The Dark Knight I guess joker just applies make-up after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
but a new one will open after this one is closed......the permawhite debate won't stop until the film is released and we can see the complete accuracy of the character

It can alert Jesus to the site, but it can never be proved that a PM was sent; thus the site couldn't possibly be shut down. The only way WB could legally close the site would be if the pictures were posted in a public thread...

Let me say this one more time....High priced lawyers can screw up anything they get their greedy little minds on....you do not intimidate them, you do not provoke them, you do not antagonize them. Cease orders screw up things that you as a poster do not see or normally care about. There is a lot more to running a large message board than just coming here to post that you like a movie....and lawyers know how to mess with it.

So drop it already.

There are new Joker pics and I missed them?!!!......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doesn't matter, I get to see them come July.

you know what? im not a child lee. i get that. i just think 2 months off is a bit unreasonable. i think its a bit unfair to treat your members so harshly. but hey thats just me. you are the boss. weild that power however you feel you have too...

Thank you for your permission....I can sleep better now.:hehe:

the thread'll be shut down before we know it

keyser, you better get your closing remarks in soon =P

but a new one will open after this one is closed......the permawhite debate won't stop until the film is released and we can see the complete accuracy of the character
There's no reason a new one shouldn't be opened. The 20,000 limit is just for ease of indexing the board. A more encompassing title might be a good idea though; one that reflects how the discussion goes beyond simply whether or not Joker is wearing makeup, which is a foregone conclusion, but how that choice affects the character in contrast to what we know of him from his past incarnations.
Or not. That's just me babbling.

Now, if only we can find a way to eliminate the inevitable and occasional remarks of "Who cares", "Get over it" and the like. :o

There's no reason a new one shouldn't be opened. The 20,000 limit is just for ease of indexing the board. A more encompassing title might be a good idea though; one that reflects how the discussion goes beyond simply whether or not Joker is wearing makeup, which is a foregone conclusion, but how that choice affects the character in contrast to what we know of him from his past incarnations.

Now, if only we can find a way to eliminate the inevitable and occasional remarks of "Who cares", "Get over it" and the like. :o

A more encompassing title, that indicates the thread's shift to more general Joker debate?

Hmmmm........

How about "The Man Who Laughs: The Joker Thread"? That's kinda catchy...

Right, I think I'll just offer up my closing remarks for this thread now.

Over the past 797 pages, we've seen a whole multitude of thoughts and opinions on The Joker, stretching beyond speculation on whether his skin is permawhite or flesh-tone with white facepaint in "The Dark Knight", and into debate on what permawhite means to the character of The Joker, and the ramifications of losing it. And beyond that, at its best this thread has been a fascinating insight into what The Joker means to the fans who post here.

My conclusion? I of course wanted The Joker to be permawhite, and when it was revealed he'd just be wearing white facepaint I'll admit that, while I accepted it, I still would have preferred permawhite. That's how I would have done it, if I was making "The Dark Knight". But this new take on The Joker has really won me over, and while permawhte Joker will always be king in the comics, Christopher Nolan and Heath Ledger's vision of The Joker that just fits so perfectly into Nolan's Batverse. This Joker, to me, seems like the perfect nemesis for the Batman we were introduced to in "Batman Begins".

Some like this interpretation of The Joker. Some dislike it. And that's fine, everyone's welcome to their opinions. But what irks me is when people say "He's not permawhite, so this is not The Joker." Really? Look at every picture that's been released. And more importantly, look at the trailer. Permawhite or no permawhite, I look at these, and I see classic Joker, I see The Joker I've eagerly anticipated being brought to life on the big screen for so long. Yes, the aesthetics are different to The Joker of the comics, but from what I've seen, it seems to me that Nolan have absolutely captured the spirit of The Joker.

So, in closing, I return to a post I've made time and time again in this thread. A comment which I think perfectly sums up why, even without permawhite skin, Heath Ledger could very well become the definitive adaptation of The Joker:

JokerOpener.jpg

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I DOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOO that defines me! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

A more encompassing title, that indicates the thread's shift to more general Joker debate?

Hmmmm........

How about "The Man Who Laughs: The Joker Thread"? That's kinda catchy...

I think the new thread should be called "2 Fast 2 Permawhite".

As for what the latest pictures mean: I'm a little bit surprised by all the post-hoc justification for the liberties that Nolan has taken with the character. A lot of the arguments in favor of the makeup hinged on the idea that it was okay, as long as we don't see the Joker without his makeup applied. Now, apparently that's all gone out the window.

And while I agree that some stripping away of details could allow for a deep, albeit different, look at the what drives the Joker, I've always thought that if you peel away too many essential details you lose that character altogether. Has that happened here? Maybe, maybe not. But either way, I think it's safe to say that Nolan's running quite a creative risk with what he's done.

As for Ledger's performace affecting things, I'll say this: By all accounts Heath has turned in a great performance of the character that was depicted in scripted in TDK. However great that performance may be, it has no bearing whatsoever on the fidelity of that character (as scripted) to the Joker that has existed since 1940.

All that being said, I'm still stupidly excited for this movie.

PS: I just read Keyser Soze's (typically) well thought-out and well-articulated closing arguments in this thread. While I disagree with certain of those ideas, I fully respect the opinons. However, I think that nickyg, as the grand wizard of permawhite supremacy, should deliver the rebuttal.

I think people should think of it like this way: Some people hide themself thru makeup but this Joker hides himself by NOT having any makeup at all, he is Joker he has no real name, the god damn police don't have any clue who he might be and for all we know, maybe he even burned off his fingerprints and such just to avoid getting caught on some burglar stuff and so on.

I don't see these splotches of white every one is talking about. I really think it's just the lighting.

so, i'm going to risk this here. i'm not asking for a PM, and i'm not asking for a link.

however, if a PM happened to be sent to me, well, there is not much i can do about that is there?

just want to know, uh, y'know, for insurance reasons.........

would i face a ban for recieving a PM?

They are pictures of The Joker as a cop without makeup, and The Joker as a nurse, and a dead Batman pretender. None of them are so mindblowingly cool that you're missing anything if you haven't seen them. They actually look pretty ridiculous for the most part. They reveal story points that ANYONE who has followed this production remotely closely is already aware of.

While I fully understand the lawyer/Hype interplay, I think it's a bit harsh to start banning people for asking for these. Not everyone reads stickies or understands the banning rules. Even longtime posters.

And to those of you begging for PMs, these pictures have leaked. They are all over the net. If you cannot find these thigns online in a matter of seconds, you are either not trying, or you don't know how to find things online in a matter of seconds.

I loathe the makeup job on this version of The Joker. Maybe in certain lighting...

I loathe the makeup job on this version of The Joker. Maybe in certain lighting...

Yeah I'm intrigued but not wowed by the pics. However- did you notice on the cop one that his base seems to be white, though perhaps muted by foundation (skin color) makeup? Maybe he is perma under it all?

Yeah I'm intrigued but not wowed by the pics. However- did you notice on the cop one that his base seems to be white, though perhaps muted by foundation (skin color) makeup? Maybe he is perma under it all?

stop being so hopeful
this joker is not prema white, or tainted white, he just puts all the make up on!
ie taste fot eh theatrics like gordon say!!!!!!!

Nolan disappointed me so much with this "Joker" :dry:

Personally i can get past the face painting thing b/c Nolan seems to have gotten the original characterization of the Joker down perfect. Not too goofy like the 60s incarnation and more dark like originally written.

Plus....the movie hasn't come out yet, i'm sure it will surprise the skeptics in all of us.

They are pictures of The Joker as a cop without makeup, and The Joker as a nurse, and a dead Batman pretender. None of them are so mindblowingly cool that you're missing anything if you haven't seen them. They actually look pretty ridiculous for the most part. They reveal story points that ANYONE who has followed this production remotely closely is already aware of.

While I fully understand the lawyer/Hype interplay, I think it's a bit harsh to start banning people for asking for these. Not everyone reads stickies or understands the banning rules. Even longtime posters.

And to those of you begging for PMs, these pictures have leaked. They are all over the net. If you cannot find these thigns online in a matter of seconds, you are either not trying, or you don't know how to find things online in a matter of seconds.

They sound very interesting. If only I had been here to request the pictures before it was a bannable offense. :csad:

...but some people really dont care how nolan adapts the characters. its his vision let him have it i say. some people will love it,some will hate it,but most everyone will see it :hoboj:

I think we should appreciate his use of the comics, unlike some former directors....lol i won't say names.

...but some people really dont care how nolan adapts the characters. its his vision let him have it i say. some people will love it,some will hate it,but most everyone will see it :hoboj:
I understand that there are a number of different views on the issue; I welcome that. What burns my biscuit is when someone who is allegedly indifferent to the matter pops in and trivializes the views of those who have an opinion, regardless of what side it falls on.

There are tons of threads out there that are premised upon a topic that I couldn't care less about. Consequently, I simply don't post in them. It's not asking for too much to have the same courtesy extended here. Contribute something or don't bother at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"