The Dark Knight Rises The Alfred Pennyworth Thread

Alfred01.jpg

Is this from Bruce Wayne Murderer,ronny?

Not sure, could be. I just really liked the picture and wanted to post it.

Are you guys serious? he's more cockney than Caine I know I take Caine as Alfred any day.

I'll have to go watch some more of Cleese's roles, haven't seen them in awhile. You could be right.

That's one of the reasons I dislike Caine's performance. The Cockney, poor english linguistics kind of ruins it. Great dialouge, great acting, but every time he talks it just kills the scene. Alfred needs class.

"Wattin, tha Baht-Pawd sir? Deh Lamboginnni den. Mush mohr suttle."

I think you're being unfair.
He's not an illiterate thug, and he's perfectly coherent.

I'll have to go watch some more of Cleese's roles, haven't seen them in awhile. You could be right.

That's one of the reasons I dislike Caine's performance. The Cockney, poor english linguistics kind of ruins it. Great dialouge, great acting, but every time he talks it just kills the scene. Alfred needs class.

Class :funny:

I think you're being unfair.
He's not an illiterate thug, and he's perfectly coherent.

Unfair would be me demanding Caine sport a mustache and for him to be thinner. That's not the case here. Writing and acting behind, he sounds ridiculous and uneducated, far from the character of Alfred.

Alfred is high society English, Caines portrayal unfortunately makes him sound like he dwelled in the poorer areas of London as a peasant not a sophisticate, sarcastic, wordy Butler. British Intelligence not navy grunt.

He's also not cynical in the least one of Alfred's must important characteristics. Nothing against Caine he's just not my cup of tea (no pun intnended!).

Last edited:
I think Caine's accent has a lovable charm and wit to it myself, and he sounds plenty intelligent. I'll never understand the absurd bashing of such great things in these movies. :csad:

I'd LOVE to see Alfred the Spy in the next movie, as well as Shotgun Alfred. :applaud Hope Michael catches sight of this thread and talks to Mr. Nolan about it! :up:

He did joked about dress up as Batman in front of Nolan in a interview. It was funny.

Anyway he did beat the man in front of Wayne Manor with golf course in Begins we could see shotgun in B3...

A gun totting Michael Caine...Get Carter was Newcastles only good thing,lol.

I dont think he talks like that, but damn i loled hard! :lmao:

Caine said he uses an accent of a military officer he knows, because he wanted to give Alfred a military background being the badass that he is (Alfred, not Caine). That said, i didnt hear any differences in his accent between Alfred and his role in the Prestige.
Dont get me wrong, Caine is a great casting choice and he brings prestige to the franchise, but i'd like a slimmer actor, with a mustache and a more classy accent.

Last edited:
Man, all this talk has me extra interested in them taking Alfred somewhere new in Batman 3. I honestly hadn't given it any thought at all before this thread. Makes me feel kinda guilty cause I was a big fan of him during TAS.

Thank you guys for reminding me of all the cool unique things about him that they could do in future movies! :woot:

Watching the new trailer, when Alfred is telling Bruce that he won't bury him and that he has buried too many members of the Wayne family... I was immediately reminded of the part in Knightfall where Alfred resigns because of Bruce refusing to let himself heal.

Does anybody else think that perhaps this part of Knightfall was adapted in the story?

I don't know if this part has been adapted, but his line has made me fear for him for some reason.

Watching the new trailer, when Alfred is telling Bruce that he won't bury him and that he has buried too many members of the Wayne family... I was immediately reminded of the part in Knightfall where Alfred resigns because of Bruce refusing to let himself heal.

Does anybody else think that perhaps this part of Knightfall was adapted in the story?

I think it could be, just like in Batman Venom when Alfred sees that Bruce is too far gone, not listening to any advice and continuing on a path of self destruction.

Honestly, I'd rather that he quit rather than him dying. I don't think I can take it. :(

I do wonder WHEN he was making that speech to Bruce. Is it when he was in his crazy depressed state or is it after being back from prison and he's getting ready to take down Bane?

I just want them to do something with Alfred. He's not really developed much as a character at all. Questioning his allegiance to Bruce would at least be something.

Honestly, I'd rather that he quit rather than him dying. I don't think I can take it. :(

I do wonder WHEN he was making that speech to Bruce. Is it when he was in his crazy depressed state or is it after being back from prison and he's getting ready to take down Bane?

I would think it would be the latter. Although maybe it would be the first so they could set it up for him to come back and help Bruce when he returns from being kidnapped.

Could work either way.

Jared Harris should definitely be in the running to play Alfred in about 10 to 15 years IMHO.

Last edited:
Alfred's lines in the trailer, just those 2 lines and they carry so much weight. Even his delivery and the blink of his eyes as he says it. There’s something there that... I can’t really articulate it, but damn, Cain executed that line with emotion and conviction!

I wonder if that’s the tear jerker scene Oldman referred to in an interview.

Alfred's lines in the trailer, just those 2 lines and they carry so much weight. Even his delivery and the blink of his eyes as he says it. There’s something there that... I can’t really articulate it, but damn, Cain executed that line with emotion and conviction!

I wonder if that’s the tear jerker scene Oldman referred to in an interview.

I'm so excited for the Alfred/Bruce scene.

I think that scene we have seen in both trailers is Alfred will be against Bruce going up against Bane a second time. I think Alfred will be´more motivating in the first attempt at being Batman again, "I takes a little while to get back in the swing of things" and then the second time he don't believe in it anymore and is too afraid to lose Bruce.

Ít reminds me a lot of the Mickey and Rocky dynamics in the Rocky-series.

I just want them to do something with Alfred. He's not really developed much as a character at all. Questioning his allegiance to Bruce would at least be something.

Alfred has a ton of characterization and depth in Nolan's movies. Now, he may not have any character arcs, but he's over 70. That's not really the time to be changing courses per se. Still, we saw him as a father figure to Bruce in the first film and standing by him even though he thinks the Bat-crusade is borderline insane and is ruining his father's legacy, convince Bruce not to give in to the Joker and public in TDK, burn Rachel's letter so Bruce will never know she chose Harvey and also just hint that he was a badass many decades ago by casually mentioning that he was doing mercenary work with some mates down in Burma.

It may just be that Michael Caine is playing him but the movies gets almost always better when he is on screen, in my opinion.

Alfred has a ton of characterization and depth in Nolan's movies. Now, he may not have any character arcs, but he's over 70. That's not really the time to be changing courses per se. Still, we saw him as a father figure to Bruce in the first film and standing by him even though he thinks the Bat-crusade is borderline insane and is ruining his father's legacy, convince Bruce not to give in to the Joker and public in TDK, burn Rachel's letter so Bruce will never know she chose Harvey and also just hint that he was a badass many decades ago by casually mentioning that he was doing mercenary work with some mates down in Burma

No, he really has not had a ton of characterization. He's been the same old supporting/concerned/serviceable Alfred he's always been, save for a few mentions of his past. Casually mentioning that you had a previous job/life, and explaining Bruce's legacy to him, while helping him become Batman is not a ton of characterization. He has had more to do than previous Alfreds have, but they really haven't done much to develop him or change him in any way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"