• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Dark Phoenix Hype: decimated.

While I agree that Batman, Joker and even other characters like Wonder Woman and Superman are huge icons, there's still no excuse. No excuse at all when FOX has Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue, Nightcrawler, Psylocke, Kitty Pryde, Colossus, Gambit, Beast, Angel, Emma Frost, and many, many others.

Like I said before, even Guardians of Galaxy has more appeal now.

: O Whaaa?

But those guys were unheard of before the movie...

Which is the problem with Fox's treatment of the Uncanny X-Men. They might be doing well with DeDpool, Loganand probably New Mutants and X-Force in the future. But the Uncanny X-Men should be the main stars here, if not as big as the Avengers, then at least Gotg and SS.

People aren't so invested with the Fc cast and the other younger version. And with each new film featuring that cast, the interest for an Uncanny X-Men film decreases. Watch next year, when an Ant-Man film outgrosses the X-Men in North America and worldwide.

Ant-Man is made for the cinema though, particularly in this age of CGI. It's success never surprised me. People just had to see the possibilities.

The X-Men isn't anymore? Like I said the X-Men is the best Marvel property out there. If only they could get it right every time release a new film.

Logan had hype with the R rating alone. Something Wolverine fans and the online community had wanted for a long time. Then ya had fan favorite X-23 rumors showing up and the announcement of being Jackmans last role as Logan. Audiences and fans were definitely loyal to Jackman. Legion had trust in the community because of Noah Hawley. Though I don't think anyone expected it to be as phenomenal as it was and it was just under the radar.

First Class yeah, nobody knew what to expect there. Especially post XMOW and X3. Along with a late trailer and few fan fav characters there was not much there for hype.
Those three are not really a good comparison as none of those filmmakers (Vaughn, Mangold, Hawley) had done anything to cause worry. Right now this is more a comparison to say Ratner returning right after X3. While I didn't hate X3 to the level of most, I would totally get the hate and concern. This film has no hype plus the hate.

This film is also based on arguably the most well known story in the X-Men history, yet still no hype cause we already saw the attempt 10 years ago. What's fresh here like Logan, Legion or First Class?

Funny you say there's no loyalty. Loyalty is exactly what made DOFP have hype. It's there. You just gotta bring what people actually want. With X-Men as a whole, audiences and fans never allowed for a flop. Unlike Green Lantern. Brand loyalty is also the reason a mess like XMOW still made money even when leaked.

Now Fox and creatives are learning their brand was for the majority Wolverine based and that plays into it's success when he ain't around to lead. No other X-Men member was ever shown to be a fully marketable. Maybe it's time they do that in a fresh film and move away from this decade jumping roster revolving side characters.

I will agree it is time to stop with the decade jumping and to refocus on the team. I also agree that DP is in a bad spot after Apocalypse. I was just saying Fox has been here before, so I don't consider it particularly indicative of DP's quality (though the director is).

As per Logan, I was also around these boards then. No one really cared until they found out Logan would likely be R rated. And even then it was cratering at the bottom of people's hype interests for 2017 superhero movies. Then that teaser dropped and minds changed.

To a certain extent i do think X-Men is the underdog but i don't think FOX care about that.

If you look at new mutants for example you can tell the idea isn't just to do another X-Men series but actually make new mutants the horror side of the X-Men universe.

FOX have done fairly well with changing their tones by each movie and its possible X-Men will be the one that remains fresh beyond the time when the MCU starts to go stale mostly because FOX are being fairly restraint while at the same time not really caring all that much about universe connectivity

I don't think the lack of early hype is anything to worry about when this film has been kept fairly under wraps anyway.

Last edited:
I will agree it is time to stop with the decade jumping and to refocus on the team. I also agree that DP is in a bad spot after Apocalypse. I was just saying Fox has been here before, so I don't consider it particularly indicative of DP's quality (though the director is).
:up:

As per Logan, I was also around these boards then. No one really cared until they found out Logan would likely be R rated. And even then it was cratering at the bottom of people's hype interests for 2017 superhero movies. Then that teaser dropped and minds changed.

From these boards not many cared about Deadpool either. The Deadpool 2 forum is pretty inactive compared to this one despite the success and hype of the first. Deadpool destroys the main X-Men series plus DC and Marvel flicks on social media. You would never know that strictly from here as the board is lucky to get 1 post a day.

Out of all the X-Men properties the main series is always the most active on SHH, that has more to do with the members. It's not really a good indicator overall.

Last edited:
Fox are certainly showing major confidence in this series

Especially if they split DP into 2 parts, they must have liked the pitch.

good job fox, you did it. Really, singer- you did it. The essence of the x-men are unrecognizable. Its cruel, really. Like hanging out with a formerly dear close friend, that has drifted away- forced to conform in a relationship you know is bad for them. A prisoner, who's forced smiles have a distinct pain as you realize the person they used to be has sold their existence for a false idol.

I don't know who these people are but they aren't the x-men. Its not the actors. Its the theme, the essence of who the x-men are stripped away and now we're being force fed by some angry step mother who thinks we're ungrateful because we're disappointed that after being promised steak we got chopped liver.

And before you come clawing at me about costumes being unrealistic or origin stories being too bizarre- if that's your stance you're equally as jaded. The x-men are a family. They don't represent a political idea, they're not the avengers, they're not a bunch of loners fighting for an dream besides themselves, they're not blue and yellow spandex, they're not black leather, they're not one character leading a team a misfits, they're not a stepping stone for someones film, graphic novel, or whatever career for that matter. They're a family unified by the bond of persecution, learning how being different makes them uniquely gifted to not only fight for xaviers dream but for hope for all mankind. And mutantkind.

I cant get hyped for this movie because there is no indication that we're goin to see these x-men.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the x-men are free

They'll have a hell of a job ahead of them to promote this and the other movies while everybody know the X-Men is joining the MCU.

They'll have a hell of a job ahead of them to promote this and the other movies while everybody know the X-Men is joining the MCU.

I think to have a chance they are going to really have to push the finale aspect in marketing. Sell it as the final conclusion of the last 18 years.

The original cast is gone so as stewart and Jackman. Reynolds isn't appearing in this for a special cameo. Selling this as a finale for 18 yo franchise won't x-actly work since the Fc cast has never been the stars of this franchise.

Yeah they are in a very awkward position. I see this film underperforming even more than it already was going to.

BTW is this the local "skepticism" thread? :o

Yeah they are in a very awkward position. I see this film underperforming even more than it already was going to.

BTW is this the local "skepticism" thread? :o

nah, all threads are now "positivism threads" :woot:

The original cast is gone so as stewart and Jackman. Reynolds isn't appearing in this for a special cameo. Selling this as a finale for 18 yo franchise won't x-actly work since the Fc cast has never been the stars of this franchise.

No, it might not work. But what else can they do? Other than just completely give up and slash the marketing budget and push it out to fulfill contractual obligations. Come see our second attempt at Dark Phoenix which will be tossed out and rebooted in two years anyways isn't exactly going to fill seats.

Well it's also pointless to market it as the final one when you know the internet is already buzzing for the reboot. Damned if they do and damned if they dont. The First Class / Apocalypse cast also don't carry a sense of nostalgia.

Apocalypse didn't do any favor for its follow up. Now with that deal... it will be interesting to see how they'll promote this movie.

It's still technically a culmination and conclusion to the Phoenix plot thread that has been continuing ever since Jean first put on Cerebro and weakened Xavier's psychic barriers in Xmen 1. Sure, these aren't the same actors, but they are still the same characters, just younger and given a second chance to confront the Phoenix without Jean and Scott both dying in the end.

Its not a conclusion, its a retread.
Its not a continuation of original movies, just the same story with a new cast, so the general audience wont have hype built on original characters, neither from apocalypse, sadly.

I'll wait until the movie is out before determining whether or not it's a retread. Two stories involving the same threat does not automatically mean it's a retread.

As it stands it certainly has the potential to be a satisfying conclusion to the Phoenix plot thread in the X-men film universe. Will it meet that potential? Remains to be seen.

Its not a conclusion, its a retread.
Its not a continuation of original movies, just the same story with a new cast, so the general audience wont have hype built on original characters, neither from apocalypse, sadly.

They should call this, X-Men: The LAST Stand Again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WarMachine95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"