I Am Doom....discuss me [merged-2]

snazzy J said:
Classic Doom could've proven himself in one issue. ;)

Dude, we're not living in the sixties anymore, stories have to be a lot more credible and realistic nowadays, you can't just have a guy being exposed to some sort of strange radiation, suddenly gaining miraculous superpowers, putting on a colorful spandex suit and declaring: "From now on, I shall be known as -insert name here- man!"

TheSumOfGod said:
Dude, we're not living in the sixties anymore, stories have to be a lot more credible and realistic nowadays, you can't just have a guy being exposed to some sort of strange radiation, suddenly gaining miraculous superpowers, putting on a colorful spandex suit and declaring: "From now on, I shall be known as -insert name here- man!"
The ";)" was there for a reason.

snazzy J said:
The ";)" was there for a reason.

I know, I know, but you have to admit that "Insert-Name-Here-Man" would be a great superhero name. "You-Know-What-I-Mean-Man" being even better. ;)

I'm still amused by the term "organic skin" as used by Doom fans. "No organic skin," they shout, meaning that Doom's shouldn't have organic armor as skin. But the way they phrase it makes me chuckle, because it sounds like they WANT steel skin. After all, the original Doctor Doom and normal people have organic skin. :)

Yeah, spiderwyze... I noticed that, too. Felt like I'd be flamed for mentioning the gaffe. Luckily I bided my time to let someone else take the heat. =:^)

Organic skin... yes.
Organic steel...no thanks.

I don't mind organic steel as long as Doom's personality, past history and inner motivations were to remain relatively the same.

VON DOOM INDUSTRIES? Wow, that sounds so consumer friendly. This has extreme cheese written all over it.

I wish my last name was Von Doom. That would be so badass...

GL-Corps#28 said:
I wish my last name was Von Doom. That would be so badass...

My actual real birth name is Jacobus Blackstream. My parents were Joseph Richard Blackstream and Marie-Anne Delapointe Blackstream. I'm not the rightful heir to some eastern-european throne or anything, but still, I have a pretty good sounding supervillain name.

Awesome name dude. You should get a doctorate in something to complete it.

And a big, billowy cloak. Oh, and a sceptor.

GL-Corps#28 said:
Awesome name dude. You should get a doctorate in something to complete it.

And a big, billowy cloak. Oh, and a sceptor.

I am Doctor Jacobus Blackstream, Prince of Wallochia, and soon, you shall all bow down before me, you puny mortals!

Blackstream sound a little pervvy to me, no offense. :) Blackmourne, change it to that. Dude, I'm gonna make a comic with the villian named that.

Come on, no one wants to tell me what they thought of my ideas?!

I feel it's too similar to the script being used for the film, or the previous script, or whichever one I read. I'd prefer leaving that plot behind and using something closer to the story from the comics (meaning with elements of Doom's life that were revealed much later than the origin of the Fantastic Four).

Sardaukar said:
Yes, folks, the great Khan said words like those in that subliminal Trek sequel. Khan was a man of great power and intelligence, yet he was wounded and wanted revenge...what a great character he was; I dare say he was the best villain Star Trek ever knew.

Doom could be like that. The backstory of the Master's beloved Latveria could effectively be incorporated into this film, even if the only time we actually see that fair country is at the very end of the movie!

1. In only a few (but gripping) moments throughout the film, Doom is disturbed and vulnerable (and we all know that Doom hates being vulnerable-it only adds to his rage and determination). He is continually plagued by nightmares and visions of a moment from when he was a child, a moment when his entire family was executed before his eyes. He feels ashamed that he, the rightful heir of Latveria, fled in fear while a usurper stole the throne.

Doom is also angry. You see, the usurper (let's respect canon and call him Vladimir) was actually backed and given weapons by the United States and other Western nations. But now Vladimir rules Latveria under an iron fist worse than that of the Von Doom's, but of course Vladimir is still an ally of the West as they continually overlook his crimes against humanity for political/economical reasons (just like China's control of Tibet).

This enrages Doom...and gives him enough of an excuse to really hate the world. That hate serves as proper motivation for him to avenge himself and his dead loved ones upon all the world.

I'd like to see a scene where Sue tries to understand why Victor is so angry and he explains to her his family's tragedy. Hell, if they really want Sue to connect intimately with Victor and make us understand the guy, that's a fine moment to do it in! Then, to back that up, maybe Doom's claim to the Latverian throne could be quickly alluded to by a fast news clip or something.

2. Skip to the climax of the film:

The FF defeat Doom and his charred corpse is laying before them. But, guess what, when the authorities arrive to examine the body, they discover that it's a robot (or a dummy, whatever suits your taste)! Doom has escaped; he is still out there somewhere...

3. Skip to the very end of the film:

6 months later...

Sitting on this throne, King Vladimir is cowering in mortal terror. An invincible enemy has broken through his palace's defenses. A doorway blasts open. The king watches in horror as a dark, cloaked figure approaches him.

You know the rest...

No what kind of setup is that for a sequel?

Doom appreciates your respect and fear. you shall be spared from Doom's wrath.

Herr Logan said:
I feel it's too similar to the script being used for the film, or the previous script, or whichever one I read. I'd prefer leaving that plot behind and using something closer to the story from the comics (meaning with elements of Doom's life that were revealed much later than the origin of the Fantastic Four).
Well I was shooting to keep it fairly similar to the Frost draft, so it's understandable that you'd notice that. My goal was to make it close to the script they're using so it would be easier for them to use, while still making it a pretty accurate depiction of Doom.

I think having organic metal skin takes away alot of Doom's personality. Creating his own Hi-tech armor and scolding his flesh says alot about what Doom is all about.

darth_coolius said:
VON DOOM INDUSTRIES? Wow, that sounds so consumer friendly. This has extreme cheese written all over it.
Yeh because compony owners never name their companies after themselves. Oscorp um...yeh, then their is always donald trump he loves to throw his name around

book of edd said:
This movie will ruin the good name of DOOM.
No it won't.

WAIT STOP HOLD ON
It WILL ruin the good name of DOOM BECAUSE IT'S NOT LIKE THE COMICS

Only I think it's interesting how their doing it in the movie.

snazzy J said:
Okay, here's a plot outline a worked out just now combining the Frost script, the new script, and Sardaukar's idea:

Doom has been planning for years to take back Latveria and he is finally ready to do it, using his company's resources. To accomplish this, he's going to install a weapon on his pre-existing space station [This part does sound cheesy, but it explains why the launch occurs so quickly and why Doom comes along. If anybody comes up with a less-corny explanation, feel free to share it] and use it to take Latveria by force. The only problem is he needs an excuse to be up there so that no one will suspect anything. Enter Reed with his research mission, and Ben as his pilot. Doom has a history with the two, but realizes this is exactly what he needs for his plan, so they go ahead with the mission, along with Sue and Johnny. The accident occurs ala the Frost drift, except with Doom leaving in the escape pod like in the new script. The only difference is, instead of organic armor, he has been scarred, though we never actually see the scars. When he lands, he covertly returns to his company (Not on a stolen motorcycle!), leaving everyone to believe he has gone missing (or maybe the pod crashes and they think he's dead). He dons his armor, which he had already created to protect himself in his annexation of Latveria, forges his mask to hide his face, and decides to proceed with his plan, albeit with a newfound hatred of Reed, who he blames the accident on (though his scarring is actually his own fault). This all occurs in complete secrecy, no one being aware of his endeavors aside from a handful of scientists/engineers that he murders later on. Meanwhile, all the stuff from Frost's draft with the Four happens, setting up all their characters. Finally, in the third act, Doom carries out his plan and it is up to the Four to stop him. The ending I'm not so sure about, but I think it could involve Doom being defeated, but still getting away. Then, at the very end after Reed proposes to Sue, Doom could be shown something like "Commence preparations for Plan B, " or something, but less cheesy. Thoughts?

That would certainly make sense, and it'd be really cool to see in the movie. The question I have is in what order should all these plot details be revealed, because there should be a mystery at first as to why the events are happening the way they are.

Also, it occurs to me that this approach would work best if the movie focused on Doom rather than the Fantastic Four. So there has to be a way to tie Doom's suplot into what the FF are going through. For instance, when Doom finds out what happens to Richards and the rest, how does he react? How does he see them fitting into his scheme? Does he want to rub them out because they're an unknown variable he hadn't planned on? Does he decide to factor them into his scheme and manipulate them like chess pieces? I'm asking because I haven't read the Frost draft (somedays I feel like the only person on this board who hasn't), and I'm genuinely curious as to how Doom ties into the Fantastic Four's storyarc. Just as heroes are judged by villains, so are villains defined by how well they tie into the heroes. Even the best villain in history is going to be awkward in a story that doesn't tie him in well with the direction the heroes are going in.

Anyway, I happened to like this idea, snazzy, and I think this is a great thread for brainstorming ideas. Even if nothing ever comes of these ideas because the movie does something else, it's still fun to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"