He'll Cancel the Pizzas: The Alfred Pennyworth Thread

Daniel Craig
Colin Firth
Timothy Dalton
Liam Cunningham
Sean Bean

I’m with Boom. I want a hands on Alfred. Sean Pertwee is the best one so far.

Daniel Craig
Colin Firth
Timothy Dalton
Liam Cunningham
Sean Bean

I’m with Boom. I want a hands on Alfred. Sean Pertwee is the best one so far.
So Alfred was 23 when he started to take care of Bruce?

I'll be conservative here. I hope Alfred is just a good ol' butler. Maybe he can do some additional work like assisting Bruce from the Batcave, maybe even occasionally cracking a bottle over some thug's head, but I feel Alfred in BvS was like Fox who relocated into the mansion... Too much.

If Bruce is in his late 20s, then he should look around 60.

Mark Rylance. I want that classic thin, balding, mustachioed Alfred, dammit.
I love classic Alfred too, but this isnt the guy. He’s a good actor but he doesn’t have the likeability that Alfred requires.

So Alfred was 23 when he started to take care of Bruce?
Alfred doesn’t need to be ancient. I think Alfred could believably fall in the 50-65 range if we’re getting a Batman in his 20s. Actually think about it for a second. It only seems unnatural because we’ve never had a Batman under 30 in a movie before.

876500Batman_DarkVictory_09_Page_19.jpg

Alfred doesn’t look old in the top panels, and in the bottom ones he still has black hair.

I'll be conservative here. I hope Alfred is just a good ol' butler. Maybe he can do some additional work like assisting Bruce from the Batcave, maybe even occasionally cracking a bottle over some thug's head, but I feel Alfred in BvS was like Fox who relocated into the mansion... Too much.

If Bruce is in his late 20s, then he should look around 60.

I more or less agree. I don’t mind an Alfred who occasionally gets in on the action, but he should first and foremost be a kind and sprightly older gentleman. I’d cast an actor in his late fifties, early sixties. Just “young” enough to have believably had some military training, but old enough to be a father figure to Bruce.

Alfred doesn’t need to be ancient. I think Alfred could believably fall in the 50-65 range if we’re getting a Batman in his 20s. Actually think about it for a second. It only seems unnatural because we’ve never had a Batman under 30 in a movie before.

876500Batman_DarkVictory_09_Page_19.jpg

Alfred doesn’t look old in the top panels, and in the bottom ones he still has black hair. So yeah I stand by my idea that Alfred doesn’t need to be ****ing 70 to be accurate.
It just seems really odd for a 23 year old to decide to spend his life raising a traumatized child

It just seems really odd for a 23 year old to decide to spend his life raising a traumatized child
Not sure where that math is coming from. Bruce’s parents typically die when he’s 8. Daniel Craig, the youngest guy on my list, is 26 years older than Ansel Elgort (one of the names listed for Batman). That would mean Alfred would be 34 when he decides to raise Bruce. That’s a perfectly fine age difference. Alfred is a father figure to Bruce, he doesn’t needs to be much older than that.

Stephen Fry is not a very good call IMO. I’m familiar with his work and have never gotten an Alfred vibe. He works for an Alfred that’s more in line with his very first appearances though.
alfred0101.jpg

Not sure where that math is coming from. Bruce’s parents typically die when he’s 8. Daniel Craig, the youngest guy on my list, is 26 years older than Ansel Elgort (one of the names listed for Batman). That would mean Alfred would be 34 when he decides to raise Bruce. That’s a perfectly fine age difference. Alfred is a father figure to Bruce, he doesn’t needs to be much older than that.

Stephen Fry is not a very good call IMO. I’m familiar with his work and have never gotten an Alfred vibe. He works for an Alfred that’s more in line with his very first appearances though.
alfred0101.jpg
I just noticed my mistake. That's why I failed math

Daniel Craig as Alfred is so silly. He could still play Batman!

If our Batman is 25-30, Alfred should be around 50-65 imo. Some of these suggestions are too old.

Edit: just realized Dalton is 72... that feels a bit old for a Batman in his 20s, especially if you want an actor to stick around for a trilogy.

Last edited:
If our Batman is 25-30, Alfred should be around 50-65 imo. Some of these suggestions are too old.

Edit: just realized Dalton is 72... that feels a bit old for a Batman in his 20s, especially if you want an actor to stick around for a trilogy.

I don't mind an Alfred in his 60's, but when people keep saying 70's are too old for a trilogy-- Again, Caine was 71 during BB and did a trilogy, Gough was in his early 70's for B'89 and did four movies etc.

I don't mind an Alfred in his 60's, but when people keep saying 70's are too old for a trilogy-- Again, Caine was 71 during BB and did a trilogy, Gough was in his early 70's for B'89 and did four movies etc.
Yeah but there's still the possibility of a 70 year old dying in the mid of a trilogy. That possibility is quite high

It all depends on the actor, I think. Jeremy Irons is 70, but he feels like a very young 70. He's older than Bill Nighy, for example, but at least to me, seems a decade younger.

Last edited:
Bruce is normally 8 when his parents are killed. I figure that Alfred is at most 20 years older than him, especially if we're accepting he was also a bodyguard/ex-special ops. So depending on how old Bruce is, Alfred should be somewhere in his 50s or 60s, at least look in that range. I think Sean Bean is an excellent suggestion. Kenneth Branagh would also be great.

da3262731295e662c89883bd0346f25d--kenneth-branagh-olivier.jpg

I more or less agree. I don’t mind an Alfred who occasionally gets in on the action, but he should first and foremost be a kind and sprightly older gentleman. I’d cast an actor in his late fifties, early sixties. Just “young” enough to have believably had some military training, but old enough to be a father figure to Bruce.
I agree, i would like Alfred hired as a Butler/PA for the Waynes, Thomas wanted a man around the house for when he wasn't and Alfred indeed has security/arms experience but isn't a vet like Irons seemed to give off.

Someone like Nicholas Lyndhurst or Simon Callow

alfred 1.jpg

Palin, holy crap, I actually love that. :up:

Can't see him doing it, but wow, that'd be perfect. Was almost going to suggest Cleese, but he's a little too "always Cleese". Guess he played a serious part in that The Day The Earth Stood Still remake, but it was pretty damn minor. Unlike Palin though, I'd have a hard time seeing him outside of Basil Fawlty or the Python stuff, he's so iconic, but Palin's an awesome thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"