Hulk fans opinion of Ultimate Avengers

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Nivek, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Rex Calibur

Rex Calibur Registered

But they didn't ruin anything. It's just an alternate vision of the characters.

2. Obi-Ron

Obi-Ron Deal with it

[bugsbunny]He don't know Hulk very well, do he?[/bugsbunny]

3. C. Lee

C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

I understand that it is an "alternate vision" of the characters....I just don't prefer some of them.

As I stated before, I have read Sgt. Fury for about 40 years....that is a long time to be familiar with a character. I grew up in a time when cowboys and WWII soldiers were two most admired tough guys there were...so having a WWII soldier as a comic book hero was great. As a kid, Fury was a more realistic hero to me than Spider-Man, Superman, or any other of the costumed guys. I had a chance to grow up to be a heroic military defender of my country......but the chances were pretty slim that I was actually sent to Earth from Krypton or would survive the radioactive bite of some arachnid. So .........when he is changed for the "Ultimates" comics....I am not in favor of it.

Also....the idea of showing "rape" in the middle of a comic book is hard for me to take. I understand that the "Ultimates" books are supposed to be geared more for the mature reader, fine, but that doesn't mean that many youngster will get hold of it. They are not made to look like "adult" books on the covers....so kids will and do get hold of them. The idea of showing rape (or attempted rape) is bad enough....but to have it perpetrated by a mainstream children friendly character.....one that is known and liked by many people and particularily kids.....is reprehensible.

To show that I am not totaly against the idea of changing characters....I think the portrayal of Thor in the movie is pretty good. I like that he doesn't wear the cape and helmet....I like the redesign of his hammer. His being an "Environmental" enforcer seems like a cool and funny idea too. I am also a huge Captain America fan.....and the upgrade of his costume was fine with me (at least it wasn't like the terrible first Reb Brown movie)....and the uniform he used in the WWII parts is darn cool too (I went and bought an action figure of that one to display).

4. The Kid

The Kid AMERICA FTW

Butt banner's medecine was working.

5. Rex Calibur

Rex Calibur Registered

So to make an alternate version of Hulk good, you have to take everything away that makes him an alternate version?

That's stupid.

6. Obi-Ron

Obi-Ron Deal with it

When the "alternate" stuff is crap, yes.

7. Nivek

Nivek Registered

Exactly. What Miller came up with was some kinda comic story a frat boy made up for what they think the Hulk is. The Hulk isn't a killer, and he doesn't brag about getting horney, and he doesn't eat people. Period. it's not kewl", it's lame weekend case of beer brainstorming by people who dont respect or understand the character they are using.

Im sure if DC had a reguler series where Superman was ripping criminals guts out, and burning them up with heat vision, people would be irate because Superman doesn't DO that. He could, but he doesn't. Period. But, like Ultimates, a good deal of fans would jump on the title because Superman started slaughtering people and they would dig it and say it's "kewl and edgy".

And I've read Hulk fan fiction over the years that had some really interesting changes that kept everything essentually the same in his origin, but made everything more adult and intense. All without the character raping, killing people, and eating Manburger. Miller REALLY let me down.

8. The Kid

The Kid AMERICA FTW

Must have been faulty or whatever. Don't think about stuff like that... just enjoy the show.

9. DTX

DTX Destined To Xtremity

10. BLAQUE-SPIDERMAN

BLAQUE-SPIDERMAN Registered

Without causing anymore WAVES, i throughly enjoyed this animated version of the Ultimates, but i will say for the record that i enjoyed the darker comic verison too of the first Ultimates DVD from 2003. The Hulk rocked! I loved it when he beat the snot out out of the whole team, especially Thor, and Giant Man! The revised story also worked for me, but if they kept it raw as the orignal, i would've loved that too. The Hulk stole the show, and that put a huge smile on my face! I just hope he shows up again in the next DVD.

11. Obi-Ron

Obi-Ron Deal with it

Sure, he can add Black Panther to his beatdown list.

12. Class100strngth

Class100strngth "Superman is unbeatable"

He lost controll , because in hulk state he is uncontrollable , but yea i dont understand it too much it wouldnt be the firfst time the hulk had allies. But i must say i love the fact it took iron man , captain america , Thor , Giant Man to defeat him , Which they probably wouldnt have , if they didnt inject him with the antidote. But they made iron man a weakling in that movie kinda dissappointing . he got messed up a few times . But thank god Giant man is a useless bastard , hahah hes like 100 feet tall , and he gets punched by the hulk and falls down and basically cries

13. HoratioRome

HoratioRome Registered

I agree 100%

14. HoratioRome

HoratioRome Registered

Here is the problem,
    you have the original REAL Hulk, then Millar takes liberties (which assumes he thinks he can do it better) with the character and makes MAJOR changes to him.
    Then the movie people take liberties with Millar's version and make THEIR changes to the character,.............

and who gets lost in all these changes?

THE HULK!

with Marvel allowing artists to do what they want what we get is that there is no longer THE Hulk. There is only a concept of a Hulking creature.

Well I for one fell in love with the HULK, not the concept.

And btw, I find it beautifully ironic that Millar's version was changed. I wonder if that upset/insulted him. you know the way he insulted Mr. Lee's original work by presuming to do it better.

15. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex Registered

Betty Ross got raped in the comics, when?

16. Saint

Saint The Devil's Robot

Here's an idea: DON'T READ ULTIMATE BOOKS.

The PURPOSE of the Ultimate line is to make familar characters DIFFERENT. If you have a problem with DIFFERENT, then stick to the freaking 616 books and don't complain. That's why Marvel has the two damn lines.

17. Obi-Ron

Obi-Ron Deal with it

Way ahead of ya. :up:

18. 32CAGE

32CAGE Registered

I couldn't agree with you more.

19. TwilightPro101

TwilightPro101 ........

Have to say it was blah. The comics were defintely superior.

20. DTX

DTX Destined To Xtremity

Hey! It's the 21st century here, we need ACTORS, dammit!