I Am Doom....discuss me [merged-2]

thesaintofkille said:
Um, yes. And Fantastic four comic books are still call Fantastic Four, not Doom. Doesn't stop them from featuring faithful versions of doom. :confused:
Faithful?! Faithful TO WHAT? The comics are the original source of his history, how can they NOT be faithful?!

Captain Walrus said:
Faithful?! Faithful TO WHAT? The comics are the original source of his history, how can they NOT be faithful?!

Um, by altering his origin ? By making some sort of new "Spider-man: chapter one" ? Believe me, if they wanted, they could mess with these characters. ;)

My point was that NEWER comic book (which are AS MUCH for newer reader than they are for older one) are faithful to the OLDER comic book. What's so hard to understand here ?

What's with all of those "anti-original and faithful Doom" people ? Why would ANY fans of Doom NOT want Fox to make a more faithful adaptation ?

I mean, I can understand people being optimist about a movie, but prefering that Fox make multiple changes to an ALREADY great character such as Doom ? Somebody pinch me.

thesaintofkille said:
Um, by altering his origin ? By making some sort of new "Spider-man: chapter one" ? Believe me, if they wanted, they could mess with these characters.
wink.gif

My point was that NEWER comic book (which are AS MUCH for newer reader than they are for older one) are faithful to the OLDER comic book. What's so hard to understand here ?
Okay, I understand what you mean. (For once :p )

But still, film is different from the printed page. That's Film 101. They test these things on screeners. They don't just change the story for the hell of it.

Captain Walrus said:
Okay, I understand what you mean. (For once :p )

But still, film is different from the printed page. That's Film 101. They test these things on screeners. They don't just change the story for the hell of it.

But the thing with "tests", is that none of them are perfect. Someone might test something (like Doom's costume, let's say), and botch it. Someone else might try the same thing, and come up with a far greater result. If you can't adapt Doom in a fairly faithful way (and in a great way), then just pass the torch to someone who will be able to. :cool:

thesaintofkille said:
But the thing with "tests", is that none of them are perfect. Someone might test something (like Doom's costume, let's say), and botch it. Someone else might try the same thing, and come up with a far greater result.
Well, they have yet to perfect a better way of doing it.

thesaintofkille said:
What's with all of those "anti-original and faithful Doom" people ? Why would ANY fans of Doom NOT want Fox to make a faithful adaptation ?

I mean, I can understand people being optimist about a movie, but prefering that Fox make multiple changes to an ALREADY great character such as Doom ? Somebody pinch me.

Nobody here is preferring a less-faithful Doom to a more-faithful one. I know I'd take a Doom that was comic-faithful anyday of the week. I admit, I wasn't happy when I heard about the changes either. Anyone who knows me knows that I love the comic and I love the comic's (if not COMICS') greatest villain. What we are trying to do is take into account the changes they have made to Doom and justify them rationally. Am I saying we're supposed to like these changes? No. Some of us are just trying to make sense of them.

The way I see it, they aren't ABSOLUTELY DESTROYING the core aspects of Doom's character by making him into a CEO. Your average Joe American views the corporate world as power-hungry and villainous. Hell, the guy is so vain that he builds a gigantic statue dedicated to HIMSELF right in front of his own building. Maybe you see it as a complete and utter rape of the soul of Victor von Doom, but I don't.

If, by your logic, that makes me a bad Doom fan, then so be it.

I agree with the nutballs here who are lobbying for a more faithful Doom. I don't understand why people are willing to accept so many changes to their characters. If Ang Lee announced that the Hulk would be yellow and that he crashed to Earth inside a metorite and was then adopted by a couple of farmers, I'll expect to see people defending the changes.

There's only so much revisionism comic-fans are willing to put up with before they start screaming foul. FF4 has crossed the line, not just with Doom, but with a hell of lot of other changes that are completely unnecessary. I don't expect a comic-perfect FF4 and Doom, but I do expect a moderate amount of respect for the source material, of which I see very little (edit) so far.

Question, have you saw the film version of Doom?

Captain Walrus said:

They simply choose not to do so. You can't really believe that it's impossible to adapt a faithful character, can you? That would be unforgivably ignorant and gullible. These people are concerned with making the most money and appealing to the broadest audience. That does not mean for one second that they actually know what they're doing. It's rarely a mistake to underestimate the intelligence of the masses, but good screenwriting and competent designs can appeal to a broad audience as well as hardcore fans if people have the balls. So far, every Marvel movie other than maybe "Blade" and "The Punisher" has been made in a cowardly fashion. People don't want to risk getting the story right, because they assume the audience won't accept that. This is why some of the greatest television shows ever were prematurely cancelled or watered down. Executives assume that quality = bad business. Folowo that way of thinking if you want. It only makes you sa weakling and an annoyance to those that value imagination over shallow complacence.

darth_coolius said:
Blackstream sound a little pervvy to me, no offense. :) Blackmourne, change it to that. Dude, I'm gonna make a comic with the villian named that.

WTF?! My actual real family name is Blackstream, dude. It used to be Douglas, several generations ago back when our ancestors were still living in Scotland, but when they immigrated here in the 19th century, they translated it to Blackstream for some unknown reason (Douglas is gaelic for "black stream"). My father named me Jacobus in my grandfather's memory, and so my name on my birth certificate is Jacobus Blackstream. Everyone calls me Jake or Jacob, though. But you gotta admit that Jacobus Blackstream would be a badass supervillain name.

TheSumOfGod said:
WTF?! My actual real family name is Blackstream, dude. It used to be Douglas, several generations ago back when our ancestors were still living in Scotland, but when they immigrated here in the 19th century, they translated it to Blackstream for some unknown reason (Douglas is gaelic for "black stream"). My father named me Jacobus in my grandfather's memory, and so my name on my birth certificate is Jacobus Blackstream. Everyone calls me Jake or Jacob, though. But you gotta admit that Jacobus Blackstream would be a badass supervillain name.

Hell yes, it would.

Of course, Jacobus Blackmourne would also be a badass supervillain name. :doom:

Jacobus Blackstream laughs at your childish comment, Herr Logan, you infidel dog. "Blackmourne"? Blackmourne would be as idiotic a supervillain name as Victor VAN DAMME! I shall not spare you when the time of the great purification comes.

Jim Lee's Heros Reborn Saga is a perfect example of how to tell Victor's backstory in condensed form.

TheSumOfGod said:
Jacobus Blackstream laughs at your childish comment, Herr Logan, you infidel dog. "Blackmourne"? Blackmourne would be as idiotic a supervillain name as Victor VAN DAMME! I shall not spare you when the time of the great purification comes.

:eek:

Forgive me, Lord Blackstream. I meant no disrespect. :(

Will Doom be a sorceror or will his mom even be mentioned?

Docker said:
Will Doom be a sorceror or will his mom even be mentioned?

We don't know yet, but the signs are against it. I mean, it wouldn't be impossible for Fox to take a complete U-Turn and make Doom much more faithful, include magic, etc.

But don't get your hopes to high, it's hollywood we are talking about. ;)

Comic books CAN translate to movies -- literally, if need be -- if you've got enough creativity, passion and vision.

I give you "Sin City" as the example. Granted, it's the exception to the rule... but nonetheless it's there.

I don't think anyone expects (or maybe even wants) a scene-for-scene reconstruction of FF 5, Annual 2, 39-40, 57-60, 84-87, 196-200, 236, 258-260 etc.... but it can be done.

While this is the "Fantastic Four" and not 'Doom," I'm disappointed that FOX can't give Doom a little bit more thought (and respect for the source material) than they appear to have.

The movies were called "X-Men" and "X2" and not "Magneto," but Magneto had plenty of screen time and the character was pretty faithful to the source material. They said, "well... what do we know about Magneto? LET'S CHECK THE SOURCE MATERIAL, FOLKS! Charismatic old guy with white hair, check. Long history with Prof. X, check. Powerful mutant -- master of magnetism, check. Dresses in red and purple and has a Spartan-soldieresque helmet, check. Leader not a follower, check. Motivations stem from racial persecution as a child, check." They didn't make him a (lowly) human, or part tentacle monster, or a 16-year-old, or a woman, or a subterranean hermit with bug eyes, or a cyborg. And his motivations certainly didn't come from being a jilted lover of Jean Grey.

Captain Walrus said:

And they had yet to find a perfect way to make spidey's costume before the first Sony movie.
I'm sure that if they tried better, they could be able to make a great looking Doom that is faithful. ;)

If this were actually a faithful story that deserved filming, it would be good if Von Doom were portrayed as a Dracula-type figure with regard to his behavior once taking control of Latveria. The sorcery thing could be mentioned first as a rumor, just like it was rumored in Walachia that Vlad Dracula dipped his bread in blood instead of wine. The character Dr. Doom is very similar to Dracula in that he is brilliant, courageous, obsessed with order and justice and will horribly punish anyone who steps out of line in his land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"