I Want 1080p on My XBOX 360 (Premium Edition)

DIRECTOR

Superhero
Reaction score
Any chance this is possible? I think it's unfair that I got the Premium XBOX 360 (with no HDMI support) and the only possible HD quailty I can get is through the component cables that came with the box, but it only can go up to 1080i, not the full 1080p

Is there any news on an add on or exchange the Premium/Core versions of the 360 for a system with HDMI for a charge?????

They already included 1080p. There's even a few games that support it.

well, ya, but i'm talking about the 360's that doesn't have the HDMI port in the back, the people that bought the 360's when it first came out

Why do you want HDMI so bad when components work just as well?

The only benefit HDMI has is that it's all in one plug.

Why do you want HDMI so bad when components work just as well?

The only benefit HDMI has is that it's all in one plug.
Component can only give you 1080i, versus HDMI can give you 1080p, if you have a big TV, you can see the difference

I think component can also give you 1080p...the problem is that there aren't a lot of TVs that support 1080p via component...at least that's what I remember reading. VGA also gives you 1080p.

well, there is no VGA port on the back of the 360, so i can only count on Component

It sucks that my 360 doesn't have a HDMI port and i have at 1080P HDTV

well, there is no VGA port on the back of the 360, so i can only count on Component

It sucks that my 360 doesn't have a HDMI port and i have at 1080P HDTV

You can use VGA. all 360's have that ability.

The difference between 1080i and 1080p isn't noticeable anyway.

They do but you have to make sure your TV supports 1080p via Component. Some TVs don't.
well, my TV is 1080p supported, but, when i play say an HD-DVD or game on the 360 hooked up to component, and i check the resolution my tv is projecting it says 1080i. i'm i doing anything wrong, i have the 360 set up to 1080p in the settings, but when i play a game or hd-dvd, it says 1080i

well, my TV is 1080p supported, but, when i play say an HD-DVD or game on the 360 hooked up to component, and i check the resolution my tv is projecting it says 1080i. i'm i doing anything wrong, i have the 360 set up to 1080p in the settings, but when i play a game or hd-dvd, it says 1080i

If you'd listen to what he is saying, he told you that-

It is possible to support 1080p through component cables, However your TV has to allow 1080p through component cables.

Most TVs need the HDMI wires to do 1080p, which your TV obviously needs.

So, your TV can play 1080p but it does not allow 1080p through component cables, some TVs do, You would need HDMI, which the first 360's do not support.

So your best bet is to try VGA, other than that there is nothing you can do.

My TV supports 1080p, but it does not work through the component cables, I tried it with my xbox and it automatically switches back to 1080i

If you'd listen to what he is saying, he told you that-

It is possible to support 1080p through component cables, However your TV has to allow 1080p through component cables.

Most TVs need the HDMI wires to do 1080p, which your TV obviously needs.

So, your TV can play 1080p but it does not allow 1080p through component cables, some TVs do, You would need HDMI, which the first 360's do not support.

So your best bet is to try VGA, other than that there is nothing you can do.

My TV supports 1080p, but it does not work through the component cables, I tried it with my xbox and it automatically switches back to 1080i
sorry, i was confused.

So, your saying that the VGA cable will project 1080p??

this is the tV i have, and if you look at the description of the TV, it says "This LCD HDTV offers 1080Pure™ - 1080p resolution out of all HD inputs (including component)"
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=125

sorry, i was confused.

So, your saying that the VGA cable will project 1080p??

this is the tV i have, and if you look at the description of the TV, it says "This LCD HDTV offers 1080Pure™ - 1080p resolution out of all HD inputs (including component)"
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=125

The link mentions that the this "LCD HDTV offers 1080Pure™ - 1080p resolution out of all HD inputs (including component)".
So it should support 1080p via VGA AND Component. I have no idea why it says 1080i when you play a game or HD DVD.

You have to go into the settings menu in the dashboard of the 360 to change the 360 settings to 1080p. Did you do that? When I tried it went black and then refreshed back to 1080i because my TV doesn't support it through component cables, but if you switch it to 1080p and it stays at 1080p than it should be working.

You have to go into the settings menu in the dashboard of the 360 to change the 360 settings to 1080p. Did you do that? When I tried it went black and then refreshed back to 1080i because my TV doesn't support it through component cables, but if you switch it to 1080p and it stays at 1080p than it should be working.

Ya, i did change the setting on the dashboard. I changed it to 1080p. When i check what the TV is displaying it says 1080p, but if i pop in a game or a HD-DVD, it says 1080i on the TV??????????? :(

Ya, i did change the setting on the dashboard. I changed it to 1080p. When i check what the TV is displaying it says 1080p, but if i pop in a game or a HD-DVD, it says 1080i on the TV??????????? :(

Then I guess, despite what that website says, for whatever reason your tv won't accept 1080p through component cables (mine won't either) It should work with VGA, but unless you trade your 360 in for one with an HDMI port, you aren't going to be going HDMI.

IGN.com
In addition to the fall update that will allow the 360 to internally up-scale to 1080p,
Microsoft is launching an HD-DVD add-on for the X360 in mid-November for $199. Obviously, Microsoft is making a serious move in the realm of 1080p, but without support for an HDMI connection.

This will leave many folks in a bit of a quandary. There are very few HDTVs that accept a 1080p signal through anything other than HDMI. The best signal that many of these 1080p displays are able to accept via analog connections is 1080i, which is de-interlaced by the HDTV's internal circuitry to convert it back to 1080p. This is essentially exactly what these displays would do when accepting 1080i from the 360 right now. It seems Xbox 360's new 1080p prowess may not amount to much in practice.

To try to get to the bottom of this situation, IGN contacted Microsoft and asked a few tough questions. Plenty of questions remain -- we're waiting to hear even more from the company -- but here's what we have so far.

IGN: Will games begin to be developed with 1080p as the native resolution, or is the 360's new 1080p support an advance in the console's internal scaling abilities?

Microsoft: If developed, the Xbox 360 will support playback of native 1080p games and all existing Xbox 360 titles can be up-scaled to 1080p.

IGN : Does the Xbox 360 have the internal bandwidth between CPUs and graphics processors necessary to move a full 1080p image? There's a big difference between 1080i and the 3GB/s of 1080p.

Microsoft: *updated* Yes, the Xbox 360 has the necessary internal bandwidth between CPUs and graphics processors to move a full 1080p image.

IGN: There are very few 1080p native HDTVs that accept 1080p via Component connections. The signal will only come in as 1080i and be de-interlaced back to 1080p. How is the 360's new 1080p support, in practical application, going to be any different than what was already possible?

Microsoft: We can offer 1080p support through both the VGA connection and the Component connection.
IGN: Could Microsoft theoretically release an HDMI dongle-cable like the various other cables already available for the console? Is the current 360 hardware able to output a digital signal, or is it restricted to analog?

Microsoft: Xbox 360 supports HD Component video output, which is compatible with nearly every HD ready TV on the market today. That's not yet true for HDMI. We are watching the market closely and will continue to evaluate our solution, in the face of consumer demand.
Microsoft's current response doesn't yet explain how the company can rectify its claimed support of 1080p with the fact that the 360 doesn't support the connection (HDMI) that will actually allow most 1080p HDTVs to display the signal. While the VGA solution may work for a minority of 1080p HDTV owners, we're left wondering if Microsoft is promoting this new 1080p capability primarily to blunt the onslaught of the PlayStation 3, which supports HDMI and 1080p.

Back in the days before the 360 launched, Microsoft stated that HDMI wires for the Xbox 360 would be released "when the market called for them." If the Xbox 360 is really going to be a 1080p machine, we're pretty sure the market is calling for HDMI wires right now. The next question is whether Microsoft will hear it.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/735/735904p1.html

Obviously this is from awhile ago.

Some games do not support 1080p, So perhaps the game you are trying to play does not. If your tv accepts the 360 switching to 1080p in the dashboard, than that means your tv accepts 1080p signals through component cables. Like I said, my tv does not and when I tried to it went black and switched back to 1080i. Your TV stays at 1080p which means it works.

So it must be some other factor.

IGN.com

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/735/735904p1.html

Obviously this is from awhile ago.

Some games do not support 1080p, So perhaps the game you are trying to play does not. If your tv accepts the 360 switching to 1080p in the dashboard, than that means your tv accepts 1080p signals through component cables. Like I said, my tv does not and when I tried to it went black and switched back to 1080i. Your TV stays at 1080p which means it works.

So it must be some other factor.
interesting, thanks for the info Geo7877. I tried playing HALO 3, which supports 1080p, and all HD-DVD's are 1080p right? But no luck there.

The news is a bit dated, i wonder if the solution that Microsoft came up with is the new 360's with the HDMi port or the Elite.

Because looking at this quote:
"Microsoft: We can offer 1080p support through both the VGA connection and the Component connection."

this statement is untrue because the 360 can't product 1080p with either cable with a HDTV that is 1080p ready, unless somebody out there can prove me wrong.

interesting, thanks for the info Geo7877. I tried playing HALO 3, which supports 1080p, and all HD-DVD's are 1080p right? But no luck there.

The news is a bit dated, i wonder if the solution that Microsoft came up with is the new 360's with the HDMi port or the Elite.

Because looking at this quote:
"Microsoft: We can offer 1080p support through both the VGA connection and the Component connection."

this statement is untrue because the 360 can't product 1080p with either cable with a HDTV that is 1080p ready, unless somebody out there can prove me wrong.

You're not understanding me... You say that you switch the settings in the dashboard to 1080p, and it works, right? It refreshes and the tv says it's using 1080p.

That means that your TV accepted using 1080p with the 360. Why it isn't staying at 1080p when you play games is beyond me. But the fact that it accepted 1080p as a setting means your TV allows it.

Most TVs will just deny the attempt at switching from 1080i to 1080p because they don't support it through Component cables, but your TV allowed it.

You're not understanding me... You say that you switch the settings in the dashboard to 1080p, and it works, right? It refreshes and the tv says it's using 1080p.

That means that your TV accepted using 1080p with the 360. Why it isn't staying at 1080p when you play games is beyond me. But the fact that it accepted 1080p as a setting means your TV allows it.

Most TVs will just deny the attempt at switching from 1080i to 1080p because they don't support it through Component cables, but your TV allowed it.
mmmmm

ok, i guess i should call customer support, for both the 360 and my TV to see what's up. But, if 1080p comes out of the component, than that is great news for me, but i still want HDMI though :(

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggg

I was at work during this discussion. I played HALO 3, and it was in 1080p??? but, the main problem is when i play a HD-DVD, it's not in 1080p, it brings it down to 1080i. So, anyone know if it's a XBOX HD-DVD player problem??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"