The Punisher The Punisher FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY!)

Whether you want to admit it or not, the notion that we're ever going to get the full blown 70s and 80s vigilante revenge fantasy of the comics in this series in today's sociopolitical climate is incredibly naive and it's not going to happen. How they reworked Frank's story is already a testament to that. Marvel/Netflix doesn't want the headache. The next season may pit him up against Jigsaw and the Gnuccis, but it's going to be just as slow burn as this season was.
To me you don't ever have to go full blown revenge fantasy for Frank Castle. I think he's a tragic character. And I think there's something sad about him that he can't let go of his pain and torment. I just don't think you can excuse the flaws and lesser qualities for the writings of this season that "oh they wouldn't go full blown." Because that's not what I think happened completely. With all those qualities in mind, there's a lot you can unpack for a show like this and explore.

I think there was just all these peripheral characters that were distracting the central storyline and they were badly written or felt really forced. You can't tell me that the Madani subplots and the Lewis Wilson subplot were all sharp and well written characters and they really were the best aspects of this show. Then you have Frank constantly asserting himself in the life of Micro's family, and his wife romantically pursuing Frank, a subplot that became very predictable mind you.

Also these shows are still works of fiction at the end of the day. They aren't reality.

I find a lot of shows tend to have weaker subplots with secondary characters. A lot people seemed to hate the brother and sister neighbours in the first season of Jessica jones.

I didn't mind the subplots in punisher. I was never bored by them.

To me you don't ever have to go full blown revenge fantasy for Frank Castle. I think he's a tragic character. And I think there's something sad about him that he can't let go of his pain and torment. I just don't think you can excuse the flaws and lesser qualities for the writings of this season that "oh they wouldn't go full blown." Because that's not what I think happened completely. With all those qualities in mind, there's a lot you can unpack for a show like this and explore.

I think there was just all these peripheral characters that were distracting the central storyline and they were badly written or felt really forced. You can't tell me that the Madani subplots and the Lewis Wilson subplot were all sharp and well written characters and they really were the best aspects of this show. Then you have Frank constantly asserting himself in the life of Micro's family, and his wife romantically pursuing Frank, a subplot that became very predictable mind you.

Also these shows are still works of fiction at the end of the day. They aren't reality.

The shows being works of fiction doesn't change the fact that they're often shaped by real world events and the sociopolitical climate of the time. This is as good as an official adaptation of The Punisher is going to get in the current landscape.

I thought the stuff with Lewis was ****ing perfect and the moments with Micro's family were some of my favorite moments of the entire season. Madani is the shows weakest link, but I still enjoyed her character and was never uninterested in the stuff with Homeland.

They were able to remove the story from its revenge fantasy roots and turn it into a conspiracy drama that's also a borderline horror story about the American military and they were able to do it without it feeling like a copout. That's a hell of an accomplishment in my book.

Meh. It's Punisher, not Homeland or 24. He's called The Punisher because he punishes the wicked. To say the Lewis subplot was perfect is a stretch.

They probably just thought the morally grey murky War on Terror world would be a good place to set a anti-hero like the Punisher for a season. The Punisher has has had stories with off the rails spies, corrupt military men and crooked politicians before in the comics.

The Lewis plotline felt like it should of been his character that became Nuke instead of the guy in Jessica Jones.

late to the party I know. Just finished watching the season and I absolutely loved it. Best of the bunch by far imo. Berenthal deserves an Emmy. He was perfect.

Meh. It's Punisher, not Homeland or 24. He's called The Punisher because he punishes the wicked. To say the Lewis subplot was perfect is a stretch.

And he did. I thought the Lewis stuff perfect. I fully stand by that statement.

late to the party I know. Just finished watching the season and I absolutely loved it. Best of the bunch by far imo. Berenthal deserves an Emmy. He was perfect.

Not as late to the party as me. I have only seen through Episode 4, but I am loving the show. Jon Berenthal is Frank Castle.

Surfer

I love the Punisher war cry it reminds me of Rambo or Wolverine's primal yell...
its what I hear now when I see moments like this in the comics:

170px-PunisherWarZone1.jpg

I love the Punisher war cry it reminds me of Rambo or Wolverine's primal yell...
its what I hear now when I see moments like this in the comics:

170px-PunisherWarZone1.jpg

Question: who would win that contest, Wolverine or Punisher?

the show was ok overall, sometimes great, i especially liked Curtis and the Billy character... i always thought i even could watch a show about a normal random guy selling shoes in NY, as long as it is part of MCU, but they really could have shown us everything in half the episodes, many of the subplots could have been cut down, there simply wasn't enough action (fights) for me

while i loved it i do agree it may have benefited from fewer episodes...Maybe about 9-10 would've sufficed. To me there were a few too many visits to the Leiberman house. If they wanted to show the father and everyday man side of Frank they could've done that through more flashbacks of Frank with his own family.

I think this might be my favorite of the Netflix shows. I really had a great time with it. This and DD season 2 are in a tight race.

It is a bit of the stretch (it could be easiliy 8-9 episodes) but it is almost on par with DD 1 and 2. The main hero is played perfectly - Bernthal is flawless. In DD we have better secondary characters but in total the difference is not that significant. Generally - great show!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"