How should Thor be handled in a movie?

Discussion in 'Thor' started by The Overlord, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Venom'sDad Enter The Sym

Sounds good on paper and, but no.

2. Changeling Registered

Wasnt that already knowledge to about every Thor fan? If there wasnt any info on casting within two months wed probably know that the movie is in development hell.
    But whatever man. I dont wanna get in **** with ya

3. lowly marvelite Registered

He's going to be a tough one to cast...I mean I can't imagine any actor that could pull off Thor and look the role too (6'6", 640 lbs...). Also, I've heard the movie is going in the direction of the original, mythological Thor...that's a mistake if they want to later cast him in the Avengers movie. And I would say leave the "thee" and "thous" out of it and go for a more "Lord of the Rings" speech pattern that indicates an ancient world but sidesteps the whole Shaspearean speech pattern. And as powerful as Thor is, I want to see the most stunning displays of superhuman strength ever seen on screen...not to mention his other powers. Maybe Superman beat Thor in the crossover (a popularity contest, no less...) but I want to see Superman one upped in the Thor movie...

4. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

NO! That was a horrible portrayal of Thor & everyone involved.

5. Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Confirm how? Publicly? B/c that would cause such a huge uproar it's not even funny.

6. Paradox1 Registered

I don't think ancient Norsemen talked like Shakspearean actors. As shakspearean is stylized way of speech that was created long after the Norse men mythios had been died out due to Christian influence. As far as casting of Thor goes , the best rendition of Herclues was played by Kevin Sorbo who is hardly Hercluesh . In all fairness Stan Lee really ripped the whole idea of Thor from there mythology.

7. Rich Santoro Addicted to degeneracy

Which is why KB said that Marvel "raided" the mythology in a real cool way (paraphrasing).

I insist on hearing Thor say "Verily"... plus a bit of a scuffle where Thor intervenes to stop Hulk from hurting someone... he catched Hulk's punch and says, "Stay thy hand brute". Thor must talk with that classic flare.

#82 Rich Santoro, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  8. Paradox1 Registered

If he talks like he does in the new animated Cartoon Hulk vs Thor I'll be ok with it.

9. WillardNation Nibiru Warrior

Thor HAS to speak the way he does in the comics, otherwise it's just not Thor. In related news, I talked to a guy at the bar tonight who looked more like Thor than any actor anybody has talked about, unfortunately he was from Texas and I'm pretty sure he wasn't an actor, but out of all the people I talked to, he was the only person who actually knew who Thor was.

10. WillardNation Nibiru Warrior

and yes, I realize how sad it is that I'm having these conversations when I'm at a bar, but I really can't emphasize enough how much this guy looked just like Thor.

11. broblacksteel Registered

IESB did a script review on Mark Protosevich's draft awhile back in August 2007. Of course there have been I am sure several re-writes since that time, as scripts do, but the script dealt only with Thor in his native land of Asgard, his father issues with Odin and his battle with his brother turned evil-doer Loki with hopes of Asgard domination with no mention of the modern world.

We are now getting word that there has been an addition to the end of the Asgard driven Thor story that very much gives credence to further Thor stories and how Marvel plans to bring everything together for the Avengers film due out in 2011 a question even Tony Stark himself pondered, Downey Jr. said to MTV, "The danger you run with colliding all these worlds is [director] Jon [Favreau] was very certain that 'Iron Man' should be set in a very realistic world. Nothing that happened in 'Iron Man' is really outside the realm of possibility. Once you start talking about Valhalla and supersized super soldiers and jolly green giants it warrants much further discussion."

A reliable source tells the IESB that the character of Donald Blake has been added to the end of the script. Let me reiterate that he wasn't there before, the script was set entirely in the land of the Norse Gods.

The introduction of the character is essential to how Marvel will tie Thor into the Avengers that is set in contemporary Tony Stark/Hulk timeframe. It explains how the actual Thor film will be set in the ancient time of the Norse Gods and how they will subsequently bring the character into a modern time with Donald Blake discovering the magical Norse hammer Mjolnir and turning into Thor.

Now is Thor sent to live amongst the humans with no memory of his life as Thor until he finds the hammer as in the comic book? I would have to assume so but this will all happen after we see Thor in his native land battling other Norse Gods in Asgard in order for the audience to learn his backstory.

Now can they explain all this using an epilogue approach a la Samuel L. Jackson in Iron Man with the main story still focusing on the Thor character in Asgard or does the Blake character and his storyline have a bigger role?

Don't know for sure, but he's been added says our source. Take it as a rumor if you need to but it makes complete sense.

We've also been told that director Kenneth Branagh will have an acting part in the film as well - a throw back to Jon Favreau's role in Iron Man. Guess Louis Leterrier missed that boat as he didn't appear in The Incredible Hulk.

One more thing, no J. Michael Straczynski is not doing the current re-write of the script, he has confirmed this repeatedly.

Stay tuned for more THOR news from the IESB!

(gee wonder who said this MONTHS ago hmmmm...) :whatever:

12. Changeling Registered

It could be assumed since theyre making a Avengers movie. Its the perfect way to tie in Thor to the Avengers.

13. Vartha Mod of Thunder

One problem with that, artical and I posted in the other Thor Thread. JMS is quoted as saying he DID finish rewrites.

14. chiefchirpa Haaa-rooooooo

Latest quote says he's not.

JMS is probably acting like Matt Fraction to John Favreau: not as a script writer but the advisor who checks if the writing is in line with modern take of the characters.

15. Vartha Mod of Thunder

That's what I'm thinking too Chief.

16. Paradox1 Registered

After reading Man of War I'm starting to think that this movie shouldn't be about Thor being the traditional hero. To put it bluntly this story should be similar to a biblical story, the story of the first, most beloved of all. If your not up on your bible the first becomes full of himself believing his power greater than the all-father which gets him cast out of heaven. At the end Thor and Odin could square off in a epic battle.

17. Obi-Ron Deal with it

The Thor Movie should:

• be called "The Mighty Thor"
    • use Jack Kirby's designs for the gleaming spires of Asgard. And name him as an official designer in the credits.
    • Have the "thees" and "thous" and "aye, verily's!"....possibly only when Thor speaks in modern times though
    • feature Brian Blessed as Odin and Stan Lee as Vizier.
    • end with a newly Thored-up Don Blake seeing reports of Stone Men attacking (or perhaps the Hulk...) and running into battle
    • remember all the important mythological Asgardians (Balder, Heimdall...how cool would it be to see him at the edge of Bifrost blowing that warning horn of his...) as well as Marvel originals like Valkyrie, the Warriors Three and Amora.
    • have it's own Hype forum and a Thor smiley as well! Forsooth!
    • Should use "U Can't Touch This" in commercials - hammertime! :woot:

18. 3dman27 super-hero wannabe

quoted for truth

19. Aztec Registered

Karl Urban for Thor?

[​IMG]

20. broblacksteel Registered

urban is on tron 2 for the next 4-5mths, so no thor for him...

21. Ratcrawler Registered

Techno Viking IS Thor.
    [​IMG]

22. Tyrinus Registered

They've got quite a challenge ahead to bring a Norse God into the "realistic" world they created in Iron Man. All the other characters can be explained in the realm of science to a degree, but to throw in religion and gods is another matter. I look forward to seeing how they pull it off.

23. Carlo Comicus Registered

This news have no sense. I have the Protosevich script, and adds Donald Blake only in the final part of the script it's a stupid idea, this because the Protosevich script need a full rewrite. It's a horrible script with no correlation with the classic Thor of Marvel Universe.

24. Aztec Registered

The script has been rewritten. In fact that's kind of what the entire article is about...:confused:

25. CaptainCanada Shield of the True North

One seriously doubts that; that's the #1 most campy aspect of the character, and one they've done away with in the comics. No doubt he'll speak formally.