• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

HBO's Game of Thrones - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

The storyline added so much to the mythology (GRRM approved it all) and the actual story itself between the two main characters was really emotional and tied into Robert's Rebellion so well (one of the main characters was asked to murder Elia). It was a slog to get through because the gameplay is so buggy and kinda out of date, but it's a really compelling narrative that's told via chapters like the books, ending with cliffhangers and the like.

GRRM himself said that he plans on mentioning the two characters and their houses in WoW. He even cameo's as Maester Martin lol

I think it will go to 8. But AFFC just has too much filler/downtime that would be very boring (parts were in the book) and would just really kill the momentum of the overall show. I've said from the get go, there is really only a few hundred pages from AFFC that are needed, and even some of that can be condensed and still continue the narrative and the character arcs just fine. Which a lot of this season I think will have some of it finished.

Episode 4 is "Oath Keeper"

Which of course is what Brienne names her sword Jaime gives her. And that means she will start her quest half way through this season. And her's more then anyone elses can be condensed greatly. I'm betting Lady Stoneheart will be "revealed" at the end of this season, but not from the part in the book with the random Frey. It will probably be revealed by the end part of Brienne's quest in AFFC.

7 seasons of only 10 episodes. Too short :csad:

7 seasons of only 10 episodes. Too short :csad:

Most likley going to 8 though. And he even says that. Depending on more about the last two books.

80 is plenty. Just like with anything as they said don't over do it. People just want too much more of the same show and it just starts to fade out and become stale. Finish it when it needs to, don't extend it just because people like it and want more.

I don't think there is anyway GRRM finishes in time. I don't know why, but I feel kind of sad that we are almost a the midway point here. Where does time go?

I think it's possible. He's not giving any ETA's anymore because of how much harassment he gets from fans about when it's coming out. If it's important to him that the series is published before the show ends, then it will be done.

I think it's possible. He's not giving any ETA's anymore because of how much harassment he gets from fans about when it's coming out. If it's important to him that the series is published before the show ends, then it will be done.
Do you meant estimates? He always says he isn't going to do that, and eventually he does. He did it with both AFFC and ADWD.

Edit: reply to Solidus

8's not so bad. 7 would have meant only 3 seasons left after this one. I think they'd have a job just resolving all the side stories and characters they have now, never mind characters yet to be introduced and the main plot lol. I actually have an aversion to TV shows like Smallville outside of the episodes that advance the ongoing plot which are great, because they have too much filler material (crap) that drags down the quality but with GoT the side stories and secondary characters are as good as the leads on some other shows.

And unless GRRM has already done some kind of rough draft of both of those last books already he's going to find it difficult getting the last one done on time. If ASOIAF is going to be his defining work it will have been a bit stupid to have taken so long in the middle of the series and then rush at the end when all the most important events happen and need to be finalised for good.

I trust Dan and David will not short it for the heck of it. They will tell the story they need to tell to finish it with justice.

I think HBO will make an eighth season quite enticing for them.

No.

They also further went on to talk with David and he thinks it can be done in 7, but they may go into 8 (which I think will probably happen). But they won't (and don't need to) go beyond 8.

And again I know it's the "teehee" on the interwebz, but I think Martin is probably going through writing TWOW and ADOS at a much brisker pace then his last two books. He's got the pressure now. The way David and Dan talked about talking with Martin I think Martin feels confident he will get them done.

This came out today:

“Last year we went out to Santa Fe for a week to sit down with him [Martin] and just talk through where things are going, because we don’t know if we are going to catch up and where exactly that would be. If you know the ending, then you can lay the groundwork for it. And so we want to know how everything ends. We want to be able to set things up. So we just sat down with him and literally went through every character.” Martin tells Windolf, “I can give them the broad strokes of what I intend to write, but the details aren’t there yet. I’m hopeful that I can not let them catch up with me. - See more at: http://m.joblo.com/joblo/news/52821#sthash.q6jk4Ecy.dpuf
Martin seems to think he can stay ahead of them.

Ya Marv, even though he does get lots of guff (lots deserved) for how long it took to do AFFC and ADWD, I think he is more motivated then he was before. That and I always felt that AFFC and some of ADWD was really just filler because he wanted it to be 7 books, but did not think he could make that number with the material he had and only do 6. (Though now I think he realizes he could have easily done 7 without the filler of 4 and some of 5). I felt he struggled with 4 and 5 because of that and he tried to figure out how to extend some of the story at that point in time which is why it kinda gets off the narrative path.

He has known the ending since the get go so I know TWOW and ADOS is going more back to the traditional style (not splitting up characters per book) it may be going quicker. And he was doing a lot of other projects from 2000-2011. So maybe now he's just focusing on nothing but ASOIAF.

He is saying the right thing, but I just can't see him getting it done. I hope I am wrong.

By the way watching the Season 3 recap on HBO right now. I love how they put these together.

He is saying the right thing, but I just can't see him getting it done. I hope I am wrong.

I think the opposite. I think his ego won't allow the show to surpass the books, making him work harder. He wants people to read the books first then the show. I mean he released the longest of them (ASOS) came out about 1.75 years after ACOK. I think he has the fire under him that he never had for AFFC/ADWD.

Last edited:
By the way watching the Season 3 recap on HBO right now. I love how they put these together.

While its cool to see cast interviews, having them read off a teleprompter explaining the scene we literally just saw is really lame.

Oh and right there Beric got stabbed... but then came back. it was weird.

Thanks for the insight Arya and Hound.

Do you meant estimates? He always says he isn't going to do that, and eventually he does. He did it with both AFFC and ADWD.

ETA as in estimated time arrival. So far, all he's said is, "Not this year, maybe next year" the past few years. Even when he talks about where he is, I expect him to be vague. He's never going to say, "I just sent it to the editor and I'm about a quarter through A Dream of Spring." What's going to happen, is one day, he'll post on his blog the cover of The Winds of Winter and a date. There won't be hints, there won't be an announcement for an announcement, he'll say when it's coming out when he knows.

While its cool to see cast interviews, having them read off a teleprompter explaining the scene we literally just saw is really lame.

Oh and right there Beric got stabbed... but then came back. it was weird.

Thanks for the insight Arya and Hound.
I can watch Lena Headey read off a telepromoter all day. :D

I think the opposite. I think his ego won't allow the show to surpass the books, making him work harder. He wants people to read the books first then the show. I mean he released the longest of them (ASOS) came out about 1.75 years after ACOK. I think he has the fire under him that he never had for AFFC/ADWD.
ASOS was one third written before ACOK was published. The first three books of ASOIAF were basically conceived at the same time. They just kept getting bigger and bigger. Very natural, and thus fast process. Not unlike the first four Harry Potters. That is why they came together so quickly.

ETA as in estimated time arrival. So far, all he's said is, "Not this year, maybe next year" the past few years. Even when he talks about where he is, I expect him to be vague. He's never going to say, "I just sent it to the editor and I'm about a quarter through A Dream of Spring." What's going to happen, is one day, he'll post on his blog the cover of The Winds of Winter and a date. There won't be hints, there won't be an announcement for an announcement, he'll say when it's coming out when he knows.
My point is that he has said he wasn't going to do this in the past, and eventually he breaks down and does it. It happened with AFFC and ADWD.

I can watch Lena Headey read off a telepromoter all day. :D

ASOS was one third written before ACOK was published. The first three books of ASOIAF were basically conceived at the same time. They just kept getting bigger and bigger. Very natural, and thus fast process. Not unlike the first four Harry Potters. That is why they came together so quickly.

My point is that he has said he wasn't going to do this in the past, and eventually he breaks down and does it. It happened with AFFC and ADWD.

And I'm pretty sure he said he had quite a bit of TWOW close to done or done and wished he would have put the first few hundred pages with ADWD if I'm not mistaken. And actually he had the entire series figured out, it's just they grew from there. Since the get go he's known the ending and most of the main plot points. He was going to make the entire series 3 books at first but it expanded to 6 right as he finished AGOT. It's not that he knew just the first three and it's why it went quicker, he knew the entire story, it was more of him wanting to push it to 7 and his trouble with the middle part that really slowed down AFFC/ADWD which he said himself.

And I'm pretty sure he said he had quite a bit of TWOW close to done or done and wished he would have put the first few hundred pages with ADWD if I'm not mistaken. And actually he had the entire series figured out, it's just they grew from there. Since the get go he's known the ending and most of the main plot points. He was going to make the entire series 3 books at first but it expanded to 6 right as he finished AGOT. It's not that he knew just the first three and it's why it went quicker, he knew the entire story, it was more of him wanting to push it to 7 and his trouble with the middle part that really slowed down AFFC/ADWD which he said himself.
The exact opposite actually. He moved a few chapters from ADWD to TWOW and his last confirmation was that TWOW was about 20-30% done. He also said he isn't ruling out 8 books.

I think some of that was he felt like he owed fans updates on them since he had to start from scratch after spending a significant amount of time trying to work with the 5 year jump.

I think some of that was he felt like he owed fans updates on them since he had to start from scratch after spending a significant amount of time trying to work with the 5 year jump.
The point is though he said he wasn't going to do it, and then he did. I expect it to happen again, but I could definitely be wrong.

tumblr_n2b2gj3VnM1qirafjo1_250.gif
tumblr_n2b2gj3VnM1qirafjo2_250.gif

laughed my ass off

The point is though he said he wasn't going to do it, and then he did. I expect it to happen again, but I could definitely be wrong.

If he's smart, he'll have learned his lesson, especially with more fans from the show.

The exact opposite actually. He moved a few chapters from ADWD to TWOW and his last confirmation was that TWOW was about 20-30% done. He also said he isn't ruling out 8 books.

I've heard him say that, but I doubt he will go that far. The point is even by the last half of ADWD you could feel the steam picking up, after setting up the chess board now it seems like it's chugging along at the pace we were used to. I can't speak for him but it seems now that he does know the ending with all of them, usually the middle can be the hardest part to write. I have a feeling for many reasons he's writing these ones at a quicker pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"