How should Edgar Wright do Ant-Man?

I don't think that Avi Arad or Stan Lee would let him make a spoof. But if they do I don't think I'd even go see it

Stan Lee has no say in how the movies are made. Avi Arad would probably have no problem with Ant-Man being a spoof considering his past Marvel projects. That said I would do Ant-Man as super-serious/dark, and focus on the death of his first wife.

Stan Lee has no say in how the movies are made. Avi Arad would probably have no problem with Ant-Man being a spoof considering his past Marvel projects. That said I would do Ant-Man as super-serious/dark, and focus on the death of his first wife.

It could work that way, and yes Stan Lee dose have a say in how they are made, in 2004 he sued Marvel 2,000,000 for not leting him have any say in any thing

It could work that way, and yes Stan Lee dose have a say in how they are made, in 2004 he sued Marvel 2,000,000 for not leting him have any say in any thing
No, he sued them for money. He wasn't getting what he thought was his rightful cut of the profits being the originator of most of the characters. He still has no say in how a movie is made.

No, he sued them for money. He wasn't getting what he thought was his rightful cut of the profits. He still has no say in how a movie is made.

Either way it dosen't matter, all im sayin is that I Doubt that they're gonna do a spoof

Either way it dosen't matter, all im sayin is that I Doubt that they're gonna do a spoof
Well they hired a "spoof" director, Edgar Wright Penn, so that doesn't bode well. True, it wouldn't be the first time Marvel movie director's have changed from their typical genre (Fantastic Four, DareDevil, Hulk, and Iron Man for example), however Marvel isn't particularly attached to Ant-Man. Considering they just did a comic, "The Irredeemable Ant-Man", that was a dark comedy I'd have to say it's a pretty safe assumption that they will make it a spoof or action comedy.

Well they hired a "spoof" director, Edgar Wright Penn, so that doesn't bode well. True, it wouldn't be the first time Marvel movie director's have changed from their typical genre (Fantastic Four, DareDevil, Hulk, and Iron Man for example), however Marvel isn't particularly attached to Ant-Man. Considering they just did a comic, "The Irredeemable Ant-Man", that was a dark comedy I'd have to say it's a pretty safe assumption that they will make it a spoof or action comedy.

Someone's gonna die if it's a spoof

Someone's gonna die if it's a spoof
It's not my first choice, in fact I'd rather he just appear as a new character in Avengers, but Marvel is going to want to expand into new genres. Ant-Man, in terms of general popularity, isn't going to cause a huge backlash if they make it a farce.

It's not my first choice, in fact I'd rather he just appear as a new character in Avengers, but Marvel is going to want to expand into new genres. Ant-Man, in terms of general popularity, isn't going to cause a huge backlash if they make it a farce.

I think if there gonna do a Spin-Off then they should just do a Hank Pym movie

As I say if I did Ant-Man it would be more along the lines of Hostel meets The Fly. Very dramatic, very little time spent (if any) on him as a "superhero", although not a horror film. He'd be a scientist working on these pym particles. You get a lot of scenes with him interacting with bugs, maybe you'd have his wife's killers eventually attempt to kill him via his own particles. He gets shrunk down but in the end is able to use his invention to his advantage an get revenge for his wife.

As I say if I did Ant-Man it would be more along the lines of Hostel meets The Fly. Very dramatic, very little time spent (if any) on him as a "superhero", although not a horror film. He'd be a scientist working on these pym particles. You get a lot of scenes with him interacting with bugs, maybe you'd have his wife's killers eventually attempt to kill him via his own particles. He gets shrunk down but in the end is able to use his invention to his advantage an get revenge for his wife.

that could work

that could work
Yeah, well, you see my view is Ant-Man started out when Marvel was still heavy into the "monster" and "adventure" books. They had very few heroes when they created Hank Pym, and so he didn't wear a costume when he started and he was basically a recurring "Tales to Astonish" character. His tale was simply a basic science fiction story. So since his wife died, and Pym is known to have a volatile personality it would be interesting to explore where that came from. So you'd get like a Sci-fi revenge movie about how this passive scientist is pushed to the edge over his wife's murder. You could also carry this over into the Avengers movie and have him start beating his next wife Janet Pym.

Yeah, well, you see my view is Ant-Man started out when Marvel was still heavy into the "monster" and "adventure" books. They had very few heroes when they created Hank Pym, and so he didn't wear a costume when he started and he was basically a recurring "Tales to Astonish" character. His tale was simply a basic science fiction story. So since his wife died, and Pym is known to have a volatile personality it would be interesting to explore where that came from. So you'd get like a Sci-fi revenge movie about how this passive scientist is pushed to the edge over his wife's murder. You could also carry this over into the Avengers movie and have him start beating his next wife Janet Pym.

cool, that could work out really cool

They got Deadpool and She-Hulk for spoof material.

With out a doubt they should do a spoof for She-Hulk, but on Deadpool I Think they could make a pretty cool movie, I Don't see why they'd do spoof for it

With out a doubt they should do a spoof for She-Hulk, but on Deadpool I Think they could make a pretty cool movie, I Don't see why they'd do spoof for it
Deadpool's sense of humor certainly lends itself to a comedic action movie. The comic itself often breaks the forth wall, spoofs old comic cliche's (such as X-Men, Mary Jane, Thor) and typically blends action and comedy in such a way to make ultra-violence seem funny (see: Deadpool getting hacked to bits and regenerating). It would be a cool movie, but likely it would also spoof or parody most action shoot-em-ups.

Edgar was at the Oscars last night. His been a bit silent recently.
Diablo Cody & Edgar Wright
DiabloCodyEdgarWright.jpg

I hope its a good balance of humour, and seriousness.
I originally voted spoof, but I rather it not be too much of a spoof, removing itself from the Marvel world and feeling like a WHAT THE..?! issue.

I much rather he be Ant-Man then giant man though, let him make that transition in one of the Avengers movies, but it be fun to see a miniaturized hero properly used.

Edgar Wright doesnt make spoofs, why are people expecting a spoof

This definitely shouldn't be spoof ala Mystery Men, but still quite heavy on the quirky comedy while still taking it self seriously and being loyal.

Sorta like a Will Smith-less MIB meets The Incredibly Shrinking Man (1957) meets Douglas Adams' narrative style.

I know Wright was talking about making the film with a noir style. I have no clue how that'd work at all, but he did stellar work on Hot Fuzz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"