I was called a racist today.

StrainedEyes

All the way up it!
Reaction score
So, my girlfriend and I live in a neighborhood of apartments, Each building has 2 apartments on the ground and 2 on the second floor. We live in an upstairs one. We have a spanish family that lives diagonal from us, so on the ground level but not underneath, Who at least one day every weekend, and at least one day during the week, has 4-6 relatives/friends come over, they all hang out outside anywhere from 3 o'clock to 11.

Our apartment has a sliding door, and sound travels through it like nothing else. So we hear every they say during their shindigs, like we were right there next to them. They talk extremely loud and have kids screaming fairly often. Yelling back and forth in spanish, we have to turn the air condition on full blast and raise the TV volume like 4x the usual just to drown it out. On one occasion before, we went out and asked them to try and be a little quieter, they seemed fine with it and controlled themselves.

Today they were going at it, for a good 2-3 hours, 4 guys who don't live there, and I guess the one guy who does live there. His wife and 2 daughters were inside the apartment. Finally, my girlfriend went outside and asked them if they could be a little more quiet, sound travels through the apartments easily, etc.. One of the guys response was "We don't live here" but they seemed to keep it down and 2 of them even left shortly after.

Then the final of the visitors, who I now know is the brother of the guy who lives in the apartment, starts talking to whoever was outside with him, in english, about how we asked them to be quite and I'm pretty sure the term "*******" was used. So we go out onto our balcony and try to talk to them again. It quickly escalates into our neighbor's brother cursing at us and telling us to call the cops and plug our ears if it bothers us so much. We are just trying to be reasonable, not cursing, but with raised voices to try to talk over them, trying to explain that we asked politely and that we just wanted to let them know it bothered us. The brother finally pulled the "I can't talk to this guy" routine and subsequently pulled the racist card. "That's racist, this guy is racist." Leaving me to ask "Are you serious?"

The wife and neighbor chimed in, saying they were within their rights to hang out in front of their apartment and that they could do so until 11 o'clock, we agreed and reiterated that we were just trying to respectfully bring up the issue. Brother kept cursing at us in front of our neighbor's daughters, blah blah. It ended when the neighbor was basically going in and shutting the door, leaving the brother sticking his head out of the balcony, trying to get in the last word. So we went back inside.

We have subsequently realized that the whole time, the cursing brother never acknowledged by girlfriend, despite her being the one who came out earlier. He also said "There he is" when I came out onto the balcony, even through we have never seen each other before. He also ignored anything she said and as far as we could tell never looked at her. So it's pretty clear that he had absolutely no respect for my girlfriend and this was a "men-only" situation.

How dare I ask someone to politely keep their voices down. I'm such a racist. :o

It's probably because you're a racist.

I have extremly loud neighbor's too, but at least they don't say random crap like that when we ask them to quite down.

Good lord...:dry:

Wow, that's messed up. I live in a 3-plex, I'm glad my neighbors are *****es.

Note to Geo... a new goal for 2009...

... get a new apartment...

end of note

So, my girlfriend and I live in a neighborhood of apartments, Each building has 2 apartments on the ground and 2 on the second floor. We live in an upstairs one. We have a spanish family that lives diagonal from us, so on the ground level but not underneath, Who at least one day every weekend, and at least one day during the week, has 4-6 relatives/friends come over, they all hang out outside anywhere from 3 o'clock to 11.

Our apartment has a sliding door, and sound travels through it like nothing else. So we hear every they say during their shindigs, like we were right there next to them. They talk extremely loud and have kids screaming fairly often. Yelling back and forth in spanish, we have to turn the air condition on full blast and raise the TV volume like 4x the usual just to drown it out. On one occasion before, we went out and asked them to try and be a little quieter, they seemed fine with it and controlled themselves.

Today they were going at it, for a good 2-3 hours, 4 guys who don't live there, and I guess the one guy who does live there. His wife and 2 daughters were inside the apartment. Finally, my girlfriend went outside and asked them if they could be a little more quiet, sound travels through the apartments easily, etc.. One of the guys response was "We don't live here" but they seemed to keep it down and 2 of them even left shortly after.

Then the final of the visitors, who I now know is the brother of the guy who lives in the apartment, starts talking to whoever was outside with him, in english, about how we asked them to be quite and I'm pretty sure the term "*******" was used. So we go out onto our balcony and try to talk to them again. It quickly escalates into our neighbor's brother cursing at us and telling us to call the cops and plug our ears if it bothers us so much. We are just trying to be reasonable, not cursing, but with raised voices to try to talk over them, trying to explain that we asked politely and that we just wanted to let them know it bothered us. The brother finally pulled the "I can't talk to this guy" routine and subsequently pulled the racist card. "That's racist, this guy is racist." Leaving me to ask "Are you serious?"

The wife and neighbor chimed in, saying they were within their rights to hang out in front of their apartment and that they could do so until 11 o'clock, we agreed and reiterated that we were just trying to respectfully bring up the issue. Brother kept cursing at us in front of our neighbor's daughters, blah blah. It ended when the neighbor was basically going in and shutting the door, leaving the brother sticking his head out of the balcony, trying to get in the last word. So we went back inside.

We have subsequently realized that the whole time, the cursing brother never acknowledged by girlfriend, despite her being the one who came out earlier. He also said "There he is" when I came out onto the balcony, even through we have never seen each other before. He also ignored anything she said and as far as we could tell never looked at her. So it's pretty clear that he had absolutely no respect for my girlfriend and this was a "men-only" situation.

How dare I ask someone to politely keep their voices down. I'm such a racist. :o

Your neighbor's brother was just a *****e. End of story. As far as him not acknowledging your girlfriend at all, that's not a huge surprise to me. A lot of Latino men have some pretty mysoginistic views of women; especially ones who weren't born or raised in this country.

jag

Yeah, you should've asked him that. Har heeharhar har. hhhahaar.

har.

it sounds like that guy was trying to keep it real a little too much. you should have showed him what happens when keeping it real goes wrong. by the way what race were you offending?

That's pretty messed-up, but I gotta tell ya, I think you are outnumbered there- next time, call the cops- let them argue with them

They are racist. Added to that,you are most likely a skinny white boy. So,they think they can push you around. You need to have some force,if you need to use it.

Problem is, they're right. They're within their rights to talk as loudly as they want as long as it's not at some insane hour.

Problem is, they're right. They're within their rights to talk as loudly as they want as long as it's not at some insane hour.

That's right. This is AMERICA!

Where we say, "F**K TURNING THE MUSIC DOWN! I'M TURNING IT UP! SCREW YOU CANADA!"

A lot of Latino men have some pretty mysoginistic views of women; especially ones who weren't born or raised in this country.

jag

Easy now. . .

True, though the brother was clearly a *****e about it.

I have neighbors who get pretty load sometimes, but it doesn't really bother me. I know that if I was going to have a party I wouldn't want anyone telling me to keep it down. :o

I read what he said. :huh:

Easy now. . .

Am I wrong? My own father-in-law for example, who is Dominican, is rather misogynistic, actually and it's very much a cultural thing rather than just a generational thing. Several of my wife's cousins, who are my age or even much younger, are also very much this way. I grew up around a lot of Mexican kids and many of them also had this issue. I'm not saying all Latino men are misogynists at all, because they are not. But it is a very real part of many Latino cultures.

jag

Well, next time, stop giving that look...
:cmad:

I'm not saying all Latino men are misogynists at all, because they are not.

jag

As long as you realize that. :)

I knew what you meant, I'm was just sayin'...

...So you got offended even though you understand he wasn't trying to be offensive, just given an opinion based on experience? :confused:

As long as you realize that. :)

I knew what you meant, I'm was just sayin'...

If you knew what I meant then you shouldn't have had to say. ;)

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"