Hulk fans opinion of Ultimate Avengers

Nivek

Avenger
Reaction score
Okay, let me just say this right now, Im writing this as a Hulk fan, not an Ultimates fan. I've made my comments in the past about my distaste with Miller making Hulk a cannibalistic mass muderer and attempted rapist. No sir, dont like it, and it's quite a few shades of typical "edgy" character reinvents. Im sure some of you agree with me, it's an Abomination (pun int.).

Lets get on with it... I'd give it a 7/10 as an animated feature, but a 9/10 as a Hulk fan. Is it good or what, is what your probobly asking without too many spoilers. Well, as a Hulk fan, the cartoon is better than the damn comic. Why? They dont f**k with Hulk. He's our Hulk, Gamma Bomb born, brought on by anger Incredible Hulk who Banner tries to use Cap's blood to control the Raging Beast. And when the Hulk comes out (with a Grey-green skin and red and green eyes), he goes to town kicking everyones a$$. I was very happy with his Thor face of, and Hulk fans, you see where the produsers loyalties lay in that little squabble. And he doesn't eat anyone, thanks in no part to it being marketed toward young children, and theres only a slight reference to him killing. But he's 10 ft. tall, and just plows through everything, even talks a bit before he gets too wound up. The best scenes of him attacking Pym and taking him down are in here, and his show down with Cap is pretty cool (also helps that Cap's is alot stronger and tougher here). nd Michael Massee (FunBoy to you Crow fans) takes some getting used to as Banner. To me, he sounds kinda like William Defoe, but I didn't think he was all that bad, better than the usual voice actors they cast for Bruce, who sound like soap actors not 130 lbs. scientists. He does an O.K. job, this is probobly the dorkiest you've ever seen portrayed.

But overall, the storyline is fundimentally the first arc of The Ultimates, the biggest change is the Hulk himself and his placement to the story. I like how some of the characters are played by the voice actors, but I still dont dig Samuel L. Fury, it's just stupid PC crap. The animation is spotty, almost going between Aeon Flux/X-men Evolution/ GI JOE animation styles at times. The action is pretty smooth, and theres a couple "Hmph, thats pretty dark" moments dotted through it.

A But it's a pretty entertaining cartoon, and as a biased hulk fan, I'll probobly get it.

Curious to hear other thoughts...

As a Hulk fan, I really enjoyed it.
I was afraid they were going to weaken him to make more of an annoyance to the group, but thankfully, they gave Hulk fans the real Hulk (in my eyes).

Without being too spoilerish,
the movie's threat throughout is an advanced alien race, sort of like ID4.

The entire team, sans Hulk, can barely deal with them.

Enter Hulk and in a few short minutes, makes short work of them and everybody else, and I mean everybody.

Thor, Iron Man, and shockingly, the star of the show, Caps get sent to the infirmary when the dust settles.
Of course, I loved every minute of it.
No cement trucks taking down the jade giant!

Nivek said:
I like how some of the characters are played by the voice actors, but I still dont dig Samuel L. Fury, it's just stupid PC crap.
Stupid PC crap? Have you even bothered to try and find out why Millar made Nick Fury black? Because he always pictured Nick Fury as being a Samuel L. Jackson type, the fact it added a bit of ethnic diversity was just a bonus.

Rex Calibur said:
Stupid PC crap? Have you even bothered to try and find out why Millar made Nick Fury black? Because he always pictured Nick Fury as being a Samuel L. Jackson type, the fact it added a bit of ethnic diversity was just a bonus.

Please, PC ethnic diversity has no place in with messing with established characters. It was a lame, pointless, and insulting to fan's who grew up reading about Nick Fury for years. They wanted to add a Samuel L. Jackson like character to the mythology, create a new character in his likeness, or use a long standing african american character like SHIELD agent Gabrial Jones to build on! Dont **** around with Nick Fury just to add "ethnic diversity" to the story.

Besides, I dont think much of Millers writing (especially in regards to how he handled Hulk) and the Ultimate Universe in general (Heroes Reborn pt. 2), and Im glad UA actually took liberties of his story and "fixed" certain characters and made them closer to the "616" universe.

Well I don't see your problem so much in the sense that this was not spouse to be your Nick Fury in the first place. If you want yours, he is in the 616 universe. Ultimates is a place to try something new.

Nivek said:
Please, PC ethnic diversity has no place in with messing with established characters.
And Millar didn't change Nick Fury for ethnic diversity, I already explained this.
It was a lame, pointless, and insulting to fan's who grew up reading about Nick Fury for years.{/QUOTE]Why? This is an alternate universe. They can still read their Nick Fury in other titles.
They wanted to add a Samuel L. Jackson like character to the mythology, create a new character in his likeness, or use a long standing african american character like SHIELD agent Gabrial Jones to build on! Dont **** around with Nick Fury just to add "ethnic diversity" to the story.
Firstly, you have clearly missed the point of the Ultimate Universe. Secondly, Millar didn't change Nick Fury because of ethnic diversity.

Besides, I dont think much of Millers writing (especially in regards to how he handled Hulk) and the Ultimate Universe in general (Heroes Reborn pt. 2), and Im glad UA actually took liberties of his story and "fixed" certain characters and made them closer to the "616" universe.
Do you even know what the Ultimate Universe is about? It's meant to be different! Why should it be closer to 616 Marvel? It's supposed to be different!

Rex Calibur said:
Why? This is an alternate universe. They can still read their Nick Fury in other titles. Firstly, you have clearly missed the point of the Ultimate Universe. Secondly, Millar didn't change Nick Fury because of ethnic diversity.

Alternate universe I can understand, making Fury into Shaft is just Dumb. And since you brought the "ethnic diversity" thing into it, then why did Fury get turned into a potential likeness lawsuit? Because he thinks Samuel L. Jackson is cooler than the original character many of us have known and followed for years? Thats even Lamer than needing a token black guy in the cast.

Rex Calibur said:
Do you even know what the Ultimate Universe is about? It's meant to be different!

Like the Hulk wanting to rape Betty, and killing and eating people? Thats not different, thats just dumb, trendy attempts at shocking depictions of beloved characters. Turned me off, and alot other of fans as well.

Rex Calibur said:
Why should it be closer to 616 Marvel? It's supposed to be different!

Well, your going to be dissapointed then, cause the characters are closer to Traditional Marvel, not Trendy Marvel.

Nivek said:
Alternate universe I can understand, making Fury into Shaft is just Dumb. And since you brought the "ethnic diversity" thing into it, then why did Fury get turned into a potential likeness lawsuit? Because he thinks Samuel L. Jackson is cooler than the original character many of us have known and followed for years? Thats even Lamer than needing a token black guy in the cast.
You just don't get it, do you? This isn't supposed to be 616 Nick Fury all over again. So what if Ultimate Nick Fury is Samuel L. Jackson? It's ULTIMATE Nick Fury. Not regular Nick Fury. Don't compare the two.

Like the Hulk wanting to rape Betty, and killing and eating people? Thats not different, thats just dumb,
In your opinion.
trendy attempts at shocking depictions of beloved characters. Turned me off, and alot other of fans as well.
Millar wanted to take Hulk's childlike mind to the extreme. Hulk has always been a creature guided by emotion (anger being the most prominent), and a child believes what he/she likes is the way to go. Hulk sees nothing wrong with rape or canniballism, because he likes it. This isn't a method of being 'trendy'. It's Millar's take on the Hulk. But, you don't like it, so you make up stuff about it.

Well, your going to be dissapointed then, cause the characters are closer to Traditional Marvel, not Trendy Marvel.
No, I won't. Because i'm expecting an alternate universe which is a mix between Ultimate and 616. I'm not like you, who expects the opposite of what is being offered.

Rex Calibur said:
You just don't get it, do you? This isn't supposed to be 616 Nick Fury all over again. So what if Ultimate Nick Fury is Samuel L. Jackson? It's ULTIMATE Nick Fury. Not regular Nick Fury. Don't compare the two.

Whoever the character is, it's a lamer trend happy shadow of a better character, and the Ultimate Fury (much like many of these UU characters) falls short. No skin off my back, the UU isn't going to last another 2 years anyway.

I
Rex Calibur said:
In your opinion. Millar wanted to take Hulk's childlike mind to the extreme. Hulk has always been a creature guided by emotion (anger being the most prominent), and a child believes what he/she likes is the way to go. Hulk sees nothing wrong with rape or canniballism, because he likes it. This isn't a method of being 'trendy'. It's Millar's take on the Hulk. But, you don't like it, so you make up stuff about it.

See, you sound like you dont understand what the Hulk is (much like Miller, so I cant fault you that much) and if you actually read real Hulk comics, you would have a better understanding.

Make stuff up? Like what? Miller Ultimate Hulk is depicted as a attempted Rapist and Cannibal. That isn't made up.

Rex Calibur said:
No, I won't. Because i'm expecting an alternate universe which is a mix between Ultimate and 616. I'm not like you, who expects the opposite of what is being offered.

Well, after seeing it, I do agree it was a mix, but thank god it was less Ultimates and more reguler MU. Especially in regards to the Hulk.

Nivek said:
Whoever the character is, it's a lamer trend happy shadow of a better character, and the Ultimate Fury (much like many of these UU characters) falls short. No skin off my back, the UU isn't going to last another 2 years anyway.
You've just destroyed your own argument. The Ultimate universe is only five years old. Of course the characters won't be as developed as their 616 counterparts, which had 45 years to shine.

See, you sound like you dont understand what the Hulk is (much like Miller, so I cant fault you that much) and if you actually read real Hulk comics, you would have a better understanding.
I'm talking about ULTIMATE HULK.

Make stuff up? Like what? Miller Ultimate Hulk is depicted as a attempted Rapist and Cannibal. That isn't made up.
But you say Millar did it because it's 'trendy'.

Well, after seeing it, I do agree it was a mix, but thank god it was less Ultimates and more reguler MU. Especially in regards to the Hulk.
Well, that's your opinion.

Rex Calibur said:
That hasn't happened in the Ultimate comics, ever,

I realize that, I just was speaking to a general Hulk fan about how he is portrayed in an animated feature.

Dugath said:
Someone has some racial issues.
I assume you're talking to Nivek? Nivek may lack understanding of the ultimate universe, but don't confuse his dislike of black Fury with racism. He just thinks Nick Fury was made black to fill a racial quota, something which he doesn't like. If anything, he's complaining against racism.

But the point is, Nick Fury wasn't made black just so there was a black member on the team. He was turned into Samuel L. Jackson.

Rex Calibur said:
I assume you're talking to Nivek? Nivek may lack understanding of the ultimate universe, but don't confuse his dislike of black Fury with racism. He just thinks Nick Fury was made black to fill a racial quota, something which he doesn't like. If anything, he's complaining against racism.

uh...thank you? :confused:

No problems with race from me, I'm a multi mixed race mutt myself. As Rex pointed out, I feel the Ultimate Shaft character was thrown in because of being trendy and hip, and having a "high ranking brutha" to attract readers who equate that kinda thing to being inventive.

overall this was a good movie, but the last fight with Hulk was AWESOME!!!

Hulk owned EVERYONE in that fight, the way he beat up Giant man made me laugh (like when he punched him in the knee :D), it was brutal and over the top but not in a bad way. This was a good movie and Marvel should make more for sure... just with more detail

well, it's released today so...

Yeah, the Hulk kicked the Snot out of those Aliens, then took out everyone. Loved how the Hulk was depicted, no "rape betty" crap, no killing hundreds of people crap, no cannibalism crap. And even mentioned that he became the Hulk after being caight in a Gamma Explosion! No stupid hitch crap related to the Hulk, thank god.

How can the Ultimate Hulk lay waste to a city without killing hundreds?
The Ultimate Hulk ate people in a "warrior eats another warriors heart" kind of way, not cause he's really hungry.
Let's face it, Betty was really hot and never should have dressed that way!!! (JOKE!!!!)
Freddie Prinz Jr. indeed!!!

Hulk was the best part of this movie, and made it worth the money.

As for the Ultimate Universe, the Ultimates is one of the best titles EVER. Anyone who is against it obviously isn't reading it. And Ultimate Hulk isn't supposed to be like 616 Hulk at all. No Ultimate character is supposed to acurately represent their 616 counterpart, probably because that would defeat the purpose of an alterate universe.

I really liked how they did the Hulk in this movie. Well the whole movie was very good. I showed it to my Brother who's a huge Hulk fan, he loved it. He was screaming and cheering, especially when Hulk picked up mjolnir.

He and I still don't like how in the Ultimates comic Hulk's a villian, and Banner's a little too twitchy. I know it's a different look at him, but I'm getting use to it. Him eating people is hard to get used to. But I'm getting there, that new Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk scene with the cattle farm was hilarious!

I'm glad that I haven't read the comic if it's that screwed up. Taking a long time established character and turning them into a cannibal is ridiculous. Taking a long time established character that is loved by children and turning them into a rapist (or attempted rapist) is worse.

I started reading Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos about 40 years ago (it was the first comic I started to collect).....so I don't think that I really have to go into how disappointed I am in the changes of his character.

Yeah, Fury was kind of weak. Not only is the look wrong, the characterization was way off.

Hulk was pretty sweet, though, especially the fight with Thor.

Hulk was the best part of the movie. He whooped tham all real good. :up:

Nivek said:
Okay, let me just say this right now, Im writing this as a Hulk fan, not an Ultimates fan. I've made my comments in the past about my distaste with Miller making Hulk a cannibalistic mass muderer and attempted rapist. No sir, dont like it, and it's quite a few shades of typical "edgy" character reinvents. Im sure some of you agree with me, it's an Abomination (pun int.).

Lets get on with it... I'd give it a 7/10 as an animated feature, but a 9/10 as a Hulk fan. Is it good or what, is what your probobly asking without too many spoilers. Well, as a Hulk fan, the cartoon is better than the damn comic. Why? They dont f**k with Hulk. He's our Hulk, Gamma Bomb born, brought on by anger Incredible Hulk who Banner tries to use Cap's blood to control the Raging Beast. And when the Hulk comes out (with a Grey-green skin and red and green eyes), he goes to town kicking everyones a$$. I was very happy with his Thor face of, and Hulk fans, you see where the produsers loyalties lay in that little squabble. And he doesn't eat anyone, thanks in no part to it being marketed toward young children, and theres only a slight reference to him killing. But he's 10 ft. tall, and just plows through everything, even talks a bit before he gets too wound up. The best scenes of him attacking Pym and taking him down are in here, and his show down with Cap is pretty cool (also helps that Cap's is alot stronger and tougher here). nd Michael Massee (FunBoy to you Crow fans) takes some getting used to as Banner. To me, he sounds kinda like William Defoe, but I didn't think he was all that bad, better than the usual voice actors they cast for Bruce, who sound like soap actors not 130 lbs. scientists. He does an O.K. job, this is probobly the dorkiest you've ever seen portrayed.

But overall, the storyline is fundimentally the first arc of The Ultimates, the biggest change is the Hulk himself and his placement to the story. I like how some of the characters are played by the voice actors, but I still dont dig Samuel L. Fury, it's just stupid PC crap. The animation is spotty, almost going between Aeon Flux/X-men Evolution/ GI JOE animation styles at times. The action is pretty smooth, and theres a couple "Hmph, thats pretty dark" moments dotted through it.

A But it's a pretty entertaining cartoon, and as a biased hulk fan, I'll probobly get it.

Curious to hear other thoughts...

I don't like his little GRAY l;ook! T_T

I don't very much understand why the hulk lost control, but the fighting was great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"