Horizon Horizon: Zero Dawn

That's an attach rate of about 1 copy of Horizon sold for every 9 PS4s that have been sold. Granted, some console sales are the same person buying the console twice (like buying an original PS4 and moving over to and buying the Pro model), but it's still great for a new wholly original title.

Spider-Man PS4 was at about 9M copies (1:10 attach ratio) last I checked.

I wish I knew where unit sales of God of War PS4 is at now.

The latter two haven't been available as long as Horizon has nor are they new and wholly original titles.

That's an attach rate of about 1 copy of Horizon sold for every 9 PS4s that have been sold. Granted, some console sales are the same person buying the console twice (like buying an original PS4 and moving over to and buying the Pro model), but it's still great for a new wholly original title.

Spider-Man PS4 was at about 9M copies (1:10 attach ratio) last I checked.

I wish I knew where unit sales of God of War PS4 is at now.

The latter two haven't been available as long as Horizon has nor are they new and wholly original titles.

It was one of those games where I sort of looked at it went "Hmm that could be cool" and then totally forgot about it.

Eventually bought it in late 2018 and had hours and hours of fun. Definitely one of the most beautiful settings and most fun open worlds to run around in. Made the mistake of giving my buddy a shot before I finished the Frozen Wilds DLC so im always getting on at him to hurry up and finish the story:funny:

I finally started playing this, this was in my list to buy since last year. But other games/franchises buried this and I only started to playing this last Sunday. And now I've got to play it, I feel like I crossed something wayoverdue in my list.

So after 1 week... I'm already at 30% completion. The story, I finally crossed the border/the wall. To be honest, the story of this is quite good. The graphics, i don't know if its one of the best, I feel like open world games with a night/day cycle like this, only tend to look great with the right lighting. And when it rains or theres a sand storm, I don't really find the visuals pretty. And the weather here drastically changes in a second. Like it gets dark and rainy 1 second after a sunny afternoon. Its a bit distracting. Also Ive seen 70% of the map and the only locations that wowed me are those rocky mountains with the lake down below, and in the jungle where you can see fog above the ground/trees. I wish there are more stunning views, well I haven't seen the north west but who knows. Most of the outdoor locations, just fall into three to four categories: forest, forest with snow, rocky mountain and the jungle. The remnants of the human's stuff looked kind ugly and I felt like the game lacked wow factor when it came to the setting because 90% of the location Ive seen are just mother nature , 8% of the present day human's places and 2% metal remnants. I've entered two to three of those bunkers/cauldrons and I just feel claustrophobic in those areas and I prefer to be in open areas. And compare this to my experience to the locations in Ac Odyssey for example. Its not close. Though the cut scenes/dialogues scenes of Horizon look more photo realistic than Odyssey. However, I really like the main story of this. Its definitely one of those games with a great story similar, to other ps4 exclusives like God of War 2018/Last of Us and I guess Spider Man 2018 as well.

The gameplay, I was kinda expecting something like God of War, but this one reminded me more of Assassin's Creed and Shadow of the Colossus. The animals/rebels attacking me again and again and taking down camps are very Ac Origins/Odyssey to me. Also those eye thingies reminded me of viewpoints in Ac. Some areas are locked in certain parts of the game but there's so much freedom in this. And getting the materials for crafting and to buy stuff can be repetitive but most of the materials are quite to easy to find. i also didn't expect this to have so much stealth and dialogue choosing and those things just reminded me once again of Ac Odyssey. The collectibles here are surprisingly low which is fine to me but I can't believe I already found at 3/4 of them. I also like that I can use the fast travel in the middle of trouble. Because I'm trying to visit all the locations/icons in the map right now and finding the collectibles, and there's no way I could kill everyone in level 19 and the fast travel is just a big help and time/life saver. Those gigantic birds terrify me! And aloy can't take a fall at all! And I always have to repeat stuff when she fell to something that it wasnt even that high!

Over all I'm enjoying it just not blown away. I hope the main game would take me 3 weeks or longer, I'm planning to take my timeonce I've visitedall the icons in the map. And I heard Frozen Wilds is quite long though thelocation for it look small.

Last edited:
It's been almost a year and half and I haven't finished it yet. I keep meaning to get back to it. I really liked this game but getting back to it I have been distracted.

Personally I think this is one of the prettiest games of the generation with one of the best designed worlds of the generation.

Its in my top ten (not in order) of the ones I've played with the best graphics
-Gta v (I haven't played this in a long time, excluding the cutscenes, the environment looks great)
-Assassins Creed Odyssey (Origins' graphics didn't age well to me, it was just weird/shocking to me how it looks inferior compare to Odyssey, when I put it on months after I've finished it)
-Uncharted 4 (this is my 1st ps4 game and 2 years later, I can still remember how great it looks)
-Resident Evil 2 (re6 looks great as well in ps4)
-Assassin's Creed Syndicate
-Assassin's Creed Unity
-Spider-Man
-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Watch Dogs 2 or God of War 2018 (my issue with God of War 2018, despite having the better design, is the grainy texture/look, even when I adjusted it settings, it still bothered me)
-Batman Arkham Knight

But its not near in the top of my list. I'm playing Detroit Becoming Human and Red Dead Redemption 2 very soon and I expect to be in the top ten as well

This game took me a while to get into, but once it got rolling I really enjoyed it. Some of the writing and acting is downright subpar, though.

I'm 70% done with the game (I'm saving the dlc for next week). The main storyline is surprisingly short as I've been checking radbrad's walkthrough to see how long the main story is and I'm like only 2 hours away from finishing the main story. And the only really difficult mission so far is the one in which I had to destroy the tanker for like 15 minutes that I switched to easy mode and it was still hard. While I only have 2 errands and 4 side missions left. I don't know if I would do the trials, thats the one part I haven't tried, while I'm saving the 3 cauldrons before I head to the new location (Frozen Winds).

Then the special armor, it just seems like a choir to get all the pieces after seeing it on YouTube, so I'm not getting it. Even if Aloy becomes unkillable with it.

I'm 70% done with the game (I'm saving the dlc for next week). The main storyline is surprisingly short as I've been checking radbrad's walkthrough to see how long the main story is and I'm like only 2 hours away from finishing the main story. And the only really difficult mission so far is the one in which I had to destroy the tanker for like 15 minutes that I switched to easy mode and it was still hard. While I only have 2 errands and 4 side missions left. I don't know if I would do the trials, thats the one part I haven't tried, while I'm saving the 3 cauldrons before I head to the new location (Frozen Winds).

Then the special armor, it just seems like a choir to get all the pieces after seeing it on YouTube, so I'm not getting it. Even if Aloy becomes unkillable with it.

If you do the hunting trials you get special hunt versions of weapons from the lodge that have better stats and more modifications slots.

The special armor is worth the trouble if you're planning to do New Game Plus. Its recharging shield is great.

My long review, I finished the game like 3 to 4 weeks ago, but I'm just posting my whole review right now mostly for self reference:
Originally I said the graphics didn't wow me. But I was referring to the look of the locations rather than its photorealistic quality. The game has great graphics (I played this in ps4 pro). But the forest and snowy grounds, I felt like I've seen them in other videogames so when it comes to the look of the locations, I wasn't wowed. However, the rocky mountains look really great. The view from the top of a mountain where you can see the lake and the rocky mountain from afar looks really nice. The conversation cutscenes look really good. Like compare to Ac Odyssey's conversation cutscenes (the ones in which you can select a dialogue), Horizon looks prettier and smoother. Also the fashion of this game is unique. The outfits and the headpieces. I like that most of the npcs look really well designed and they all look different. I also like Aloy's dozens of looks. A fashionable outcast!

I'm mixed with the combat here. I enjoy doing stealth and shooting down the flying birds but I feel Aloy lacked in melee attacks. Her spear attack lacks in range. Then the other weapons and many arrows. I was heavily dependent in fire arrows. I don't think the corrupted arrows helped me at all as I didn't really use it. I sometimes used the freeze and shock arrows but I didn't need them all the time unlike the normal arrows and fire arrows. The other weapons were there for variety which is nice but I always ended up using two types of arrows. Some of the skills which needed level up points to acquire, were also useless and just extraneous as I didn't need them.

Weirdly, my favorite activity here is the bandit camps. Taking down the machines is thrilling as well but when I'm running and dodging again and again and trying to hit its weakness, the camera gets too shaky and things get chaotic that I can't target/attack the enemy as soon as I want to. The corrupted locations were nice as they were the shortest. The hardest corrupted location for me is the one with the two rockbreakers. I died there multiple times and I came back to it when I was like level 48 and I finished it in 1 try. But Thunderjaw, Snowbird and Behemoth were much easier compare to it and I don't think those three killed me in any side quests. I totally skipped the trials. I only finished three trials just to progress a hunters lodge side quest and one of those three trials, I couldn't even get 100%, as I couldn't hit 10 cannisters in 90 seconds especially when those machines kept running away. If the first trial is already hard, I wonder how frustrating the rest are. The cauldrons for me were tedious, well the first two. But I liked the third one with human enemies and the last one was surprisingly short. I wish there were more of those giraffe machines and viewpoints. The collectibles, I liked that they weren't too many especially some of those were quite challenging to find and get.

The side quests/errands: some of these were quite long and I felt like if all or majority of those missions were part of the main story, the game would have felt longer to me and not short. I like that many of the NPCs from those side quests ended up helping Aloy in the final main mission. And I wish I didn't kill the guy who introduced Aloy of hunting down the bandit camps. I regret the decision of killing him especially he was one of the first few npcs I've encountered.

The main story was nice, though the ending wasn't as strong as the first half of the story. To me, it was kinda odd how the older lady was exaggerating that the life outside of their border is so dangerous and hopeless. The machines are dangerous but there are so many people outside of their border/wall, and life out there wasn't so harsh and toxic as she was saying. I'm not exactly a fan of the story of the ancient people/Aloy's mum, I feel like majority of the main story spent too much in that and I wish they didn't dwelve so much in discovering what happened in the past and focused more in the present days. I also didn't really enjoy exploring those bunkers. Like I wish the game focused more on the politics of the different regions out there than Aloy trying to discover what happened in the past. Thats why sometimes, I felt like the side quests were more engaging.

My other criticisms to the game: since I visited the icons in the map very early. Aloy can't take a fall which was kinda annoying, so I was quite conscious of where I was heading and I didn't want to lose the stuff I recently got. Second, the parkour here is limited. Unlike God of War, Aloy can jump but she can't grab onto all ledges and sometimes it looks really odd that if you want to climb something, she has to jump again and again instead of just climb the thing using her hands. Third, I was always dropping things off or I'm using the fast travel to sell my stuff to the merchant. I wish the inventory had more space and I already got the max upgrade for the inventory. Especially some of the things like animal parts/human things were going to be used to get things from the Frozen Wilds' merchants.

And lastly, this isn't really a big criticism since I like that the game is like a greatest hits to open world games. The only thing missing in my opinion, in terms of its openworldness is the ability to use a boat. But I don't think there's a feature in this game, that I hadnt seen before in an open world videogame. To me, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, GTA and God of War were more original in terms of gameplay. Also it really reminded me of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Colossus and surprisingly Watch Dogs when I started hacking/overriding the machines for my advantage. I didn't use the machines that much as a mount or to help me in battle. I feel like they need to make the override feature more accessible/better in the sequel as I rarely used those features. The enemies detect me easier when I'm riding a mount and the mount doesn't run very fast. I always need to be careful and stealthy when I want to override something especially the bigger machines and I always find it time consuming. I also couldn't use all the machines as a mount. Also it would have been so cool if multiple overriden machines just follow me around when I'm walking and they act as a bodyguard.

The Frozen Wilds:
I've started this when I finished the main story but I went back and forth into this and the leftovers from the previous locations for a couple of days. Even though the location for this doesn't look different to the previous locations, I think in a way this looks prettier. I like seeing the auroras, the ice lamps, geysers, the icy lakes, the colorful ponds. I liked that this region has animals/machines/collectibles that aren't available in the previous locations. The merchants who were buying collectibles have their own locations. I don't mind that the region was kinda small as I spent days visiting every icon in the region and for a dlc or an extension of the game, it was kinda long as they were plenty of new things to do - that it made the game/map feel bigger. Though the nighttime in this region is kinda heavy in the eyes as it gets so dark and the snow never stops. I also wish they had something like Meridian in this region instead of just campers and people living in tents.

Over-all, I got 92% in the original game then 80 something in Frozen Wilds. I also got 3/4 of the trophies. I think I prefer this over God of War (even though that one has better story/combat), as there's so much freedom in the game and I enjoyed the customization here. This is a great game but there's still a lot that they can improve and hopefully, I'd see those improvements in the sequels.

If you do the hunting trials you get special hunt versions of weapons from the lodge that have better stats and more modifications slots.

The special armor is worth the trouble if you're planning to do New Game Plus. Its recharging shield is great.
Ive moved on to Detroit Become Human after I finished the main story of Frozen Wilds and so far, I haven't played any game in New Game Plus mode.

Last edited:
I still need to play this game. I bought the Ultimate Edition during Black Friday for $10, and I haven't played it yet.

Maybe I'll start that this weekend? I've had the game for almost a year now. :hehe:

My long review, I finished the game like 3 to 4 weeks ago, but I'm just posting my whole review right now mostly for self reference:
Originally I said the graphics didn't wow me. But I was referring to the look of the locations rather than its photorealistic quality. The game has great graphics (I played this in ps4 pro). But the forest and snowy grounds, I felt like I've seen them in other videogames so when it comes to the look of the locations, I wasn't wowed. However, the rocky mountains look really great. The view from the top of a mountain where you can see the lake and the rocky mountain from afar looks really nice. The conversation cutscenes look really good. Like compare to Ac Odyssey's conversation cutscenes (the ones in which you can select a dialogue), Horizon looks prettier and smoother. Also the fashion of this game is unique. The outfits and the headpieces. I like that most of the npcs look really well designed and they all look different. I also like Aloy's dozens of looks. A fashionable outcast!

I'm mixed with the combat here. I enjoy doing stealth and shooting down the flying birds but I feel Aloy lacked in melee attacks. Her spear attack lacks in range. Then the other weapons and many arrows. I was heavily dependent in fire arrows. I don't think the corrupted arrows helped me at all as I didn't really use it. I sometimes used the freeze and shock arrows but I didn't need them all the time unlike the normal arrows and fire arrows. The other weapons were there for variety which is nice but I always ended up using two types of arrows. Some of the skills which needed level up points to acquire, were also useless and just extraneous as I didn't need them.

Weirdly, my favorite activity here is the bandit camps. Taking down the machines is thrilling as well but when I'm running and dodging again and again and trying to hit its weakness, the camera gets too shaky and things get chaotic that I can't target/attack the enemy as soon as I want to. The corrupted locations were nice as they were the shortest. The hardest corrupted location for me is the one with the two rockbreakers. I died there multiple times and I came back to it when I was like level 48 and I finished it in 1 try. But Thunderjaw, Snowbird and Behemoth were much easier compare to it and I don't think those three killed me in any side quests. I totally skipped the trials. I only finished three trials just to progress a hunters lodge side quest and one of those three trials, I couldn't even get 100%, as I couldn't hit 10 cannisters in 90 seconds especially when those machines kept running away. If the first trial is already hard, I wonder how frustrating the rest are. The cauldrons for me were tedious, well the first two. But I liked the third one with human enemies and the last one was surprisingly short. I wish there were more of those giraffe machines and viewpoints. The collectibles, I liked that they weren't too many especially some of those were quite challenging to find and get.

The side quests/errands: some of these were quite long and I felt like if all or majority of those missions were part of the main story, the game would have felt longer to me and not short. I like that many of the NPCs from those side quests ended up helping Aloy in the final main mission. And I wish I didn't kill the guy who introduced Aloy of hunting down the bandit camps. I regret the decision of killing him especially he was one of the first few npcs I've encountered.

The main story was nice, though the ending wasn't as strong as the first half of the story. To me, it was kinda odd how the older lady was exaggerating that the life outside of their border is so dangerous and hopeless. The machines are dangerous but there are so many people outside of their border/wall, and life out there wasn't so harsh and toxic as she was saying. I'm not exactly a fan of the story of the ancient people/Aloy's mum, I feel like majority of the main story spent too much in that and I wish they didn't dwelve so much in discovering what happened in the past and focused more in the present days. I also didn't really enjoy exploring those bunkers. Like I wish the game focused more on the politics of the different regions out there than Aloy trying to discover what happened in the past. Thats why sometimes, I felt like the side quests were more engaging.

My other criticisms to the game: since I visited the icons in the map very early. Aloy can't take a fall which was kinda annoying, so I was quite conscious of where I was heading and I didn't want to lose the stuff I recently got. Second, the parkour here is limited. Unlike God of War, Aloy can jump but she can't grab onto all ledges and sometimes it looks really odd that if you want to climb something, she has to jump again and again instead of just climb the thing using her hands. Third, I was always dropping things off or I'm using the fast travel to sell my stuff to the merchant. I wish the inventory had more space and I already got the max upgrade for the inventory. Especially some of the things like animal parts/human things were going to be used to get things from the Frozen Wilds' merchants.

And lastly, this isn't really a big criticism since I like that the game is like a greatest hits to open world games. The only thing missing in my opinion, in terms of its openworldness is the ability to use a boat. But I don't think there's a feature in this game, that I hadnt seen before in an open world videogame. To me, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, GTA and God of War were more original in terms of gameplay. Also it really reminded me of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Colossus and surprisingly Watch Dogs when I started hacking/overriding the machines for my advantage. I didn't use the machines that much as a mount or to help me in battle. I feel like they need to make the override feature more accessible/better in the sequel as I rarely used those features. The enemies detect me easier when I'm riding a mount and the mount doesn't run very fast. I always need to be careful and stealthy when I want to override something especially the bigger machines and I always find it time consuming. I also couldn't use all the machines as a mount. Also it would have been so cool if multiple overriden machines just follow me around when I'm walking and they act as a bodyguard.

The Frozen Wilds:
I've started this when I finished the main story but I went back and forth into this and the leftovers from the previous locations for a couple of days. Even though the location for this doesn't look different to the previous locations, I think in a way this looks prettier. I like seeing the auroras, the ice lamps, geysers, the icy lakes, the colorful ponds. I liked that this region has animals/machines/collectibles that aren't available in the previous locations. The merchants who were buying collectibles have their own locations. I don't mind that the region was kinda small as I spent days visiting every icon in the region and for a dlc or an extension of the game, it was kinda long as they were plenty of new things to do - that it made the game/map feel bigger. Though the nighttime in this region is kinda heavy in the eyes as it gets so dark and the snow never stops. I also wish they had something like Meridian in this region instead of just campers and people living in tents.

Over-all, I got 92% in the original game then 80 something in Frozen Wilds. I also got 3/4 of the trophies. I think I prefer this over God of War (even though that one has better story/combat), as there's so much freedom in the game and I enjoyed the customization here. This is a great game but there's still a lot that they can improve and hopefully, I'd see those improvements in the sequels.

Ive moved on to Detroit Become Human after I finished the main story of Frozen Wilds and so far, I haven't played any game in New Game Plus mode.

New Game plus mode allows you to keep your weapons and mods and some of your skills and resources. NG+ adds Adept class weapons and gear, face paint and Focus customization, and unlocks an Ultra Hard difficulty if you're a masochist :hehe:. It also begins the game after the childhood and tutorial missions.

Yeah I know, I'm just not ready yet to go back to all the locations to clear the map and find all collectibles wwhichare the things I find most time consuming with open world games.

Hope there are sequel plans for this for next gen. could be a seriously beautiful looking game.

Hope there are sequel plans for this for next gen. could be a seriously beautiful looking game.
Oh Absolutely. Horizon One Dawn is probably in deep production, we just haven't heard anything about it.

For the next game, I want it to focus on the politics of their current world and no more delving about what happened in Earth circa 21st century. Then for mechanical creatures, I want mechanical creatures in the sea! And not just those crocodiles. Then monkey, snake, sheep, friendly mechanical creatures that won't attack Aloy. I also want Aloy to ride a flying creature.

Last edited:
Oh Absolutely. Horizon One Dawn is probably in deep production, we just haven't anything about it.

For the next game, I want it to focus on the politics of their current world and no more delving about what happened in Earth circa 21st century. Then for mechanical creatures, mechanical creatures in the sea! And not just those crocodiles. Then monkey, snake, sheep friendly mechanical creatures that won't attack Aloy. I also want Aloy to ride a flying creature.
Oh great.

Ha, some cool ideas there.

Why are people whining about it being released on PC? Sony was releasing it's exclusives on PC (and other platforms) when some of these cultists weren't even born.

God of War I’d love on pc. I’d replay them all.

Why are people whining about it being released on PC? Sony was releasing it's exclusives on PC (and other platforms) when some of these cultists weren't even born.
It's the lame console war crap you hear about. They want PS4 to have exclusives so it gives them a one-up on something like Xbox. You hear this allllll the time. When an Xbox game comes out that I'm excited for, you'll always be bombarded with PS-fanboys who will tell you that the Xbox game is also coming out on PC, so Xbox is terrible, and that the PS4 has all these exclusives, etc etc.

It's the lame console war crap you hear about. They want PS4 to have exclusives so it gives them a one-up on something like Xbox. You hear this allllll the time. When an Xbox game comes out that I'm excited for, you'll always be bombarded with PS-fanboys who will tell you that the Xbox game is also coming out on PC, so Xbox is terrible, and that the PS4 has all these exclusives, etc etc.
Ugh... Right. I forgot console wars is still a thing.

I'm just a relatively old gamer. I've been there when they released motheforking Final Fantasy VII on PC. And Metal Gear Solid. And Metal Gear Solid 2. And Silent Hill 2... And many other games. Now this drama is just beyond silly.

God of War I’d love on pc. I’d replay them all.
I would love to have GoW 4 on PC. Also Bloodborne, Spider-Man and, of course, the Naughty Dog games.

Ugh... Right. I forgot console wars is still a thing.

I'm just a relatively old gamer. I've been there when they released mothe****ing Final Fantasy VII on PC. And Metal Gear Solid. And Metal Gear Solid 2. And Silent Hill 2... And many other games. Now this drama is just beyond silly.
Yeah, I did play FF7 and MGS on PC. Good times. :hehe:

I would love to have GoW 4 on PC. Also Bloodborne, Spider-Man and, of course, the Naughty Dog games.

Yeah, I did play FF7 and MGS on PC. Good times. :hehe:
God of War is my favourite Sony franchise. Uncharted, Spider-man and Horizon are my others top ones. Would love to try them all on my pc on Ultra settings in max resolution. :cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"