suits-costume.jpg

gxfjvgjl.gif

Last edited:
Hasbro’s been saying this since they bought the rights. It’ll probably be a really long time before this actually happens.

I’ll miss the cast but it was always obvious they were going to reboot after the movie underperformed. Literally nothing else worked. The designs, the story, the action. It all sucked.

It's only a good starting point if you keep it within original PR continuity and pull a Star Trek with beginning it in the present day with OG cast members before going to the past to change things.

It can work as an inspired story for a 3rd or 4th film

One thing I'm concerned about with the hypothetical reboot is whether a potential Shattered Grid adaptation would come across as an Infinity War/Endgame rip-off.

Would Shattered Grid make sense to someone who never watched the PR shows or read the comics (i.e. me)? I realise there'd most likely be references that I'd miss, but I have a general understanding of who the Rangers are and what they can do. Would it be possible to enjoy it as a standalone story? I like reading crossovers from companies other than the big two, and Shattered Grid looks pretty interesting.

Edit: Just in case it's not clear, I'm talking about the comic, not a movie adaptation.

Last edited:
It would benefit the production if they signed on actual established stars to be in the cast too. The 2017 movie gambled with a bunch of unknowns and Bryan Cranston and that was a disservice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"