The Dark Knight Rises The Alfred Pennyworth Thread

Sometimes I wonder how people who wants every character to have a ton of characterization and development in a movie are wanting things to be done. Movies are not like comics or books where there is that kind of room and time for such things. People thought the character of Bruce got put too much aside´in TDK, now imagine having a bigger part for someone like Alfred too or even other characters. It would have been an unfocused mess!

The way Sir Michael Caine is playing this role is amazing. That face in the trailer. Nothing forced. Just a still heart felt concern for Bruce. Oldman and Caine both have a way with their faces. Great delivery and I think that's the scene Gary Oldman was referring to. Interested in how Pennyworth pans out in the end.

No, he really has not had a ton of characterization. He's been the same old supporting/concerned/serviceable Alfred he's always been, save for a few mentions of his past. Casually mentioning that you had a previous job/life, and explaining Bruce's legacy to him, while helping him become Batman is not a ton of characterization. He has had more to do than previous Alfreds have, but they really haven't done much to develop him or change him in any way.

Well what are you looking for? These movies are about Bruce. It's not a serial where supporting characters can have entire chapters/episodes/comics devoted to them. For a supporting paternal figure to Bruce we know a lot about Alfred. More than we did in any previous film version of Batman or most paternal figures of protagonists in pretty much any blockbuster I can think of off hand (besides, say The Last Crusade). He's also substantially different in personality to Michael Gough's Alfred and that has been developed as to why very well.

I agree he doesn't have as much characterization as Bruce. But he's a supporting player. People are already complaining we spent too much time with Harvey Dent and/or the Joker in TDK and not enough time with Bruce Wayne. And they were leads. Alfred is supporting.

The way Sir Michael Caine is playing this role is amazing. That face in the trailer. Nothing forced. Just a still heart felt concern for Bruce.
Exactly. He feels very natural in the role. I remember him saying during BB I think, that dialogue is written for him as Alfred, like sir and such, but instead he disregarded that and called Bruce son, for example.

Well what are you looking for? These movies are about Bruce. It's not a serial where supporting characters can have entire chapters/episodes/comics devoted to them. For a supporting paternal figure to Bruce we know a lot about Alfred. More than we did in any previous film version of Batman or most paternal figures of protagonists in pretty much any blockbuster I can think of off hand (besides, say The Last Crusade). He's also substantially different in personality to Michael Gough's Alfred and that has been developed as to why very well.

I agree he doesn't have as much characterization as Bruce. But he's a supporting player. People are already complaining we spent too much time with Harvey Dent and/or the Joker in TDK and not enough time with Bruce Wayne. And they were leads. Alfred is supporting.

And while I'm not a huge fan of Caine's portrayal, this version of Alfred has been very solid, with some very nice moments, and a decent amount of his classic elements. He's been the voice of reason, and made Bruce look at the bigger picture, and related Batman's actions to the larger issues, and helped him to understand where he's at, and that's been nice. But he's also been the same old dutiful Alfred, happy to serve, no particular thoughts on it beyond occassionally being miffed at Bruce for being a pissant. I think people are under the impression that Alfred would need more screentime or large chunks of screentime to evolve as a character. That's not neccessarily the case. He would just need to evolve in the context of his existing scenes, VS staying a fairly static character. Having him do something like quit would be along those lines. It's really the only way his "service"/"assistance" element could involve, it would create a different type of drama and stakes, and give us a new view of Alfred. Maybe cut one of his speeches in half and do something a bit more risky with the character. I dunno. Maybe next time.

Maybe cut one of his speeches in half and do something a bit more risky with the character. I dunno. Maybe next time.

Nevah! We need Alfred's speeches!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"