BvS How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I don't think that Affleck should even try to "top" any of the previous incarnations of Batman, just as Cavill didn't try to "top" Reeve. Both Christian Bale and Michael Keaton are definitive Batmen to a great many fans, and seeing as how the purpose of this film is not to explore Batman's gradual development as a character, I am inclined to believe that we will not get a portrayal that is even remotely similar to the existing ones.

I personally would love to see BatFleck as this Dionysian force to be reckoned with. Just as Goyer and Nolan wrote in The Joker in TDK, give that role to Batman in this one. A sort of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns retold through the eyes of Superman, where Batman is an unstoppable and uncompromising force who shows Clark just how far the human spirit can go despite having physical limitations.

On that note, if there would be a catch-theme in the film, it could be "limitations" -- Superman explores the things that limits him as a public hero which Batman doesn't have to deal with (assuming he is public enemy #1 from the get-go, save for a few who feel that Superman isn't the hero he is meant to be), the limitations he feels regarding his own humanity in a world where he is utterly exposed and his only civilian identity is "fake" (until he learns a thing or two from Bruce about "secret identities" and I dunno, maybe a throw-in line about how his dad would've approved of it) and then you have Clark dealing with his physical limitations (Kryptonite) just as Batman and the rest of humanity is once faced against the reality of a "Superman" walking among us.

In many ways, if Snyder manages to make this less spectacle-laden and maybe get Ben Affleck or Watchmen-scribe David Hayter to polish the script, it could be the movie that surprises everyone on a much deeper level. I think a part of MoS that was flawed is that the script assumed people would take its universe very seriously from the get-go, that's something Snyder always assumes in all of his movies. Look at 300 or Sucker Punch or Watchmen and you see that he assumes that comic-book / pop-cultural sensibilities would be appreciated on the same serious level as high-art. Nolan did the same with his Dark Knight Trilogy, but he never forgot that at the end of the day all of this "seriousness" in the script has to come naturally. When TDK started off it was true-blue action noir flick, but the more you saw of the Joker and Dent the more you started to get into those deeper philosophical dilemmas about chaos and order and what not. In the middle you had Batman trying to find that balance. I am not counting on a Batman-exploration like that, I'd however love to see how the iconography of these two heroes play out. Maybe Snyder gets an advantage this time because we already have a legacy established for both Batman and Superman. But if he wants to make his film serious, he needs to start from a not-so-serious place and then gradually get into it.

For Batman, that's seen by introducing him as a generic force or outsider or "unspoken" champion for the audience, and then gradually showing us how dangerous Batman really is. The portrayal should be about Batman as a threat, as a potential menace, as someone whose very existence threatens a lot of the things that Superman is struggling to defend. I don't think that the portryal that Bale put on, as this human being struggling to become a symbol of fear and hope applies to this one. This should be mythical, urban-legend Batman. Not humanistic Batman. This should really be a Batman we are all slightly afraid of.

...because even Superman isn't capable of stopping him.

Give him white-eyes and I guarantee you people will stack him above everyone else. I think visually, thanks to a director like Snyder, we'll have the best Batman to date.

Write a great Batman and make sure the actor you chose fits THIS context of the character/world. Done and done.

Give him white-eyes and I guarantee you people will stack him above everyone else. I think visually, thanks to a director like Snyder, we'll have the best Batman to date.

Give him the white eyes and the fanboys will
tumblr_msfgz8NCjh1s48ibpo1_400.gif

Give him a great martial arts and detective ability AND voice, and fanboys will :wow:

Give him a great costume, fighting ability, analytical intellect, voice, AND have him hold his own or do a really good job as Wayne, and most of us will be wondering why we wanted anyone else in the role.

Even as a big supporter of going for a comic-style costume for this film, I think it's highly unlikely we'll see the white lenses on the costume. It's not something that I think is going to make or break how a larger audience than the most minutae-obsessed of fanboys stacks Affleck amongst the all-time great movie Batmen. And from a filmmaker's perspective, the pros of getting comics accuracy brownie points would in all probability be far outweighed by the cons of losing so much of the ability to express emotion under the cowl that visible eyes allows for. Besides, we got a nod to the white lenses in the climactic setpiece of The Dark Knight, and though I was fine with it, I remember quite a few people calling it out as goofy in live action.

That said, it's not like I'm dead set against the inclusion of white lenses. If I'm wrong and they're part of the costume, I certainly won't object. I just think people should temper their expectations of it happening.

That's why they should be toggled on and off. The white lenses allow for a tracking mode for criminals, while having them off allows Batman to relax his eyes or emote. Although seeing Batman yell with white eyes would be petrifying (and awesome!)

Besides, we got a nod to the white lenses in the climactic setpiece of The Dark Knight, and though I was fine with it, I remember quite a few people calling it out as goofy in live action.
Well, because it did. It was exactly what the lenses were not supposed to be. Having it so large and bulbous looks incredibly awkward in real life.

With how advanced Bruce is in resources, and us being on the cusp of actual wearable contact lens tech, they should just take that a step further. I thought this looked pretty damn nice:

benaffleck_as_batman_by_guat-d6jcc9r.jpg

Have it turn opaque if he needs to use some night-vision or plain intimidate, and have it clear otherwise. Best of both worlds. Functions as a means of concealment and practicality (think the Arkham Asylum games).

Well, because it did. It was exactly what the lenses were not supposed to be. Having it so large and bulbous looks incredibly awkward in real life.

With how advanced Bruce is in resources, and us being on the cusp of actual wearable contact lens tech, they should just take that a step further. I thought this looked pretty damn nice:

benaffleck_as_batman_by_guat-d6jcc9r.jpg

Have it turn opaque if he needs to use some night-vision or plain intimidate, and have it clear otherwise. Best of both worlds. Functions as a means of concealment and practicality (think the Arkham Asylum games).

Yep. Though I do want him to show anger with his REAL eyes from time to time. That's why I like idea of it bothering his eyes a little bit, and having to switch it off every minute or so.

Riddick-Trailer-1.jpg

I like that manip. The TDK white-eyes was alright by me, I would've loved to see it more, though traditionally speaking you don't really need to explain it at all and just use CGI on his eyes. It'd work just fine and distinguish it from previous live-action Batmen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually more of a supporter of the cowl where you can see his eyes, it actually makes him scarier, but if they make it at least in the same way as Daredevil's eyes were red in that film, I'd be sold.

I dunno, I actually liked Daredevil. Not as quality-film, but as a rather entertaining comic-adaptation. I think Affleck did a great job there. But hey I also loved Ang Lee's Hulk so I dunno if I'm of the minority here or not.

Even as a big supporter of going for a comic-style costume for this film, I think it's highly unlikely we'll see the white lenses on the costume. It's not something that I think is going to make or break how a larger audience than the most minutae-obsessed of fanboys stacks Affleck amongst the all-time great movie Batmen. And from a filmmaker's perspective, the pros of getting comics accuracy brownie points would in all probability be far outweighed by the cons of losing so much of the ability to express emotion under the cowl that visible eyes allows for. Besides, we got a nod to the white lenses in the climactic setpiece of The Dark Knight, and though I was fine with it, I remember quite a few people calling it out as goofy in live action.

That said, it's not like I'm dead set against the inclusion of white lenses. If I'm wrong and they're part of the costume, I certainly won't object. I just think people should temper their expectations of it happening.

I'm not holding it as a definite possibility, but I admit I do love Snyder's character designs more than Nolan's or even Whedon's. I think that at least visually speaking, I feel confident that Snyder's adaptation of Batman in live-action will look its best.

That's why they should be toggled on and off. The white lenses allow for a tracking mode for criminals, while having them off allows Batman to relax his eyes or emote. Although seeing Batman yell with white eyes would be petrifying (and awesome!)

That's another thing about Snyder -- this he didn't exactly sell his ability to direct "subtlety" in any of his films. And it's all good. Maybe Batman can do with less-subtlety this time around.

I posted this in the other thread, but here it is again:

bartlemanandloki_zps08d85666.gif

^ that should've been Christian Bale. Damn it, some one get Frank Miller to turn that into a live-action Bat-Parody already.

I've never liked the white eyes, they just look weird to me. Plus, I think that being able to see his eyes under the cowl actually makes him more intimidating.

Isn't Batman supposed to look weird ;)

But I think it's more filmic to show the pupils, and shows the range of the actor better. Though I'd want the eye whites at key moments. Maybe 80 percent real eyes, 20 percent "no pupils."

Isn't Batman supposed to look weird ;)

But I think it's more filmic to show the pupils, and shows the range of the actor better. Though I'd want the eye whites at key moments. Maybe 80 percent real eyes, 20 percent "no pupils."[/QUOTE
No, he's supposed to look scary and imposing, not goofy.

you can see batman whole jaw and mouth so covering his eyes with white wont mess with emotions

I think the "white eyes" should be the 'heat vision' of Batman on film. And we all know how awesome that looked.
4FhwaXM.jpg

But I still say SPARINGLY. And I think he should have normal eyes when talking to friends.

They should do what Greg Capullo is doing with Batman and give him special contact lenses that link up to the batcomputer so he can analyse things without using any special goggles or headgear. They could do that and have them glow at certain parts in the nighttime for effect but when he's doing talking scenes or dramatic scenes the lens light is off so you get to see his eyes normally.

They should do what Greg Capullo is doing with Batman and give him special contact lenses that link up to the batcomputer so he can analyse things without using any special goggles or headgear. They could do that and have them glow at certain parts in the nighttime for effect but when he's doing talking scenes or dramatic scenes the lens light is off so you get to see his eyes normally.
Didn't Val Kilmer's Batman use something similar to that at the end of BF when he destroyed Riddler's brain sucking machine?

I trust Snyder in his casting; he has an impressive track record. After all, he selected Jackie Earle Haley for Watchmen, which resulted in the best performance in comic book cinema (tied with Ledger's Joker.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"