How To Deal With Being Fired?

Never been fired, but have like a butt quit two jobs looooooong ago with no notice...probably why I can never get hired outside of paper routes. Oh past me was so smart...

Showing up late the first time was your first warning. By the time the second day came around and you were late, they knew this would be an ongoing thing. Set your clocks ahead about 30 minutes.

So, I asked an other boss was I completely fired with no chance of return because I'm looking for a new job immediately if I am. They said they asked corporate and no answer was given yet. But I am sure they will not change their minds. Lesson learned.

Very bad Joke ahead:

Stop drop and roll

It's a job, not class. You don't need a warning to know that being late isn't something you should make a habit of if you want to keep the job. The fact that you were late the first time means you should have made sure you were early or at least on time for the next meeting.

Never been fired, but have like a butt quit two jobs looooooong ago with no notice...probably why I can never get hired outside of paper routes. Oh past me was so smart...
I learned that the hard way. Quit my first job at UPS without giving my two weeks (thus not being able to use them as a reference), and went unemployed for six months afterward.

On one hand, I'm incredibly grateful for the job I have now. On the other hand, I hate it with a burning passion. Been frantically searching for another job for months, but I've learned not to quit before having something else already lined up. In this current climate, that's a recipe for disaster.

It's a job, not class. You don't need a warning to know that being late isn't something you should make a habit of if you want to keep the job. The fact that you were late the first time means you should have made sure you were early or at least on time for the next meeting.

Well technically it was class. A job is something you get paid to do. This was orientation that was not being paid.

Yeah I don't get this orientation but not getting paid part. Either way, you should have been there on time.

How to deal with being fired?

Rub a little dirt on your emotions/pride and walk it off.

For the record even if you know what the meeting is about you should still attend them.

I'm always on time and pretty reliable except for this one time I was going in for an interview for Wells Fargo and I couldn't find the branch until about 5-6 minutes later yet the branch manager still interviewed me but assured me that my showing up late looked bad on my part and I didn't get hired.

To the OP,

I feel your pain. If it makes you feel better, I was in a similar situation like you long ago.

Unless you're the CEO of the company, or your Dad is the CEO of the company, you can't afford to show up late for work.

Well actually ...it also depends...if you're a few minutes late...Its still reasonably acceptable.

Every cloud has a silver lining, Just don't give up and I sincerely wish and hope you will find a better job soon.

Looking back I realize I was wrong. I was 95% wrong and the company not letting a former employee at least get a heads up is 5% wrong I guess. But out of all this the company taught me how important any and every meeting is. It will never happen again I can say that.

Just as everyone else has said, being late and "assuming it was no big deal" was your first mistake. You should have asked. Then you're late again? Sorry it happened man, but you put yourself in this spot with some serious irresponsibility.

Please learn from it.

Well technically it was class. A job is something you get paid to do. This was orientation that was not being paid.

Orientation is part of the job. You may not get paid for being there but you're responsible for attending it.

Orientation is part of the job. You may not get paid for being there but you're responsible for attending it.

ok whatever.. so it was justified in me getting fired? I see the point of being to orientation on time but I'm more hurt than anything. I thought just being a part of this company helping it make money while they take from me was good enough. I'm Hurt thinking I was more than a number. I guess when you are younger than 25 you still have a lot to learn. I thought I knew it all.

You also have to look at it from their perspective. Here they have one guy out of all of their new recruits who takes advantage of the system. You put them in a situation where you had to be made an example out of. Clearly you realize you did wrong here, but your arrogance would piss me off if I was also in that class and not shown (your preferred) special treatment. Forget what everyone else is saying about assuming you could blow off orientation, your first mistake was thinking you were more than a number to these folks. I work for a small family owned furniture company and they look at returning employees like dogs with their tails between their legs asking for mercy, and that's after they strip you of all your seniority and benefits and make you start from scratch.

well...how many minutes were you late for? If I was in charge it would really depend how late you were but then again as others have said, punctuality is extremely important for your first few days on the job. After you've showed your employers that you are a hard working individual you can afford to be late every once in a while so long as its not a habit. However, if you are late to the first two mandatory meeting, it looks bad. Put yourself in their shoes, would you want to hire someone like that? Maybe not.

It sounds to me like this whole orientation thing probably wasn't presented as a serious matter, so I can understand your "wtf" response. You'd been there before, and you weren't actually getting paid to be there. You already technically had the job anyway.

They're in the right, objectively, but they still handled it in a robotic manner.

I once worked at the Amazon.com facility outside of Coffeyville, KS. It was during the holidays when they were at their highest employment rate. We were all overworked cogs in a machine (funny, because Amazon supposedly cared so much for "safety" and "morale").

Well. I met a co-worker who was adorable. She sought me out frequently while we were both on the job. We became rather close. And then I was suddenly fired for "misconduct toward co-workers". And for legal reasons, they couldn't give a detailed explanation.

I have to wonder if the girl was a femme fatale of Amazon.com, or if some manager had a crush on her and became jealous that she and I were getting along so well. I'll never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"