• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Iron Fist Iron Fist FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY!)

Someone spoil this for me... does it set up The Defenders at all?

I'm only 3 episodes in, but I like it so far.

Someone spoil this for me... does it set up The Defenders at all?

I'm only 3 episodes in, but I like it so far.

Beyond giving more (useless) set-up about the Hand, no not really. No more than any of the other series did. It sets up a second season for itself more than it does Defenders.

What was up with Madame Gao making Danny fly back into that wall with out making contact? We saw her do the same thing to Daredevil but she actually hit him. Did they just miss that?

I also thought it was interesting how when Harold was supposed to cut off his finger and they started fighting those two guys, they had him fall behind the chair so you couldn't see him stabbing the guy. Must have saved a few bucks on effects there.

The first four episodes wren't great, but after that I actually enjoyed this series quite a bit. It definitely gets stronger as it goes.

I'd put it above Luke Cage.

One highlight right now; seeing Lewis Tan get his ass kicked. Haha. What the hell was up with that bottle? He was like a weird, wannabe-hybrid between Eddie Gordo & Jack Sparrow.
Drunken "Boxing"
Made most famously known by Jackie Chan

IF being my 2nd favorite superhero (after DD) I'm meh on this one but it has a fair execution.
-has pacing issues
-no central villain
-characters are sooo fickle minded
-shoehorned 'psychopath' moments (is this becoming a trend to marvel netflix?)
-awkward eastern symbology exposition
-Clair Temple convenience and uselessness.
-Bad CGI
-This Danny Rand should get a ****ing haircut and a shave.

Marvel Netflix series should definitely be limited to only 10 episodes. As I was watching JJ, LC, and IF I usually think of "there are xx more episodes?!"

Another large minus for me is that IF (and this is a wake-up call to other networks making a superhero show) is so self-deprecating, sulking, and emo. I've disliked characters that are soo fickle minded, have a warped sense of self-righteousness and stubborn. They will make mistakes then they will say sorry..then do it all over again! I hate those "It's all my fault" BS if done too much. I guess they have to stretch it to 13 one-hour episodes so characters should be motivating each other constantly.

What also really upsets me is that the showrunner will also adapt my 3rd fav marvel superhero which is Black Bolt from the Inhumans. *sigh*

The critics have never been more right about a show. I'm up to episode 8 and I seriously cant believe I got this far. The acting is horrible, the direction is dismal, the dialogue is really bad like plan 9 from outer space bad, the fight scenes are some of the worst I've seen on TV. Finn Jones is seriously a horrible choice, remember that scene where the black student is lol at him I was also lol. I have no idea if Jones really knows kung-fu in real life because it looks like he doesn't know jack**** based on his performance on this show. He can't fight he's way out of a paper bag. And are people seriously saying the Henwick is fierce as Colleen? Just because you can keep bashing someones face doesn't make you fierce. She looks like one of the Seinfeld kids fighting karate. The story structure is terrible, the flashback are really annoying, Iron Fist powers are so confusing like one minute he can fight an entire hallway of guys(done a million times better on Daredevil) and the next fight he has to take like 5 mins to beat one guy destroying files at a hospital.
And get this the best thing about the entire show gets killed off after weeks of seeing him training, learning a bunch about the monastery Iron Fist and his powers, and out-acting everyone around him with ease. I don't know yet but maybe he comes back from the dead, i hope so. Its like Luge Cage, why did they kill off the best part of the freakin show so early!!!

And don't even get me started on Joy.

Damnit, I've seriously lost a lot of faith in The Defenders because Danny Rand will be in it.

This show is so bad I kept thinking that DC had something to do with it.

The critics have never been more right about a show. I'm up to episode 8 and I seriously cant believe I got this far. The acting is horrible, the direction is dismal, the dialogue is really bad like plan 9 from outer space bad, the fight scenes are some of the worst I've seen on TV. Finn Jones is seriously a horrible choice, remember that scene where the black student is lol at him I was also lol. I have no idea if Jones really knows kung-fu in real life because it looks like he doesn't know jack**** based on his performance on this show. He can't fight he's way out of a paper bag. And are people seriously saying the Henwick is fierce as Colleen? Just because you can keep bashing someones face doesn't make you fierce. She looks like one of the Seinfeld kids fighting karate. The story structure is terrible, the flashback are really annoying, Iron Fist powers are so confusing like one minute he can fight an entire hallway of guys(done a million times better on Daredevil) and the next fight he has to take like 5 mins to beat one guy destroying files at a hospital.
And get this the best thing about the entire show gets killed off after weeks of seeing him training, learning a bunch about the monastery Iron Fist and his powers, and out-acting everyone around him with ease. I don't know yet but maybe he comes back from the dead, i hope so. Its like Luge Cage, why did they kill off the best part of the freakin show so early!!!

And don't even get me started on Joy.

Damnit, I've seriously lost a lot of faith in The Defenders because Danny Rand will be in it.

This show is so bad I kept thinking that DC had something to do with it.

I don't think that Joy is that bad. Ward on the other hand made me burst out laughing a number of times since his character is horribly written and everyone else's reactions to him are nonsensical and he only gets worse as the season goes on. I fail to get how or why anyone on this show wants anything to do with Ward since he's easily the worst Marvel villain since Malekith.

Alright, I just finished the show. What can I say? Well, Iron Fist might have been better off as a Movie. 13 Episodes where not really a lot happens, and people are all over the place with their emotions. Finn Jones is the first Marvel Netflix actor I am not happy with. He was simply unconvincing as Iron Fist, one of the most formidable warriors on the planet. And it didn't help that he was written as a tantrum throwing child for most of the show.

The worst offense though, for a martial arts centric show, there's basically only one standout moment in the show. The hallway fight. And that's pretty much it. The rest is forgettable. I'd take the Daredevil vs random hitman fight from Episode 1 of Season 1 over anything in Iron Fist. The fights were that disappointing. They need to throw a mask on Finn Jones' face as fast as they can, so we can have a stuntman 24/7 in his place. And get a better fight coordinator, or a better director who knows how to film fights, or both.

I rated the show 6/10 when I was only 9 Episodes in. 4 Episodes later, I'm sticking by that score.

Three episodes in. The first one was HORRIBLE, but the other two are way better. However, I don't think it will pay off by the end. It's a bummer how DD will probably stay the only really great Marvel/Netflix tv show.

It's interesting how when a lot of critics were at odds with DC hardcore fans, how the fans reacted and blamed all the negative opinions on "other"things and had a hard time accepting that critics geniunely just didn't connect w/the material. And here we are with Marvel fans now getting a taste and pretty much acting the same exact way. People all throughout this thread are dismissing negative reviews and trying to connect them w/this "whitewashing" controversay...lmao. I mean, what's so hard to believe?? After watching 8 episodes I will say it does get better and better with each episode, but if i had to grade the first 6 episodes it would probably get a "D".

Uhh...I hate to break it to you but plenty of people calling out the critics are not partial to Marvel. I, for one, think the whole Marvel vs. DC stuff is silly and enjoy shows/films from both properties. But I think it's painfully obvious the critics were unfairly harsh on this show, probably for multiple reasons but namely because of the casting controversy. If you go in disliking an actor or wanting a show to be bad, then that's likely how you'll end up seeing it. And I think that was the case with many critics of this show. Sure, the first episode was probably the weakest of all the Marvel shows but I definitely think it started to improve immediately with the second episode and by the 6th, the quality is good enough to avoid some of the labels the critics attached to it.

Zhou Cheng, Bride of Nine Spiders and Davos are clearly being set up as future antagonists.

Lol Still on the Zhou Cheng train, eh? I suspected beforehand that he wouldn't have a big role on the show and I saw nothing that changes that. Given the actor's antics on twitter, I'd really be surprised if we ever see him again (at least as played by said actor.)

I can't express enough how much I love Davos. From the first moment he appeared onscreen, I was intrigued. I'll happily accept more of him.

Last edited:
Uhh...I hate to break it to you but plenty of people calling out the critics are not partial to Marvel. I, for one, think the whole Marvel vs. DC stuff is silly and enjoy shows/films from both properties. But I think it's painfully obvious the critics were unfairly harsh on this show, probably for multiple reasons but namely because of the casting controversy. If you go in disliking an actor or wanting a show to be bad, then that's likely how you'll end up seeing it. And I think that was the case with many critics of this show. Sure, the first episode was probably the weakest of all the Marvel shows but I definitely think it started to improve immediately with the second episode and by the 6th, the quality is good enough to avoid some of the labels the critics attached to it.

Lol Still on the Zhou Cheng train, eh? I suspected beforehand that he wouldn't have a big role on the show and I saw nothing that changes that. Given the actor's antics on twitter, I'll be surprised if we ever see him again (at least as played by said actor.)

I can't express enough how much I love Davos. From the first moment he appeared onscreen, I was intrigued. I'll happily accept more of him.

I'm just disappointed with how a major villain got fifteen monites of screen time. Davos also got introduced way too late and then disappeared before the finale.

Bokuto is a minor Daredevil villain. Harold Meachum was a starter villain who in the source material was never even fought. I still have no idea if Gao is Crane Mother since the show danced around so many major plot points from the comics and didn't want to commit to anything interesting. Davos never became a villain until the last shot of the Season and even then he never gave any indication that he was going to join the Hand.

Everything about Iron Fist was sloppily done. The fight scenes were passable but the story just did not work. Allegedly, Marvel had problems finding a showrunner since nobody wanted the job and they settled for Scott Buck.

Last edited:

Lol Still on the Zhou Cheng train, eh? I suspected beforehand that he wouldn't have a big role on the show and I saw nothing that changes that. Given the actor's antics on twitter, I'll be surprised if we ever see him again (at least as played by said actor.)

I'm just disappointed with how a major villain got fifteen monites of screen time. Davos also got introduced way too late and then disappeared before the finale.

Eh. The character does make a memorable appearance in the comics but I think it's a stretch to call him a major villain.

I don't think Davos was introduced too late. His intro made sense, given everything else that was happening on the show.

The sudden turn with Davos and Joy at the end was weird and was head scratching. Suddenly Joy wants Danny dead?

I think that scene shows Joy starting to change her opinion of Danny. Also, he did inadvertently lead to her dad's death.

I am not familiar with the comics, but can someone explain Davos at the end? We see him heading back home. Then at the end we see him dressed immaculately and talking about killing Danny.

The sudden turn with Davos and Joy at the end was weird and was head scratching. Suddenly Joy wants Danny dead?

I need to go back and watch when Joy turns on him but there was no sudden turn with Davos. It was clear from his first words to Danny (loved that moment, by the way) that he held some resentment towards Danny.

I need to go back and watch when Joy turns on him but there was no sudden turn with Davos. It was clear from his first words to Danny (loved that moment, by the way) that he held some resentment towards Danny.

Why does Joy resent him now? She turned on her father at the end in support of Danny and what her father did to him.

Also the one who killed Harold was HER BROTHER.

Last edited:
So, did I miss something about the heroin packets with the dragon on the front?At the end of episode 4, Danny is given a pack, and at the beginning of 5, he shows it Ward, explaining that the dragon represented Shao Lao the undying.Except Danny doesn't seem confused or concerned that there is a Kun Lun iconography on it? Did I miss a line where it explains this? Or is this explained further in the episodes. Either way, I cannot figure out why Danny isn't even confused by it.Or did I miss a line?

Why does Joy resent him now? She turned on her father at the end in support of Danny and what she did to him.

Also the one who killed Harold was HER BROTHER.

Uhh..I don't know. lol I have to go back and watch episodes 12 and 13. At first I thought I just wasn't as impressed with the last two episode as I was with the previous 5 or 6 but now, I think I just zoned out a little. Binging is hard work. :oldrazz:

I recall later he mentioned later that the emblem was a way of giving the finger to Shao Lao or some such.

In the comics, I believe that's the emblem Davos uses as the Steel Serpent. So we all thought there was some connotation there.

We really don't know why Gao was even using that emblem for the drugs. At first she was made out to be independent of The Hand, then she was presented as leader of the group, then it turns out to be a "rogue faction." Even though her faction was technically working with Nobu's faction in Daredevil.

I recall later he mentioned later that the emblem was a way of giving the finger to Shao Lao or some such.

In the comics, I believe that's the emblem Davos uses as the Steel Serpent. So we all thought there was some connotation there.

We really don't know why Gao was even using that emblem for the drugs. At first she was made out to be independent of The Hand, then she was presented as leader of the group, then it turns out to be a "rogue faction." Even though her faction was technically working with Nobu's faction in Daredevil.

Hmmm, you would have thought that Danny would be like 'Why is there a Kun Lun symbol being used on heroin packs?'

But apparently not.

Murdock103, my thought process was that there was going to be some rebel or dissident faction from K'un L'un getting involved in organized crime. Maybe they were exocommunicated from K'un L'un or wherever. Maybe they wanted to oust the current high council and take the city over and use it's power to assert more control over the world. Something like that. I think that would've made more sense than to make Gao's group some weird quasi-rogue Hand group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"