Dark Phoenix Hype: decimated.

But they are an underdog cause of Merchandise? Yeah. Sure. This franchise is one of the most valuable out there.

Which, I think, is why Marvel wanted a piece of the cake for the TV Shows.

Anyway, right now basically every other superhero franchise has more appeal than the X-Men. Ok, Fantastic Four doesn't, but that's Fox too. Even Guardians of the Galaxy, a superhero team no one ever heard before, has more appeal. And has critical acclaim for a superhero movie too.

Fox really just don't understand what they have in their hands.

They don't because the creative team attached to the Uncanny X-Men films aren't very wise. While the rest - the spin offs and TV shows, are doing their own thing instead of working with each other for a more united film verse.

The TC is absolutely right about the hype. There isn't any. It isn't even hatred for the series like with Fantastic Four or even the Snyder JL films. It is just indifference. Just look at the thread about the CBMs you are most looking forward to next year. Nobody cares about this movie. Only diehard X-Men fans are even paying any attention to it.

Compare the hype level to even another 2018 X-Universe film in Deadpool 2 and it isn't even close.

Ahem, I imagine Dark Phoenix will probably disappoint given who is directing, but to just flip the script on you for a minute, here were a few others that had no hype from the online fan community:

-Legion
-Logan
-X-Men: First Class.

Honestly, they all had very little hype for the same reason that Dark Phoenix is met with indifference: they are made by Fox who are inconsistent, and they are not part of the "brand." Not in the way Marvel and DC are. There is almost no way that Justice League will be any better than Batman v Superman, which I would argue is mountains below X-Men: Apocalypse. But out of brand loyalty for DC, fans force themselves to get excited for it.

Fox will never have that. But if they actually make a really good movie like, say, Logan and X-Men: First Class, it could get there when it counts with Logan now heralded as a classic in its genre. And while XFC underperformed, its positive reception and successful run on home media paved the way for DOFP.

I am just saying, the X-franchise lives and dies by the quality of each film. Fox deserves much of the blame for that, but at the same time I do think there is something "in the water" when it comes to how fans perceive these things. Personally though, I am fine with it, because I am past getting super obsessed about these things months out.

With that said, this one intrigues me, because I feel like Fox's entire X-saga could live or die based on DP. If it is another Apocalypse, they could be in real trouble. So out of curiosity that has me intrigued.

and marvel since 2010 has been doing everything possable to ruin or hurt X-men.

here is enough reminder X-Men,X2,and Days of Future Past were good films
too.and while i consider it a bit overated first class is thought of as good too.

Wolverine is gone for forsable future.while i am not big fan of jennifer lawrence's version of mystique remember her big role is change since
mystique was minor character really in original trilogy.

merchandize helps to create buzz.it isn't just for old time fans like me.it helps introuduce X-men to new fans.the 1990's show and films in 2000's did.what
some ignore before disney bought marvel the original trilogy and even worst x film origins had merchandize to help promate it.

if people really think origins with higher box office is better film than first class or the wolverine or apocalypse i don't know what to tell you.

Logan didn't have any colorful costumes and was even more grounded than
original X-men trilogy.those are 2 complants i hear consently.new mutants will be horror film with no costumes.

the logan like atmopshphe for dark phoenix is result of the complants
on apocalypse.because of that kinberg isn't sharing things like Singer did.

What does that have to do with New Mutants getting no uniform? Didn't Boone already confirm that.

good outfits aren't a budgetary issue, i guess. new mutants are probably like rogue and iceman were for x1 and most of x2, just students and not part of any team.

'Ahem, I imagine Dark Phoenix will probably disappoint given who is directing, but to just flip the script on you for a minute, here were a few others that had no hype from the online fan community:'

branding is the issue. mcu fans also help extinguish xmen's hype as well

when josh bonne said new mutants was gonna be a horror movie they all tried to spin it negatively even though few of them actually read the comics ....

so fox isnt releasing anything as of now thanks to this...further brings down hype etc etc

Thing is this has no hype and would likely get end up as the worst X-Men flick. This isn't gonna be the next Logan or First Class so the comparison to those movies aren't justified. This is not going to be directed by a well established director who has a decent track record as a writer. Kinberg isn't also a Tim Miller as Miller didn't write a bunch of bad films in the past. Mangold and Vaughn had good resume going into Logan/First Class.

And this is X-Men, this should get as the same hype as X2,X3 and Dofp. The lack of hype is already an indication that this might be another X-Men/movie that will come and go. Unless it is a good movie that would lead to strong box office performance , then great, but I doubt it.

Ahem, I imagine Dark Phoenix will probably disappoint given who is directing, but to just flip the script on you for a minute, here were a few others that had no hype from the online fan community:

-Legion
-Logan

Logan had hype with the R rating alone. Something Wolverine fans and the online community had wanted for a long time. Then ya had fan favorite X-23 rumors showing up and the announcement of being Jackmans last role as Logan. Audiences and fans were definitely loyal to Jackman. Legion had trust in the community because of Noah Hawley. Though I don't think anyone expected it to be as phenomenal as it was and it was just under the radar.

First Class yeah, nobody knew what to expect there. Especially post XMOW and X3. Along with a late trailer and few fan fav characters there was not much there for hype.
Those three are not really a good comparison as none of those filmmakers (Vaughn, Mangold, Hawley) had done anything to cause worry. Right now this is more a comparison to say Ratner returning right after X3. While I didn't hate X3 to the level of most, I would totally get the hate and concern. This film has no hype plus the hate.

This film is also based on arguably the most well known story in the X-Men history, yet still no hype cause we already saw the attempt 10 years ago. What's fresh here like Logan, Legion or First Class?

Funny you say there's no loyalty. Loyalty is exactly what made DOFP have hype. It's there. You just gotta bring what people actually want. With X-Men as a whole, audiences and fans never allowed for a flop. Unlike Green Lantern. Brand loyalty is also the reason a mess like XMOW still made money even when leaked.

Now Fox and creatives are learning their brand was for the majority Wolverine based and that plays into it's success when he ain't around to lead. No other X-Men member was ever shown to be a fully marketable. Maybe it's time they do that in a fresh film and move away from this decade jumping roster revolving side characters.

Last edited:
Logan had hype with the R rating alone. Something Wolverine fans and the online community had wanted for a long time. Then ya had fan favorite X-23 rumors showing up and the announcement of being Jackmans last role as Logan. Audiences and fans were definitely loyal to Jackman.

I think that Jackman's last time as Logan was already a huge hype.

I think its also worth mentioning that Logan, Legion and Deadpool, FOX's latest success, had a very short list of A-List to work. And not a big number of characters in general. The decision to cut the X-Men, Jean Grey and Sabretooth out of Logan was a great decision. I don't think it's "cool" cameos of A-List that lead nowhere and it's used only to bait the fans.

This film is also based on arguably the most well known story in the X-Men history, yet still no hype cause we already saw the attempt 10 years ago. What's fresh here like Logan, Legion or First Class?

Not to mention they didn't even have a foundation to jump to this story. Scott and Jean were barely introduced, and they're still only friends. They didn't develop them and didn't give time for the audience to care about them.

Now Fox and creatives are learning their brand was for the majority Wolverine based and that plays into it's success when he ain't around to lead. No other X-Men member was ever shown to be a fully marketable. Maybe it's time they do that in a fresh film and move away from this decade jumping roster revolving side characters.

There are only fans in this board. So if Kinberg turn out to be a brilliant first time director and great writer, and Dark Phoenix turn out to be as good as DoFP for instance, but with same formula: the same characters in the spotlight (plus Jean now) and the rest of A-list standing in the background, with little to no lines, character arc or personality. I wonder if the fans will be satisfied with that.

I think it's certain that, if DP turn out to be only mediocre, they'll still keep the same creative team.

Logan didn't have hype until the first trailer. That Johnny Cash trailer was a game changer.

No. It had some hype especially when it was announced that Patrick Stewart was gonna appear and that it was Hugh's final film as the Wolverine!

-Legion
-Logan

I disagree about Logan for the reasons others have mentioned, but besides that, I have to emphasize I'm not talking about the quality of these films. Yes, I totally agree a film like Apocalypse is much better than BvS. The issue is hype and interest, or the lack thereof, regarding the franchise in general (particularly the main X-Men films). When the latest X-Men film is getting crushed at the box office by Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange, something went wrong, and there seems to be even less interest in Dark Phoenix.

Fox can certainly generate hype, they've done so for Deadpool. But for whatever reason, something about the main franchise isn't connecting with audiences. And I say this as somebody who liked most of them.

Legixn is not even a film, and why do we need to compare that to a blockbuster film.

And having these younger version lead the Uncanny X-Men films isn't the way to go. It was evident in First Class that they were just the "younger version", Dofp proved that they aren't the main draw and Apocalypse's box office underperformance is the third straw.

Logan didn't have hype until the first trailer. That Johnny Cash trailer was a game changer.

No way. This was not the same as all. Right when that film was announced as R everywhere I read and everyone I knew was excited.

And while I know alot of people who don't like the X-men movies, everyone loved Jackman. Same with Stewart. Seeing his last outing was a must, add to that it was also Stewarts last outing and that got more. Their campaign was restrained but confident and nicely executed.
I think that Jackman's last time as Logan was already a huge hype.

I think its also worth mentioning that Logan, Legion and Deadpool, FOX's latest success, had a very short list of A-List to work. And not a big number of characters in general. The decision to cut the X-Men, Jean Grey and Sabretooth out of Logan was a great decision. I don't think it's "cool" cameos of A-List that lead nowhere and it's used only to bait the fans.

Not to mention they didn't even have a foundation to jump to this story. Scott and Jean were barely introduced, and they're still only friends. They didn't develop them and didn't give time for the audience to care about them.

There are only fans in this board. So if Kinberg turn out to be a brilliant first time director and great writer, and Dark Phoenix turn out to be as good as DoFP for instance, but with same formula: the same characters in the spotlight (plus Jean now) and the rest of A-list standing in the background, with little to no lines, character arc or personality. I wonder if the fans will be satisfied with that.

I think it's certain that, if DP turn out to be only mediocre, they'll still keep the same creative team.

Yep! Pretty much.

Last edited:
Maybe if they announce the Dark Phoenix is the last film for the First Class cast, this would get more hype from the actors' respective fanbase. Or maybe not.

When the latest X-Men film is getting crushed at the box office by Suicide Squad and Doctor Strange, something went wrong, and there seems to be even less interest in Dark Phoenix

To be fair, both of those were released in less competitive months. And while SS was trash, it had Batman in it and most importantly a new Joker. Arguably THE most iconic villain of comics. Doctor Strange was something brand new and untapped. And was received very well by critics. X-Men isn't new and they did a bad job of telling a story that audiences have already seen. Whats going to make or break this is how well critics treat it IMO. Hype a year out doesn't mean anything. Hype the week of is everything. People are slaves to Rottentomatoes these days. Probably guilty of it myself. It needs a decent score and enough respectable reviewers backing it. Even then expectations around here are ridiculous. Getting back to 600 million would be excellent news for them. All things considered, that would be an accomplishment.

While I agree that Batman, Joker and even other characters like Wonder Woman and Superman are huge icons, there's still no excuse. No excuse at all when FOX has Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Kitty Pryde, Colossus, Gambit, Beast, Angel, Emma Frost, and many, many others.

Like I said before, even Guardians of Galaxy has more appeal now.

It's not excuses. It's the reality we're in. These factors count. They released in a crowded season. They didn't do anything new or special. They didn't make a good movie. And critical reception was not kind. That's what happened.

xmen fans think timing isnt a factor?? :whatever: look at this year's summer casualties

true reason is ppl like to see new characters. wolverine is in all xmen movies since 2000, cyclops jean etc are also around for a decade ... xmen can stay popular in comic books for decades..at least until disney bought marvel comics. that doesnt mean these characters will stay popular forever in movies. gotg just happened 3 years ago. suicide squad also has harley quinn who is new in movies. Then what about spiderman? pairing him with iron man is their last resort

so ppl here keep insisting on xmen going back to first step - redoing the classic team over and over again - then wondering why ppl lost interest

'Even then expectations around here are ridiculous. Getting back to 600 million would be excellent news for them.'

logan is doing well - if u remember hugh jackman played him for 17 years. even mcu has stopped making solo movies for their original avengers to phase them out

then ppl are asking why a young property like gotg is doing better than a 17 year old franchise

Iron Man already appeared in how many films already? Probably as just as many as Cyclops,Jean, Storm and the others. And people are still interested to see Iron Man. While Apocalypse and Psylocke have never been advertised in a film until Apocalypse. So there's no excuses. Whether its old or new - Batman, Superman and Spider-Man are just old as Xavier, Wolverine in the public eyes. It will sell if it appeals to the masses. Fox's recent take with the their younger version of the X-Men didn't and it would probably be the case for Dp as well.

Fox's X-Men films just don't appeal to the masses like a DCEU or a MCU film. Is it bad? Maybe I won't mind it if the film is good and the treatment to the characters are good but no. X-Men. Until another X-Men film (that doesn't feature Deadpool) earn $700 million worldwide, then okay.

The last X-Men film that earned $500 million outside North America is Dofp we all know who was the main draw of that. And can we stop bringing up Logan? That was a solo Wolverine film and probably the last Wolverine film in a long time. Its not an ongoing franchise anymore. Personally speaking, I want an ensemble film that truly feels like the X-Men and I feel once we get that, the property could be as successful as Gotg or Dceu films again. X-Force and New mutants would likely turn to be good but those aren't the X-Men but just spin offs.

Last edited:
This should just be renamed the negative thread seriously all the bashing of
x-men films and doom and gloom seriously

let me guess what the solution is for all the doom and gloomers

1:fox quits making X-men films and hands them to disney so X-men can be done right:whatever:
2:Fox reboots X-men and they become deadpool supporting characters and spin-off from Deadpool:whatever:
3:Fox quits making X-men films and only make deadpool and X-force films

and some ar eignoring fact dark phoenix opens november 2 2018 more than year away and nothing is known about film so hard to create any hype when film is surrounded in secretcy

who needs haters of X-men when so called fans trash everything about the
films.

xmen fans think timing isnt a factor?? :whatever: look at this year's summer casualties

true reason is ppl like to see new characters. wolverine is in all xmen movies since 2000, cyclops jean etc are also around for a decade ... xmen can stay popular in comic books for decades..at least until disney bought marvel comics. that doesnt mean these characters will stay popular forever in movies. gotg just happened 3 years ago. suicide squad also has harley quinn who is new in movies. Then what about spiderman? pairing him with iron man is their last resort

so ppl here keep insisting on xmen going back to first step - redoing the classic team over and over again - then wondering why ppl lost interest

Dofp had more competition in 2014 with Maleficent and Godzilla and yet it still earned $750 million worldwide. March 2017 is also crowded as ever with Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers and Skull Island.

Apocalypse's main competition were Warcraft, Tmnt2, Conjuring 2, Angry Birds :huh: let's not act it was released 1 week after Civil War. It was released 3 weeks after that film. And so what if its released in a crowded month, that never seemed to be a problem to Dceu/MCU films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"