Horizon Horizon: Zero Dawn

I completed my first cauldron. I've been doing many sidequests but I suck at the hunting grounds. Think I ought to change my bow for that now that I think about it.
Yeah you'll need better weapons for a lot of the hunting ground trials. Once you get to Meridian most of the merchants will have the higher level stuff.

my coworker just got Me4 so he's lettin me borrow his copy of this game...

Beat the game tonight. 90% completion (well above my average rate for games). About 73 hours. I loved every second of it and was sad to see it end but there's a mid credits scene that teases at the future of the game some. I'm looking forward to the expansion!

i'm gonna try playing this again tonight honestly i'm not feelin it though. might not be the type of game for me

After playing for 9 hours here are some complaints:

Combat is a chore. Maybe I just haven't found a rhythm yet, but 9 hours in I should really have this down to a system and it's just not clicking with me.

The lack of sensible melee weapons. Only one starter spear and no upgrades for it. Really? No hammers, axes, swords etc. I see others carrying different types of melee weapons, but I'm stuck with this spear. Not cool.

The limited variety of weapons in general is disappointing for such a large game. And I've yet to find a bow or any weapon that's truly satisfying most feel weak as dishwater. I have the Shadow Hunter Bow, the Carja Sharpshot Bow, Carja Sling, Carja Blast Sling, Carja Ropecaster, Carja Rattler.

And I especially despise that this game's "money" (shards) is a necessary crafting component. It makes it damn hard to save up money if I have to use it for even mundane tasks such as ammo crafting. Whichever developer had that idea needs to be smacked and made to think about his mistake. :argh:

I feel like the different machine grazing areas could be more constant and distinct. Similar to the way Far Cry 4 handles it. Also, hunting regular animals could be better.

The merchants could do with some improving too. There needs to be a merchant that sells animal meats and resources.

Last edited:
After playing for 9 hours here are some complaints:

Combat is a chore. Maybe I just haven't found a rhythm yet, but 9 hours in I should really have this down to a system and it's just not clicking with me.

The lack of sensible melee weapons. Only one starter spear and no upgrades for it. Really? No hammers, axes, swords etc. I see others carrying different types of melee weapons, but I'm stuck with this spear. Not cool.

The limited variety of weapons in general is disappointing for such a large game. And I've yet to find a bow or any weapon that's truly satisfying most feel weak as dishwater. I have the Shadow Hunter Bow, the Carja Sharpshot Bow, Carja Sling, Carja Blast Sling, Carja Ropecaster, Carja Rattler.

And I especially despise that this game's "money" (shards) is a necessary crafting component. It makes it damn hard to save up money if I have to use it for even mundane tasks such as ammo crafting. Whichever developer had that idea needs to be smacked and made to think about his mistake. :argh:

I feel like the different machine grazing areas could be more constant and distinct. Similar to the way Far Cry 4 handles it. Also, hunting regular animals could be better.

The merchants could do with some improving too. There needs to be a merchant that sells animal meats and resources.

Go to Meridian. There are merchants who sell specific things (animal parts, machine parts, etc). Once you leave the first area, you'll quickly find opportunities to get a large amount of shards where you're not concerned with how you spend them.

As for the other stuff, I loved the combat (you versus robots). The key is knowing what weakness each robot has and exploiting them. These weakness are both what type of weapon you use and any elemental damage, and what weak spots to shoot at. The combat isn't like other games, really. You can go in and just bash and bash, but its far more rewarding to be tactical with it. Figuring out your own style to accommodate these thoughts is where the combat shines; aside from the weaker enemies, if you're not cycling though weapons during a fight, you're just making things hard (and boring) for yourself.

Upgrade your weapons as well. You can get some pretty great upgrades.

Human combat is definitely the weaker aspect, but the same rules apply. And some weapons do unexpected things against the humans. Experiment.

The spear is important to the game, so I can see why they don't let you swap it out. Still, you can upgrade it's attack damage in the character screen.

Last edited:
Maybe some of yall already knew this, but I just found out. According to the guide book the more times you kill a robot the more armored they become. As if the sysetm that produces the machines is learning from you killing them and responding by making them stronger. The guide tells you how many times you have to kill each type of machine to max out its armor. If you want to make the end battle of the game easier kill the robots featured in the final battle as little as possible throughout the game

I didnt realize this on my first playthrough. But I did notice that the last Thunderjaw that I killed was a complete ***** to drop. Even with the disk launcher and tear amunition the damn thing took a long time to die.

I finally finished this great game. And I also got the Platinum trophy in a single playthrough. Now I can fully dedicate my life to Persona 5 lol.

I'm over half way through it. I got distracted by finally finishing Final Fantasy XV and its optional post-game content and some novels for a while but I'm back at it.

What do yall think of the after credits scene?

What do yall think of the after credits scene?

Looks like they're setting him up to be the villain in the next game (or maybe the expansion?). I'm cool with it. He's an interesting character and it looks like it's a good way to expand the mythos as well.
Definitely looking forward to the sequel.

PlayStation Blog - New Horizon Zero Dawn Photo mode update rolls out next week

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...o-dawn-photo-mode-update-rolls-out-next-week/

Horizon: Zero Dawn 1.20 patch notes

Feature Improvements:
Added the option to hide Aloy inside settlements while in photo mode.
Added a sell stack option at merchants when double tapping the square icon.
Added filters and a legend to the in game map and the quest map.
Added several new custom HUD options.
Added an additional blue health bar on top of the player’s health bar whenever the Shield Weaver Armor is equipped to indicate the amount of extra health points the armor is providing.
Added difficulty setting components to the Shield Weaver Armor’s damage protection. On hard mode the armor received a 40% armor reduction, on very hard the armor received a 66.6% reduction.
Added the option to hide headgear for Aloy.
Added the option to categorize and sort your inventory.
Added the feature in the Sell menu at merchants, you can now press triangle to mark one or more items to sell items quicker.
Added gameplay time to the statistics menu.
Changed the timing of some tutorials that were repeatedly displayed, they are now less frequent.
Added the option to control the x and y axis sensitivity of the camera.
Added Spanish language support for North American copies of the game. Spanish subtitles can now be enabled. Spanish audio supported via a Spanish VO pack.

Improved photo mode with new features:
Added poses for Aloy
Added facial expressions for Aloy
Added three new filters
Added a “look at the camera” mode for Aloy
Added “greetings from” cards
Improved the camera controls

Added categories in the crafting menu:
Green check mark for categories that are finished
White icon for categories that have recipes that can be crafted
Grey icon for categories that have no recipes that can be crafted

http://www.vg247.com/2017/05/03/hor...tures-new-hud-options-progression-fixes-more/

I cut out (but didn't read) the spoilery bits which are outside of the feature changes sections.

Last edited:
Just bought this, should be here tomorrow. Excited to finally get a chance to play it.

Just bought this, should be here tomorrow. Excited to finally get a chance to play it.

It's a lot of fun Darth, hope you enjoy it. I definitely am. Been so busy working lately though I gotta dive back into it soon.

I finally beat Horizon after playing it for 70+ hours. Good game with a good story. Guerilla did good though I think it is a bit overrated after playing it. I still think Uncharted 4 is the best first party game on the PS4 though this is a vast improvement over Killzone

I wasnt a fan of the combat at first but it got easier and more manageable as your progressed, unlocked skills and got new weapons. As an "RPG", I was disappointing with the lack of options when it came to dialogue and affecting outcomes. There wasnt much of that and they primarily didnt matter. There also wasnt as much customization as I was looking forward too

I was wondering if all the people complaining about the trials trophy went straight for it early on bc I did them at towards the end and found them all ridiculously easy. I beat most on first or second try with the Shell walkers one being the only one that was challenging. I dont tend to go for platinums much anymore but will for this since it seems its primarily collectibles I have left, so its attainable.

I hope the DLC is standalone bc I think Im gonna trade this in once Im done with it. Its time for me to move on to an older game sitting on my shelf. Either Mass Effect or FFXV

Here's hoping Guerilla announce that they're working on HZD 2 at E3 in the form of a quick tease.

Love this game to death.

Here's hoping Guerilla announce that they're working on HZD 2 at E3 in the form of a quick tease.

Love this game to death.

Not happening. They already announced a story expansion. They arent going to announce a sequel before that as E3 will likely be our first look at the DLC. The game literally just came out almost 2 months ago. Its WAY too early to announce a sequel and people really shouldnt expect another for the duration of the PS4s' life cycle

Glad to hear bro.
Thanks man. :woot:

There are little weird thinks like some of the odd conversation work that reminds me a bit of Bioware, and the hand to hand combat is pretty weak. But I love this as a package. It is a lot like Tomb Raider, with different packaging, but that packaging is different enough that it does not bother me a bit. I finished the Proving last night, and I am a big fan of Aloy and the story so far.

Not happening. They already announced a story expansion. They arent going to announce a sequel before that as E3 will likely be our first look at the DLC. The game literally just came out almost 2 months ago. Its WAY too early to announce a sequel and people really shouldnt expect another for the duration of the PS4s' life cycle

Next E3 then, i just need more Aloy :hmr:

Thanks man. :woot:

There are little weird thinks like some of the odd conversation work that reminds me a bit of Bioware, and the hand to hand combat is pretty weak. But I love this as a package. It is a lot like Tomb Raider, with different packaging, but that packaging is different enough that it does not bother me a bit. I finished the Proving last night, and I am a big fan of Aloy and the story so far.

Aloy is awesome, I really dig her character. Ahh the Proving so you're pretty early on still.

Aloy is awesome, I really dig her character. Ahh the Proving so you're pretty early on still.
I am now headed to Meridian. Though it sounds pretty early, I have put in like 20 hours. Can't stop doing the side missions and the collectibles. :funny:

I am now headed to Meridian. Though it sounds pretty early, I have put in like 20 hours. Can't stop doing the side missions and the collectibles. :funny:

Meridian is beautiful. Yeah same exact thing happened to me, would start a main mission and get completely side tracked for hours. Side missions, collectibles, upgrading my skills and weapons etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"