Dark Phoenix Hype: decimated.

New Mutants is probably cheap. Though if it flops it won't disappoint me as I am more of a X-Men guy than New Mutants. Also the lack of costumes wouldn't help. Though I am sure it will be better than Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.

Anyway, the big problem is the X-Men, an upcoming X-Men should have the same hype as the next Avengers but nope. It doesn't even have the hype for the first Black Panther film or the first Captain Marvel film.

The majority of new Marvel tv has taken a plunge in quality with the exception of Legion.

Gifted is decent, it has a similar Audience and Critic score as Defenders. Neither were horrible, but not anything to write home about unlike Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Legion. When the reviews are as strong as those three the audience reception almost always reflect that.

I just think these X-Men shows aren't very ideal. Like who knew the first X-Men related live action TV show would focus on Legixn of all characters... And the second focuses on characters that aren't even from.the comics. While the likes of Sage, Polaris, Thunderbird and Blink play second fiddle. So to me, these shows don't seem main priority but just side projects. Good if they do well, oh well, if they don't.

New Mutants is probably cheap. Though if it flops it won't disappoint me as I am more of a X-Men guy than New Mutants. Also the lack of costumes wouldn't help. Though I am sure it will be better than Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix.

Anyway, the big problem is the X-Men, an upcoming X-Men should have the same hype as the next Avengers but nope. It doesn't even have the hype for the first Black Panther film or the first Captain Marvel film.

Deadpool's budget was pretty darn low, but it got one of the best cinematic xmen outfits ever from negasonic teenage... whatever her name is.

The TC is absolutely right about the hype. There isn't any. It isn't even hatred for the series like with Fantastic Four or even the Snyder JL films. It is just indifference. Just look at the thread about the CBMs you are most looking forward to next year. Nobody cares about this movie. Only diehard X-Men fans are even paying any attention to it.

Compare the hype level to even another 2018 X-Universe film in Deadpool 2 and it isn't even close.

The TC is absolutely right about the hype. There isn't any. It isn't even hatred for the series like with Fantastic Four or even the Snyder JL films. It is just indifference. Just look at the thread about the CBMs you are most looking forward to next year. Nobody cares about this movie. Only diehard X-Men fans are even paying any attention to it.

Compare the hype level to even another 2018 X-Universe film in Deadpool 2 and it isn't even close.

Yep, there's no hype. Not at this point anyway. They've not been releasing any interesting info or set pix to give us any clues.

They know Marvel fans won't give this film an easy ride. They must be hoping it's good enough to get critical acclaim like Logan - and that the mainstream interest will be good, whatever the CBM fanbase thinks.

The thing is that the CBM fanbase are very vocal on social media.

We're all just here worrying DP will be a mess and waiting for some info or images.

Well yeah, there's no good news and it's coming off of a film most people want to forget and made X-Men fans divisive.

jesus.what are people expecting.after 24/7 trashing of apocalypse from moment pics came out fox is following from now on the logan method.keep everything under wraps till trailer comes out.

hype often comes with news which there isn't.and dark phoenix doesn't even come out till november 2 2018.

for better or worse the cast of X-men are the first class/DOfP/APocalypse cast of mcavoy,Fassbener,Lawrence,Hoult,Peters,and those introduced in
APocalypse.people wanted rid of original cast on internet.they got it.they wanted Bryan SInger gone you have it.I have no way of telling if any of the 2018 x related films will be good or not.that is what trailers are for.

people wante the original trilogy removed from contunity they got it.for them to reboot again after apocalyse when 2 years earlier they used time travel to remove non-fc films from contunity would be as bad as dc's consent rebooting.

if i don't like the trailers for the 2018 x films then i won;t see them.

There is some hatred going on for this film but with the other X-films coming outnext year, I think most just chose to ignore this impending mess. Also I don't think people care that much with the younger version of X-Men. DOFP is the only exception as that one featured the return of the beloved original cast!

13 months out. Hype train don't need to start rolling until next summer. There's a lot of other superhero content the GA has to eat up before then.

Even Mulan has bigger hype than this and like I said Captain Marvel has bigger hype than this and it comes out in 2019! Even Avatar 2 has more buzz and it comes out in the next decade.

Disney is a hype generating behemoth. The X-men are the underdogs ;)

yeah, the X-Men never entered the big leagues (Lord of the rings, Harry Potter, Pirates, Avatar, Avengers...) so Fox approach didnt click 100% with general audience.
The X-Men had all the potential to be huge, with both fans, critics and the masses, but... quite a few creative decisions hurt the main franchise. And since day 1, not just now or with XMA.

Rotten Tomatoes disagrees with you. Their rating system best shows how general audiences click with the X-men films:

X-men: 81%
X2: X-men United: 86%
X-men: The Last Stand: 58%
X-men Origins: Wolverine: 38%
X-men: First Class: 86%
The Wolverine: 70%
X-men: Days of Future Past: 90%
X-men: Apocalypse: 48%
Deadpool: 84%
Logan: 93%

Out of all the X-men films, only Origins and Apocalypse got the worst ratings from critics and general audiences while X3 (despite being the most hated film in the franchise) had a much better rating than both films. Based on this list, the idea that FOX's approach isn't clicking with the audiences is entirely incorrect.

Who was talking about critics or ratings? I was talking about boxoffice. And we all know the XMen never reached the big franchises boxoffice, which means a lot of people didnt bother going to the theatre to watch the X-Men, and thats a Fox issue, they hurt their own potential.

Lol at some people.next they will be saying bvs and SS are better than all
X-men films because their box office is better and both films have worse rt
scores than even Origins.

Lol at some people.next they will be saying bvs and SS are better than all
X-men films because their box office is better and both films have worse rt
scores than even Origins.

I know, right?

Do you have a respond that neither me nor SumT were referring to rotten tomatoes rating? But box office performance? And please tell mewhy so much more people flock to Dceu films despite lower quality films such as bvs, mos and ss?

They wont answer because they dont have arguments about the actual topic. So all they can do is to twist our posts, changing the topic to something else. Typical deffensive/evasive reaction when fans adress xmen movies flaws and less support from GA

Disney is a hype generating behemoth. The X-men are the underdogs ;)

Isnt that why a lot of recent Disney films outgrossed Logan worldwide?

Anyway, not every movie needs to gross over $1 billion. Though there are so much more they can do. X-Men is definitely the best and richest Marvel comic book property out there, it has the best Rogues gallery (along with Spider-Man) and the best female characters and Fox could do so much more than releasing self contained spin offs and below average Uncanny X-Men films. And don't even get me started with the Fantastic Four.

If Fox knows what do, there would have been an upcoming Fantastic Four/X-Men cross over (if they can really do one like they were hinting before), Colossus won't just be the only one to show up in X-Force/Deadpool,New Mutants wouldn't feel self contained as of the moment and would have been teased in anothrr X-Men movie right before its release to generate audience awareness. And we would have seen by now that these characters all exist in 1 universe.

Last edited:
X-Men and Fox are not the under dogs. These are both huge juggernauts in the film industry.

Deadpool an R rated comic film grossed more then any first entry comic solo besides Wonder Woman while Logan and Days Of Future Past grossed more then plenty as well. Everybody on this board stressed for the longest time that an R rated Deadpool or Wolverine film would not hit an audience.

The main X-Men series has far too many ups and downs with quality and doesn't do a good job on the potential of it's marketable characters. That's why there is issues and will continue to be until things change.

Bottom line, make good movies and turn the X-Men into leads with their potential fully on screen. Not as a revolving cameo and supporting cast around Wolverine, Prof X and Magneto. There's no reason for audiences to care about most these characters unless you read the comics.

Last edited:
of course fox is underdog when they don't have full merchandize control of x-men.and people will always crap on their films.even now we have people who crap on all the X-men films nomatter what box office and cirtical response is.

people don't even analyize why deadpool and logan risks payed off.

deadpool took piss out of entire genre.it's romantic storyline appealed to
people.deadpool's break the fourth wall is r rated equilvent of mcu especilly stark.Deadpool also has advantage of not being allegary on prejudge and holcaust.what they did was fine on deadpool solo but it's not what i want for mainstream X-men films.my concern for deadpool 2 is they will try to make cable funny and cracking jokes..Logan was benefited by fact it was known it was hugh Jackman's final appearance as wolverine and possibly Patrick Stewart's final appearance as xavier.

the fact remains Dark Phoenix could get into 80's at rt and it may not mean much at box office.First class is at 86% with apocalypse at 48% and adjusted for inflination there is exactly 3 million difference between the 2 films.

APocalypse had colorful costumes for hor horseman and had x-men graduate
to them at end.meanwhile josh boone has said no uniforms in new mutants.for all the attcks on bryan singer's X-men films are being grounded logan is even more grounded.

and with stresing box office taking deadpool out do people really think last stand is best X-men film because it is one domesticly with more money.even more when you adjust for inflination.

I have plenty of concerns about simon Kinberg left to his own devices but as
X-men fan dark phoenix is still most anticapted film of 2018.doesn't mean
i will like the film.i have no idea if the x films of 2018 will be good.that
depends on things like trailers and previews.

How in the world is a series that made almost 2 billion with their last three films, with a combined budget of just over 300m and been around for 17 years an underdog? Fox got a steal with the X-Men franchise. But they are an underdog cause of Merchandise? Yeah. Sure. This franchise is one of the most valuable out there.

Let me sum up why people liked Deadpool and Logan. They were good, they were fresh and they paid justice to their characters.

You guys have not even seen the potential here, and neither have audiences unless their name is Wolverine or Deadpool. The only ones keeping X-Men from being bigger hits are the creatives. They don't let audiences know why they are good. Blame them.

Last edited:
If Fox is an underdog, that's because they made crap films which lost the public's goodwill for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"