• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics I'm getting tired of Wolverine.

I agree with the original post. There's so many things wrong with the character now. Where to begin....

I suppose first off we could discuss how the character has mutated (hah!) since his first appearance, but before we do that we should look at the general idea behind the "All New All Different" X-Men roster. It's really obvious what the team was all about circa Giant Size X-Men #1....each character (and their powers) was sort of a personification of the archetypal "spirit" of his/her country.

A...stereotype, if you will. I know a lot of people think that's a bad word, but let's not kid ourselves. That's what they were.

Nightcrawler was from Germany, so he was the sort of devil/gargoyle/imp-type thing you might see carved in a cathedral, or perhaps something from a Brothers Grimm fairy tale.

Banshee was from Ireland where one of the most famous of Irish folkloric entities was the shrieking banshee. Not as obvious as patterning a character after a leprechaun, but that's probably for the best.

Easy enough to figure out what Colossus was all about. Russia was big, powerful, and how many reels of footage of Russian tanks, foundries, factories (ie steel stuff) from Stalinist/post-war USSR have we seen?

Storm - rain goddess from Africa. Don't know what else to say about that. Makes sense.

Thunderbird - they must not have been able to figure out a good power for the Generic Indian so they just made him super-strong/fast/etc. Not very imaginative, which is probably why he was killed off so quick.

and Wolverine....
Wolverine's original character was informed by 2 things:
1. Where he was from:
He was from the mountains of Nowhere, Canada. He was a rugged
rustic, in-touch-with-nature, woodsman-type. A mountain-man.
2. The animal that inspired him:
Wolverine's were small and vicious. It was thought they were so mean
that they could fight off bears...so mean they would even continue to
fight and kill when they were wounded - just like the character.

Pretty simple stuff, but once Wolverine started to get popular, writers apparently forgot what he was all about.

He's no longer a crazy, mean little mountain-man. Now he's drawn like some suburban kid's conception of "rebellious cool". I've seen him drawn in a Harley-Davidson shirt with a black leather jacket and cowboy boots. I've been to Nowhere, Canada and met crazy survivalist types....they don't dress like that. Now he seems more like a "tough urban biker from the wrong side of the tracks" rather than a berserk little hick from a place hundreds of miles away from any "tracks".

Wolverine isn't a personification of the Canadian wilderness anymore so much as he's a pretty-boy extra in a Velvet Revolver video, which is totally bass-ackwards.

On the super-healing: It seems clear to me that the idea behind his regeneration was so you could justify his being able to fight while wounded and bloody (like the real wolverine was thought to do) - if he's constantly healing really fast, then he can keep going despite injuries and wounds. Of course the healing power has been scaled up to the point of lameness.

The Japanese connection & the whole "fallen samurai" thing - I know this goes back to that 4 issue limited series from the early 80's, so it's not exactly a recent thing, but I still think it's lame. It'd be like giving Banshee, the quintessential Irishman a background as a Mexican bandito - just doesn't seem to fit with the original concept.

And finally, Wolverine's "cool badass-ness" is just sold way too aggressively for him to be anything but irritating.
Excellent. Couldn't have said it better. :up:

nephron,
you said exactly what I was thinking.
Thank you for a well thought-out post.

If i see Wolverine anywhere I go pictures covering all things like the flor covered with Wolverine pictures, the walls, the ceilings, etc....

I still won't get tired of Wolverine.

A couple of years ago, Marvel fixxed this problem by decreasing Wolverine's use and dropped him from all the books but AXM but now he's in 4 team books(AXM, UXM, New Avengers, X-Force), 2 solos (Wolverine, W:Origins) as well as the First Class series and his minis

A couple of years ago, Marvel fixxed this problem by decreasing Wolverine's use and dropped him from all the books but AXM but now he's in 4 team books(AXM, UXM, New Avengers, X-Force), 2 solos (Wolverine, W:Origins) as well as the First Class series and his minis
If that's not over-saturation, I don't know what is.

The sad thing is...with the Wolverine movie comming out,we will see more of him as Marvel hypes him up. I can guess this is the only reason why Wolverine: Origins is still going when it's horrible..

The sad thing is...with the Wolverine movie comming out,we will see more of him as Marvel hypes him up. I can guess this is the only reason why Wolverine: Origins is still going when it's horrible..
I don't think I have the stamina to endure more Wolverine than what is already out there.

Wolverine's X-force is pretty bearable...if only so far he is the 'old man' that has to use restraint and reign in the younger, hotter, more deadly, female clone/child version of himself...with foot blades...

If that's not over-saturation, I don't know what is.
And thats just 616, and not taking into account the alternate universe books. (unless his First Class is one) They should cut Wolverine down to X-force, and 1 solo. Maybe an appearance here and there in UXM. The amount of titles he is in right now is ridiculous

Now.. I haven't read the series yet, but my interpretation of Wolverine: Origins is just like telling stories from his younger years ( I know that sounds obvious), but my whole point with that is, I dont think its necessarily too much to have that and a current time-line Wolverine book.

I have had this complaint with Marvel lately, kinda after Civil War. It seems (now note this isn't accurate) that you buy one Marvel book, say Amazing Spider-man, and you get possibly fifteen other heroes in that book. Someone in another thread mentioned hating the tie-in stuff, and I think thats what he is talking about, or at least thats how I interpret it. I think the thing is, they need to stop worrying about cross promoting whatever movie is coming out at the time and their entire line of comics.

But with that being said, I picked up the last released Wolverine:Origins, and it got me wanting to read comics more. For me I don't mind them taking liberties with the character, if they didn't I think people would complain that he is the same old same old. I dunno.. its 4am and I'm not clear minded.

A while ago, I had a theory about how Wolverine could survive Nitro's blast. He could regenerate from the bone marrow encased in his adamantium skelleton.....I quickly dimissed the idea as nothing could get through the adamantium to reconstruct himself.

Wizard says Wolvie's in 11 books this month... I would have to agree that he's everywhere.... But I still don't mind :)

Oh and about Nephron's post.... Are you actually suggesting that all these characters should have had no character development and remained the stereotypes they were when introduced?? Because that would have to be the dumbest idea ever, i'm sorry....

Wizard says Wolvie's in 11 books this month... I would have to agree that he's everywhere.... But I still don't mind :)

Oh and about Nephron's post.... Are you actually suggesting that all these characters should have had no character development and remained the stereotypes they were when introduced?? Because that would have to be the dumbest idea ever, i'm sorry....

Character progression is one thing, but Wolverine is all but unrecognizable from the character who was first introduced. His background and powers are wildly different, and he never actually progressed to that point. They just appeared out of thin air, one after another. Bone claws, completely unreasonable healing, even the samurai background (I believe)... they were all just given to him, one after another. That's not progression.

Somehow, the rugged little brawler turned into an unstoppable master of melee combat. Oh, and he's irresistable to women, can speak any language that might come up, and can dodge bullets...despite having a metal-encased skeleton. :whatever:

All points by Brand are pretty much how i feel. Right now, and for the past few years, I'd say that Wolverine is easily the most over-saturated character in any comic-verse. I used to love him back in the day, and i think the new X-Force version is great, but damn. I'm finding other characters like Warpath and Deadpool who are really coming into their own far more interesting than the Invincible Wolverine!

Character progression is one thing, but Wolverine is all but unrecognizable from the character who was first introduced. His background and powers are wildly different, and he never actually progressed to that point. They just appeared out of thin air, one after another. Bone claws, completely unreasonable healing, even the samurai background (I believe)... they were all just given to him, one after another. That's not progression.

Somehow, the rugged little brawler turned into an unstoppable master of melee combat. Oh, and he's irresistable to women, can speak any language that might come up, and can dodge bullets...despite having a metal-encased skeleton. :whatever:
So very true. :up:

All points by Brand are pretty much how i feel. Right now, and for the past few years, I'd say that Wolverine is easily the most over-saturated character in any comic-verse. I used to love him back in the day, and i think the new X-Force version is great, but damn. I'm finding other characters like Warpath and Deadpool who are really coming into their own far more interesting than the Invincible Wolverine!

Me I have always liked Deadpool more, I never was a Logan fan and hate it nowadays as people are like yeah Logan! Im like no! lol.

Me I have always liked Deadpool more, I never was a Logan fan and hate it nowadays as people are like yeah Logan! Im like no! lol.

Most definitely. I don't know how anybody could NOT like Deadpool to be honest. The scene of him in the Marvel Girl outfit still cracks me up. :woot:

Is_Wolverine_a_Skrull__by_AdamWithe.jpg

who ever drew this was on the POINT (not addressing the skrull remark).
wolverine mania has got to stop.

Is_Wolverine_a_Skrull__by_AdamWithe.jpg

who ever drew this was on the POINT (not addressing the skrull remark).
wolverine mania has got to stop.
A big :applaud for the one who drew this, as it is both hilarious and very accurate in regards to the problem.

Most definitely. I don't know how anybody could NOT like Deadpool to be honest. The scene of him in the Marvel Girl outfit still cracks me up. :woot:

Me to, Deadpool is one cool, strange great character I would rather a Deadpool film then a Logan one....

That picture is funny but so right lol.

Wolverine is definitely one of the most overrated characters Marvel has. I'm glad there isn't much emphasis on him right now in UXM post-MC.

LOL when did he dress up as Marvel Girl??

I was never really a big Deadpool fan....

...until i saw this
deadpool.jpg

Legend :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"