Comics How was FNSM this week?

ragingdemon155

Superhero
Joined
May 31, 2002
Messages
5,476
Reaction score
1,456
Points
103
Passed it up this week again. Just curious how was it? Was it worth picking up?
 
No, it was all set up, basically Ben is from an alternate uni where Aunt May died, and Peter became an ass because of it. Anyway Ben somehow stumbles in 616 uni and runs into Peter, and than Hobgoblin 2011 shows up

Really boring, the scenario has been done to death many many times, and I don't give two ****s about any Hobgoblin who doesn't have the last name Kingsley

Thinking about dropping this, along with Unlimited (Sheesh that was awful)
 
Citizen_Kaine said:
No, it was all set up, basically Ben is from an alternate uni where Aunt May died, and Peter became an ass because of it. Anyway Ben somehow stumbles in 616 uni and runs into Peter, and than Hobgoblin 2011 shows up

Really boring, the scenario has been done to death many many times, and I don't give two ****s about any Hobgoblin who doesn't have the last name Kingsley

Thinking about dropping this, along with Unlimited (Sheesh that was awful)

Well that answers that.

Heh and to think...PAD was supposed to be the "saviour" for the 616 Spider titles. Damn it's a shame FNSM has been so lackluster, I was really looking forward to it.

FNSM #5 was amazing though and I loved it. But after that...nothing in the near future for FNSM seems to really be capturing my attention.
 
Well I aint quiting it baby.
It's all about those tasty full runs, even if they ain't that tasty right now.
 
Another padded out arc. It figures. Well, i'm looking forward to seeing what Loeb & Campbell can do.
 
This' why I said not to praise PAD before issue 1 ever freakin' came out. 'Cause based on Claremont's Uncanny & Miller's All-Star performance, there was a clear indication that some of these guys can't return to characters they once made good with th' same quality. An' so far, PAD's makin' me glad I read all his earlier Spidey's BEFORE pickin' up this series.
 
WOLVERINE25TH said:
This' why I said not to praise PAD before issue 1 ever freakin' came out. 'Cause based on Claremont's Uncanny & Miller's All-Star performance, there was a clear indication that some of these guys can't return to characters they once made good with th' same quality. An' so far, PAD's makin' me glad I read all his earlier Spidey's BEFORE pickin' up this series.

*vomits on keyboard*

I could have done without ever hearing about All Star Batman & Robin again. What a horrible book.

As for FNSM, I'm dropping it when I go up to the shop this Saturday. I hate to do it, as I love 'Ringo's artwork, but I can't contribute money to a book that has that bad a story behind it.

It's just over. That leaves me with Sensational and Ultimate.
 
Atleast there is Sensational, bar the costume change that is a fine book.
 
Dangerous said:
Atleast there is Sensational, bar the costume change that is a fine book.

I agree. Sensationl has been very good the first couple of issues. A little upset that I have to look at that Iron Spidey costume for the rest of the arc though. Hope that doesn't destroy it for me.:mad:
 
I think all of the books would be 25% less painful to read if we didn't have to stare at that eyesore....:mad:
 
I can't believe how disappointed I was... not just with this, but, pretty much with EVERYTHING I bought yesterday. I spent $17+ on 5 comics (CW1, FNSM, SMUL, USM, MASM) and the ONLY one that gave me pleasure was (surprisingly) Marvel Adventures Spider-Man.

FNSM SPOILERS:

Most have seen the preview pages... Peter comes home to find, not Uncle Ben murdered, but Aunt May being carried off by an ambulance. She died falling down a flight of stairs.

Later, a tearful Peter and Uncle Ben are at the cemetary. This is where the story hits its first sour note... Ben moans to Peter ""She did the thinking for both of us. I've got no knack for handling money... what little we'd get in. Don't know how I'm going to pay the bills now."

WHAT? HUH? I never pictured Uncle Ben... Mr "with great power comes great responsibility" being such an addled wuss. He's worried that he's too irresponsible to pay the bills?! Right.

Peter immediately takes over... tough talking... here's how it's going to be, so get with the program uncle... He tells Ben he's Spider-Man, makes Ben his agent and goes into show business.

Fast forward months (may-be a year or two) Ben and Peter are in the living room of their home. Ben is answering Peter's fan mail and Peter is reading the paper. They get into an argument because Ben thinks Peter should help answer the mail and Peter says "Farm it out to someone who cares." Ben replies, "you used to care..." Peter responds shouting "I said I didn't want to do this, for the love of..." and with that he SMASHES a table. Just happened to be the first peice of furniture May and Ben bought as a couple... The argument continued, Peter acting spoiled and Ben being a doormat.

It make me feel icky to see Peter, my hero, act like such a self-centered jerk, and then my sense of logic kicked in and the whole thing just seemed too false. :mad:

I just can't buy that, even under these circumstances, Peter would have become such a BRAT, the way he is portrayed here. The reason Uncle Ben's death made a difference in Peter's life was because he had a fairly sensitive conscience to begin with. He was a basically GOOD person that got side-tracked, and was open to the lesson when it came. Another person, would have been all, too bad, so sad, and gone on with show business.

Peter then moves out of their house, gets another agent and apparently never calls home. We later see Ben trying to get a call through to Peter with no luck. Another scene has him going to a "Spider-Man" movie.

He's walking home thinking about the birthday present Peter had sent him... that it was obviously sent by a secretary, because his name was spelled wrong, but at least he had remembered to write the date down... He looks up and finds that his house has burned down!

Ben flags down a cop and, you guessed it, finds out that he has somehow stumbled into someone else's life... The house burned awhile back and "Ben" died several years ago... Alarmed, Ben walks quickly away from the cops and goes to the cemetary where he sees his own grave. It is there that the Hobgoblin appears to him.

Hobby says "think of me as the ghost of Spider-Man's past, present... and future... all rolled into one. So how about it Ben Parker. To see your wife and nephew? What would you give for that opportunity?" "Anything" he says. And with that Hobby grabs him and flys away.

The next scene is Spider-Man (our Iron-Spidey) on a cell phone, taking to Jarvis who is in the restaurant. Jarvis tells him what happened, that May is upset and wants to leave. Jarvis is preventing that because he is afraid it could be an enemy of Spider-Man trying to trick them. (Can tell he's been hanging around super heroes for awhile!)

Spider-Man goes in the direction Ben was seen walking and catches up to him. He thinks he is a brilliant imposter, but is really startled when Ben says, "Peter, is that you under there?"

Hobby throws a pumkin bomb at them which Spidey avoids. Holding onto Ben, they look up and see the Hobgoblin hovering above them... "Excellent reflexes! Better than any of your successors! And believe me. I've faced a number of them. See time is always on my side, what with my being the Hobgoblin from the year 2011!" To be continued....

Like I said... I did not buy - or want to see - Peter acting like such an a-hole. Left a really bad taste in my mouth. And I'm NOT into the current, multi-title plot line, that has Peter being just ONE of MANY Spider-Men. Makes him unspecial... less unique... I don't like it. I'm also not into time travel on this level. But after the first two strikes, it was a minor beef.

I seriously doubt I will pick up the next issue. :(
 
Doubt if the Iron Spidey suit wasn't there that people would be complaining less. People in general would just fill the void with something else. Don't just single out the new suit as source of problems.
 
Effect said:
Doubt if the Iron Spidey suit wasn't there that people would be complaining less. People in general would just fill the void with something else. Don't just single out the new suit as source of problems.

The suit sucks. It's not the problem with the books, but it doesn't help. It's a constant reminder of a bad storyline, and Peter flying around with it on doesn't help.

The writing, constant continuity errors, and total disregard for the character are everyone's main beefs. The costume is just a visible manifestation of said aberration.
 
That sounds horrible. Poor characterization, poor plot. And Peter David was the chosen one.
 
Eh, I can buy that Pete in another universe would have been a jerk. Pete in this uni has been a jerk, but it's lessened a lot over time. If he never learned the "great power, etc." lesson, he probably would have become someone I wouldn't want to know. As for Uncle Ben coming across as incompetent, I'm at a loss for words on that and the only paltry explanation I can think of is that it;s just another universe, so he would be different there, too. *shrug*

This story reads so much like a What If? that it's hard to get into.
 
What is PAD planning for FNSM after this "Hobgoblin" arc going on right now?
 
ragingdemon155 said:
What is PAD planning for FNSM after this "Hobgoblin" arc going on right now?

I don't know. The solicits for July still have this craptastic arc going on.
 
shinlyle said:
I don't know. The solicits for July still have this craptastic arc going on.

Meh....Damn

heh heh, laughing at all the suckers that thought PAD was here to save the day.:D

I was one of them though....:(
 
LarryLegend said:
That sounds horrible. Poor characterization, poor plot. And Peter David was the chosen one.

13.jpg


"You were The Chosen One!

It was said that you would destory Joey Q and JMS, not join them!

Bring balance to Marvel Comics, not leave it in ****tiness!"
 
Next, you should put a picture of Anakin saying:

"You're just afraid of CHANGE!!"
 
Mara Jane said:
Eh, I can buy that Pete in another universe would have been a jerk. Pete in this uni has been a jerk, but it's lessened a lot over time. If he never learned the "great power, etc." lesson, he probably would have become someone I wouldn't want to know. As for Uncle Ben coming across as incompetent, I'm at a loss for words on that and the only paltry explanation I can think of is that it;s just another universe, so he would be different there, too. *shrug*

This story reads so much like a What If? that it's hard to get into.

Yeah... Peter has had his moments of self-absorbed insensitivity... but they tend to be short lived and he typically repents.

When I think of someone who had it all, powers and popularity, I think of Jonny Storm. He started off with less depth and sensitivity than Peter, and he didn't become a jerk to this level.

What ARE the rules here with the "time" thing? Are these different universes? Hobby didn't say anything about that... just referred to the past, present and future... But we know that if you change the past, you alter the future, right? But how could May dying, instead of Ben, be an alteration of the past, when she is NOW in a restaurant with Jarvis. :(

You know... this is like a "What if..." that is a big "So what."

But I have to add, THE ART WAS GOOD! Ringo did a great job. Nice to see him back.
 
Is anybody else wondering just how Uncle Ben literally walked from his "What If" dimension into the 616? Maybe PAD took inspiration from that Star Trek: The Next Generation episode where Worf kept popping into quantum realities. Hopefully, it will be explained, but I have a feeling that, even after this arc is over, there's going to be more of this "temporal displacement" going on in Spidey's world.
 
stillanerd said:
Is anybody else wondering just how Uncle Ben literally walked from his "What If" dimension into the 616? Maybe PAD took inspiration from that Star Trek: The Next Generation episode where Worf kept popping into quantum realities. Hopefully, it will be explained, but I have a feeling that, even after this arc is over, there's going to be more of this "temporal displacement" going on in Spidey's world.

heh I love that episode.:)
 
Spider-Man deals with petty thugs, crimelords, and science-based nutjobs in kooky costumes, not time travel, quantum realities, or magic.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,771
Messages
21,808,691
Members
45,627
Latest member
WolverineHunt01
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"