• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hostel:Part II

And no, it was actually quite different than the first. Eli Roth did a good job of not just simply repeating what he already did. The best horror sequel I've seen this year.

Note: the Hills Have Eyes 2 was effin' terrible. 28 Weeks Later lost my interest a good half an hour in.

I just wanna know, are there more or less boobies than the first flick..if there's less, i'll pass. :o

I'll be watching it tonight once my friend gets over here. I'll give my thoughts.

I thought this film was utterly disgusting. I didn't see the first, but from what I've heard the first is even more disturbing. There's a scene with a bathtub that just went too far and for too long, imo. I will say, that it freaked me out though, so I guess it did its job. :p

The ending was good and funny, but this type of film just isn't my thing. I felt dirty after watching it. I'm too disturbed to even watch the first, lol. Anyways, I'd give it a C+

Holy cow, this is the biggest turd of a film ever. I was bored out of my mind watching it. I actually enjoyed the first one but this was horrendous. One of the worst sequels in the history of sequels.

You get to see Heather Matarazzo naked.

heatherm.jpg

:csad: :csad: :csad:

She didn't look too bad naked.

The gore, violence and sex has been toned down dramatically since the first one.

I watched it. Didn't care for it, even though I loved the first one. The end (the circumcision) was brutal. But who was the woman who tortured Heather Matarazzo's character? Was that the art teacher from the beginning?

i havent seen this yet and honestly by what ive seen on tv Im not to excited but just knowing that Heather Matarazzo gets naked is worth giving it a try cuz she is HOOOTT

I guess so but I don't remember her.

She was the witness on the stand that Keanu was questioning in the beginning. She had accused her teacher of molesting her...

CON: Hostel 2 (This article contains spoilers)

There is a certain type of mood when you find yourself at a convention, especially any kind of film or television convention. So going into Fangoria’s Weekend of Horrors I felt the excitement from the crowd, a group of people who love blood, gore, darkness, and everything evil all in the name of horror. But what makes this special is the amazing camaraderie of folks who love this genre.

Inside, there were several vendors selling t-shirts with The Tall Man, Michael Myers and even Tom Atkins. A few horror vets had booths selling photographs including the great Tim Thomerson, Kelli Maroney from the cult classic NIGHT OF THE COMET and and Irwin Keyes from HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES. Yet with all this talent, I was here for one thing. The upcoming sequel to Eli Roth’s hit HOSTEL. Yes Lionsgate was kind enough to invite us to get a sneak peek alongside Eli’s fans for more Slovakian horror with HOSTEL: PART II starring Heather Matarazzo, Bijou Phillips and Laura German.

But truth be told, I also found out that Heather Langenkamp was going to be live and in person, so I also had ulterior motives. Come on, Nancy from A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET was somewhere in this building and I had to see her. More than any other horror vet. In my humble opinion, she is one of the great scream queens alongside Jamie Lee Curtis, Amy Steel and Deborah Foreman… so I’m a bit old-fashioned. And truthfully, I hadn’t seen the schedule of events aside from the HOSTEL 2 panel and I would only be there for a few hours, chances were slim to none I would find my way to Mrs. Langenkamp…but I digress, back to HOSTEL 2.

The crowd was thrilled as two men came out on stage ready to torture some poor soul. The two actors were in full Hostel gear and they stood next to the chairs brought out for the guests of honor. But first, we were treated to the theatrical trailer of HOSTEL 2. Most horror fans have probably already caught a glimpse, and found that American girls are very expensive in Slovakia . After the trailer, when writer/director Eli Roth came out, he seemed genuinely thrilled to be there, even mentioning his excitement in a literal way by saying, “Do you guys know what a *****in’ ***** I have right now for being at the Fangoria Convention actually with a horror movie? I’m loving it.”

He stood on stage and proceeded to introduce two actress’ involved in the film, Bijou Phillips who looked so thin and fragile, although still quite pretty. And then he introduced Vera Jordanova…man he has a way of finding super hot foreign chicks for these films doesn’t he? The audience was excited and full of energy hearing Eli speak, even asking him such questions as why do you *****ing kick so much ass… no wonder the guy was lovin’ it.

One thing I learned from Mr. Roth and I do believe it’s true, is the communal group that horror filmmakers are, he praised this with, “I gotta say that this really is a community; that we are all in it together and that, if a film does well, then it helps everybody. As you’ve seen, you know, “House of 1000 Corpses” helps “Cabin Fever”. “Cabin Fever” helped “Saw”. “Saw” helped “Hostel”. “Hostel” helped “The Hills Have Eyes”. It all feeds each other.” I find this to be true, at least in theory, and it‘s good for everybody, including the fans.

After all, really great horror filmmakers are fans. They aren’t the ones hired by the studio to make a PG-13 remake of a Japanese film which will eventually become an UNRATED DVD Collector’s Edition. They wanna scare the ****e out of people, generally because they dig being scared too. It’s a thrill ride, at least for me and I expect for many of you that love the genre.

When it came to talking about making a sequel he said, “If I’m gonna make a sequel, I can’t just *****in’ phone it in… It’s got to be “The Road Warrior” or “Aliens” or “The Empire Strikes Back”… You know, I saw “Saw 2” and really, “The Devil’s Rejects” and I went, ‘***** man, Rob Zombie just took it to another level.’” With that he claimed he wanted to make the scariest ride in the theme park. One of the moments he was most proud of in the original also came up as inspiration. “…that scene with Rick Hoffman, the American businessman; I mean that scene scared people more than any other scene in the movie. I mean people would say I wanna see a movie about that guy. Alright, let’s see what happens when we have young women going through it.” Although, if people wanna see a movie about that guy, then bring it on…make a prequel… Rick Hoffman is the man!

Even though this was all about HOSTEL 2, there was no way Eli could avoid a certain holiday. Yes, Thanksgiving came up with a massive applause. On this subject he said, “Thanksgiving is an idea I had since I was eighteen with my friend Jeff who is the guy *****ing the turkey… I would love to do a “Thanksgiving” feature and in fact I talked to Edgar Wright about it. ‘If you do Thanksgiving, I’ll do “Don’t”’ and we told the Weinsteins about it.

But right now, obviously, they were disappointed with the box office of GRINDHOUSE and figuring out how to release it internationally. They’re not that eager to talk about GRINDHOUSE 2 but Quentin and Robert are totally down with the idea so I think that it’s something… If I did it, I’d want to make it like Dogma 95 rules… Like Dog**** 95… You have to basically say, if we’re gonna do this, we have to shoot it in a week or ten days and do it for like a million bucks. Like we set limits on ourselves in like Roger Corman kind of way. “Thanksgiving” was the most fun I ever had filming anything.”

He also brought up a certain Stephen King project called CELL and a couple other works roaming around in his twisted brain. “I’m going to be doing an adaptation of Stephen King’s “Cell”. And I’m gonna do a whole movie of fake trailers like “Thanksgiving” called “Trailer Trash”… I’ve got one for Bijou, I’ve got one for Vera, I’m gonna do like twenty-five of those “Thanksgiving” kind of trailers. Totally ridiculous like JACKASS or BORAT; completely silly, totally sophomoric and absurd, it will be like developmentally fifteen steps backward for me but really *****ing fun.”

At the end, we were treated to a sneak peek of HOSTEL 2. Now, keep in mind, I was one of those who loved HOSTEL. I thought it was fresh and a pretty sick little rollercoaster ride. But as for what I saw, Bijou being prepped to be… well, tortured. She fights back by biting her captor and running through the dark, damp hallways of a certain hell. But before she can escape, large metal doors slam shut in front of her and in her weakness, the bad ole’ sadomasochists bring in the dogs.

I liked the scene, but frankly, I’m only marginally excited about the film. I didn’t see enough to really get pumped for another torture film but at the same time, it didn’t look bad. But the idea of switching sexes seems like an almost too obvious move. Yet I’m hoping that I’m surprised and that the ending will be like nothing we’ve ever seen before, which is sort of what Eli promised. So chain me up and hopefully we won’t get the bad end of the drill.

And as I mentioned, with my hopes and fears in the balance as I count the days for what I hope to be a major ass-kicking sequel, it was my secret mission…my goal… the reason for my being… Heather Langenkamp happened to be the first panel, right before Eli and the girls came along, with a special appearance by Michael Madsen with a quick hug for Eli. But forget Eli, forget Michael and even Bijou and Vera. There was Nancy, right before my eyes… and all was good with the world.

And just in case you were wondering, she is taking a break from film and working with her husband for a special effects company. Hey, at least she’s still part of the horror community. I’m just saying… get back on the silver screen Heather; it’s been much too long. And don’t forget HOSTEL: PART II coming June 8th to a theatre near you.

FEATURE - Master of a HOSTEL Environment

When it comes right down to it, Eli Roth can safely tell his pal Guillermo del Toro that the daily prospect of shooting Hostel: Part II did indeed give him a *****.

By Daniel Robert Epstein, FilmStew.com

To all those would-be horror filmmakers out there, writer-director Eli Roth has some advice. If you can, skip film school and go straight to summer camp.

"I was a camp counselor for three years," Roth explains during a recent interview with FilmStew. "Honestly, that was better experience for directing than film school. I was a camp counselor for three years at The Meadowbrook Day Camp and all of my babysitting skills have come into play so much more."

"That is 98% of directing, because the whole job is, 'Look, I know he's in your chair. I know it says your name on that piece of tape, but look, I'm gonna let you sit in my chair…'" he continues. "Or, 'I know he got three cookies and there are only supposed to be two, but I promise you I'm gonna give you a special cookie. But it's gotta be our secret. You can't tell him that you're gonna get two. If you're gonna do that, then you've gotta go do this scene and not *****ing argue about it!'"

"That's all it is. It's controlling your temper, placating. I'm probably going to write a book just really targeting film students saying, 'Okay, here's how you go from fan to filmmaker. This is exactly what I did.'"

One must also not forget the words of wisdom imparted to Roth by Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro. When the Boston native asked him whether, after Cabin Fever, he should do a big budget movie or a low-budget movie, the latter simply replied, 'Whatever gives you the biggest *****, man.'

"He really goes, 'You gotta wake up with a *****ing rager," Roth recalls with a laugh. "And I thought, 'He's right. You have to be that excited about the project you're doing.'"

"That is Hostel: Part II," he maintains, referring to the much anticipated Lionsgate sequel, which arrives in theaters Friday, June 8th. "I was so excited to do it. I know people that are doing movies and they're getting big paychecks to do it, and they are miserable. That's what I did on Hostel, I think my salary was $10,000. I was like, 'I don't care. I'm just gonna shoot it and have fun.'"

Hostel: Part II picks up literally where the first film left off. It is, in many ways, the end result of Roth traveling around the world with his 2005 breakout hit and taking mental notes of what consistently worked with audiences, and what didn't.

Specifically, Roth feels there was much room for improvement with regards to the vibe of the scene where one of the protagonists hangs out at a pub with girls that are 'all *****ed up.' Overall, it was all about the mood of the scene in Hostel where an American businessman chats in a locker room with the character played by Rick Hoffman (American Client). Because more often than not, that is the scene that worldwide audiences voted as Hostel's most disturbing.

"You can have the gore and the eyes getting cut out, but this dialogue scene of two people in the locker room, it was just the look on his face talking about killing, that was the tone that I wanted [for Hostel: Part II]," Roth reveals. "I really tried to start off in that creepy place and stay there. It's like I just wanted to have a sense of dread throughout the whole thing."

"The fun of the first movie was using the [story] structure almost as a sex comedy and then just completely pulling the rug out from under everyone," he continues. "It starts out safe and bright and colorful, but once Josh gets killed, suddenly the main character's gone, the color's drained away."<.p>

"The lenses gets tighter, it's more handheld. You actually see later that the first and second half they're kind of mirror images of each other. The guys making fun of the hookers and then they become the hookers. So, the fun of the first Hostel was taking people on that ride and doing that sort of tonal switch. But you can't do that again."

An added bonus of next Friday's follow-up is that it features actor Roger Bart (The Producers, Desperate Housewives). If there's ever a third Hostel that teeters more in the song and dance direction, Roth will know upon whom to call.

"Roger actually had a full musical version of every one of his scenes," Roth chortles. "He and the other actors were working on Hostel II: The Musical, and they performed it for me. It was *****ing weird."

In the meantime, there is the challenge for Roth of topping not only himself in the horror department, but also all the other gore fest like Saw's II and III. "The movie's really about the next level of depravity," Roth asserts. "If sex doesn't get you off, the violence is a substitute for that. So there are certainly scenes that have to be the next level of shocking and disturbing."

"But at a certain point, I don't want the whole movie to just become about that," he adds. "If you just try to make the most shocking, disturbing movie, it's been done before and it's been done better. I mean, I loved Cannibal Holocaust. I love movies like that and you're never going to get more shocking and disturbing than those films. I was like, 'Let's take the things I thought worked best on Hostel and rebuild on that for the start of the sequel.'"

With the caveat of not quite duplicating the queasiness of the original scripted ending for Hostel. The one had the Paxton (Jay Hernandez) coming upon the businessman with his daughter and eventually throwing her in a dumpster.

"My friends were like, 'Eli this is really sick,'" Roth remembers. "They said, 'I know you're going for sick, but this is like we've-just-been-kicked-in-the-balls kind of sick.' They were like, 'We want to be ass-kicked, but we don't want to get kicked in the balls.'"

Tell that to the male audience member at the first test screening of Hostel. After watching the toned down ending of the girl being kidnapped rather than killed, said patron raised his hand to share the following first audience comment: 'You should have slit that *****'s throat!'

Or you could not be a pirate and see it in theaters.

Arrrrr! Or ye could sit the comfort of ye own ship and watch it fer free! Especially if ye weren't gonna spend 10 pieces seein' the film anyway! Arrrrr!

captain_jack_sparrow.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"