Indiana Jones Reboot

About the casting suggestions on the last page....it's a rare thing for me to be against the suggestion of Tom Hardy in any role, but I think Hardy would be miscast as Indiana Jones. Can't see that one at all.

Bradley Cooper isn't a bad idea, to me.

I have a hard time seeing this work without Harrison Ford.

Am I the first one to say this? :o

I think the only actor I would be a able to stomach other than Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones is Nathan Fillion. He has already pulled of a Han Solo type character in Firefly. It would be interesting to see if he could follow it up with Indiana Jones. Also has the charm and wit in my opinion. Would love to see him in the fedora.

He is kind of a modern day version of Harrison Ford, albeit he's not as famous.

The universe told Hollywood if Nathan became a bigger star, everything in the cosmos will be threatened. Hence why he's not a bigger star.

He is kind of a modern day version of Harrison Ford, albeit he's not as famous.

Exactly. He doesn't come with a lot of baggage as would somebody like Bradley Cooper. At the time when Harrison Ford was cast as Indiana Jones the only other role he was known for was Han Solo. And the funny thing is by the end of The Last Crusade, Harrison Ford was basically known for 3 characters, a space pirate (Han Solo - Star Wars),a detective (Deckard - Blade Runner) and Indiana Jones. If Nathan Fillion is cast for the part of the new Indiana Jones he would be known for 3 characters, a space pirate (Malcolm Reynolds - Firefly), a detective (Castle - Richard Castle) and Indiana Jones. Also, Harrison Ford was 42 years old when Temple of Doom was released, the same age that Natahn Fillion is now. By the time a new Indiana Jones movie is released he'll be the same age as Harrison Ford was when The Last Crusade was released. So instead of a reboot of the character why not just continue on from where The Last Crusade left off.

One thing that nobody has brought up about Ford's iconic status as Indy is that, not only has he been Indy since 1982...but he's been immortalized by Ford's likeness in Drew Struzan art and merchandizing (video games, toys, books, etc.)

Simply put, if your face is in Drew's (or any of the other artists) painted posters, then that's that..you're in for the long haul. Photoshop be damned.

One thing that nobody has brought up about Ford's iconic status as Indy is that, not only has he been Indy since 1982...but he's been immortalized by Ford's likeness in Drew Struzan art and merchandizing (video games, toys, books, etc.)

Simply put, if your face is in Drew's (or any of the other artists) painted posters, then that's that..you're in for the long haul. Photoshop be damned.

Oh, I'm sure for Nathan Fillion they would make an exception. :yay:

Oh god not the Nathan Fillion thing again. He truely is the "Fetch" of fanboy actors.

There are worse choices being thrown around than Fillion by fans. As far as looks, personality, and his past roles are concerned, he's closer to Harrison Ford than most of those supposed successors.

He wouldn't be Harrison Ford though I think he could be the closest we get to the next Indiana Jones short of a complete unknown.

I didn't say he was a bad or good choice I'm saying that I don't see him ever leading a 150-200 million dollar film. He's had a good career in television but I have seen no proof of him parlaying that into starring roles in 150-200 million dollar blockbusters.

Back to Hardy for everything?

I don't see it either, though it makes me wonder how would it be different from getting an unknown/rising star vs. getting a moderately successful TV star with a cult following.

Back to Hardy for everything?

Hardy could do it. Fassbender could do it too. They both can achieve a timeless look and appeal. Cooper is great too, but he's very modern looking.

You forgot Cumberbatch to complete the trifecta.

Hardy could do it. Fassbender could do it too. They both can achieve a timeless look and appeal. Cooper is great too, but he's very modern looking.

Hardy and Fassbender are good at period roles, but they both seem kind of too cold and serious for Indiana Jones. I can't see them having the dashing derring-do.

When Hardy tries to be funny, it comes off weird and awkward.

Nathan Fillion is a TV actor. Nothing wrong with that, but he's not the type who is going to get cast in a summer blockbuster.

Hardy and Fassbender are good at period roles, but they both seem kind of too cold and serious for Indiana Jones. I can't see them having the dashing derring-do.

When Hardy tries to be funny, it comes off weird and awkward.

That's true.

Ford is one of a kind. Well, young Ford.

He's like a normal dude who got into acting and made it. And he was able to show vulnerability in very subtle ways. Like in A New Hope, when Han was collecting the money to ditch the Rebellion, Luke protested his disappointment, which left Han quiet and speechless. Ford's stare of shame completely worked in that scene. Same thing when Han was trying to leave Hoth; as Luke said his farewells, Han stares off in concern.

I really, really think Ford's best comedic work wasn't in The Last Crusade..but in Temple of Doom with Short Round. He didn't play it as a father-type, but like a big brother and it completely worked.

I don't see it either, though it makes me wonder how would it be different from getting an unknown/rising star vs. getting a moderately successful TV star with a cult following.
Why did star of a cult television series Chris Pratt at 34 years old get the lead roles in Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic Park 87 and Nathan Fillion not get those roles or roles like them in similarly big films? Luck? Maybe a mixture of luck and a better agent? Who knows?

For all I know Whedon will convince Disney to give Fillion a lead role in another Marvel film, I don't see that happening but stranger things have happened.

For Indiana Jones, you need someone who's not a comedic actor, but can have a light side and not take everything deadly seriously, while at the same time having enough gravitas to not be a self-parody. That might sound simple, but it's a tricky balance, and IMO there are few actors who could match young(er) Ford's perfect tone between being not too serious and not too funny.

Hardy and Fassbender are great, but they're not exactly known for their light sides, with reason, IMO. And someone like Fillion just isn't going to ever be given a role like that, IMO.

I think Bradley Cooper has the above needed traits more than the others.

Why did star of a cult television series Chris Pratt at 34 years old get the lead roles in Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic Park 87 and Nathan Fillion not get those roles or roles like them in similarly big films? Luck? Maybe a mixture of luck and a better agent? Who knows?

For all I know Whedon will convince Disney to give Fillion a lead role in another Marvel film, I don't see that happening but stranger things have happened.

Well, I think it's a number of things. Most say talent, but everyone has that; I say Pratt has a great agent and the studio likes him because he's probably a really good guy and a team player. If words gets around that Pratt is not a diva, he'll end up being on every list for every tentpole in Hollywood, that gets passed around and around.

Hollywood is such a weird business. On the Nerdist podcast, director Paul Feig talked about how brutal and unfair the auditioning process is. As a filmmaker, Feig instantly knows if the actor is right for the role. Not just based on talent, but looks and chemistry and attitude. Sometimes, it's so arbitrary, which is reflective of what you just said: Maybe it's just damn luck.

I think a lot of it is dumb arbitrary luck, and a lot of it is having a good agent and good connections. Also, if word gets around that you're difficult (whether true or not), people get leery of working with you or entrusting you with big projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"