The Punisher The Punisher FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (NO SPOILER TAGS NECESSARY!)

That would ruin the character for me, which is ashame because this version of Punisher is now my favorite character in the MCU...don't mean to be a debbie downer but like someone said earlier, Frank doesn't do female attachments. If the writers do put them together it's only for fanservice to the shippers or whatever you call them.
I've pointed this out when this come out before. Frank Castle has done female attachments. He's done them many times over.

In fact, he and Elektra had a torrid affair when they were both in the Thunderbolts. It ticked off Deadpool.

Also, not that Frank had a romance this season. But if you are talking about fidelity to the source material, this comic changed a lot about his backstory. For starters, the whole government conspiracy with his own unit, the heroin dealers, and the CIA conspiring to kill Frank and his family because he knew too much about their operation.

Last edited:
Army of One and Streets of Laredo I've yet to read. Yeah, I don't know if Coney Island could work as stand in in for Hawaii.

Yep.

One character who I think could be fit in for the show is G.W. Bridge. Maybe in 3rd season if not second.

G.W. Bridge is part of the X-Men rights. Marvel combined him with Alphonso Mackenzie on AOS.

The only thing that bugged me in the reimagined origin is the fact the deaths of Frank's family were not as random as they were originally. In that sense Frank would have fought insanity with insanity. But they managed to stay faithful to the themes and bring the character into the modern age.

Also, not that Frank had a romance this season. But if you are talking about fidelity to the source material, this comic changed a lot about his backstory. For starters, the whole government conspiracy with his own unit, the heroin dealers, and the CIA conspiring to kill Frank and his family because he knew too much about their operation.

FWIW, heroin dealers in Frank's unit is from the comics. IIRC, it was the Return to Big Nothing storyline. That being said, the reason his family was killed is absolutely a huge change and one that almost changes the point of the character, imo. It's not this show's fault, though. The show was working with what was established there.

Frank's families death was random in the comics but there was a criminal conspiracy between the Costa mob and the cops in the aftermath. The reason Castle couldn't avenge his family through legal means was because the cops were corrupt and in league with the mob.
finished the binge watch and where is kingpin? Why isn't he out of jail yet? Also like the jigsaw setup for season 2

Kingpin is in jail biding his time. Fisk is seen next in Daredevil season 3 which started filming the other week so he will probably be out of jail on that show.

Except instead here, his family's death was basically a hit organized by the corrupt members of his marine unit and the CIA via Rawlins. It wasn't just like a random act of violence or a drug deal gone wrong or a gang war. It was all based on the fact that Frank was a loose end and knew too much.

But my point is this, you can't be OK with those type of changes and then tell me that Frank can never have romantic attachments. Frank Castle has had many romantic flings over the years. His wife is the true love of his life, but he's had romantic relationships. Dude is super focused on his war against crime and all that, but he's still a dude. He likes the ladies.

You also can't tell me they weren't sort of pushing Karen Page as a potential romantic partner for Frank Castle, between Micro calling Karen his girlfriend and everyone talking about the "connection" they have.

We can't be okay with the changes to the backstory and not be okay with Frank having romantic attachments? That's not a good argument imo. Does Frank have a secret identity now? Other than also being known as The Punisher people know he's Frank Castle. Having romantic attachments means anyone he gets close to in that way is constantly in danger because they could try to hurt him through them. That's part of the reason why no one knows Bruce Wayne is Batman or Peter Parker is Spiderman. The Punisher having a romantic relationship with someone doesn't make sense to me.

We can't be okay with the changes to the backstory and not be okay with Frank having romantic attachments? That's not a good argument imo. Does Frank have a secret identity now? Other than also being known as The Punisher people know he's Frank Castle. Having romantic attachments means anyone he gets close to in that way is constantly in danger because they could try to hurt him through them. That's part of the reason why no one knows Bruce Wayne is Batman or Peter Parker is Spiderman. The Punisher having a romantic relationship with someone doesn't make sense to me.
You're the one that claimed Frank doesn't do female attachments, which is blatantly false to anyone who is actually read or followed the comics. Frank has frequently had female attachments quite often. But you say it like it's some hard and fast rule the TV show must always follow. Well if that's a rule, then they shouldn't change his backstory the way they did in the TV series either.

Frank's female attachments are often more closely resembling the friends with benefits variety. Wouldn't really call it romantic as much as having carnal knowledge.

It is funny reading the old War Journal comics and seeing how often Frank ended up hooking up with whatever woman he teamed with.

So the consensus from all my non Punisher fan friends is that they love the series. My brother, who is definitely not a fan and is hard to impress, really liked the series. He loved the slow bits that a lot seemed to find boring.

So the consensus from all my non Punisher fan friends is that they love the series. My brother, who is definitely not a fan and is hard to impress, really liked the series. He loved the slow bits that a lot seemed to find boring.

I think non Punisher fans probably enjoyed the bits we thought were slow because they didn't expect the show to be like the comics so they came in not knowing what to expect and got a pretty good crime/conspiracy thriller out of it. I actually rewatched the first few episodes with this in mind and enjoyed them a lot more.

Frank's female attachments are often more closely resembling the friends with benefits variety. Wouldn't really call it romantic as much as having carnal knowledge.

Exactly Frank never had a Mary Jane or Lois Lane he might've had flings and sexual encounters like O'Brien but he was never a romantic character.

Neither does Frank knocking up O'Brien during Ennis' MAX era but it happened and his 3rd kid's with her aunt and uncle

0N3yJNE.png

I don't know if your thinking what I'm thinking, but I'm down for an Elektra show.

My faith in Marvel tv has been restored after the Inhumans hot mess.

Best Netflix Marvel show hands down. Not a single ****** ep. If I had to knock it, I would say the finale wasn't as exciting as the episode before it.

Solid show throughout though.

I think non Punisher fans probably enjoyed the bits we thought were slow because they didn't expect the show to be like the comics so they came in not knowing what to expect and got a pretty good crime/conspiracy thriller out of it. I actually rewatched the first few episodes with this in mind and enjoyed them a lot more.

Exactly Frank never had a Mary Jane or Lois Lane he might've had flings and sexual encounters like O'Brien but he was never a romantic character.
This is wrong. He has had numerous romances. To say he's also never had romance after the loss of his family is also wrong. Ahem

the-punisher-elektra.jpg

With Elektra is more than just carnal desires. They even went on a date at first.

I don't know if your thinking what I'm thinking, but I'm down for an Elektra show.

My faith in Marvel tv has been restored after the Inhumans hot mess.

Best Netflix Marvel show hands down. Not a single ****** ep. If I had to knock it, I would say the finale wasn't as exciting as the episode before it.

Solid show throughout though.

This was a rough year for Marvel TV. Iron Fist and Inhumans were both really bad and Defenders continued the MCU's reputation of weak villains.

This is wrong. He has had numerous romances. To say he's also never had romance after the loss of his family is also wrong. Ahem

the-punisher-elektra.jpg

With Elektra is more than just carnal desires. They even went on a date at first.

I always thought Elektra was more of a fling tbh.
This was a rough year for Marvel TV. Iron Fist and Inhumans were both really bad and Defenders continued the MCU's reputation of weak villains.

I don't think Russo falls into the bad villain category. He had 13 eps of development, and he get's to live another day.
Punisher is EASILY my favorite Netflix/Marvel show hands down.

You're the one that claimed Frank doesn't do female attachments, which is blatantly false to anyone who is actually read or followed the comics. Frank has frequently had female attachments quite often. But you say it like it's some hard and fast rule the TV show must always follow. Well if that's a rule, then they shouldn't change his backstory the way they did in the TV series either.

There's nothing that says Frank has a more-than-platonic interest in Karen. Even the little head-touching thing on the elevator, or Frank stroking her face as he checks for injuries? Those, we must remember, are being told from Karen's perspective so for all we know, Frank never did either of those things.

They need to tone down the bloodiness next season. All these people would get shot or beaten and lose so much blood and then just get up like nothing happened. I mean, Billy was shot in the face and yet he kept talking normally.

I think they radically changed Frank's character to appease the politically correct era of 2017. Maybe that wasn't it, but what kind of ending is that really? And how do you go back from that?
Uh, in what world was it "PC"? And it is easy to see where it goes from the ending. Especially as they did a Jigsaw origin and teased him...

It almost felt like a last minute revision.
It wrapped around to the first episode and connected to the overall narrative with the other soldiers. How did it seem like a revision? It is in every episode.

Last edited:
I don't think they need to tone down the violence but it was funny to see Rawlins got stabbed in the chest by Castle and seemed completely unaffected by it.

There's nothing that says Frank has a more-than-platonic interest in Karen. Even the little head-touching thing on the elevator, or Frank stroking her face as he checks for injuries? Those, we must remember, are being told from Karen's perspective so for all we know, Frank never did either of those things.
Him kissing her was not from her perspective. There's definitely something more going on. Why Karen imagine them touching foreheads from her perspective? That makes no sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"