I guess joker just applies make-up after all

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight' started by Micah12345, Jul 15, 2007.

?

What do you think of the latest pic of heath ledger as mista J?

1. Yes its fine that he's a regualr guy that applies white make-up

2. No because his skin should be bleached like its always been

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shape In the shadows

Many do want the latter, though, and I don't think that's a problem. There are plenty of fans of each possible angle that can be taken.

2. Closerframe Registered

After viewing Batman Begins three years ago, I knew Joker wouldn't be permawhite, I'm not saying it would be better if in fact he was permawhite in the new movie, because in all reality I don't know since the movie won't be released until July. I like the concept of taking a character into a new direction, I'm one of the few who says I like him better with make-up because it does make him seem more insane.

3. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Ninjas in the himilayas plotting the destruction of citys with microwave emitters and fear toxin does not fit in the slightest when placed in the real world.

NEXT! :oldrazz:

4. Charlie The Red Registered

And don't take offense when I say "stop posting here." I'm not trying to tell you guys to shut up or anything.

What I'm saying is, you're not getting what you want with this new film. It might be time to open up your minds and accept it, and move on. Be optimistic about it.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

5. Charlie The Red Registered

Ninjitsu is a real martial art with historical validity.

People plot the destruction of cities all the time. I do recall a major attack on a city occuring, oh, seven years ago, some time in September. Maybe that was a dream?

6. Closerframe Registered

I don't think Nolan intends this to be a real life drama. Don't forget Batman is a superhero, and The Dark Knight is still a superhero movie at heart. There were lots of things in Batman Begins that were unrealistic.

7. The Shape In the shadows

True, but planes hitting a building can happen. Microwave emitters and fear toxin don't exists.

8. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

But they don't sit in the Himilayas worrying and plotting about the balance of the world.

Chemicals that bleach your skin and hair very much exist.

Millionaires who dress up in capes and pointy eared cowls, and drive around in black tanks do not.

9. Saint Registered

And yet you remain on the forum--despite the fact that nothing you say means anything, since the movie has already been filmed.

This is a discussion forum. We are here to discuss. Critical examination is a good a topic for discussion as any, and therefore there will be people who are critical of the film. It's not pointless, because it serves what everyone is here for: discussion. The only thing that's pointless is complaining about the fact that people are having conversations you don't like.

10. StylishHokie21 Registered

Nolan's film was far from realistic.

11. Mister J Ya Get What Ya ****ing Deserve!

Well said and sad that it still bears repeating, once again.

12. TNC9852002 Banned User

I'm pretty sure that there does exist similar devices.

-TNC

13. SpiderB Still no title.

EXCELLENT post. You hit the nail on the head. This is a point I gave up trying to explain long ago. The makeup and the scar serve the exact same purpose as the permawhite/chemical bath. It's simply a more metaphorical or psychological take on it.

14. The Shape In the shadows

Thank you. I agree that all of the psychological and metaphorical aspects are still clearly there, and they both have their own different disfigurments, but I think TDK is as good of a Joker as we could get. I really think the reason most people have a problem with the makeup is simply because his look is different from the comics. People don't like the grungy Joker, and that's fine. Everyone has their opinion, but when people complain that this isn't true to the character...well, that's simply not true.

15. Sandouras Registered

"But its not like teh comics! This isnt the joker!!!! "

As if Jack was.

16. Micah12345 Registered

one my post in my epic thread

17. Micah12345 Registered

18. Octoberist point blank

very close huh? how sad..

19. The Shape In the shadows

To Mister J -- I think you might as well allow the creation of a sequel thread for this one. This is famous, and some great discussions (and really bad ones) have taken place in here. The next one should even keep the same classic title -- " I guess joker just applies make-up after all...part 2"

20. Solidus Knights of Ren

And yea I think that many have not even given it the chance yet. I have a feeling when the movie comes out, new change is always seen with skepticism. That is normal and completely fine. But if it is a great role, which it seems clearly it may be, that in years people will love it, and care for it. And nothing wrong with that.

And do I blame people for wanting that something represents wider range of comic continuity? Not at all. Everyone may do so. But if we always do that, we may miss out on cool creative ideas and new directions for the characters we love.

And it seems this Joker will be well received and is well received. And of course not everyone. But I do not say that you can't want the permawhite. More power to ya. I see where you're coming from. And I do understand the sentiments completely.

21. Luchastyle is awesome

i don't think a sequel for this should be allowed =)

there's nothing more to say. but that's just me

22. Crook Registered

Well duh. :o

On the other hand, one can argue that there must also be some sort of guideline or blueprint set, to prevent negative alterations/deviations. It's not a no-holds-barred, in name of creativity, type of situation. However, the debate is in what is within these guidelines. Which makes the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round...

23. Luchastyle is awesome

24. Mister J Ya Get What Ya ****ing Deserve!

I concur.

Initially, I thought a new title would be more befitting, but I like the 'continuity' of this name too. It depends on who starts it.

25. Crook Registered

If I had my way, it'd be:

"I guess we're still arguing about the make-up & permawhite after all"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.