• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics I'm getting tired of Wolverine.

Harlekin said:
I don't see how MG followed contuinity at all with his whole "burned to the skeleton"-thing.

Hes continuing what Frank Tieri and Excaliber - "the Xavier protocols" started. During Frank Tieri's run with Wolverine, Logan was killed by Sabretooth becouse he didnt have his powers, and then he went to limbo like we saw in issue #48. Shortly after he was killed, his powers returned, he regenerated, and then he came back to life.

In Wolverine vol3. #43, Wolverine's bodily tissue is incinerated from his skeleton, which rapidly regenerates, due to an explosion caused by Nitro. Wolverine vol3. #48 explains that Wolverine's brain survived the explosion due to the protection offered by his skull. Wolverine's bodily systems, including his nervous and circulatory systems, and all the destroyed tissue completely regenerates within a few minutes. In Excalibur vol. 1 #100, the Xavier Protocols reveal that the removal of adamantium from Wolverine's skeleton increased his healing factor to "incredible levels" and that the only way to kill him is to remove his head from the vicinity of his body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)

Horhey said:
Hes continuing what Frank Tieri and Excaliber - "the Xavier protocols" started. During Frank Tieri's run with Wolverine, Logan was killed by Sabretooth becouse he didnt have his powers, and then he went to limbo like we saw in issue #48. Shortly after he was killed, his powers returned, he regenerated, and then he came back to life.

In Wolverine vol3. #43, Wolverine's bodily tissue is incinerated from his skeleton, which rapidly regenerates, due to an explosion caused by Nitro. Wolverine vol3. #48 explains that Wolverine's brain survived the explosion due to the protection offered by his skull. Wolverine's bodily systems, including his nervous and circulatory systems, and all the destroyed tissue completely regenerates within a few minutes. In Excalibur vol. 1 #100, the Xavier Protocols reveal that the removal of adamantium from Wolverine's skeleton increased his healing factor to "incredible levels" and that the only way to kill him is to remove his head from the vicinity of his body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)

I think that's a pretty crap excuse for making Wolveirne incredibly over-powerfull. The explosion would have affected his brain anyways, because the intense heat would have flashed fried his brain inside a metal skeleton, not even saying anything about the fact that the fire could have came in through his eye sockets and hit the brain.

The thing that bugs me the most, is that in Days of Future Past, Wolverine friggin died in a way very simmilar to the episode with Nitro, and yet now he can survive pretty much anything.

Indeed,i think originally Wolverine was ment to take any damage except for a full body blast by energy,or a paracite inside his body.As seen in Claremont`s Uncanny X-Men where Wolverine says he was nearly killed by a Brood egg.I also think the healing factor is healing wounds,not preventing them.Wolverine`s healing could take a lot,but i think if he was shot in the heart,he could die.It was a healing ability,nothing like what is shown now.

^Well, thanks to Frank Tieri that has all changed.......

How does his skull offer protection, it’s a metal pot?
His guts were gone, not just cooked he was completely gone, now unless wolverine’s become an energy being he should be dead.
Being shot in the heart for wolverine is survivable but it should take him down for a short while.
Correct me if I’m wrong but this make no sense, as removing his head from his body means his head, flesh intact mind you, doesn’t have the ability to regenerate a new body now we’re expected to believe just his at best fried brain was enough to regenerate a new body?

His spine is also covered, but I don't have a good answer for you......guess its Marvel.

Infinity9999x said:
I think that's a pretty crap excuse for making Wolveirne incredibly over-powerfull. The explosion would have affected his brain anyways, because the intense heat would have flashed fried his brain inside a metal skeleton, not even saying anything about the fact that the fire could have came in through his eye sockets and hit the brain.

The thing that bugs me the most, is that in Days of Future Past, Wolverine friggin died in a way very simmilar to the episode with Nitro, and yet now he can survive pretty much anything.

Yea, but Days of Future Past took place before Magneto ripped Logan's admantium out.

Wolverine's healing ability is like Deadpool's now. Deadpool got his HF from Wolverine, but he didnt have an adamantium skeleton to hinder it. Apocalypse removed the poisons from the adamantium. Thats the explanation anyway. Regenerating from a skeleton after being nuked is still a bit extreme though.

^Yeah, it is. But if tissue and blood regenerate....I guess it makes sense to have bone/bone marrow also regenerate.

If the head method will kill wolverine then destruction of his entire body would as well.

^You would think......but you gotta love Marvel.

Shh. Don't tell anyone, BUT:

Wolverine is actually an Immortal from the Highlander series in short, hairy, Canadian clothing.

El Bastardo said:
Shh. Don't tell anyone, BUT:

Wolverine is actually an Immortal from the Highlander series in short, hairy, Canadian clothing.

ROFLMAO (Highlander HA!) I just posted something about that on Warsong...

Hey can we just blame Apocolypse for this whole mess. I love :heart: Logan/Wolverine to pieces, but this is a "wee bit" over the top.:wow:

Weiser_Cain said:
If the head method will kill wolverine then destruction of his entire body would as well.

Nah, cuz his brain would still be their to spark regeneration.

Horhey said:
Yea, but Days of Future Past took place before Magneto ripped Logan's admantium out.

Actually, one part took place before, the other after. The future Wolverine was the one decimated by the sentinel, not the past Wolverine, and since that Wolverine was in the future, he should have already sustained the Magneto injury.

Regardless, when he gets blown up by Nitro, his brain shouldn't have been protected anyways, it was inside a Metal lined Skull! The metal would have supercooked his brain, and judging from how hot it got, probably fried it into nothing. Not only that, but the eye holes would have allowed the fire to travel into the skull. The basic fact is, Marvel wants to make Wolverine like superman, someone who can't be killed, and they're prepared to throw any reason out the window for it.

This is almost as bad as the comic where Batman beat the hulk:csad:

Infinity9999x said:
The basic fact is, Marvel wants to make Wolverine like superman, someone who can't be killed, and they're prepared to throw any reason out the window for it.

Word.

I stopped buying any of that immortality crap a long time ago. Kinda why I'm posting in here, actually. :D

Infinity9999x said:

:wow: WTF???? :wow:

I don't think Marvel necessarily wants to make Wolverine like Superman, and basically unkillable.

We're all talking about how the brain would have fried, and this is a realistic notion. We must then wonder whether or not adamantium conducts heat in the same way a normal metal would! If it does not, the argument is destroyed. Yes, this is me being annoying. :woot:

But, I mean, really. It wasn't making Wolverine immortal or unkillable or anything of the sort - different writers, different tastes, different ideas, different artists, different ways of rendering art, different ideas, altogether different ways of handling things. Whedon might not have made such a scene. Lobdell might not have. Someone else might not have.

Guggenheim wanted a nifty scene, and he got a fantastical and nifty scene that fit in entirely with the way his issues were written. But, hey, that's just my opinion, and I wound up liking Ramos's art on the title by the end of the run.

I just don't buy the whole "Wolverine is Marvel's Superman" crap. Bah.

Infinity9999x said:
Actually, one part took place before, the other after. The future Wolverine was the one decimated by the sentinel, not the past Wolverine, and since that Wolverine was in the future, he should have already sustained the Magneto injury.

Regardless, when he gets blown up by Nitro, his brain shouldn't have been protected anyways, it was inside a Metal lined Skull! The metal would have supercooked his brain, and judging from how hot it got, probably fried it into nothing. Not only that, but the eye holes would have allowed the fire to travel into the skull. The basic fact is, Marvel wants to make Wolverine like superman, someone who can't be killed, and they're prepared to throw any reason out the window for it.

Days of Future Past is about an alternate future. Its not cannon. I doubt adamantium is able to heat up becouse it cannot be melted.

Superman isn't unkillable.
I seem to remember adamantium heating like any metal, it just doesn't turn into liquid. If it were a perfect insulator it'd be too perfect.

Guys guys guys!! There's no need to argue SO MUCH bout adamantan. Cuz ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN comics.

Horhey said:
Days of Future Past is about an alternate future. Its not cannon. I doubt adamantium is able to heat up becouse it cannot be melted.

From Wikipedia:
After the resins are mixed together, the adamantium can be molded into different shapes for approximately eight minutes as long as the mixture is kept at a temperature of 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit.

Adamantium can be heated normaly as other metals, it just can't turn into a liquid form, only a near liquid form.

So I'm guessing that if the explosion caused by Nitro was sufficient enough to melt the skin off Wolverine's body, it would have been sufficien enough to fry Wolverine's brain into nothing, and, as I said before, the eye holes in his scull were direct access to the brain for the fire to enter also.

DOFP isn't cannon? My mistake, I thought it was a cannon story in which the X-men prevented an alternate future from happening.

DarthCyclopsRLZ said:

Yeah, it was pretty bad. Batman released sleeping gas, then kicked the Hulk in the stomach, making the Hulk grunt and inhale the sleeping gas and get knocked out. Apparently the Hulk can get hit by the likes of Namor and Hercules and not falter, but if Batman kicks him, he gets winded, to say nothing of the fact that batman somehow found sleeping gas strong enough to take the Hulk out.

storm-x-fan said:
Guys guys guys!! There's no need to argue SO MUCH bout adamantan. Cuz ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN comics.

Oh we're really not arguing, we're just having a nice little debate, it's talking about the little detailed stuff like this that makes us true comic nerdz:woot: And yes, anything and everything can happen in comics, but that doesn't mean that it should.

Infinity9999x said:
From Wikipedia:
After the resins are mixed together, the adamantium can be molded into different shapes for approximately eight minutes as long as the mixture is kept at a temperature of 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit.

Adamantium can be heated normaly as other metals, it just can't turn into a liquid form, only a near liquid form.

You left out a significant part. Once adamantium solidifies it cannot be melted or molded further.

Adamantium's extremely stable molecular structure will prevent it from being molded further after this eight minute time period, even if the temperature is high enough to keep it in its liquified form. Once adamantium has hardened, only precise molecular rearrangement can alter its shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantium_(comics)

Yea they prevented a possible future. They changed future events. A future that may or may not of had Magneto ripping the adamantium out of Wolverine.

Horhey said:
You left out a significant part. Once adamantium solidifies it cannot be melted or molded further.

Adamantium's extremely stable molecular structure will prevent it from being molded further after this eight minute time period, even if the temperature is high enough to keep it in its liquified form. Once adamantium has hardened, only precise molecular rearrangement can alter its shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamantium_%28comics%29

Yea they prevented a possible future. They changed future events. A future that may or may not of had Magneto ripping the adamantium out of Wolverine.

Yes, so it seems it can be heated but it just won't change it's shape. But really, the overall point of it is that I'm simply tired of them making Wolverine so damn powerful. I just rented the TBP of the first 4 ish Wolverine Solo series, and that's the way I liked him. Someone who could be killed if he sustained too much damage, not someone who could heal back from almost nothing.

And also, so is DOFP definatley not in cannon then?

Infinity9999x said:
Yes, so it seems it can be heated but it just won't change it's shape. But really, the overall point of it is that I'm simply tired of them making Wolverine so damn powerful. I just rented the TBP of the first 4 ish Wolverine Solo series, and that's the way I liked him. Someone who could be killed if he sustained too much damage, not someone who could heal back from almost nothing.

And also, so is DOFP definatley not in cannon then?

Deadpool got his HF from Wolverine but he doesnt have adamantium poisons to hinder it. Apocalypse removed the posions from Logan's adamantium which lead to Frank Tieri's run in which Logan regenerated his eye after it was ripped out by Mauvais and he came back to life after being killed by Sabretooth.

Also, in DOFP they changed events in the future which means noone knows what would of happenned if they hadnt with regards to Magneto ripping the adamantium out of Wolverine. The future is not set.

I agree with the original post. There's so many things wrong with the character now. Where to begin....

I suppose first off we could discuss how the character has mutated (hah!) since his first appearance, but before we do that we should look at the general idea behind the "All New All Different" X-Men roster. It's really obvious what the team was all about circa Giant Size X-Men #1....each character (and their powers) was sort of a personification of the archetypal "spirit" of his/her country.

A...stereotype, if you will. I know a lot of people think that's a bad word, but let's not kid ourselves. That's what they were.

Nightcrawler was from Germany, so he was the sort of devil/gargoyle/imp-type thing you might see carved in a cathedral, or perhaps something from a Brothers Grimm fairy tale.

Banshee was from Ireland where one of the most famous of Irish folkloric entities was the shrieking banshee. Not as obvious as patterning a character after a leprechaun, but that's probably for the best.

Easy enough to figure out what Colossus was all about. Russia was big, powerful, and how many reels of footage of Russian tanks, foundries, factories (ie steel stuff) from Stalinist/post-war USSR have we seen?

Storm - rain goddess from Africa. Don't know what else to say about that. Makes sense.

Thunderbird - they must not have been able to figure out a good power for the Generic Indian so they just made him super-strong/fast/etc. Not very imaginative, which is probably why he was killed off so quick.

and Wolverine....
Wolverine's original character was informed by 2 things:
1. Where he was from:
He was from the mountains of Nowhere, Canada. He was a rugged
rustic, in-touch-with-nature, woodsman-type. A mountain-man.
2. The animal that inspired him:
Wolverine's were small and vicious. It was thought they were so mean
that they could fight off bears...so mean they would even continue to
fight and kill when they were wounded - just like the character.

Pretty simple stuff, but once Wolverine started to get popular, writers apparently forgot what he was all about.

He's no longer a crazy, mean little mountain-man. Now he's drawn like some suburban kid's conception of "rebellious cool". I've seen him drawn in a Harley-Davidson shirt with a black leather jacket and cowboy boots. I've been to Nowhere, Canada and met crazy survivalist types....they don't dress like that. Now he seems more like a "tough urban biker from the wrong side of the tracks" rather than a berserk little hick from a place hundreds of miles away from any "tracks".

Wolverine isn't a personification of the Canadian wilderness anymore so much as he's a pretty-boy extra in a Velvet Revolver video, which is totally bass-ackwards.

On the super-healing: It seems clear to me that the idea behind his regeneration was so you could justify his being able to fight while wounded and bloody (like the real wolverine was thought to do) - if he's constantly healing really fast, then he can keep going despite injuries and wounds. Of course the healing power has been scaled up to the point of lameness.

The Japanese connection & the whole "fallen samurai" thing - I know this goes back to that 4 issue limited series from the early 80's, so it's not exactly a recent thing, but I still think it's lame. It'd be like giving Banshee, the quintessential Irishman a background as a Mexican bandito - just doesn't seem to fit with the original concept.

And finally, Wolverine's "cool badass-ness" is just sold way too aggressively for him to be anything but irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"