How to make Hawkman?

Airwings

Waves of air
Reaction score
This is my idea how to make it work. Perhaps you don't agree with this being appealing to the general movie-goer.

The story should focus on archaeologist Carter Hall, who do some diggings in Egypt and during that finds a strange bird-like armour hidden in a secret chamber below the ground.
He soon understand that it gives powers to those who wear it.
Later on he stumbles across ancient wall drawings of a young man who lookes very much like himself, and learns to know it was a prince.

Hall begins to think about destiny, about what he could be meant to do etc

This is how the film should be like. A nice little adventure flick, just not as light as Indiana Jones can be from time to time. It will help the film if the story takes itself a little more serious, and not just throw jokes around. When Hawkman appears on the screen, it should be cool, not make you laugh.
The sequel matter depends on the success, so it has to be REALLY good and well-done.

The after credits sequence could be a alien space rocket coming to earth....or some other thing giving hints about Thanagar.
The prince Khufu should not only be the first Hawkman, he should actually be from another planet. That is story material for the second film.

Last edited:
I've never read the comics, but from what I've heard there's a reincarnation angle with carter hall and shiera, i'd say emphasis that angle, as that seems like the most interesting.

The reincarnation angle is just what I want to put in the first film. If you read my post it's there, between the lines.

This makes me interested in it. Never thought it could be interesting before.

This is my idea how to make it work. Perhaps you don't agree with this being appealing to the general movie-goer.

The story should focus on archaeologist Carter Hall, who do some diggings in Egypt and during that finds a strange bird-like armour hidden in a secret chamber below the ground.
He soon understand that it gives powers to those who wear it.
Later on he stumbles across ancient wall drawings of a young man who lookes very much like himself, and learns to know it was a prince.

Hall begins to think about destiny, about what he could be meant to do etc

This is how the film should be like. A nice little adventure flick, just not as light as Indiana Jones can be from time to time. It will help the film if the story takes itself a little more serious, and not just throw jokes around. When Hawkman appears on the screen, it should be cool, not make you laugh.
The sequel matter depends on the success, so it has to be REALLY good and well-done.

The after credits sequence could be a alien space rocket coming to earth....or some other thing giving hints about Thanagar.
The prince Khufu should not only be the first Hawkman, he should actually be from another planet. That is story material for the second film.

Hmmm, I like it! Here are some thoughts on what I'd do/change:

- Carter Hall is introduced as the curator of a museum in his fictional city.
- He travels to Egypt for archaeological digs/explorations and finds the wings & the harness made from Nth metal.
- After having it sent back and studied (by himself) at his museum, he slips on the harness and discovers it grants him enhanced senses, enhanced physical strength and the ability of flight. He decides to keep it behind closed doors, for himself.
- This begins his whole superhero persona. He gets used to his powers and starts experimenting (e.g. he eventually uses a Mace from his museum as his weapon of choice).
- Now enter Dr. Fate. Dr. Fate comes to Carter one night and says something along the lines of "I've been waiting... I've been watching... I know your future, Carter Hall." He explains his past (e.g. the story of Prince Khufu, Princess Chay-Ara and the evil Hath-Set). After that, Dr. Fate grabs his wrist and teleports him to the discovery site of the armor. He shows a room that previously was connected to the armor room that depicts the story & Carter then can either suddenly 'remember' everything, or possibly Dr. Fate can pass the helm of Nabu to him (or maybe just touch his head?) so he realises that he is Prince Khufu and is forever to be reincarnated (including his rival Hath-Set and his Princess Chay-Ara).
- Dr. Fate then explains to him that Hath-Set is currently stuck as a spirit and has the ability to control the minds of people.
- Carter then starts donning the superhero name of Hawkman and fights off several mind-controlled people.
- Eventually, Hath-Set takes a physical form after obtaining something and battles Carter.
- After being defeated, Carter returns to the dig site only to find a woman who was drawn to the place. He realizes she is Princess Chay-Ara ('Sheira'). She realizes that he's the person she has been dreaming of.
- The film ends, with Carter creating Hawkgirl's armor and Sheira practicing flying with Carter's harness & wings.
- Post-credit scene: another villain or like you said Thanagar.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I like it! Here are some thoughts on what I'd do/change:

- Carter Hall is introduced as the curator of a museum in his fictional city.
- He travels to Egypt for archaeological digs/explorations and finds the wings & the harness made from Nth metal.
- After having it sent back and studied (by himself) at his museum, he slips on the harness and discovers it grants him enhanced senses, enhanced physical strength and the ability of flight. He decides to keep it behind closed doors, for himself.
- This begins his whole superhero persona. He gets used to his powers and starts experimenting (e.g. he eventually uses a Mace from his museum as his weapon of choice).
- Now enter Dr. Fate. Dr. Fate comes to Carter one night and says something along the lines of "I've been waiting... I've been watching... I know your future, Carter Hall." He explains his past (e.g. the story of Prince Khufu, Princess Chay-Ara and the evil Hath-Set). After that, Dr. Fate grabs his wrist and teleports him to the discovery site of the armor. He shows a room that previously was connected to the armor room that depicts the story & Carter then can either suddenly 'remember' everything, or possibly Dr. Fate can pass the helm of Nabu to him (or maybe just touch his head?) so he realises that he is Prince Khufu and is forever to be reincarnated (including his rival Hath-Set and his Princess Chay-Ara).
- Dr. Fate then explains to him that Hath-Set is currently stuck as a spirit and has the ability to control the minds of people.
- Carter then starts donning the superhero name of Hawkman and fights off several mind-controlled people.
- Eventually, Hath-Set takes a physical form after obtaining something and battles Carter.
- After being defeated, Carter returns to the dig site only to find a woman who was drawn to the place. He realizes she is Princess Chay-Ara ('Sheira'). She realizes that he's the person she has been dreaming of.
- The film ends, with Carter creating Hawkgirl's armor and Sheira practicing flying with Carter's harness & wings.
- Post-credit scene: another villain or like you said Thanagar.

Your idea is better.

DeadAgain has a really good suggestion there. But it is not too far from my own vision, only more developped and detailed :)
Carter Hall should be earth-bound in the first film. Not any connecton at all to Thanagar. The plot will be fantastical enough for the audience, I believe. It should have a little element of fantasy, with ancient Egypt and reincarnation. More magic than science.
Also it will be a little complicated for the beginning of the Hawkman origin story with Carter both being a egyptian prince and policeman from another planet.
I even wonder if he will mention/understand that the Nth metal is alien and not from here.
Actually, Dr Fate can be allowed to say something about visitors from the sky, or gods from the stars, coming to help us build the pyramids etc, but not reveal that Khufu was one of them.

I have an idea in mind about why the space ship should suddenly come here. As soon as the armour is being used in flight or a battle, or just simply worn - it sends a signal right across the universe to Thanagar. Perhaps the people there have waited to hear from Katar Hol again.

A space-themed sequel will make the story rise to a higher level. Carter Hall is going to learn more about his destiny, getting a bigger overview of the picture.

Wow, I think this sounds greater than ever. As long as Hawkman exists in a dimension without any of the big DC Comics heroes being mentioned or appearing in cameos or background photos - it will be extremely cool. Hawkman should be one of a kind, with nobody else like him.

Last edited:
I've never read the comics, but from what I've heard there's a reincarnation angle with carter hall and shiera, i'd say emphasis that angle, as that seems like the most interesting.

The reincarnation angle is just what I want to put in the first film. If you read my post it's there, between the lines.

Great idea. The reincarnation angle could add some romance and intrigue to the story. The leveraging of the ancient Egypt aspect of the mythology could make for an epic first/second act along the lines of Cleopatra and Hath-Set/Carl Sands/Shadow Thief could be the timeless overarching villain in the storyline. Someone made the correlation between this angle and "Stargate", but there are other stories/films this parallels (namely "Cleopatra" and "Aida"). You could also use the space element of Thanagar as your prelude/first act to show that there are other hawk-men and that Katar and Chay-Ara were chosen to bring the Shadow Thief to justice, getting caught up in the endless reincarnation time paradox in the process. What also needs to be done is the developement of the SfX and VfX of his flight as well as his choice and use of weapons.

dnno1: Thanagar already in the first film? Not only magic and egyptian mythology?

Then I guess it should be about 3 h long, to cover as much as possible.

dnno1: Thanagar already in the first film? Not only magic and egyptian mythology?

Then I guess it should be about 3 h long, to cover as much as possible.

Yes and yes. You can use Thanagar as a prelude to explain and tie in why there is the reincarnation. It will aslo explain why there is nth metal (a native element of Thanagar), how it is used to dispel magic, and why the native Egyptians worshiped Katar/Kofu and Cha-Ara/Shiera. It doesn't have to be very long, but just to introduce the planet and how the two Hawkmen were in pursuit of a criminal and well and explain the connection between the magic and the technology. The chase could lead to an accident that creates this resurrection anomaly among the three of them as well as why Katar and Cha-Ara became pharaoh and queen once they got stranded on Earth.

You can use Thanagar as a prelude to explain and tie in why there is the reincarnation. It will aslo explain why there is nth metal (a native element of Thanagar), how it is used to dispel magic, and why the native Egyptians worshiped Katar/Kofu and Cha-Ara/Shiera. It doesn't have to be very long, but just to introduce the planet and how the two Hawkmen were in pursuit of a criminal and well and explain the connection between the magic and the technology. The chase could lead to an accident that creates this resurrection anomaly among the three of them as well as why Katar and Cha-Ara became pharaoh and queen once they got stranded on Earth.
How about saving all of that for a sequel? I mean, come on. Isn't it enough with the fact that Carter's soul lived in the body of an egyptian prince in ancient times? Just that can make a huge part of the plot. Why should we bring up the alien roots when the space element alone can be the main focus of another film.
Is it good to cram everything into just one film? Then perhaps LOTR should not have been a trilogy, just one or two.

No I rather have the mystery of the suit and the powers. Maybe it should even have an old-fashioned feel to its design. It's been several thousand years since it was used last time. And since there aren't any other heroes around, the abilities including flight and strenght must be breathtaking to experience for Carter Hall.
When we visit Thanagar in the second film, then we can see that their suits have developped a lot. Same Hawk-like features, but waaaay more high tech.

Last edited:
How about saving all of that for a sequel? I mean, come on. Isn't it enough with the fact that Carter's soul lived in the body of an egyptian prince in ancient times? Just that can make a huge part of the plot. Why should we bring up the alien roots when the space element alone can be the main focus of another film.
Is it good to cram everything into just one film? Then perhaps LOTR should not have been a trilogy, just one or two.

True. The space element can make up a sequel (and that can be done as well), but just introducing it in a prelude (and that can amount to just a chase scene with a reference the the fact that they are Thanagarians) not only plants the seed for a sequel, but also helps to explain why there is nth metal and the fact that they get reincarnated (note that the chase scene would take place thousands of years in the past). You do understand what I am describing right?

No I rather have the mystery of the suit and the powers. Maybe it should even have an old-fashioned feel to its design. It's been several thousand years since it was used last time. And since there aren't any other heroes around, the abilities including flight and strenght must be breathtaking to experience for Carter Hall.
When we visit Thanagar in the second film, then we can see that their suits have developped a lot. Same Hawk-like features, but waaaay more high tech.

Sure there can be this mystery about the suit and the power, but you still need to get certain elements here on Earth beforhand (nth metal doesn't exist on Earth, how did it get here? - these are questions the astute general audience will ask). This is why I am suggesting the prelude chase scene from Thanagar where you can get those elements to Earth and set up the rest of the story.

Yes, I can see the prelude in my mind now, in some way. But I think letting the audience know that Khufu was one of the aliens, should be saved. He could just be "egyptian prince", that will be enough for the first film. The ancient wall drawing of Carter/Khufu should still be there, to make him full of wonder. And he should find it before the mysterious Dr Fate tell him about the reincarnation (as someone suggested).

Of course comic book fans know about him coming from Thanagar anyway. But in a blockbuster adventure, it can be revealed at the same time as Carter learns the truth, that he wasn't from around here.
In other words, let there be a second film.

How about that?

What's so cool about Hawkman? Is he any better than Aquaman?

What's so cool about Hawkman? Is he any better than Aquaman?

They're both great characters. Well, Hawkman usually gets screwed over in the writing department. But he and Aquaman both have huge potential.

Also, PWN3R that's a lot of profanity.

I like both Hawk and Aqua, and both should be films.

That youtube clip was funny, but I guess they tend to be a little mean here and there.
I guess Hawkman live action isn't longer as far fetched as it was before, now that Green Lantern is coming.

Last edited:
Yes, I can see the prelude in my mind now, in some way. But I think letting the audience know that Khufu was one of the aliens, should be saved. He could just be "egyptian prince", that will be enough for the first film. The ancient wall drawing of Carter/Khufu should still be there, to make him full of wonder. And he should find it before the mysterious Dr Fate tell him about the reincarnation (as someone suggested).

Of course comic book fans know about him coming from Thanagar anyway. But in a blockbuster adventure, it can be revealed at the same time as Carter learns the truth, that he wasn't from around here.
In other words, let there be a second film.

How about that?

The thing I fear with going with it that way is that it could make the film look like the Highlander franchise. It started out in the past and then worked its way to present time in the first film and it turned out to be a great film. When the sequel comes around they introduce the fact that our protagonist, Connor Mac Leod is actually from another planet and it makes the film a disappointment. I think that introducing the fact that Katar/Khufu and Cha-Ara/Shiera are from another planet in the first film establishes continuity for the next film and avoids the confusion.

Yeah, it was a bit mean. :D I guess Hawkman could work, only I don't see his costume working in modern world. Guess they have to tweak it like they did Thor's.

The thing I fear with going with it that way is that it could make the film look like the Highlander franchise. It started out in the past and then worked its way to present time in the first film and it turned out to be a great film. When the sequel comes around they introduce the fact that our protagonist, Connor Mac Leod is actually from another planet and it makes the film a disappointment. I think that introducing the fact that Katar/Khufu and Cha-Ara/Shiera are from another planet in the first film establishes continuity for the next film and avoids the confusion.

I think the problem is you're asking the audience to suspend disbelief with two things, 1) reincarnation and 2) aliens. Both have to be explained sufficiently and organically. It's quite a challenge for a screenwriter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"