How should Thor be handled in a movie?

Thor movie: A real Asgardian God of Thunder. Whe see Asgard, Odin, Loki, Hel and everything that makes Thor... Thor.

The Avengers movie: Thor is considered a hero, but he's also considered a nutcase for saying that he's a Norse God. SHIELD belives he's just a superhuman (It would be cool if they said he's "just another mutant") and the public believes he's just a superhero. Specially because he don't go public talking about Asgard and things like that. He's a silent, watchfull protector. At the ending (Or in a sequel), the Avengers confirm he's a real God.

Sounds good on paper and, but no.

sighs, u took one literal comment and didn't read between the lines...(i.e. the bodyguard stuff...) was and example of not being able to give to much info without getting a source/friend in trouble...

look lil homie, i am not looking for anyone to believe me about info...but it does NOT benefit me to lie or exaggerate about what i was told or heard.

Just give it about another 2months and this topic of who is thor will be null and void once the casting announcement happens....

Wasnt that already knowledge to about every Thor fan? If there wasnt any info on casting within two months wed probably know that the movie is in development hell.
But whatever man. I dont wanna get in **** with ya

He's going to be a tough one to cast...I mean I can't imagine any actor that could pull off Thor and look the role too (6'6", 640 lbs...). Also, I've heard the movie is going in the direction of the original, mythological Thor...that's a mistake if they want to later cast him in the Avengers movie. And I would say leave the "thee" and "thous" out of it and go for a more "Lord of the Rings" speech pattern that indicates an ancient world but sidesteps the whole Shaspearean speech pattern. And as powerful as Thor is, I want to see the most stunning displays of superhuman strength ever seen on screen...not to mention his other powers. Maybe Superman beat Thor in the crossover (a popularity contest, no less...) but I want to see Superman one upped in the Thor movie...

Thor movie: A real Asgardian God of Thunder. Whe see Asgard, Odin, Loki, Hel and everything that makes Thor... Thor.

The Avengers movie: Thor is considered a hero, but he's also considered a nutcase for saying that he's a Norse God. SHIELD belives he's just a superhuman (It would be cool if they said he's "just another mutant") and the public believes he's just a superhero. Specially because he don't go public talking about Asgard and things like that. He's a silent, watchfull protector. At the ending (Or in a sequel), the Avengers confirm he's a real God.

Confirm how? Publicly? B/c that would cause such a huge uproar it's not even funny.

He's going to be a tough one to cast...I mean I can't imagine any actor that could pull off Thor and look the role too (6'6", 640 lbs...). Also, I've heard the movie is going in the direction of the original, mythological Thor...that's a mistake if they want to later cast him in the Avengers movie. And I would say leave the "thee" and "thous" out of it and go for a more "Lord of the Rings" speech pattern that indicates an ancient world but sidesteps the whole Shaspearean speech pattern. And as powerful as Thor is, I want to see the most stunning displays of superhuman strength ever seen on screen...not to mention his other powers. Maybe Superman beat Thor in the crossover (a popularity contest, no less...) but I want to see Superman one upped in the Thor movie...

I don't think ancient Norsemen talked like Shakspearean actors. As shakspearean is stylized way of speech that was created long after the Norse men mythios had been died out due to Christian influence. As far as casting of Thor goes , the best rendition of Herclues was played by Kevin Sorbo who is hardly Hercluesh . In all fairness Stan Lee really ripped the whole idea of Thor from there mythology.

In all fairness Stan Lee really ripped the whole idea of Thor from there mythology.

Which is why KB said that Marvel "raided" the mythology in a real cool way (paraphrasing).

I insist on hearing Thor say "Verily"... plus a bit of a scuffle where Thor intervenes to stop Hulk from hurting someone... he catched Hulk's punch and says, "Stay thy hand brute". Thor must talk with that classic flare.

Last edited:
If he talks like he does in the new animated Cartoon Hulk vs Thor I'll be ok with it.

Thor HAS to speak the way he does in the comics, otherwise it's just not Thor. In related news, I talked to a guy at the bar tonight who looked more like Thor than any actor anybody has talked about, unfortunately he was from Texas and I'm pretty sure he wasn't an actor, but out of all the people I talked to, he was the only person who actually knew who Thor was.

and yes, I realize how sad it is that I'm having these conversations when I'm at a bar, but I really can't emphasize enough how much this guy looked just like Thor.

IESB did a script review on Mark Protosevich's draft awhile back in August 2007. Of course there have been I am sure several re-writes since that time, as scripts do, but the script dealt only with Thor in his native land of Asgard, his father issues with Odin and his battle with his brother turned evil-doer Loki with hopes of Asgard domination with no mention of the modern world.

We are now getting word that there has been an addition to the end of the Asgard driven Thor story that very much gives credence to further Thor stories and how Marvel plans to bring everything together for the Avengers film due out in 2011 a question even Tony Stark himself pondered, Downey Jr. said to MTV, "The danger you run with colliding all these worlds is [director] Jon [Favreau] was very certain that 'Iron Man' should be set in a very realistic world. Nothing that happened in 'Iron Man' is really outside the realm of possibility. Once you start talking about Valhalla and supersized super soldiers and jolly green giants it warrants much further discussion."

A reliable source tells the IESB that the character of Donald Blake has been added to the end of the script. Let me reiterate that he wasn't there before, the script was set entirely in the land of the Norse Gods.

The introduction of the character is essential to how Marvel will tie Thor into the Avengers that is set in contemporary Tony Stark/Hulk timeframe. It explains how the actual Thor film will be set in the ancient time of the Norse Gods and how they will subsequently bring the character into a modern time with Donald Blake discovering the magical Norse hammer Mjolnir and turning into Thor.

Now is Thor sent to live amongst the humans with no memory of his life as Thor until he finds the hammer as in the comic book? I would have to assume so but this will all happen after we see Thor in his native land battling other Norse Gods in Asgard in order for the audience to learn his backstory.

Now can they explain all this using an epilogue approach a la Samuel L. Jackson in Iron Man with the main story still focusing on the Thor character in Asgard or does the Blake character and his storyline have a bigger role?

Don't know for sure, but he's been added says our source. Take it as a rumor if you need to but it makes complete sense.

We've also been told that director Kenneth Branagh will have an acting part in the film as well - a throw back to Jon Favreau's role in Iron Man. Guess Louis Leterrier missed that boat as he didn't appear in The Incredible Hulk.

One more thing, no J. Michael Straczynski is not doing the current re-write of the script, he has confirmed this repeatedly.

Stay tuned for more THOR news from the IESB!

(gee wonder who said this MONTHS ago hmmmm...) :whatever:

It could be assumed since theyre making a Avengers movie. Its the perfect way to tie in Thor to the Avengers.

One problem with that, artical and I posted in the other Thor Thread. JMS is quoted as saying he DID finish rewrites.

Latest quote says he's not.

JMS is probably acting like Matt Fraction to John Favreau: not as a script writer but the advisor who checks if the writing is in line with modern take of the characters.

That's what I'm thinking too Chief.

After reading Man of War I'm starting to think that this movie shouldn't be about Thor being the traditional hero. To put it bluntly this story should be similar to a biblical story, the story of the first, most beloved of all. If your not up on your bible the first becomes full of himself believing his power greater than the all-father which gets him cast out of heaven. At the end Thor and Odin could square off in a epic battle.

The Thor Movie should:

• be called "The Mighty Thor"
  • use Jack Kirby's designs for the gleaming spires of Asgard. And name him as an official designer in the credits.
  • Have the "thees" and "thous" and "aye, verily's!"....possibly only when Thor speaks in modern times though
  • feature Brian Blessed as Odin and Stan Lee as Vizier.
  • end with a newly Thored-up Don Blake seeing reports of Stone Men attacking (or perhaps the Hulk...) and running into battle
  • remember all the important mythological Asgardians (Balder, Heimdall...how cool would it be to see him at the edge of Bifrost blowing that warning horn of his...) as well as Marvel originals like Valkyrie, the Warriors Three and Amora.
  • have it's own Hype forum and a Thor smiley as well! Forsooth!
  • Should use "U Can't Touch This" in commercials - hammertime! :woot:

The Thor Movie should:

• be called "The Mighty Thor"
  • use Jack Kirby's designs for the gleaming spires of Asgard. And name him as an official designer in the credits.
  • Have the "thees" and "thous" and "aye, verily's!"....possibly only when Thor speaks in modern times though
  • feature Brian Blessed as Odin and Stan Lee as Vizier.
  • end with a newly Thored-up Don Blake seeing reports of Stone Men attacking (or perhaps the Hulk...) and running into battle
  • remember all the important mythological Asgardians (Balder, Heimdall...how cool would it be to see him at the edge of Bifrost blowing that warning horn of his...) as well as Marvel originals like Valkyrie, the Warriors Three and Amora.
  • have it's own Hype forum and a Thor smiley as well! Forsooth!

quoted for truth

Karl Urban for Thor?

eomer2dff626.jpg

They've got quite a challenge ahead to bring a Norse God into the "realistic" world they created in Iron Man. All the other characters can be explained in the realm of science to a degree, but to throw in religion and gods is another matter. I look forward to seeing how they pull it off.

IESB did a script review on Mark Protosevich's draft awhile back in August 2007. Of course there have been I am sure several re-writes since that time, as scripts do, but the script dealt only with Thor in his native land of Asgard, his father issues with Odin and his battle with his brother turned evil-doer Loki with hopes of Asgard domination with no mention of the modern world.

We are now getting word that there has been an addition to the end of the Asgard driven Thor story that very much gives credence to further Thor stories and how Marvel plans to bring everything together for the Avengers film due out in 2011 a question even Tony Stark himself pondered, Downey Jr. said to MTV, "The danger you run with colliding all these worlds is [director] Jon [Favreau] was very certain that 'Iron Man' should be set in a very realistic world. Nothing that happened in 'Iron Man' is really outside the realm of possibility. Once you start talking about Valhalla and supersized super soldiers and jolly green giants it warrants much further discussion."

A reliable source tells the IESB that the character of Donald Blake has been added to the end of the script. Let me reiterate that he wasn't there before, the script was set entirely in the land of the Norse Gods.

The introduction of the character is essential to how Marvel will tie Thor into the Avengers that is set in contemporary Tony Stark/Hulk timeframe. It explains how the actual Thor film will be set in the ancient time of the Norse Gods and how they will subsequently bring the character into a modern time with Donald Blake discovering the magical Norse hammer Mjolnir and turning into Thor.

Now is Thor sent to live amongst the humans with no memory of his life as Thor until he finds the hammer as in the comic book? I would have to assume so but this will all happen after we see Thor in his native land battling other Norse Gods in Asgard in order for the audience to learn his backstory.

Now can they explain all this using an epilogue approach a la Samuel L. Jackson in Iron Man with the main story still focusing on the Thor character in Asgard or does the Blake character and his storyline have a bigger role?

Don't know for sure, but he's been added says our source. Take it as a rumor if you need to but it makes complete sense.

We've also been told that director Kenneth Branagh will have an acting part in the film as well - a throw back to Jon Favreau's role in Iron Man. Guess Louis Leterrier missed that boat as he didn't appear in The Incredible Hulk.

One more thing, no J. Michael Straczynski is not doing the current re-write of the script, he has confirmed this repeatedly.

Stay tuned for more THOR news from the IESB!

(gee wonder who said this MONTHS ago hmmmm...) :whatever:

This news have no sense. I have the Protosevich script, and adds Donald Blake only in the final part of the script it's a stupid idea, this because the Protosevich script need a full rewrite. It's a horrible script with no correlation with the classic Thor of Marvel Universe.

This news have no sense. I have the Protosevich script, and adds Donald Blake only in the final part of the script it's a stupid idea, this because the Protosevich script need a full rewrite. It's a horrible script with no correlation with the classic Thor of Marvel Universe.

The script has been rewritten. In fact that's kind of what the entire article is about...:confused:

The Thor Movie should:
One seriously doubts that; that's the #1 most campy aspect of the character, and one they've done away with in the comics. No doubt he'll speak formally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"