I think this deserves its own thread...Josh Trank denounces Fantastic Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, the more I'm learning about Trank the more I'm starting to dislike him. I mean, I never cared for him really. "Chronicle" was cool though. But yeesh the dude sounds like a grade A dick.

Seeing as how it was Miles he was getting into it with, I bet it was him who said this:

Days before Fantastic Four opened, director Josh Trank sent an email to some members of the cast and crew to say he was proud of the film, which, he wrote, was “better than 99 percent of the comic-book movies ever made.”

“I don’t think so,” responded one cast member.

From the rest of the stories going around, I'm starting to think the "I don't think so" came from Teller. It's clear he didn't get along with Trank, and it fits his personality. I could be wrong, but that's my suspicion. Although it would be even funnier if it were MBJ!

I was looking at an interview today with the cast about the film and I dunno if they were just tired but they looked so uninterested in the movie. Especially Miles. He just looked like he didn't give a **** about the interview lol

Wow...

Trank initially fought hard to get Teller cast in the film, winning out over Fox’s objections. But the director and actor’s relationship later turned sour. According to a story in this week's Entertainment Weekly, Trank and Teller did not get along on the set of the film; Trank was allegedly withdrawn during production, and Teller is frequently sarcastic, making for a bad combination. Things got so bad at one point, in fact, that Trank and Teller’s disagreement brought them chest-to-chest, daring one another to throw the first punch (Teller didn’t have the benefit of Mr. Fantastic’s super-stretchy arms in real life).

Yahoo
That specific detail actually doesn't bother me too much. I can imagine a great director and a great actor getting into a confrontation like that.

If some of that passion had actually made it to the screen, maybe the film wouldn't have been so lifeless.

Yeah, I've been in some VERY heated "discussions" on sets before, and with people with whom I was good friends.

I will be shocked if there ends up being any litigation involved with this fiasco.

Yeah, it sounds like a waste of time and effort. Just take the loss and move on.

So if Trank clashed with Miles and bullied Kate, that is at least 2 of the 5 leads he had problems with.

Yeah. I remember the fuss made about that statement just prior to the film's release. Some really wanted to downplay that, but it was bad news no matter how you cut it if you were looking forward to the movie. I get the feeling Teller was already working on his exit plan.

That specific detail actually doesn't bother me too much. I can imagine a great director and a great actor getting into a confrontation like that.

If some of that passion had actually made it to the screen, maybe the film wouldn't have been so lifeless.

Me neither. Just in this case it's a mediocre director and an overrated actor (that I enjoyed immensely in Whiplash, not much in everything else he did) getting into a confrontation. They were probably driven by their egos much more than they were by passion.

Miles Teller is NOT an overrated actor. Maybe you've seen the following movies, maybe not, but it's not just Whiplash, it's also Rabbit Hole, or The Spectacular Now. Even in lighter, broader stuff like Two Night Stand, or Footloose, or 21 & Over, he's always a standout.

Yeah I think Teller is a good actor whom has the potential to get even better as the years go by.

Trank has shown talent but his future depends on him cutting out the whiny man-child antics.

Miles Teller is NOT an overrated actor. Maybe you've seen the following movies, maybe not, but it's not just Whiplash, it's also Rabbit Hole, or The Spectacular Now. Even in lighter, broader stuff like Two Night Stand, or Footloose, or 21 & Over, he's always a standout.

I have seen The Spectacular Now and 2 Night Stand and I found him good not great in those. I've seen Footlose as well a few years ago and couldn't even remember he was in it.

I should have said overrated IMO.

Teller is a great actor. Really like him and enjoy watching him perform. I say the same about MBJ (although Im not that hyped about Creed)

Bell is good too although I don't like that many of his movies much. Mara Ive seen in HoC, Transcendence, and FFINO and she's good I just wanna see more range from her. Her characters are always seem too cold and stoic

Did Trank tell Teller his performance was not quite his tempo? ;)

Jamie Bell's character was the best thing in Jumper. I own a few of Bell's Indie movies such as The Chumscrubber, Dear Wendy and Hallam Foe on DVD.

Kate Mara is in one of my favourite guilty pleasure movies, Ironclad.

Last edited:
Did Trank tell Teller his performance was not quite his tempo? ;)

Jamie Bell's character was the best thing in Jumper. I own a few of Bell's Indie movies such as The Chumscrubber, Dear Wendy and Hallam Foe on DVD.

Kate Mara is in one of my favourite guilty pleasure movies, Ironclad.

Perfect example of a movie with a great idea but poor execution. If they really darkened up the tone of that movie and lost the love interest subplot I think it wouldve been something really good.

Yeah on the cast, I'm not a supporter of this movie but I will say they had a good cast. I know this may not be a popular opinion, and I apologize for it, but I don't mind having a young FF. I've seen the cast interviews of Bell, Teller, Mara and Jordan and they get along really well you can tell. I think they could have been a good FF team, albleit maybe not the most accepted or conventional one, if they had the right script and direction, and not the bad writing and direction this movie have (Plus having a director that didn't control your blinking and breathing would be nice...)

It's a shame they were wasted

I said from the get-go that I didn't mind the cast. I liked it, in fact. The only person who really threw me was Jamie Bell.

Imagine if these four were, you know, allowed to have fun and stuff.

I said from the get-go that I didn't mind the cast. I liked it, in fact. The only person who really threw me was Jamie Bell.

Well, he turns into a rock creature, so uh, guess it got a pass.

But Trank was prob like:

"Trank: Okay, I need you to blink at approximaley when I move hand to the left...okay...you need to be gloomy as possible, cause this movie is gonna be and should be Nolan Meets FF....

Teller: I don't think so

Trank: Teller! What'd you say to me? Huh, you wanna go?

Teller (in this head): Great, now I wish I had stretching powers

I apologize for the bad joke

Teller strikes me as the kind of guy who probably recognized that this was a disaster the second he signed on the dotted line.

If the movie was a surprise success, he gets a good boost in commercial appeal.
If it crashed and burned, he's made enough of an impression in smaller independent films to continue getting work. And like George Clooney and B&R, he can use this as the butt of jokes for years to come.

The situation had high upside and minimal risk. I doubt he had any delusions about this project.

These four young actors may be talented, but to me they are just not the Fantastic Four that I have in mind, and even with a better script and director they still won't change my mind.

Eh, I disagree. They could have been great with a good script/director.

The latest news from EW is that Trank and Teller hated each other so much they almost got into a fistfight on set.

Eh, I disagree. They could have been great with a good script/director.

I know some people said they were going for the Ultimate FF look, but the only FF that I think they should've made is the 616 version. I want Reed Richards to be older and the smartest person in the room, not a boy who looks fresh out of high school (yes, I know Teller is older, but he still looks like a kid).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88