Comics Iceman has always been a jerk

Valechan

Superhero
Reaction score
I've just bought the X-Men: Rarities TPB, a thing I've seen far too many times and was always sort of afraid to buy because I didn't know what had in it. Anyway I bought it, and it has several stories, I presume they're from old Marvel Comics Presents or something. There is one story about the first night the All New All Different X-Men spent in the mansion, and in that story ICeman tells Kurt, Banshee and Colossus they should leave, they're not X-Man, he and the other four originals are the X-Men and the same garbage he was saying in Uncanny 421. It's quite obvious that he has always been a jerk, a whiner, and that Austen was portraying him correctly during his tenure.

On another note, in that selfsame story, Angel made a pass at Ororo during her first night at the mansion.

I remember that story from "Classic X-Men," I think it was. Always thought it was pretty cool.

Bobby has always been a hothead and somewhat immature-- starting when he was the youngest of the original X-Men and continuing into his "slacker" days. I don't know that I'd call him a jerk... but I'd say anytime he acts like an overgrown kid, that's in character.

Oh, and Angel was a playboy whose pursuits have included his best friend's true love and a kid who's barely legal. Of *course* he made a pass at Ororo. He'd make a pass at Squirrel Girl if the opportunity arose.

Who hasn't made a pass at Ro? That woman has kings from multiple countries, planets, and dimensions chasing after her.

Well, she is a goddess :D

I posted this because I also thought that the Austen rendering of Iceman was a bit out of character, but now I know it isn't. It kinda surprised me.

I'm surprised Angel didn't offer to make her his queen :rolleyes:

Nah, he's not a villain. Only villains or Black Panther impersonators offer to make her their queen.

Which means that sick, twisted, evil bastards are the ones who have the hots for her.

Iceman has not always been a "jerk" just immature and suffers from acute foot in mouth disease...however he really is written well when they write him as a guy who uses humor to cover up insecurities (think like equal-opposite of Cyclops) not the jerk.

Cyclops said:
Nah, he's not a villain. Only villains or Black Panther impersonators offer to make her their queen.

Which means that sick, twisted, evil bastards are the ones who have the hots for her.

Yes, like Cable, Forge, Thor, Luke Cage, Colossus...

sebita said:
Yes, like Cable, Forge, Thor, Luke Cage, Colossus...
A messiah, an inventor, a god, a brotha, and a farm boy.

Storm pulls in men from all across the spectrum. ;)

rjb182 said:
Bobby has always been a hothead and somewhat immature-- starting when he was the youngest of the original X-Men and continuing into his "slacker" days. I don't know that I'd call him a jerk... but I'd say anytime he acts like an overgrown kid, that's in character.

He's not that far off from Johnny Storm... Yet Johnny's excelled far more with his powers than Iceman has.

After reading the "Rising Storm" arc of Fantastic Four, maybe Bobby needs to become Galactus' herald so he can finally get a grip.

Carey says he's gonna have a relationship in the new stories of adjless. Anyone know anything else about that? Plus, in the interview I read there were two questions about Iceman before he gave a general answer to both. The first was whether Carey was gonna play on Iceman's hinted bisexuality, the second asked if he was gonna get another girlfriend under Carey's pen. His answer of "a relationship" seemed a bit ambiguous - anyone got any further info on that too?

Manic said:
After reading the "Rising Storm" arc of Fantastic Four, maybe Bobby needs to become Galactus' herald so he can finally get a grip.

That would be F'ing phenominal!!!... Only thing is, what more can you do with water or ice?

chris moore said:
Carey says he's gonna have a relationship in the new stories of adjless. Anyone know anything else about that? Plus, in the interview I read there were two questions about Iceman before he gave a general answer to both. The first was whether Carey was gonna play on Iceman's hinted bisexuality, the second asked if he was gonna get another girlfriend under Carey's pen. His answer of "a relationship" seemed a bit ambiguous - anyone got any further info on that too?

In what comic was it ever stated (or hinted) that Bobby was bisexual?

Northstar had a crush on him some time ago, but it was apparent that Bobby liked women, because he went after that one "vertigo" chick.

ProfeZZor X said:
That would be F'ing phenominal!!!... Only thing is, what more can you do with water or ice?
Remember, Galactus doesn't just increase power; he expands it. Johnny had Sue's powers when he became a herald, and those powers got expanded to the point where he could see into people's souls. With Bobby, I can see him gaining total control over all forms of moisture (not just air moisture, but full bodies of water, ice, dry ice, extracting moisture out of people and plants, ect.), and perhaps creating entire armies and creatures out of ice.

ProfeZZor X said:
He's not that far off from Johnny Storm... Yet Johnny's excelled far more with his powers than Iceman has.

Oh, he is, though. Iceman's oftentimes portrayed with a certain degree of reluctance to be a super-hero, whereas Johnny's full on gung-ho "I ****ing love this ****!" about being superhero, so naturally he's going to experiment more. Plus it helps that Johnny's got less people to bounce off of in his group, so he gets to shine more.

Cyclops said:
Oh, he is, though. Iceman's oftentimes portrayed with a certain degree of reluctance to be a super-hero, whereas Johnny's full on gung-ho "I ****ing love this ****!" about being superhero, so naturally he's going to experiment more. Plus it helps that Johnny's got less people to bounce off of in his group, so he gets to shine more.

Very true. He can still be the class clown, yet shine like the best of them when it calls for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"