His name is Logan?

Flash-er

Civilian
Reaction score
Why did they start calling him this in the Origins movie? I know why/how he got the name in the comics, but I've seen the movie three times now and it seems like they just start calling him Logan out of the blue with no reason why. Did I miss it? Anyone have an answer?

Unfortunately it was never explained in the movie. In the end credits, his 'real' father is listed as Thomas Logan, so you can presume from there he took the name after his father. But it would have been nice if there had been explanation for it in the movie.

Okay then... assuming that the father you refer to is the same one as Victor's (and since his "adopted" fater's name was Howlett) why is Sabertooth's name Victor CREED? I don't know much about him from the comics, but if he has both first and last name, then wouldn't his father's last name be Creed also? Or he just took it for giggles..?

Maybe Victor was named after his mother. :p

How do the comics explain it? I can't remember....

How do the comics explain it? I can't remember....

Thomas Logan was the name of the groundskeeper at the Howlett Estate. He was the father of Dog ( possibly Victor/Sabretooth ), and may or may not have been the father of James ( Wolverine ). It was implied Thomas had a previous affair/relationship with James' mother.

After Thomas Logan killed James' father, James manisfested his powers for the first time and attacked and killed Thomas with his claws ( much like in the movie ). James and Rose ( who was brought to the estate to be his companion ) ran away, with Rose watching out for James, much like Victor did in the movie.

When Rose and James made their way to a mining camp to look for a place to live and work, the camp foreman asked who James was. Since James was still traumatized and wasn't speaking, Rose made up the story that James was her cousin. When asked for his name, Rose panicked and said "Logan" to conceal James' true identity. Henceforth, James became known as Logan to the public. Only Rose ( and Dog ) knew his real name was James and called him that in private.

Last edited:
:( wish we had Rose in the film, a nice scene of a teenage Wolverine on the run.

Also would be better to see him age better than ... child to 30-40year old in one cut.

Would also tie into the fact of "any girl Wolverine is with dies" that they all refer too.

I didn't mind Rose not being in the film, since it was more about the brother story between Logan and Victor. I just wish they'd had more scenes together, and expanded on the war stuff from the beginning.

I do wish they would have explained the name change.

As a knowledgeable fan of the comics, I obviously know how he goes from being James / Jimmy to Logan. But those who aren't in the know probably got confused.

I babysat my nephew while my sister and brother-in-law saw the movie on opening weekend. When they came home, my sister said "It was awesome...but why did they call him Logan?" :huh:

I think its a simple reason that really doesn't need explanation, sometimes people just want to be told everything.

Not necessarily. I think it could have used a very brief explanation. I guess that was a minor detail they forgot to add.

Thomas Logan was the name of the groundskeeper at the Howlett Estate. He was the father of Dog ( possibly Victor/Sabretooth ), and may or may not have been the father of James ( Wolverine ). It was implied Thomas had a previous affair/relationship with James' mother.

After Thomas Logan killed James' father, James manisfested his powers for the first time and attacked and killed Thomas with his claws ( much like in the movie ). James and Rose ( who was brought to the estate to be his companion ) ran away, with Rose watching out for James, much like Victor did in the movie.

When Rose and James made their way to a mining camp to look for a place to live and work, the camp foreman asked who James was. Since James was still traumatized and wasn't speaking, Rose made up the story that James was her cousin. When asked for his name, Rose panicked and said "Logan" to conceal James' true identity. Henceforth, James became known as Logan to the public. Only Rose ( and Dog ) knew his real name was James and called him that in private.

Thanks for that, i had a vague recollection of it.

I'm trying to remember when in the film he was first called Logan.

I assumed he took a new name after going on the run from killing his true father. But I don't know of anyone (normal viewers of the film) who questioned the name or found it an issue.

I believe the first scene when he was called Logan was on the plane on the way to Africa. They could almost get away with it maybe being just his last name, since that wasn't established in the origin scene and Victor just calls him 'Jimmy', but later on Kayla calls him "Logan" and why would she be calling him by his last name?

My sister had asked about it afterwards, and I just said it had been his father's name and that seemed to clear it up for her. She liked the movie fine. :up:

I believe the first scene when he was called Logan was on the plane on the way to Africa. They could almost get away with it maybe being just his last name, since that wasn't established in the origin scene and Victor just calls him 'Jimmy', but later on Kayla calls him "Logan" and why would she be calling him by his last name?

Hmmm...yes, I agree it's a discrepancy that should have been explained. I'm assuming he took the name Logan after running away from home, but that Victor continued to call him Jimmy.

My sister had asked about it afterwards, and I just said it had been his father's name and that seemed to clear it up for her. She liked the movie fine. :up:

I remember wondering about the Logan name when i watched it but my other half and friends and work colleagues never raised the issue. Still, it would have been better if it were addressed. It's probably just one of those things that slipped through the net during editing of the script or the movie itself. A bit like Callisto's name never being used in X3.

I always thought his name was John Logan. I may have read it somewhere or whatever, but that name has always been stuck in my head.

I always thought his name was John Logan. I may have read it somewhere or whatever, but that name has always been stuck in my head.

John Howlett was his father's name (the father who raised him), and there was a John Jr too, but he supposedly died just after James was born.

There was a comic called "The End" that explained that John Jr was alive and was sent to a mental institution after he slashed his mother with his own claws after catching her messing around with Thomas Logan. Apparently that story isn't considered canon, though.

In "Origin" there's a scene where claw scars are visible on her back, and when she sees James/Logan with the claws her first reaction was "Not you, too." Where the first scars came from, who knows??

I noticed watching the movie again that she was holding Thomas Logan's shotgun as James/Logan bolts from the house. I'm assuming she used it on herself afterwards like she did in the comic (something else I wish they'd kept in).

I'll have to watch it again. A coworker said that maybe he took the name after leaving Stryker's group, as a way to ditch his past, but if they called him Logan on the plane, then that doesn't work either. I think the easiest explaination is like the one guy said. It's one of the details that slipped through the cracks (although it still doesn't excuse it considering how huge the budget was).

Okay then... assuming that the father you refer to is the same one as Victor's (and since his "adopted" fater's name was Howlett) why is Sabertooth's name Victor CREED? I don't know much about him from the comics, but if he has both first and last name, then wouldn't his father's last name be Creed also? Or he just took it for giggles..?
In the comics, they've pretty much said that Dog is NOT Sabretooth, and so they are not half brothers at all. In the Lupine arc of Wolverine, Logan outright says they are not a blood relation so it was made pretty clear. The movie takes a different path, one that I think was the better way to go. I prefer Logan and Sabes to be a close relation. In the Lupine arc, it was suggested that the pair belong to a separate, feral mutation, almost as though they are not even human, but a separate race. Jeph Loeb tends to get a little carried away like that and I am not sure that I think it was wise.

In the Lupine arc, it was suggested that the pair belong to a separate, feral mutation, almost as though they are not even human, but a separate race. Jeph Loeb tends to get a little carried away like that and I am not sure that I think it was wise.

Yes, I wasn't sure about that either. Strayed too far beyond the established canon to make him another species.

I wasn't crazy about that Lupine arc either, and I much prefered the idea used in the movie that they were half-brothers. It humanized them a bit more and made it a lot more relatable than having them be, like squeekness said, practically a whole other species.

What will be interesting now, assuming Liev returns in the sequel, is how he reacts to Logan not remembering him. Going by his reaction to Logan losing his memory on the deleted scene on the DVD, it was not something he wanted to have happen to him.

Some people do that, I have a couple of friends who call me by my last name -- one even calls her daughter by her last name.

Watching the movie, I just assumed that he'd taken the name "James Logan" and Victor used his first name from habit. I found it kind of cute, and it emphasized the brother bond between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"