I think this deserves its own thread...Josh Trank denounces Fantastic Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of these articles coming out now scrutinizing everything that went wrong read like an indictment of Fox's rights grab. :woot:

I simply cannot see how another ill conceived sequel/reboot attempt to shoehorn the FF into a Fox-verse with the X-Men is ever going to work. Not with comic fans, the GA, and now the press calling them out and exposing them for being a poor quality knock off.

Fox already has a graveyard of poorly handled properties, and they seem hell bent on burying the FF in that same graveyard and keeping them buried there at all costs.

It's just Trank being Trank.

Trank: Fantastic Four is better than 99% of the superhero movies out there!
Fant4stic scores a 9% on RT.

Trank: ... actually, yeah, this version is utter ****. What I meant was, my cut was great... You'll probably never see it. Thatsrealitytho.
The "Trank Cut" leaks online, and gets universally panned.

Trank: Yeah, yeah. Ok, some Fox suits turned every cut of the movie into garbage... But I wrote a brilliant script, I swear!
His draft leaks. It's even worse than the "Trank Cut".

Trank: It was all that Slater kid! Studio had me working with some idiot named Jeremy Slater. Read my treatment. THAT was good stuff!
Trank's treatment leaks. Just as terrible.

Trank: Goddamit! Well at some point, when I was brainstorming Fantastic Four in my head... it was great.

Trank's brainscan released online. It's mostly fantasies about the Invisible Girl.

All of these articles coming out now scrutinizing everything that went wrong read like an indictment of Fox's rights grab. :woot:

I simply cannot see how another ill conceived sequel/reboot attempt to shoehorn the FF into a Fox-verse with the X-Men is ever going to work. Not with comic fans, the GA, and now the press calling them out and exposing them for being a poor quality knock off.

Fox already has a graveyard of poorly handled properties, and they seem hell bent on burying the FF in that same graveyard and keeping them buried there at all costs.
How can someone justify keeping their jobs if they now hand over two franchises to Marvel-Disney that are turned around and made profitable?

No one is making a Tron sequel if Disney doesn't so they are just cutting their losses and saving money.

How can someone justify keeping their jobs if they now hand over two franchises to Marvel-Disney that are turned around and made profitable?

No one is making a Tron sequel if Disney doesn't so they are just cutting their losses and saving money.

Businesses divest assets all of the time. Holding on to a loss generating franchise because someone might be able to turn it around isn't business savvy. And given that they could potentially trade the property for something that can expand and strengthen a much more successful property, keeping the rights could bring calls for some "reorganization."

The Hollywood Reporter summary of Trank's alleged behaviour during shooting and Fox's mishandling of the movie

Trank sent a email to select members of the cast days before the movie was released in which he said Fantastic Four was "better than 99 percent of the comic-book movies ever made," he received a response from one cast member saying only: "I don’t think so."

Trank sounds like a immature egomaniac who was out of his depth.

I want to know who that one cast member is.

I want to know who that one cast member is.

MT-I-dont-think-so_zpsigde9tmw.gif

Trank claimed (and he could very well have been lying) a two hour ten minute first cut. But now reports are saying it had no ending?

Considering the amount of times Trank has lied during this production, it wouldn't surprise me.

So with Trank being exiled from FOX I assume we'll never get a director's cut...but how likely do you guys think it'll be that we get some sort of "extended/alternate" cut of the film for home video release? You know, a cut that restores all that cut footage. Or do you think FOX won't even bother wasting its time?

He wasn't on set every day. He was working on other projects at the same time, namely Star Wars and Apocalypse. The producer is not a babysitter that is there 24/7. The director is in charge of the set.

Kinberg was only pulled away from other projects during the reshoots, he was present for the whole of the rest of the shoot as he was the writer. Jordan even said that Kinberg was on set every day rewriting the script during the primary shooting.

I imagine that Kinberg will be keeping his head down for a while (he seems to have managed to keep his name out of most of the stories that have been coming out) although he probably managed to get some goodwill from Disney at least when he reported Trank's behaviour to them.

Were Trank's original 3 action scenes ever even filmed though? I thought I read that Fox slashed them during the scripting process.

The Thing being used as a weapon may or may not have not been one of those original action sets.

I remember the Thing army base scenes only showing up in the trailers after the reshoots started. It could be that it was one of the cut action scenes, that Fox then shot to try and add some action, then re-cut because they couldn't finish it cheaply enough. Or maybe they filmed it solely to have trailer material.

So with Trank being exiled from FOX I assume we'll never get a director's cut...but how likely do you guys think it'll be that we get some sort of "extended/alternate" cut of the film for home video release? You know, a cut that restores all that cut footage. Or do you think FOX won't even bother wasting its time?
I think they will do an extended cut, there wouldn't be any other reason to buy it.

There will be an "extended cut" like how other releases have "extended cuts" that are really barely 5 minutes long.

I still think that response could've been any cast member. But, Teller did say those comments about the RT score probably going to be low, so...

An extended cut would be a good way to build consumer incentive to buy it, because as of right now, I'd be shocked if anyone bought the blu ray. Maybe if FOX promotes it as the "True version" or "Original cut" then it will attract some people. I'll be honest, I'd be very interested to see the extra footage and give the film another shot.

An extended cut would be a good way to build consumer incentive to buy it, because as of right now, I'd be shocked if anyone bought the blu ray. Maybe if FOX promotes it as the "True version" or "Original cut" then it will attract some people. I'll be honest, I'd be very interested to see the extra footage and give the film another shot.
Wishlist:
+ Tons of b-footage
+ Commentary from Trank
+ Production videos.

In general blu-rays in value have dimished because people rather pay for subscriptions like Netflix than buy discs that don't offer anything. Hence why blu-ray prices are so deliciously low too.

Commentary on the extended BR cut:

Trank: And here in this scene, you can see why I think this movie is better than 99% of the comic book movies out there.

Teller: I don't think so.

MBJ: They'll still see it anyway.

Commentary on the extended BR cut:

Trank: And here in this scene, you can see why I think this movie is better than 99% of the comic book movies out there.

Teller: I don't think so.

MBJ: They'll still see it anyway.

In the middle of the commentary Trank gets fired. Some studio person comes into the room and drags a screaming Trank away. Teller and MBJ cough 1-2 times, and then they leave too.

It only took 26 years to get the Donner Cut of SUPERMAN II.....so there may be an extended or alternate cut of FF.

Well, the difference here is since the movie is losing FOX money do they have any real incentive to do a special cut of the movie? I mean, as critically panned as Daredevil was, it still made money so FOX had incentive to let the director do a director's cut. Would they even bother in this case?

Well, the difference here is since the movie is losing FOX money do they have any real incentive to do a special cut of the movie? I mean, as critically panned as Daredevil was, it still made money so FOX had incentive to let the director do a director's cut. Would they even bother in this case?

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't bother. But for the sake of argument, let's pretend that they want to release one. Now, we have questions.

1) Did Trank even shoot all of his material?
2) Are the VFX completed or even started on some scenes?
3) Who will oversee this, since Trank is pretty much gone?

There are probably far more questions than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"