He'll Cancel the Pizzas: The Alfred Pennyworth Thread

Boom

I got nothin'
Reaction score
A new era of Batman is upon us, which means a new take on everyone's favorite butler. This thread is to discuss everything Alfred, from casting to characterization to what role he'll serve.

Mark Rylance. I want that classic thin, balding, mustachioed Alfred, dammit.

This isn't exactly a left-field choice, but Pip Torrens (The Crown, Preacher):

pip-torrens.jpg

They pretty much got it right in the Nolan movies, as far as what I’d expect and want from any version of Alfred. I just think he should be about a decade and half - maybe even a full two - younger (because Alfred should look like he could get involved in some minor action if it was ever necessary) and maybe more sarcastic.

No one immediately springs to mind, but I’m sure others will have some great ideas. Not too picky about this one, to be honest.

I really liked seeing Alfred more hands-on in BvS and JL (especially in lieu of Oracle), and I'd like to see that continue in Reeves' film. In fact, I'd even go a bit further and have more involved in the actual field work. Get him outside of the cave and onto the streets. The man has a background in British intelligence and I'd like to see that tapped into more.

Last edited:
2019 Oscar snub Hugh Grant!

F7-EC75-DC-B398-40-F4-9-CDE-7-F9-DB1-A87-DA1.jpg

This isn't exactly a left-field choice, but Pip Torrens (The Crown, Preacher):

pip-torrens.jpg
I think this is the first candidate I've ever seen suggested with the right (lack of) hair for the part.

2015 Oscar WINNER Mark Rylance!

I would still love to see Timothy Dalton give it a go, even if they bald him up.

Watching Titanic and now I wanna mention Jonathan Hyde as a possibility. Don't know how much his hair has thinned, since I haven't seen him recently, but he does (or did) give off a vibe that reminds me of the animated series Alfred.

Second thought, he's probably far too old by now.

Last edited:
Watching Titanic and now I wanna mention Jonathan Hyde as a possibility. Don't know how much his hair has thinned, since I haven't seen him recently, but he does (or did) give off a vibe that reminds me of the animated series Alfred.

Second thought, he's probably far too old by now.

He's 70. Caine was 71 or so when he filmed BB.

jonathan-hyde-122722.jpg

I just want Alfred to look like this:
8wjlmg.jpg

I suggest Jonathan Pryce, age 71--

jonathan-pryce-05.jpg

london-uk-4th-oct-2018-jonathan-pryce-the-height-of-the-storm-photocall-wyndhams-theatre-london-uk-04-october-2018-photo-by-richard-goldschmidt-credit-rich-goldalamy-live-news-PRWNMN.jpg

Hugh Grant's kind of an interesting suggestion. ^ Generally can't stand the guy, but if they do cast quite young for Bruce I could actually se that working. Would bring the smartass sass in spades, along with some of that Irons-esque stereotypical-upper-class-British-guy vibe. Not sure I've ever seen that guy be all that likeable though, the kindly-and-wise-grandpa stuff might take some work, but probably achievable.

I've been all on the Dalton train for quite a while though, going back pre-Snyder. About the only drawback I can fathom with Tim is he may be a little too similar to Irons in vibe, but that's minor. Hardly a dealbreaker.

Dalton doing sort of half-Irons and half-older-version-of-Pertwee-from-Gotham could be pretty perfect.

I want a classic Alfred... a chubby, bumbling amateur detective running afoul with the dynamic duo.

Alternatively, though...

38-A32506-AA4-F-4-E80-A6-FC-9-B04-D65-EFAA5.jpg

Alfred and Bruce?
I feel like he'd be very much in the mold of the Earth One Alfred, though, and coming off both Gotham and Jeremy Irons' Alfred, I'd prefer to see something a little closer to our most iconic Alfred Pennyworth.

Someone who would be absolutely perfect as a classic Alfred is Michael Palin, I just hope he's not too old.

B88121559Z.1_20180404141507_000_G4D4LRI7.3-0_Super_Portrait.jpg

palin_hay_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwUUyLnH34hMUr7N0NOuEzww.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"