How To Deal With Being Fired?

the last son

Superhero
Reaction score
I was recently fired for being late to two orientation meetings. I was returning to an old job and had to go through orientation. I said ok. I was late to both of my orientation meetings. I was fired. No conversations no warnings just you are done. I said I didn't know it was that big of a deal. We weren't getting paid for orientation and I have seen this all less than a year ago. I showed up late to the first meeting and assumed it was no big deal because no one said anything. I came late to the second meeting and was fired.

I said why was there no warning. She said why should there be a warning? I say because I came late the first day and was not told anything about it. I assumed huh must not be a big deal. I oversleep a second time and was shown the door. I go back to the I've worked here before there was nothing new to see so what is the big deal. I really think this was overkill to just up and fire me. I called and complained to corporate and they say they will look into it and maybe I can come back to orientation but I seriously doubt it.

I didn't complain other than what you read and just said ok and walked out the door. Is it me or was it overkill. I understand I was completely wrong but I seriously didn't know it was that big of a deal. I know I am 100% wrong but was it overkill or not?

You shouldn't have shown up late even if you'd seen it before, it makes you look irresponsible.

But I feel like they should have warned you the first time.

That sucks man, sorry to hear it.

Having said that, did you really think being late to two meetings right off the bat was a good first impression? Hardly shows dedication, and just looks to your employer like you'll slack off given any leeway. They probably should have warned you the first time, but it was clearly a deliberate test to see if it was a common occurance. Lesson here - do everything you can to act and look productive if you want to keep your job, especially in this job market. Don't be late - if anything, be early.

Out of curiosity, what kind of job/industry was this in?

I don't know what the job was and I know you've had it already in the past, but either way and in my opinion, I don't think you made a very good impression by being late to technically the first 2 days of work.

I don't ever remember being late to an interview or orientation (I might have) but I remember nearly panicking out of fear of being late. It's just not a good message to send that you don't think orientation doesn't matter. Usually there's like a 90 day period where they could fire you without question anyways.

No it wasn't overkill; it was completely irresponsible and showed a lack of accountability on your part. Punctuality isn't an unusual requirement for employment so I don't think any "warning" was necessary on their part.

I am a truck driver doing over the road. They tell me by being late how do we know you will not show up late to pick up loads. I say because I've done this before with you all none the less and you all know I'm late to pick up loads and do the job. This happened today by the way. Corporate says they will look into it but at this point I've already soured on even coming back to the company. I just feel that I should have been given some type of warnings especially knowing I've been here before and have gone through all of this.

I am a truck driver doing over the road. They tell me by being late how do we know you will not show up late to pick up loads. I say because I've done this before with you all none the less and you all know I'm late to pick up loads and do the job. This happened today by the way. Corporate says they will look into it but at this point I've already soured on even coming back to the company. I just feel that I should have been given some type of warnings especially knowing I've been here before and have gone through all of this.

Seriously?! And you're even questioning their justification in letting you go?

Sorry I meant to say I'm not late and have a very good track record picking up loads. It was a misprint

Sorry I meant to say I'm not late and have a very good track record picking up loads. It was a misprint

Ok. Still, especially in today's job market, doing anything less than 100% is dangerous considering the amount of people will to do anything for a job.

Whenever you're applying for a job, you want to make a good impression. All that being said, being late on the first day or to an interview doesn't help.

I agree and understand it's all my fault but it's a lesson learned and will have to take the lesson and just apply it to my next job.

Overkill considering the fact that you worked for them before and had a good track record but it is understandable, punctuality is one of the first thing an employer will notice and judge you from that.
Anyway, once you quit a job your track record ( unless bad ) means nothing to them, you are like another candidate ( unless they need you badly ).
Good luck.

I agree and understand it's all my fault but it's a lesson learned and will have to take the lesson and just apply it to my next job.

This is the smartest thing you've said in this entire thread.

My father always says, "Every lesson in life has a price tag. Some are just more expensive than others." Learning this lesson cost you a job.

Regardless of whether they gave you a warning or not, when is showing up late not a big deal? It's very indicative of what your priorities really are in regards to the job. Showing up late, especially for the first two days of your new job (regardless of whether you worked there previously or not) scream "I'll show up when I want and when I feel it's important, not on your set schedule".

No it wasn't overkill; it was completely irresponsible and showed a lack of accountability on your part. Punctuality isn't an unusual requirement for employment so I don't think any "warning" was necessary on their part.

^This

Who needs a warning about showing up late? Regardless if you've gone through it before , there are still people in the group who haven't. The same rules apply to everyone.

The best way to deal with being fired is to move on and learn from your mistakes.

Regardless of whether they gave you a warning or not, when is showing up late not a big deal? It's very indicative of what your priorities really are in regards to the job. Showing up late, especially for the first two days of your new job (regardless of whether you worked there previously or not) scream "I'll show up when I want and when I feel it's important, not on your set schedule".

Completely unrelated...I saw the avatar and thought Jag had made his return.

Who's that? :huh:

Poster whose been here about as long as you...disappeared a year or so ago. Was the only one I know of that had the avatar you're using. I think his screen name was Jaguaar. Anyway...no biggee.

Who's that? :huh:

Poster whose been here about as long as you...disappeared a year or so ago. Was the only one I know of that had the avatar you're using. I think his screen name was Jaguaar. Anyway...no biggee.
Honestly, I saw the avatar (I never knew him but saw his posts and people made such a big deal of him leaving) that knowsbleed was using and thought it was like an inside joke or something to mess with people. <.<

Edit: Saw his latest post....

:lmao:

Oh ok, that's interesting.

'bleed

Honestly, I saw the avatar (I never knew him but saw his posts and people made such a big deal of him leaving) that knowsbleed was using and thought it was like an inside joke or something to mess with people. <.<

Edit: Saw his latest post....

:lmao:

Crap...shoulda known better. :doh:

Wait, you were required to go to TWO orientations and you weren't even getting paid for it? **** that.

Just take a big steamy dump on the bosses desk. They'll be impressed by how spontaneous you are that they will rehire you.

Back when I worked fast food, meetings were mandatory and a failure to show was an automatic termination. Luckily we got paid for those meetings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"