Superman Returns I got the DVD!

ultimatefan

The Batman must come back
Reaction score
It´s been released here in Brazil on november 9 (I don´t have pics, but ask any Brazillian fans). First of all, I still very much enjoy this movie and continue to defend it, and it still puzzles me why some fans are so harsh with it. Call him whatever you want, Supes didn´t do anything out of malice and certainly didn´t make any unforgivable mistakes - definitely nothing worse than interfering with time continuum or abandoning his powers altogether. I wasn´t depressed or bored and he didn´t come off as mopey to me. I´ll conceide to some things - he could have fought somebody, Bosworth is a good actress but way too girly-looking, Lex was still a little too comedic and no, they shouldn´t have done another land plot.

On the DVD itself. the documentary on the shooting feels like a big video journal where you follow the production almost every step of the way - I missed a bit more on the post-production stuff, actually. You get to see a lot of important scenes in the movie as they´re shot. Here´s some highlights:

- Jon Peters stands next to Singer and admits the director had a better take - for you Singer haters, remember when Sean Penn was considered an ideal choice for the "eyes of a ****ing killer"?

- You get to see Brandon trying different glasses and getting a much needed haircut for his addition.

- The costume designer actually acknowledges she was bound to get some backlash for the changes in the costume, but she rightfully points out Superman still stands out as the brightest-looking character in the movie.

- You actually see Singer arguing with Guy Dyas (set designer?) over the Daily Planet globe, the director acknowledges his famous temper problems but states that he´s known to be getting more "mellow". Later on, he plays a prank on Dyas.

- A constant joke on the documentary is the guy asks Singer and Routh four or five times how it is to work together.

- Lotsa great wire footage, including Singer using it himself.

- It´s very apparent through the shooting how extensively the movie relied on practical FX.

- You see Routh on the gym and he looks in terrific shape. You see a lot of underwater preparation he did for the flying poses.

- You actually get to see the infamous backstage moment where Kevin runs around in the golf car dragging a Superman doll and saying "Superman must die!" with a bullhorn.

- During the farm shooting, Eva Marie at one point is all hands on Routh in his spaceship costume. She all but grabs his butt...

- In one of the best moments, in the end, after wrapping, Routh makes a speech in costume. Even though the actor comes off as nothing but nice through the documentary, he actually admits and apologizes for not being always nice, and recognizes he had some very stressful moments during shooting.

- My favorite blooper is Routh in costume walking in a very imposing way till he trips.

- Among the deleted scenes, there are some fun and amusing ones, but the only one that really could have added to the story is the "are you dating" one, where Clark gives his "not easy being who I am" speech that was in previews and there´s an explanation to how he justified his absence.

- They explain step by step how Brando was "resurrected" for the movie.

Nice review ultimate!:up: Can't wait to see the documentary and those pranks and bloopers sound hilarious.:woot: Sounds like the behind-the-scenes crew captured some great moments on- and off set.

BTW Guy Dyas is the production designer:cwink:

Thanks for info, I can't wait to see the part about Routh tripping:woot:

screencaps from teh gym and the muscle suits and brandon on wires.

thanks.

Hello.
Here In Argentina is out too. Same region, same edition. Really good, But I missed some post production stuff too.
2 things:

1. I missed the New Krypton scenes.
2. I heard the costume designer saying something like "Tell Brandon's trainer he can't go "too big" because the suits are not going to fit him. Arghhhhh!!
3. There is a easter egg on the deleted scenes selection screen (Please tell if it's not there, I don't have the discs here). You get the superman symbol at the end of the list with a clip about the many shots of Spacey saying "WROOOOONG!!!".

About the screen caps... It´s gonna have to wait a little, I don´t have equipment for that, my computer doesn´t read DVD (it´s not reading CDs at the moment, either), I don´t have a digital camera or webcam either. I´ll see if my niece can take some pics of the DVD for me to post here.

screenshots are actually illegal... I recommend not posting them.

I don't think screenshots are illegal. Wouldn't that be under fair use or something? Same as posting the cover of the DVD or the theatrical poster.

I could easily be wrong though.

I was in Cape Town this weekend and the DVD is everywhere! Released 10/11. I didn't buy it though because I already pre-ordered the 14 disc special edition as wel as the limited cover art double disc SR DVD. Figured I didn't kneed a third SR DVD.. It was just a single disc DVD with an "utlimate guide to the man of steel" book included.

Cool man, glad to see you already got it.

I think I've made my decision and am going with the Ultimate Collection afterall. I want SM1, SM2: Donner Cut, SR, and Look Up in the Sky, so I figure that's almost as much as buying the collection with II, III, and IV in it. Plus, I get other stuff.

EDIT: Actually, here are Best Buy online's prices...

Superman Ultimate Collection -- 79.99
Superman -- 29.99
Superman II -- 21.99
Superman II: Donner Cut -- 19.99
Superman III -- 14.99
Superman IV -- 14.99
Superman Returns (2 disc) -- 31.99
Look Up in the Sky -- 9.99

If those are the same in store on the 28th, and you're getting at least three of those, there's almost no reason not to get the UC. It's actually gonna save me some money. Plus, it comes in a nice box that takes up less space.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
I don't think screenshots are illegal. Wouldn't that be under fair use or something? Same as posting the cover of the DVD or the theatrical poster.

I could easily be wrong though.
unfortunately, the same thing goes for screenshots from either the DVD OR the behind the scenes... some kind of legal issues behind it, BlueTights has a policy as well, and a few of the posters there were advised to not post them. I'd be guessing that it'd be the same here.

Personally, I believe the UC is the best value and his a no-brainer if you have the money to spend. You get almost everything a Superman fan could want.

Well, one way or another my equipment right now isn´t good for taking caps... I´m gonna see if I can take some pics, at least me with the cover and stuff.

Oh, another funny thing I forgot to mention... They asked Tristan who´s his favorite hero, he said "Mr. Incredible"...

It´s on the DVD. About the car scene, there´s cool footage of Routh out of costume doing a rehearsal of getting under it and "holding" it and then shooting the scene in costume.

how much footage of Routh in suit is there... besides the movie?

Thanks, for the inofo ultimatefan. I enojyed this movie as well, and can't wait for the dvd. :up:
ultimatefan said:
- During the farm shooting, Eva Marie at one point is all hands on Routh in his spaceship costume. She all but grabs his butt...
That old skank...:o

Thanks for such great info on the DVD! How much is there behind the scene's of the actual suit development process, or if @ all? Is there any footage of Brandon trying on the suit for the 1st time?

How long is the footage of Brandon's workout and trying on glasses and the haricut? Could you put a timeframe on those? Thanks a ton!

kakarot069 said:
unfortunately, the same thing goes for screenshots from either the DVD OR the behind the scenes... some kind of legal issues behind it, BlueTights has a policy as well, and a few of the posters there were advised to not post them. I'd be guessing that it'd be the same here.
What legal issues? People post all types of dvd screencaps from the X3 dvd on these boards.Its not like this a bootleg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"